Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:14:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: RIP John Nash 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP John Nash  (Read 2024 times)
K9
Terracotta Army

on: May 24, 2015, 04:44:15 PM

John Nash and wife died in the back of a taxi which crashed on the NJ Turnpike

Shamelessly lifted from reddit since it's a nice summary:

This sucks. The guy was one of the smartest people alive.

He wrote three papers in two years that could have been nominated for and won the Nobel prize in the field of Economics. It's not even remotely hyperbolic to state that he is the foundation which modern day Game Theory is built upon. Solutions in non-cooperative game theory are noted as "Nash equilibria" he is that ubiquitous with the subject

Yet, that could be considered his second biggest achievement. He was decades ahead of his time when it comes to his work on encryption techniques and cryptology. He analysed the distinction between polynomial time and exponential time computation ten years before people realised it was the issue. A distinction that forms the basis of computational complexity theory. Additionally, he Proposed the Nash Embedding theory and Solved Hilbert's nineteenth problem which he probably should have won the fields medal for.

The world has lost a great, albeit troubled, mind today.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 06:34:58 PM

Oh dang. I didn't even realize he was still alive - a name that big almost has to be historical. RIP.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 08:00:16 PM

I didn't realize he was still alive either. So sad that it could have been prevented too. Everyone else involved was wearing seatbelts and walked away.  They were in the back of the cab and were ejected.  Rip.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 09:11:41 PM

I didn't realize he was still alive either. So sad that it could have been prevented too. Everyone else involved was wearing seatbelts and walked away.  They were in the back of the cab and were ejected.  Rip.

Makes you understand why taxis in many places now prominently display  signs saying that seat belts are required for all passengers

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 07:39:39 PM

Horrible and sad.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: RIP John Nash  
Jump to: