Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:40:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Bard's Tale IV: A tale of a kickstarter 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Bard's Tale IV: A tale of a kickstarter  (Read 21500 times)
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: September 20, 2018, 10:42:25 PM

It isn't Bard's Tale.

They think its Bard's Tale because somewhere through the years it seems Brian Fargo decided Bard's Tale is an IP about his Gaelicphile lore and it kinda being a rpg with magical music.  I just wanted a new party based rpg with turn based combat and the sort of tight dungeon design you get from grid movement.  

You start the game with a single character that you don't get to create (later you can change your character, and they just magically polymorph into your choice) with only one other party slot open that gets used by pre-generated NPC's.  I haven't got to the point yet where I have earned a Mercenary Token which is what you need to grow your party, this is obviously worlds away from starting your game with your party of 6 characters you make yourself.

For me the combat further increases the divide.  Your whole party has a shared pool of action points, which means per turn you can potentially blow all the points with one character and the other is forced to stand there and do nothing.  I can't invest in this sort of ideal, its not a proper party to me if I'm not giving orders to each one, and their actions are their own and not limited by what I did with another character.

Personally I don't need 3d.  I wish now, especially with how ugly the game is, that they had emulated the style of the original games more and invested in a beautiful 2d style rather than this mess.

Lile Falconeer I am having far more fun with the remastered version of Bards Tale 1.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 10:46:24 PM by Wasted »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #71 on: September 23, 2018, 07:47:45 PM

Also, check out this:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/566540/Labyrinth_of_Refrain_Coven_of_Dusk/

Yep, "anime bullshit" (and steep price for now) as TB used to say, but it seems pretty good for a M&M/Wizardry blobber/dungeon crawler.

Lucas is very right. Labyrinth of Refrain is awesome. Made by the Disgaea people.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: November 30, 2018, 08:24:17 AM

Teaser for the remake of Bard's Tale 3. It looks great, and if only they did Bard's Tale 4 like this. Idiots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAcUTNs4cbs

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #73 on: November 30, 2018, 11:27:17 AM

Teaser for the remake of Bard's Tale 3. It looks great, and if only they did Bard's Tale 4 like this. Idiots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAcUTNs4cbs

Great stuff  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Yeah, Bard's Tale 3 was "more of the same", but impressive in its scope: I mean, reaching the last level of the dungeon beneath Skara Brae  to face Brilhasti ap Tarj felt like a standalone game...And then you were just at the beginning of your journey! Anyway, getting the remastered version means we're also getting the "legacy mode" of BT 1-3, which should basically mean original trilogy gameplay, stripped down of every "shortcut" the remasters offer (I'll just tick the automap feature, if possible), but with updated graphics. Can't wait.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: August 28, 2019, 01:47:09 AM

The Director's Cut was released yesterday. It fixes and improves lots of things from last year's release. The best part for me though is that it has been added instantly to the XBox PC pass, so basically if you are paying for that subscription (and why wouldn't you at $5 a month) you get it for almost free.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Bard's Tale IV: A tale of a kickstarter  
Jump to: