Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:14:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Dr. Strange 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Strange  (Read 45681 times)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: May 31, 2015, 04:15:30 PM

Are we going to talk about the FF more in this thread than the thread for that piece of junk....?

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: May 31, 2015, 07:20:42 PM

Says the guy who kicked off the thread whilst muttering about ethnic redefinition.

Also, welcome to F13. During your travels here, you may notice that we go off topic from time to time.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #37 on: May 31, 2015, 08:32:34 PM

Also there's a reason why a lot of the time we wait until a trailer is out to make a thread. "Supporting character is cast" is not exactly a great conversation starter.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: May 31, 2015, 09:06:04 PM

Yeah but at least we know the Marvel movies are 100% going to be released.  If this was like a thread for DC's Aquaman or something then I would understand.   awesome, for real
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: June 01, 2015, 04:42:57 AM

I'm most intrigued at this point by the statement that they're not going to do an origin movie per se. They still have to do the origin at some point in the film--and especially with this character. The one thing that distinguishes him from Mandrake the Magician or some other mystic dude is the origin--the rare case of an adult superhero with an adult story (not that kind of adult, though Strange also has a pretty good sex life in the comics). But you can just reduce that to a character-establishing hook at some point. No, what I wonder really is: what are they going to use at the main story?

We know Mordo's in it, I think, so that narrows the field a lot. If they're adapting a classic Strange story, it'll probably be the big Mordo/Dormammu v. Strange story that ran through most of the early Lee-Ditko Strange issues. Lot of good story beats in there. Be curious to see if they send Strange to the Dark Dimension or to meet Eternity--that opens up a lot of new visual and narrative moods for the MCU as seen to date.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: June 01, 2015, 03:19:47 PM

They can do the origin in 1 minute - as they did in the credits for Hulk.  They can also continue to reveal bits about the Sorcerer Supreme in the other shows and movies.  I expect we'll hear more about him before he hits the big screen.  I would not be surprised if we get our first glimpse of him during next season's SHIELD, even if it is a 5 second reveal in the coda of an episode...

I'm betting the story involves Eternity and Death (to tie into Thanos) in addition to Mordo and Dormammu.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: June 01, 2015, 05:28:48 PM

I am thinking they will stay away from Death--I think Thanos' motivation is just going to be "I want to rule the entire universe". Bring Death into it and you start to verge uncomfortably towards scales of action that all the human characters, even a Sorcerer Supreme, seem irrelevant against. It's one problem the mainstream Marvel Universe has had over time--the banalization of "cosmic entities" so that Death and Love and so on become just really powerful superbeings.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #42 on: June 01, 2015, 06:06:39 PM

They can do the origin in 1 minute - as they did in the credits for Hulk.  They can also continue to reveal bits about the Sorcerer Supreme in the other shows and movies.  I expect we'll hear more about him before he hits the big screen.  I would not be surprised if we get our first glimpse of him during next season's SHIELD, even if it is a 5 second reveal in the coda of an episode...

I'm betting the story involves Eternity and Death (to tie into Thanos) in addition to Mordo and Dormammu.

The Hulk is a much better known character, and a lot of the audience is aware of the fact that if Banner gets angry he transforms against his will into large green monster. They aren't going to do any one minute summaries of Dr. Strange's origin, and I wouldn't expect to see much if anything dropped into TV shows (and Civil War is already looking pretty full). I'm guessing this isn't an "origin" movie in the sense that it's not a chronological telling of his story from his time as a surgeon through his training as in magic, culminating in his first major battle with an enemy. They'll probably still do quite a bit of his origin in flashbacks, but at the start of the movie he will already likely be well-trained in magic if not fully established as Sorcerer Supreme.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: June 01, 2015, 06:28:48 PM

Isn't that how Batman Begins worked? Some flashbacks to his training / origins but the plot of the movie wasn't an origin plot per se? (I genuinely don't remember but I think that's how it went)

I'd expect something very similar. I mean - the origins are pretty much the same. Travel to mystical Asian place, get training from cool old guy, etc. This is also how the animated movie worked IIRC. (The best Marvel animated movie IMO)

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: June 01, 2015, 07:38:08 PM

Also I think they can draw the motivation of Death without explicitly going into the anthropomorphic side of things. Thanos could be conceptually in 'love' with death and wants to murder all life in tribute. Have Death as more a religion for him or something, even though that does turn him into more a religious fanatic than a being powerful enough to have tete a tetes with the personification of a universal force.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: June 02, 2015, 06:39:58 AM

I think that's about the only way it works, yes--but even then it's pretty cornball. It's a bit like 4th Season Babylon 5 when we realized that yup, the Shadows and the Vorlons are really just lords of Chaos and Order, and a lot of the mystery and complexity went out of them like a punctured tire.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: June 02, 2015, 06:50:46 AM

Maybe, but it was nice to know they could cast Gooey Blob when they needed to.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: June 11, 2015, 12:12:24 PM

Chiwetel Ejiofor is our Baron Mordo, although it sounds like this Baron Mordo will merge a few Strange villains into one (much as the villain in Ant-man is a mix of a few characters).

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: June 11, 2015, 01:16:37 PM

Magic is obviously British in the MCU.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: June 11, 2015, 10:32:24 PM

In the comics too, for whatever reason British heroes (they had an MI7 run for a bit with Excalibur) tend to be magic focused.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: June 12, 2015, 06:47:37 AM

Merlin and whatnot.  Pip pip.  Wot wot.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: August 27, 2015, 12:38:50 PM

beer geek.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: August 27, 2015, 02:25:08 PM

Ejiofor is already Mordo so?

Seems a waste to cast Mikkelsen if you're going to put CGI flame over his face, so either they have a different idea about how to do Dormammu or the other Bad Guy is going to be somebody else.

He'd make a great Nightmare.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: August 27, 2015, 09:03:23 PM

He'd make a great Nightmare.
Mephisto or Nightmare were my guesses. Perhaps a Norse figure... we do need to get the Eye from Odin's vault, at least in theory.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 08:51:48 AM by jgsugden »

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: December 15, 2015, 10:05:46 AM

A note on who is writing on Doc Strange... (bad news for those of you that hate AICN):

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/73989

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: December 15, 2015, 08:34:46 PM

AICN has produced some ok writers. One of the guys from there wrote a Masters of Horror episode that was very good, for example. As long as it's not Harry or one of the other huge idiots I don't mind.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: December 28, 2015, 08:14:56 AM

beer geek.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: December 28, 2015, 08:52:49 AM

I think he looks spot on.  Whether that works on film or not will depend on the aesthetics of the film.  My hopes are still high, but until I see one of the special effects intensive trailers, I'm going to be nervous...

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: December 28, 2015, 09:51:40 AM

beer geek.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: December 28, 2015, 10:34:43 AM

Not much reimagining in those. I wasn't expecting the blue and red robe.

Not a lot else to say.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #60 on: December 28, 2015, 11:44:47 AM

Yeah, I was hoping for some sort of reimagined attire. They did a good job on Cap, Thor, Falcon, Widow and Hawkeye so this is almost disappointing.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #61 on: December 28, 2015, 11:57:16 AM

I would've been surprised if the cloak wasn't red. The shirt doesn't need to blue, however.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: December 28, 2015, 12:09:51 PM

It makes me really curious what the other players in the game will look like...

I also wonder if this is a way of telling us, "This IS Dr. Strange, not a watered down version.  You're getting the comic character inserted into the MCU, not a hedge like we did with Thor.  Full costume, full sorcery, full everything."

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: December 28, 2015, 12:11:41 PM

Yeah, I was hoping for some sort of reimagined attire. They did a good job on Cap, Thor, Falcon, Widow and Hawkeye so this is almost disappointing.

Honestly, Stranges outfit looks right up thre with the others in terms of "faithfull to the source material, but tweaked to not look stupid".

It does crack me up a bit that we've come full circle from the days of people complaining when wolverine wasn't wearing yellow spandex to those complaining that it's TOO similar.

beer geek.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #64 on: December 28, 2015, 01:23:56 PM

Yeah they didn't travel very far afield on that costume did they?  why so serious?

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: December 28, 2015, 02:04:43 PM

Mads Mikkelsen's role has been somewhat revealed, but not by name. 

http://comicbook.com/2015/12/28/mads-mikkelsen-to-play-main-villain-in-doctor-strange/

A bunch of different names they could use, but it sounds like a mix of a few different ideas including Mordo, who is another role in the film.  I'm wondering if they'll use Xander as the name for the character - the character it is a rough fit for the description.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: December 28, 2015, 02:07:19 PM

Yeah they didn't travel very far afield on that costume did they?  why so serious?

The Wolverine one? That was my point.

beer geek.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #67 on: December 28, 2015, 02:30:27 PM

No, I meant the Dr. Strange one. I'll have to see him in more than just costume shots devoid of context. After all, the original shots of the Flash costume were kind of dark looking but in context it looks great, especially now that they have the white symbol on the chest.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: December 28, 2015, 03:58:31 PM

It does crack me up a bit that we've come full circle from the days of people complaining when wolverine wasn't wearing yellow spandex to those complaining that it's TOO similar.

Different people. And no actual complaining.

FWIW I was expecting something more like this...

or this

But only based on what they'd done with the other characters.

The other thing I couldn't help but notice on the EW cover was how much the stance and facial hair looks like Iron Man.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 04:06:01 PM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: December 28, 2015, 04:13:59 PM

Ok, I think I know what Mikklesen is playing.

It's Kaluu.

Which I think is a great idea and a smart way to play around with the character/mythos. Much better than Dormammu.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Dr. Strange  
Jump to: