Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2024, 11:22:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Dr. Strange 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Strange  (Read 46006 times)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: November 07, 2016, 05:21:39 PM

They're not backing away from the "magic is sort of science" approach at all. That grounds the magic in many ways which manifested in the way the magic battles took place. They were less fantastic and more mechanical than we see in the comics. I enjoyed it, but it didn't quite scratch the itch. However, it was still a great movie. There was just a touch of Sam Raimi style humor in there... I'm wondering if that is what came from Dan Harmon...

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: November 08, 2016, 06:49:15 AM

I thought I spotted all of Harmon's jokes and they were pretty bad--they stuck out awkwardly. The thing about Wong just having one name, etc.  The cape was funnier than any of the dialogue.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #142 on: November 08, 2016, 06:59:03 AM

The wifi password was pretty good.  Caught me completely off-guard.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: November 08, 2016, 12:03:16 PM

The wifi password was pretty good.  Caught me completely off-guard.

Pissed me off because it's another one of those regional tricks they do.  Strange should have said "What's Shambala?" but instead didn't specify what was on the card because the text will change depending on the region the movie plays in.  Basically it's a half assed joke.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #144 on: November 11, 2016, 02:20:43 PM

Never read a Strange comic. Saw the movie Wednesday. In the grand scheme of the Marvel movies since 2012, I would put it close to last (last being anything Fantastic Four) but that doesn't mean it was bad. The folding and rolling buildings as the backdrop was meh to me.  I enjoyed it for the most part, though.

I have never played WoW.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #145 on: November 14, 2016, 09:58:53 AM

Honestly, it's my 3rd favorite Marvel flick (after Cap 1 and Spidey 1). Nothing too deep, but good fun and caught the feel of the character and setting. Bonus points for making it for Cumberbitches, as well...I'll probably be seeing it in IMAX 3D if we can get over to that theater in time, she loved it (in our local 3D theater).

Too bad they can't use mutants, would love to see Magik as an acolyte in the next one.

Because yeah.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: November 14, 2016, 12:49:17 PM

Seriously - has nobody seen this high yet?

Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: November 14, 2016, 06:16:46 PM

I've heard this before, and I feel like this is the kind of movie people who don't get high would think is fun while high. But would actually be fairly boring while high.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: November 14, 2016, 07:42:33 PM

I'll wait for the research.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: November 14, 2016, 08:00:05 PM

I've heard this before, and I feel like this is the kind of movie people who don't get high would think is fun while high. But would actually be fairly boring while high.
That was my take on it.

If you want to know what being high is like, watch the MTV music awards sober (assuming you're over 40). Weird shit and constant confusion.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: November 15, 2016, 01:21:43 PM

Uhhhh... do you guys really think that most people don't know what it is like to be high? 

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: November 15, 2016, 03:34:09 PM

Yes.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #152 on: November 15, 2016, 05:36:03 PM

I don't

Did blackout drunk once, despise the loss of control and memory. Dislike the awareness but lack of control of regular drunk.   Not trying high.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: November 16, 2016, 09:39:46 AM

Uhhhh... do you guys really think that most people don't know what it is like to be high? 

Yeah, never been high before and only had mild drunkenness from back in college.  Not everyone does recreational stuff, mostly for reasons.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: November 16, 2016, 01:28:24 PM

Based upon my experience in life, you're in the minority.  I'm not saying everybody has been high, but most people I've known have been.

Nothing wrong with being on either side of that experience, btw. 

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: November 16, 2016, 01:39:27 PM

Depends on who you run with and where, reallly. When I was in a band, everyone I knew smoked pot and got blackout drunk. Now that I don't do either, almost nobody I know does or has, either.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #156 on: November 16, 2016, 01:44:29 PM

Yeah, based on my experience and friends those who tried pot are in the minority, nevermind harder drugs. I met more people who smoked from working in an office of creatives than I had from the rest of my life up to that point.

It's all about you and the people you enjoy spending time around.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: November 17, 2016, 09:00:24 AM

When I was thinking about jumping back into the music scene and hanging out with a talented singer/producer a couple years ago, I'd go to various venues. Once I was with a few 'new friends' (post-music scene life) and they kept giving me funny looks when the singer dude would keep dropping by to let me know about parking lot events (ie: drugs). One of the weird things about post-band life was finding out drugs weren't free (I mean, I knew they weren't, but I rarely had to pay for them if I were so inclined).

And the funnier thing (to me) was his confusion every time I'd tell him, "Nah, I'm good."

Hell, I don't even know if I'd smoke if it were legalized in NY and I used to looooove smoking pot.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #158 on: November 17, 2016, 03:12:02 PM

Eh, weird place for this topic, but my stance on drugs is simple: I decided that my grip on reality was too tenuous to grease the rungs, and gave them up early. There aren't any drugs that I find the experience pleasant, pot makes me paranoid, for example.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #159 on: November 17, 2016, 03:34:32 PM

I used to consider myself a borderline alcoholic until I dated a girl who regularly got blackout drunk (totally new thing for me to even witness, I've never managed to hit that level of intoxication even when I've done stupid things with Everclear) and ran with a crowd for whom that (plus assorted drug use) was considered completely normal. 

I mean I might still be a borderline alcoholic regardless, but it showed me how completely different your perception of "normal usage levels" is based on who you hang out with.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: November 17, 2016, 04:21:55 PM

I mean I might still be a borderline alcoholic regardless, but it showed me how completely different your perception of "normal usage levels" is based on who you hang out with.
Truth.  My circle of friends from back in the day did do stuff regularly, but now that I'm a 9-5er with a respectable job, not a single person I know does anything harder than booze and most haven't even tried drugs or marijuana.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: November 18, 2016, 12:43:09 AM

No sense in arguing over stuff a Google search answers. A  Gallup poll in 2015 said 44% of Americans admit to having tried pot. Obviously, different social circles will skew the numbers,  so some people won't know anyone that has ever been high and in other social circles everyone has been high. However, if 44% admitEd it, it is safe to say most people have either been high or have seen it enough to understand it, even if they do not partake. Heck, the 44% number only includes pot and doesn't include people that have only been high on nitrous, sniffing, pills, etc...  It is also from before the start of 2016.  Legalization expanded twice since then - start of 2016 saw expanded legalization in several states and post election in November 2016 saw immediate legalization in California.

I'm in California, have about 9 years education beyond high school, have social circles that span gaming to theater, and have worked in everything from banks to law firms with people from all across the nation... and I'd say the percentage of people I've known that has been high (pot) is closer to 80% amongst the hundreds of people I have known well.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: November 18, 2016, 03:45:48 AM

I'm in California, have about 9 years education beyond high school, have social circles that span gaming to theater, and have worked in everything from banks to law firms with people from all across the nation... and I'd say the percentage of people I've known that has been high (pot) is closer to 80% amongst the hundreds of people I have known well.
I'm a white collar professional that interacts with blue collar workers in the Deep South at a government agency where any drug use is cause for termination. The amount who have actually done marijuana here is extremely low and it's still viewed as a gateway drug. My social circle in California used to have cultivators and I was probably one of 2 people in that group that didn't partake. Point is where you live and who you interact with color the issue considerably...
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: November 18, 2016, 05:53:04 AM

A surprisingly large number of companies do random testing (any with a DoT contract, for instance) and "Random drug testing" means "Are you actually drunk or on drugs right now, plus, have you smoked pot in the last month".

That's all it does. It can tell whether you're on something now. The only drug it's decent at detecting anything older than a day or three is pot. They might as well call it "random stoner testing".
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: November 18, 2016, 12:15:05 PM

... Point is where you live and who you interact with color the issue considerably...
Already acknowledged... nobody is arguing that there are no social circles that have less/no exposure to pot.   

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: November 18, 2016, 05:07:24 PM

No sense in arguing over stuff a Google search answers. A  Gallup poll in 2015 said 44% of Americans admit to having tried pot. Obviously, different social circles will skew the numbers,  so some people won't know anyone that has ever been high and in other social circles everyone has been high. However, if 44% admitEd it, it is safe to say most people have either been high or have seen it enough to understand it, even if they do not partake. Heck, the 44% number only includes pot and doesn't include people that have only been high on nitrous, sniffing, pills, etc...  It is also from before the start of 2016.  Legalization expanded twice since then - start of 2016 saw expanded legalization in several states and post election in November 2016 saw immediate legalization in California.

Market Size and Demand for Marijuana in Colorado

Check out the table on page two. Unsurprisingly (at least for cannabis) a small proportion of the users account for a huge percentage of the demand. So the statistics about how many people have tried a drug don't really have any bearing on how it is actually being used.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: November 18, 2016, 07:07:03 PM

And? The question on the table, which has been discussed to death, was how many people have been high, not how often they get high.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: November 18, 2016, 07:16:11 PM

This thread took a weird turn.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: November 18, 2016, 08:46:14 PM

I thought the movie was good, and I saw it stoned, drunk and on pain medications. Wasn't strange enough to warrant a drug discussion for 2 pages.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: November 19, 2016, 02:37:15 AM

And? The question on the table, which has been discussed to death, was how many people have been high, not how often they get high.

I thought the question was whether people here had seen this high, and this table supports the idea that the actual proportion of the population that is regularly high is actually quite small. So it's not all that surprising, especially once you factor in the demographics of people who post on this board, that the answer is not that many.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #170 on: November 19, 2016, 05:24:56 AM

If you're defining high as pot in this case and wondering how it would effect one's viewing of the movie, I'm guessing that at the very least you don't have much experience with it personally. Asking if anybody has seen this high yet sounds like something a 14 year old would ask if their experience with weed was watching Half Baked and one time getting some second-hand smoke from a joint that one of the friends found and was trying to smoke despite it being nothing but ash left.

It's not like we're talking about watching Inception on acid or shrooms here. Dr. Strange is a fairly straight-forward Marvel origin story with a few scenes of cool imagery and pot isn't going to drastically alter your perception like a hallucinogen. People that watch Dr. Strange high are likely going to be people that watch most movies high.
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: November 19, 2016, 08:46:14 AM

If you're defining high as pot in this case and wondering how it would effect one's viewing of the movie, I'm guessing that at the very least you don't have much experience with it personally. Asking if anybody has seen this high yet sounds like something a 14 year old would ask if their experience with weed was watching Half Baked and one time getting some second-hand smoke from a joint that one of the friends found and was trying to smoke despite it being nothing but ash left.

It's not like we're talking about watching Inception on acid or shrooms here. Dr. Strange is a fairly straight-forward Marvel origin story with a few scenes of cool imagery and pot isn't going to drastically alter your perception like a hallucinogen. People that watch Dr. Strange high are likely going to be people that watch most movies high.

Nailed it.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: November 19, 2016, 07:16:36 PM

Back on topic, I went to see the movie today finally. Actually really enjoyed it even though it was "just" an origin movie. A few of the astral scenes and the CGI out-of-body Stuff felt a little cheesy in the beginning but overall, I thought the effects were really well done. I enjoyed myself.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: November 19, 2016, 08:20:08 PM

If you're defining high as pot in this case and wondering how it would effect one's viewing of the movie, I'm guessing that at the very least you don't have much experience with it personally. ...
Nailed it.
Think for 5 seconds. When I've said that nearly eveyone I''ve known smokes pot, eveyone social circle I've been in has smoked pot... and your conclusion is I do not have much experience.

If I'd tried to avoid pot I don't think I could have. And I rarely passed. Well, I passed it, but did not pass on it often.

And I have no idea why you guys think this would not be great high. I'll let you know if I get the chance.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #174 on: November 19, 2016, 10:20:57 PM

If you're defining high as pot in this case and wondering how it would effect one's viewing of the movie, I'm guessing that at the very least you don't have much experience with it personally. ...
Nailed it.
Think for 5 seconds. When I've said that nearly eveyone I''ve known smokes pot, eveyone social circle I've been in has smoked pot... and your conclusion is I do not have much experience.

When you're talking about the percentage of people who you know that smoke and searching for statistics on google, yes that was exactly the conclusion I came to. There was nothing in any of your posts that suggested firsthand experience.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Dr. Strange  
Jump to: