Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:49:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Bard's Tale IV: A tale of a kickstarter 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Bard's Tale IV: A tale of a kickstarter  (Read 21502 times)
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

on: May 19, 2015, 05:03:28 AM

Another kickstarter by Brian Fargo and Inxile with a 14-day countdown for the kickstarter that begins 2nd of june. They will ask for $1.25M and will add at least $1.25M of their own.
Official site

Its a first person dungeon crawl where you you’ll build a six-strong party of adventurers - creating bards, magic-users and thieves from scratch. But in the time-honoured tradition of dungeon crawling, they’ll share just one pair of legs - exploring maze-like environments as a congealed mass behind the camera.
The game will snap to a grid for combat which some might call turn-based, but which Brian Fargo calls phase-based - a back and forth exchange of blows and buffs that sees the player cycle systematically through each of their party members.

Lots more info here

Early bird $20 tier. Free copy of wasteland 2, witcher 1&2 if you pledge $20 or more within 24 hours.
Link to their kickstarter page
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 06:24:40 AM by Gimfain »

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 05:06:20 AM

Yes, I'm funding this. No questions asked.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 05:20:32 AM

Same here: the original, first Bard's Tale was the first CRPG I played on a 16-bit machine (Atari ST).

I still have the Clue Book for the first episode, complete with notes me and my father took back in 1985  Heart

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 05:25:10 AM

I still have the Clue Book for the first episode, complete with notes me and my father took back in 1985  Heart

Of course!  Heart
I also have the "solution", two pages that I ripped out of a magazine back then. I kept it inside the original box with all the manuals and hint books.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 06:40:19 AM

ZZGO

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 06:49:47 AM

Argh! I'm conflicted on this since Legend of Grimrock does alot of the 1st person dungeon crawl right and for various reasons Wasteland 2 just wasn't a great game for me. I am/was a huge fan of the original Bard's Tales but somehow I get a (foreboding) feel it will turn out like the latest Might&Magic which was mediocre at best despite sounding good on paper.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 06:54:51 AM

Another kickstarter by Brian Fargo and Inxile

Nope.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 07:04:06 AM

What's so wrong about Brian Fargo and Inxile? They asked for money, they delivered a huge game. It might not be the best ever for you (lots of people loved it), but it's not a disaster or a scam in any possible shame.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 07:25:38 AM

Yes, I'm funding this. No questions asked.

Oh come on, at least ask a few questions. This is Kickstarter.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 07:37:36 AM

I'm never doing crowd funding again.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 07:38:21 AM

The thing is, to me Wasteland 2 has proven that these guys are serious, professional, keep their promises and most importantly I like what they do. Sure I am curious about what's the plan and what it'll look like, but given the IP and the people working on it, I am willing to fund it.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 07:48:38 AM

Do I get a fire horn?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 08:08:18 AM

... and more importantly, do I get to MIBL 4 groups of 99 Berserkers into oblivion?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I'll probably back this -- even though I prefer Wizardry to BT, there's no way Wizardry is ever getting a worthwhile follow-up (Cleve Blakemore doesn't count).

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 09:48:46 AM

The thing is, to me Wasteland 2 has proven that these guys are serious, professional, keep their promises and most importantly I like what they do. Sure I am curious about what's the plan and what it'll look like, but given the IP and the people working on it, I am willing to fund it.

We have completely different takeaways concerning Wasteland 2.  Even though I'm somewhat curious about how the second half turns out; I'm likely to never complete the game. The first half was a poorly balanced/designed, buggy, ugly (seriously, wtf) slog of a game. 

I tried really hard to like it, but in the end it was just too much work. I feel like my money was ill spent and perhaps it would have been more worthy of a deep discount Steam sale.

Since I never played Bard's Tale, there's no nostalgia factor for me and I have to with my perceptions of Fargo and his team. They are not positive.  Pass.

-Rasix
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 12:00:07 PM

I don't even understand the "ugly". By 2015 standards, for sure. But my expectations were super low, coming from the original.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 12:17:39 PM

But my expectations were super low

It's one of the reasons I like you, man. It's how you stay positive.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 03:27:23 PM

Haha, I meant that being a sequel of a 1987 game (one of my favourites), graphics were completely irrelevant.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 10:56:33 PM

I liked Wasteland 2 as well, certainly better than 90% of the other Kickstarter games I backed. And better than many retro style RPGs I aquired otherwise.

I'm not a graphics whore regarding RPGs, though.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 06:49:51 AM

Preliminary pricing is up. $25 for early bird, $33 for regular copy (including the ever-so-popular "we'll forgive that you pirated our games when you were a kid" bit). Premium and physical-reward tiers are fucking crazy as usual, but that's fine.

The prices feel a bit high to me... mostly because oldschool cRPGing isn't a seller's market anymore. I would've gladly paid $25 (or even $33) for this game back in 2012, but I have so many great games in my backlog right now that this pricing model makes me want to wait for a steam sale instead!

WayAbvPar

Reply #19 on: May 20, 2015, 07:20:36 AM

Is there a mobile version? I would love to be able to play on my phone.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 20, 2015, 07:48:25 AM

You know what?

Low prices created backlogs (we never had backlogs before Steam), and backlogs are creating a need for lower prices.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 20, 2015, 08:16:02 AM

Preliminary pricing is up. $25 for early bird, $33 for regular copy (including the ever-so-popular "we'll forgive that you pirated our games when you were a kid" bit).

That's pretty funny 'cause it's true. Did anyone know a friend who actually owned a copy of the game? I did however pay for the port they did to the ipad so I'm good.:D

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #22 on: May 20, 2015, 08:17:56 AM

I bought a physical copy for my Apple ][+ at Waldenbooks (upstairs they had a software section).
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 20, 2015, 08:38:01 AM

Bard's Tale was one of the very few games that I actually bought on the C64.  That and the TSR games got my pocket money.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 08:38:46 AM

Preliminary pricing is up. $25 for early bird, $33 for regular copy (including the ever-so-popular "we'll forgive that you pirated our games when you were a kid" bit).

That's pretty funny 'cause it's true. Did anyone know a friend who actually owned a copy of the game? I did however pay for the port they did to the ipad so I'm good.:D
I didn't know anyone who owned a copy of the game at the time... but I eventually atoned for my terrible, terrible sins by buying the Ultimate RPG Archives. BTW, that 'bundle' contained Wizardry Gold instead of Wizardry 7 ... I consider that to be part of my penance.

WayAbvPar

Reply #25 on: May 20, 2015, 08:52:38 AM

I spent $50 on Bard's Tale III in 1987 or something. Games was spendy as hell back in the day.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 20, 2015, 09:16:07 AM

I bought all three.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #27 on: May 20, 2015, 09:34:50 AM

I bought the third episode twice: one Amiga copy (although it was a bit faulty: Guru medidation often appeared in Skara Brae when I entered the building with Harmonic Gems), and another for the PC.

oldpeopletalkingwitheachother.jpg

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 20, 2015, 09:36:25 AM

You know what?

Low prices created backlogs (we never had backlogs before Steam), and backlogs are creating a need for lower prices.

I don't know what you're talking about.  I've had a backlog since the late 90s, as soon as I had disposable income.  I still haven't touched some of those games.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 20, 2015, 11:38:45 AM

Bard's Tale was one of the very few games that I actually bought on the C64.  That and the TSR games got my pocket money.

Alright you're all a bunch of bloody goody two shoes.

Reminds me of when a friend and I went in halves on a mail order copy of Curse of the Azure Bonds. We actually had something akin to a custody agreement for the periphals that came with it (ok you can have the journal for 3 days while I have the code wheel, then we can swap). Serious nostalgia attack incoming.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 20, 2015, 12:11:05 PM

I don't know what you're talking about.  I've had a backlog since the late 90s, as soon as I had disposable income.  I still haven't touched some of those games.

Yeah, I'm in the middle of packing up all my stuff and constantly finding forgotten mementos of my first job, a time when I could apparently walk the tightrope between "too drunk to go to the store" and "too sober to actually buy a copy of Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, an interactive CD-ROM adventure".  Difference was those days they cost like $20-$40 a piece instead of a buck or two.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #31 on: May 21, 2015, 06:44:38 AM

I bought it, which was out of the ordinary for me. A friend of mine has the original box still sitting on his bookshelf.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 21, 2015, 06:50:59 AM

As I said earlier, those boxes are some of my most precious treasures. Sadly, I lost Bard's Tale II (and didn't own I, impossible to find at the time), but Bard's Tale III  for the Commodore 64 has its own shrine in my vintage physical collection. So yes, I paid for all of them.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 21, 2015, 03:11:49 PM

This game will be shit, but hey if you consider it a sequel to an 80s game and have really really low expectations it'll be average to playable. You really should give them money because of this! Its a miracle* they're even willing to tug on your nostalgia and let you kickstarter it, actually getting a playable game is a bonus.

I appreciate your positivity Falc, but Wasteland 2 was not something that makes one want to back these people to produce a fun game.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: May 21, 2015, 03:53:23 PM

I appreciate your positivity Falc, but Wasteland 2 was not something that makes one want to back these people to produce a fun game.

I admit I am biased on this one, but you also should admit that it's not like everyone disliked Wasteland 2 as much as you did. Trying to summon a global appreciation average, an 81 Metacritic score (over 65 reviews) doesn't exactly speak of a product so bad you want to stay away from anything else that company will produce.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Bard's Tale IV: A tale of a kickstarter  
Jump to: