Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:28:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Captain America: Civil War 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Captain America: Civil War  (Read 76574 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #35 on: August 28, 2015, 01:54:15 PM

If Jeph Loeb is involved (the guy who created the whole Red Hulk stupidity), it may not be that far-fetched a rumor. Dear GOD, I hope not, though. The Red Hulk was blindingly stupid.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: August 28, 2015, 02:01:19 PM

If we're ignoring spoiler tags....

Scarlet Witch isn't mentioned, but I believe we know she is in the film.

As for whether the Hulk / Red Hulk / Abomination third act is speculation or more: I called it a rumor for a reason. 

Those pictures are supposedly marketing art for merchandise liscensing.  Since Scarlet Witch and Spidey are not under full Marvel control they are not pictured.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: August 28, 2015, 04:11:48 PM

After avengers2 i am beyond worried about the Size of the cast here.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: August 28, 2015, 04:31:48 PM

They have so many characters, and ones that aren't getting solo movies, that they really need to put them in other movies for more exposure.  It's not as big a problem for having established characters pop in, but when you have to introduce new ones as well that's where the problems come in.  Although the story for this one kind of needs all these different heroes for the premise to work.  My biggest question is what's happening with all these actors contracts in terms of how many films they are signed for. 
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: September 02, 2015, 07:41:45 AM

I think based on the premise of the film all they need to establish is that the Avengers are recruiting (even franchising) and that we've had a huge uptick in masked heroes. Unless any of these guys are important for the plot just leave them as unnamed_henchman1 for whichever side and let geeks have fun IDing as many as possible and then bitching that Richter deserved a much fuller role because of his long and engrossing backstory and how the way he looked at Tony for 2 seconds before the fight broke out was totally out of character and he was so badly written.

Or whatever geeks do.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: September 03, 2015, 03:19:54 PM

Hulk and Banner supposedly not in CA:CW according to translated article.  http://www.blastr.com/2015-9-3/mark-ruffalo-reveals-hulk-was-cut-captain-america-civil-war-heres-why  However, this does not explain why he was on set...

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: September 04, 2015, 10:47:55 AM

So I just saw an interview with Chris Evans talking about how he only has one more Marvel film in his contract and that it is most likely his last one.  I think next to RDJ he'll be the one I am saddest to see go.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: September 04, 2015, 12:44:47 PM

So I just saw an interview with Chris Evans talking about how he only has one more Marvel film in his contract and that it is most likely his last one.  I think next to RDJ he'll be the one I am saddest to see go.
I'm wondering how the reorg and potential opening of the purse strings might change that... I think most of us know how they'll handle the character at the end of Civil War and those of us familiar with the Infinity Stones might have some theory about Cap's final appearance under contract under the current plan, but could they change that course and get him to come back here and there for a few more bucks....

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: September 04, 2015, 01:11:30 PM

One more after Civil War, Avengers 3 and Avengers 3 2, or just Civil War?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: September 04, 2015, 01:15:24 PM

He signed for 6.  3 Caps, 2 Avengers +1... it was confirmed that the cameo in Thor 2 did not count.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: September 04, 2015, 01:17:34 PM

Yeah not sure if they wrangled everyone into having the next two part Avengers movie to count as one in their contracts.  If not, Cap may die in the first Infinity War movie. 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #46 on: September 04, 2015, 03:46:34 PM

I expect Cap to age like he has in the comics rather than die, with the mantle being turned over to either Bucky or Falcon, like has happened in the comics.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #47 on: September 04, 2015, 04:11:21 PM

And yet in this interview clip posted today it sounds like he'd love to do more Marvel movies and is humorously aware that a lot of the movies he's done outside the MCU stuff hasn't been great.

Also his directorial debut Before We Go isn't getting the kindest reviews so that might help as well. I think passing the mantle on to Falcon or Bucky would only be a very short term solution anyway. These guys are all around the same age (Mackie is the oldest by a few years) and by the time Infinity War wraps up they will all have been doing these movies for quite a while so they likely wouldn't be getting many more movies out of Stan or Mackie than they would with Evans. at the end of the day, they need at least some of the new characters like Black Panther or Captain Marvel to be hits so they don't have to worry about trying to recycle Cap or Iron Man.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #48 on: September 04, 2015, 05:07:37 PM

Hulk and Banner supposedly not in CA:CW according to translated article.  http://www.blastr.com/2015-9-3/mark-ruffalo-reveals-hulk-was-cut-captain-america-civil-war-heres-why  However, this does not explain why he was on set...
If we're going to speculate: Flashback scene for a later project, like they did with Lucy Lawless in MAoS (in one episode for the season she was there for shooting, in three through flashbacks the next season).

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: September 04, 2015, 05:30:16 PM

Or he could just be visiting the set?   Ohhhhh, I see.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: September 05, 2015, 02:55:32 AM

Or post  credit cameo. I had vaguely thought he was going to appear in GotG2 and begin to link Thanos as an avengers antagonist, but based on nothing but wild guessing.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: September 08, 2015, 12:28:53 PM

Gunn for the third time confirmed that Hulk will not be in GotG2.  
https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/641004448303550469
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: September 08, 2015, 01:19:15 PM

Well, what would HE know about it?
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: September 08, 2015, 01:38:20 PM

Let's see what latino review has to say about this.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: September 08, 2015, 02:00:29 PM

But will we see Banner.

why so serious?

beer geek.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: September 08, 2015, 02:24:46 PM

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: September 09, 2015, 02:26:35 AM

Let's see what latino review has to say about this.

Heart

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: September 09, 2015, 05:18:05 PM

Anyone interested in a good chuckle should go through the Marvel Universe thread for the discussion of Civil War up and through the announcement it was coming. I'd forgotten just how opinionated some people were.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: September 09, 2015, 05:43:33 PM

I went to a random page in the marvel thread and saw JG mentioning how he was going back in the thread and looking at comments. 

I think we're in a time loop boys.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #59 on: September 09, 2015, 06:45:05 PM

Also I stand by everything I've ever said about Civil War as a story. It's complete shit. I trust the Russo bros. to make an entertaining movie, but they're going to be hamstrung a bit by the fact that the basic framework of the story, no matter how much you rework it, isn't great because by necessity it's going to require some characters to act like fucking idiots. Unless there's some elaborate fake-out here, Stark is going to have to end up siding with the government he's been desperately trying to keep his tech away from in his own movies and Captain America is going to have to decide that it's ok to disobey laws we don't agree with. And they both have to decide at some point that beating the shit out of each other is a reasonable way to solve the problem.

I'm willing and hoping to be surprised, but as a comic story to me Civil War existed solely to have all the heroes fighting each other even though it didn't make a bit of sense. Millar's attempts at being topical were just a masturbatory topping to make the story seem deeper than a kid playing with action figures. Likewise, Civil War here in the movies seems like the MCU version of an editorially mandated story that's just an excuse to have the Avengers fight each other (even though we already saw a bit of that in the first Avengers movie). Just come up with a contrived way of splitting them into two roughly equal teams, oh and throw in Black Panther and Spider-man while you're at it as well.

Ultimately I would have preferred Cap 3 to have been a follow-up to Winter Soldier rather than a follow-up to AOU.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: September 09, 2015, 08:54:27 PM

"Tony, why are you siding with the government now"
"Are you blind? We work for Shield - we've always sided with the government."

OR

"Who do you think I've made all my money from, selling my weapon systems to"

OR

"New information forced me to re-evaluate"

OR

"People change."

Done. Remember how Thor couldn't get back to Earth in Avengers 1 but then he did, with the explanation being one thowaway line of dialog?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: September 09, 2015, 09:19:46 PM

That whole part with thor is still stupid, the movie was just good enough to make you forget that. 

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #62 on: September 09, 2015, 10:14:21 PM

"Tony, why are you siding with the government now"
"Are you blind? We work for Shield - we've always sided with the government."

OR

"Who do you think I've made all my money from, selling my weapon systems to"

OR

"New information forced me to re-evaluate"

OR

"People change."

Done. Remember how Thor couldn't get back to Earth in Avengers 1 but then he did, with the explanation being one thowaway line of dialog?

Handwaving something away doesn't somehow make it good writing or consistent characterization. Good to see that all these years later you still haven't grasped that point.

Edit: Also, your handwavy dialog examples require Stark to be a fucking idiot, which again, is not consistent with the character. Shield was infiltrated by Hydra so it's not a good example of why they should sign on with the government and the entirety of IM1, the very fucking core of it, is Stark getting away from being weapons manufacturer for the government. Sure you can remove one of the core concepts of the character with a line of dialog, but why the fuck would you? You can have Thor show up as a frog and explain it with one line of dialog, but it doesn't mean that you should.

Beyond that, I'm not even sure what you're trying to argue with me here. I didn't say they can't have Stark take the government side. I specifically said that Civil War is a shitty framework to work with and that the reasons for what sides the characters choose are going to be contrived, and your counter-argument is to list a bunch of contrived justifications? What the fuck point do you think you're making?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 10:41:15 PM by Velorath »
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: September 10, 2015, 01:28:24 AM

Why would Stark with the government?

"Tony! Captain America has gone rogue and is aiding and abetting the Winter Soldier -  a known enemy of the state and Hydra lackey. Can you help us take him down?"

Alternatively, I would not be at all surprised if, unlike the comics, Stark is not on the side of the government at alll after leaving the Avengers at the end of AoU.

Strike that - there's probably a reason why the posters have him standing aside War Machine.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 01:34:50 AM by DraconianOne »

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #64 on: September 10, 2015, 02:00:48 AM

"Oh, you mean the guy I saved the world with twice now? Living legend of WWII who is in charge of the current team of Avengers? Yeah, oddly enough I have his number, here let me get this straightened out real quick."

"Ok, yeah I talked to him and it turns out that Winter Soldier guy is his best friend who was brainwashed for awhile after Hydra got a hold of him. Apparently his handler was the former Secretary of Defense Alexander Pierce, so it might be best if we just let Cap handle this one."
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: September 10, 2015, 03:29:52 AM

So... nobody wants to own where they were wrong? OK.

Don't forget that it looks like Winter Soldier killed Tony's parents...

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: September 10, 2015, 05:47:24 AM

I love how personally Velorath takes it when people don't like the same movies he does. It's so precious.

Handwaving something away doesn't somehow make it good writing or consistent characterization

If you want these things you're watching the wrong movies. That's my point. Tony Stark will join the government because a few lines of dialog weakly justify it - which is the explanation for 90% of things that happen in these movies.

I'm not saying that this hand-wavey explanations make sense or are great writing - I'm saying they are par for the course, what will happen, and are no more egregious than dozens of other things.

The Nova Core's big plan in Guardians was to form a giant space net out of manned spaceships. These are turn your brain off movies.

Yeah, oddly enough I have his number, here let me get this straightened out real quick

"Oh no, residual Ultron nanites are blocking communication!"

Edit: Wasn't Iron Man not going to join the Avengers at the end of IM2, or be just a reserve member or something? The continuity between these movies has never been good.

If up to this point the plots and characterization had all made sense I might agree that yes, Civil War is stretching things. But that's not the reality. Our reality is that Hydra can practically take over the world in one movie then in the next movie they've been completely defeated offsceen (I guess in the TV show lol) and Hydra is now just Ward and two swarthy-looking extras that happened to be hanging out at the same bar.

Our reality is that a guy dies and then is brought back to life immediately because they need a movie actor to put in a TV show, or that Nick Fury can have a spare helicarrier buried in his lawn or some shit.

What happens in these movies is just whatever needs to happen to get to a set piece.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 06:06:07 AM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: September 10, 2015, 05:53:07 AM

There is one person on these boards that cares about this and I know it's not me.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #68 on: September 10, 2015, 07:52:13 AM

Don't keep me in suspense. Who is it?  why so serious?

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: September 10, 2015, 08:27:10 AM

beer geek.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Captain America: Civil War  
Jump to: