Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:25:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Bard's Tale IV: A tale of a kickstarter 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Bard's Tale IV: A tale of a kickstarter  (Read 21499 times)
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: May 21, 2015, 04:41:42 PM

I appreciate your positivity Falc, but Wasteland 2 was not something that makes one want to back these people to produce a fun game.

I admit I am biased on this one, but you also should admit that it's not like everyone disliked Wasteland 2 as much as you did. Trying to summon a global appreciation average, an 81 Metacritic score (over 65 reviews) doesn't exactly speak of a product so bad you want to stay away from anything else that company will produce.

He hated Borderlands, too, so his fun centre, Q Zone or whatever might be broken.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: May 21, 2015, 08:27:41 PM

I don't like the type of game borderlands is. Not because of the quality of it though.

I'm not on my pat malone re Wasteland 2.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: June 01, 2015, 07:07:57 AM

So, if you back this with the first 24 hours of the Kickstarter, you get a free game, Wasteland 2, The Witcher or Witcher 2.

http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/read/35087/Back-Bards-Tale-IV-in-1st-24-Hours-Get-Free-Games.html
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: June 02, 2015, 06:12:02 AM

$20 early bird tier, combined with free copy of wasteland 2 in first 24 hours its really nice. I do have all those games already, but $20 is nothing.

Its nice that they give an honest date of october 2017.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 06:27:00 AM by Gimfain »

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #39 on: June 04, 2015, 07:26:30 AM

Well, Unreal Engine 4 looks good (in-engine video) Heart Heart

https://youtu.be/fVB6dSckvJI

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #40 on: June 04, 2015, 07:45:51 AM

I have to say... not what I was expecting. This turned me off quite a bit.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: June 04, 2015, 07:49:00 AM

In-Engine is not In-Game.

Don't base your expectations one way or the other on that video.  That'd be like judging Wildstar by its cinematic videos.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: June 04, 2015, 07:59:23 AM

I don't know. I think I was expecting and hoping for less flash, and more grid based movement.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: June 04, 2015, 09:39:10 AM

Since their opening launch docs said they were going for free-form movement then snapping to a grid for combat, your hopes were never going to be realized.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: June 04, 2015, 10:06:38 AM

It's just a lot of shiny graphics to entice more backers. I'd be much more interested to see what combat is like... but apparently they're still figuring that out.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: June 04, 2015, 10:10:52 AM

"Hey, man, it's dark in this enclosed airless space."

"Yeah, let's set it on FIRE."

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: June 05, 2015, 02:58:19 AM

Since their opening launch docs said they were going for free-form movement then snapping to a grid for combat, your hopes were never going to be realized.

Quote from: Official Kickstarter Page
Like the originals, movement and dungeon design is grid-based, but the game allows you to toggle the grid off and move freely if you prefer.

:(

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: June 05, 2015, 05:49:56 AM

Yep, looks like combat view/style will be, let's say, "heavily influenced" by backers and funding.

Regarding the grid based vs. free roam, let's wait a bit: the expected gameplay for this kind of title could be unaffected by that decision (or by a simple toggle).

Meanwhile, funding is going better than expected, honestly: they passed the One Million mark (1,250,000 is the goal).

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: June 05, 2015, 07:10:02 AM

I am happy if they move away from the grid-based movement, as long as it makes an improvement to the feeling of the game. Then again, it will be released in 2017, not in 1997 so it shouldnt be too hard to make it feel right

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: August 11, 2018, 04:02:08 AM

While we wait, on August 14th, Krome Studios will release the remaster of Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown (after a failed attempt by former BT3 programmer and designer Rebecca Heineman):

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ7w5rof1GI

https://store.steampowered.com/app/843260/The_Bards_Tale_Trilogy/

As you can read in the description, within the end of the year we'll also get the other two chapters, plus a "legacy" mode for those old geezers who would like to replicate the original experience while keeping the updated graphics . Beside some QoL changes you can clearly see in the screenshots, I think the developers cut a bit of the initial grind: in the first chapter, Skara Brae buildings and the Wine Cellar were quite a chore.

I must say that I like the "paint over", it keeps the flavour of the original style, albeit without pixellation.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: August 11, 2018, 04:09:46 AM

Hmm. I think I still have a few pads of graph paper I stole from work in the '80s, I should be good to go!
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: August 11, 2018, 04:28:05 AM

Even better here are two pictures of the original cluebook (still with the notes we took back then, of course) me and my father used back in 1987 when we  played it on the Atari ST  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? Heart Heart

Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: August 11, 2018, 04:58:22 AM

Looks pretty nice.  Bard's Tale was the first game I bought back in the 80's, but I never got around to playing the sequels.  I guess I can stop pestering GOG about getting the games now.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: August 11, 2018, 05:21:45 AM

Looks pretty nice.  Bard's Tale was the first game I bought back in the 80's, but I never got around to playing the sequels.  I guess I can stop pestering GOG about getting the games now.

The originals (DOS version) are available on GOG if you buy 2004's Bard's Tale (ugh):

https://www.gog.com/game/the_bards_tale

Remastered trilogy (and Bard's Tale IV as well) will also be available on GOG:

https://www.gog.com/game/the_bards_tale_trilogy
https://www.gog.com/game/the_bards_tale_iv_barrows_deep

WayAbvPar

Reply #54 on: August 11, 2018, 12:36:58 PM

I got the original trilogy a few months back when I bought into IV. Got to the first Mad God dungeon before my gaming ADD made me squirrel off to something else. I will probably start over with the new versions.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
WayAbvPar

Reply #55 on: August 14, 2018, 12:40:21 PM

Bought the updated trilogy. Definitely has some QOL improvements, but it feels a bit off for some reason I can't put my finger on. One thing I really don't like is you have to input each movement command with a key stroke instead of holding down on a key. Really annoying.

e- another (possibly fatal) flaw- the game auto-pauses when the window lose focus. So you have to sit there in the window while your casters recharge spell points instead of surfing the web or doing anything else. Just terrible. Who fucking tested this?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 12:58:07 PM by WayAbvPar »

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: September 18, 2018, 05:11:14 PM

Was going to install this tonight and give it a go for a bit before I saw it was 55 GB.  55 GB. ACK!  Also, it's getting a lot of negative reviews on Steam for performance issues and not being what fans of the original series were expecting.
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: September 19, 2018, 09:17:31 AM

Was going to install this tonight and give it a go for a bit before I saw it was 55 GB.  55 GB. ACK!  Also, it's getting a lot of negative reviews on Steam for performance issues and not being what fans of the original series were expecting.

I played through the first few sections and honestly I am not impressed.  Lot's of mechanics problems.  And bugs,m oh lord the bugs (weapons disapearing, vendors not working, etc...)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #58 on: September 19, 2018, 09:28:53 AM

Sounds like quality inXile craftsmanship to me. For added laughs, take a look at the human faces in the game.  ACK!

-Rasix
WayAbvPar

Reply #59 on: September 19, 2018, 10:38:39 AM

It is definitely not Bards Tale IV. It might end up being fun eventually, but it certainly plays nothing like the earlier games. That was all I wanted...a re-skin with better UI elements and more items/treasure. Not whatever this is.

e- Played another 15 minutes or so and I think I am probably done. It is just so far off the mark from what I wanted. There are dozens or hundreds of mediocre or shitty RPGs to play- why would I bother with this one?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 11:19:27 AM by WayAbvPar »

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: September 19, 2018, 11:20:21 AM

Ok, I get that they're two different games and require different things, but it's hard to believe that this and  "The Vanishing of Ethan Carter" (redux version) were made using the same engine.

Also, check out this:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/566540/Labyrinth_of_Refrain_Coven_of_Dusk/

Yep, "anime bullshit" (and steep price for now) as TB used to say, but it seems pretty good for a M&M/Wizardry blobber/dungeon crawler.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 11:24:40 AM by Lucas »

WayAbvPar

Reply #61 on: September 19, 2018, 12:38:52 PM

I wish I could ignore the anime, but it makes me so incredibly stabby.

Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: September 19, 2018, 01:09:39 PM

Very early impressions so far are its ugly as hell, no grid movement currently irks me and its ugly as hell.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: September 19, 2018, 03:42:42 PM

The only surprise to me here is that any of you are surprised by this.  This is pretty much par for the course for inxile and has been the whole time the company has existed.  Stop buying their games.   swamp poop
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: September 20, 2018, 01:32:17 AM

Wasteland 2 didn't really grab me but I didn't hate it like I think I hate this game.  And a lot of us talking about it paid for this game years ago.

This game for me just reinforces my no kickstarter/early access policy I have for games now.  Also my nostalgia has well and truly been milked dry.

amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: September 20, 2018, 04:45:41 AM

The only surprise to me here is that any of you are surprised by this.  This is pretty much par for the course for inxile and has been the whole time the company has existed.  Stop buying their games.   swamp poop

Wasteland 2 was alright.  I had fun.  This is just bad.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: September 20, 2018, 05:07:04 AM

This game for me just reinforces my no kickstarter/early access policy I have for games now.  Also my nostalgia has well and truly been milked dry.

See, I think that and then the 'Old Games of All Time' thread tells me that I really crave some really good remakes.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: September 20, 2018, 09:24:09 AM

It is definitely not Bards Tale IV. It might end up being fun eventually, but it certainly plays nothing like the earlier games. That was all I wanted...a re-skin with better UI elements and more items/treasure. Not whatever this is.

100% agree with this.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #68 on: September 20, 2018, 10:25:04 AM

I'll go the other way and say I'm enjoying it so far. Its obviously a small studio game, with the expected bugs and performance issues, but nothing that has really stopped me from playing.

The exploration and puzzle solving is fun, and the combat requires a reasonable amount of tactics.

If they clean up a few things, add some inventory management, etc - it'll be pretty good.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: September 20, 2018, 05:28:48 PM

But it doesn't feel like Bard's Tale. I have been enjoying tue Steam reissue of Bard's Tale 1 way more than this cool new rpg oddly named Bard's Tale 4.

Wasteland is sacred to me, and yet Wasteland 2 did not fuck it up. This is simply not right. They are a small studio and yet they did way more than they should have done or was expected from them.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Bard's Tale IV: A tale of a kickstarter  
Jump to: