Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:37:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Warships 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Warships  (Read 241598 times)
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #315 on: August 02, 2015, 05:52:30 AM

Did it appear possible to sail through shallows that, while not running aground, would prevent torpedoes from making contact?

I haven't tested it, but yes. If you move your camera close in around your ship while you're near some areas of land you'll see what look like sand bars or something just under the water. There was a big patch of that between me and the open water and that's what the torpedos were hitting. If I hadn't actually stuck myself along the waterline I would have gotten through it.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #316 on: August 02, 2015, 10:03:38 AM

But Bigger ships can get stuck such farther out on the sandbanks than smaller ships as they are further down in the water, so if you want to use this as a torp shield you have to be careful.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 03:38:29 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #317 on: August 11, 2015, 04:11:05 AM

Ok. I did the insane thing and bought the Mikasa, the tier 2 IJN premium Battleship. Its meant to be an iconic IJN Pre-Dreadnought Ironclad Battleship that was the flagship of the Japanese fleet when they defeated the Russian navy, in a 1904 battle, where they were the first eastern power to defeat a Western power in a naval battle

Pros. Its got preferential matchmaking (not sure what tiers that mean). It is a Beutiful ship, looking like the Titanic with guns on. The thing turns on a dime. 450 turning circle is less than almost all cruisers. And while it only has 2 main turrets they are the same caliber as tier 4 battleships, and they rotate fairly fast at. Its fairly tough at 35000 health. Its actually reasonably small which helps it dodge fire And last but not least it has an ENORMOUS amount of secondary guns. Anything that gets in range of its secondary guns (3km) is going to get wrecked. I actually did that in my first (and only) game yesterday where a t2 cruiser got within 3 KMS thinking he would wreck me and got murdered.

Cons. It combines the vaunted gun range of the Kawachi (9.6 gun range) with the blistering speed of the South Carolina (top speed 18.2 knots). Basically anyone with a brain is going to sit outside its range and shoot it where you can't hit back. The T2 IJN cruiser both outranges it and out runs it and the USN cruiser just outruns it. Also its detection is 11kms so you can be seen long before you can shoot. I spent most of the game yesterday dodging shots from most of the enemy team without being able to do squat in return. Also it only has one upgrade point where you can toughen up either its secondary or primary turrets. Yey.

That said if you are patient and use islands and whatnot and try to get in close on people you could have a lot of fun with this thing. However, you WILL wind up in situations where all you can do is fume at the guys lobbing shells at you where you cant respond.

This has been a T2 Premium ship review. Final verdict; well at least its not the Albany :D Actually I like it. It has the potential to be a seal clubber if you drop in a well trained captain into it. But yeah, the speed and the range are the big big drawbacks.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 08:09:34 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #318 on: August 13, 2015, 07:14:19 AM

Playing the Minekaze is very fun.  I had three games in a row where I had three kills each and felt that I really made a difference.  Then I had three games in a row where I was popped into detection unexpectedly by another Minekaze two minutes in and decimated instantly by multiple cruisers.

I like the game, but given the nature of naval combat you don't have that many "oh my god" moments.  I still vividly remember specific games of BF1942 where I got lucky and popped four tanks at the end to win the game, or pulled off that chain backstab in TF2 to turn the tide of a losing game.  Everything in WoW is too SLOW for that- you commit yourself to one end of the map and it take 10 minutes to get to the other end even if you shred the local enemies.  There is very little chance for 1 on 4 heroics, and there is no TIME for it because you waste three or four minutes before combat even begins and by the time endgame tactics would potentially be interesting there are two minutes left.    

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #319 on: August 13, 2015, 09:01:06 AM

Playing the Minekaze is very fun.  I had three games in a row where I had three kills each and felt that I really made a difference.  Then I had three games in a row where I was popped into detection unexpectedly by another Minekaze two minutes in and decimated instantly by multiple cruisers.

Yeah, this has been my IJN destroyer experience as well. Either felt like a star player with a good number of kills and a lot of damage dealt or dogpiled and dead within a minute of being detected at the two minute mark.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #320 on: August 13, 2015, 01:55:17 PM

Ok. I did the insane thing and bought the Mikasa, the tier 2 IJN premium Battleship.

I keep looking for this premium ship you speak of and can't find it
https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/vehicles/

Did they remove it?

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: August 13, 2015, 02:15:22 PM

I think they removed it, yeah. Not sure if it was for a special event or something, but Wargaming even did a special video in co-operation withthe japaneze goverment on the ship.

Heres the page withthe info and the video of it. Seems it was available for a week and I guess it may be back.

http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/premshop/premium-shop-mikasa/

Hic sunt dracones.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #322 on: August 13, 2015, 03:05:36 PM

The frequency with which they add stuff to the shop and then yank it for this game is becoming annoying.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: August 13, 2015, 03:10:05 PM

Ok. I did the insane thing and bought the Mikasa, the tier 2 IJN premium Battleship.

I keep looking for this premium ship you speak of and can't find it
https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/vehicles/

Did they remove it?

Might be an EU only thing.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #324 on: August 13, 2015, 05:30:20 PM

It is, it will likely come to the NA shop during pax.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 07:38:56 AM by Tmon »
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: August 14, 2015, 01:22:59 AM

Just got into a New Mexico - time to grind out the modules.

Currently I'm sitting at a US fleet of T4 Carrier, T5 Cruiser and Destroyer and T6 Battleship. I seem to do all my leveling via premium ships - Atago and Atlanta + Murmansk. I have a real soft spot for the latter - its range seems to catch Atlanta's out as they try to close.

I'm sick of the matchmaking though - PUG crap is to be expected but when Double carrier at T9 Takes on a T7 carrier and the MM numbers are made up with high level DD that get slaughtered early on... something is wrong.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #326 on: August 14, 2015, 07:42:27 AM

They are testing a ranked battle mode on public test.  It may rollout as part of 4.1.  Might make pub bing a little better experience if  it keeps the "I'm just playing for fun jackals in the tier 1st the group"
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: August 14, 2015, 09:52:04 AM

I'm sick of the matchmaking though - PUG crap is to be expected but when Double carrier at T9 Takes on a T7 carrier and the MM numbers are made up with high level DD that get slaughtered early on... something is wrong.

Just because they are DDs does not make them less powerful. I have only played a few games as a DD but I was able to survive a good portion of the match. Yeah if they are one of these DDs that like charging off into the middle of the enemy fleet and die in glory then sure, you are gonna die. But A skilled DD player could rip half a team apart. DDs should ideally not charge off like people are want to do at the start of the match.

Starting to learn how to use torps myself. I have noticed St Louis drivers seem to never avoid torps at all, they are so focused on driving around the edges in a line spamming concentrated gunfire. I torpedoed one guy twice at 7kms with a narrow spread the other day.

Hic sunt dracones.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: August 14, 2015, 02:09:14 PM

At T6+ though, DDs tend to get shredded. I've seen one or two that make it through a game but they don't compensate for double carrier, especially if the carriers and cruisers go for them first.

The problem isn't the DD, its the force projection from carriers where there is a carrier imbalance unless people create an AA screen. Which you rarely get in a PUG.

The most fun I had was in an Atago, they had 2 T8 carriers, we had 4 Atagos and everyone grouped up and waited, wiped out the waves of bombers and then proceeded to smash their fleet that was trying to split and flank us. 

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: August 14, 2015, 02:19:45 PM

Yeah I can see that. There is a problem with Carriers in that if one side has one carrier and the other has 2 then the one carrier is in general floating XP and not much else. The tier Difference does not help either as a low tier carriers planes are going to get murdered regardless.

And, of course ships grouping together for mutual protection? HERETIC!!

I'm thinking of getting the Atago. How is it?

Hic sunt dracones.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: August 15, 2015, 01:52:16 AM

Tier matters for carriers. We had 2 T7s vs their one T10. They were 2 players down. The T10 ate our entire fleet. Both fleets were T7-T9 plus their T10. I'd read that they were OP but never gone up against one.

In other news..

Cleveland city.

Ended up a draw - ugly fight though.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: August 15, 2015, 03:33:22 AM

Tier matters for carriers. We had 2 T7s vs their one T10. They were 2 players down. The T10 ate our entire fleet. Both fleets were T7-T9 plus their T10. I'd read that they were OP but never gone up against one.

In other news..

Cleveland city.

Ended up a draw - ugly fight though.

It sure was a steamy night in Cleveland.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #332 on: August 15, 2015, 05:50:46 AM

Yeah I can see that. There is a problem with Carriers in that if one side has one carrier and the other has 2 then the one carrier is in general floating XP and not much else.

It depends on the nationality of the carriers too. A single USN carrier with fighter spec can usually keep two IJN carriers in check pretty well. The problem is that if the USN carrier gets put in a match with no enemy carriers they spend the game being a spotter.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #333 on: August 15, 2015, 01:23:04 PM

Yeah I can see that. There is a problem with Carriers in that if one side has one carrier and the other has 2 then the one carrier is in general floating XP and not much else. The tier Difference does not help either as a low tier carriers planes are going to get murdered regardless.

And, of course ships grouping together for mutual protection? HERETIC!!

That's going to be changed in 4.1.

Carrier matchmaking will always be mirrored ie. same number of same tier carrier on each side. (Not sure what that is going to carrier queue times....).
Secondly tier spread in fighter DPS will be narrowed.
Thirdly, IJN strike setups will be nerfed by a) longer plane preparation time b) always at least one fighter in the load-out, thus less anti-ship damage output.

I'm thinking of getting the Atago. How is it?

It's ok/decent I'd say. Rather susceptible to citadel hits, so playing her has some learning curve. The forward firing torpedo arc is nice. Compared to the Mogami I miss the pew pew 150 mm guns with their nice ROF. On the other hand a friend who is quite good (better than me) at cruisers says Mogami is crap and 203 mm is where it is. So...uh...

Overall there is nothing wrong with it, except the price. For the ~ 40 € it costs one an get an actual space ship with laser cannons and warp drive in a different game...  why so serious?

« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 01:30:01 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: August 15, 2015, 01:34:47 PM

Thanks for that. I obviously need something to spend my moneys on...

I played some Destroyers last night. I.. had a lot of fun. Help me help me I feel the corruption starting...

Hic sunt dracones.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #335 on: August 15, 2015, 05:00:00 PM

I finally got 2 ships to tier 7, the Pensacola and the Hatsuharu.  Both are a little underwhelming right now, esp. the Pensacola.  Maybe fully upgraded they'll get better.  Almost gotten through the horrible FurryTaco grind to the Aoba but damn that thing is shit.  Worst ship I've played so far...except for the Albany. swamp poop
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #336 on: August 15, 2015, 07:15:06 PM

I really need to have a look at the IJN line, at the moment I'm US specific except for the premium IJN/Russian ships (I still love the Murmansk - it's reasonably versatile and the range is sweet for a T5). Just completely upgraded my New Mexico - compared to other ships the final hull is a godsend in terms of AA and with more manouverability, range and a spotter I really like it. I'm starting to stockpile ships now which worries me - I just know I'm going to start spending gold on docks :(

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #337 on: August 16, 2015, 12:37:25 PM

Video from the youtuber The mighty Jingles on the test server

TLDR

Carriers will be hard matched to one another now. So no more tier 7 vs tier 9, if you have a tier 8 CV the enemy will have a tier 8 CV.

Battleships get an accuracy boost under 3kms with their main guns.

Lots of chatter about how frigging broken the St Louis is.

Lots of chatter about how hard Battleships have it.

But he said that he was getting more consistent damage with his big guns and less RNG citadel pens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g25qqbOAgBA

Hic sunt dracones.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: August 17, 2015, 06:06:32 AM

I just can't get over how awful Furutaka is compared to Omaha. I'm actually not sure if there is anything good to say about Furutaka since unlike most Japanese cruisers it's inferior even in torpedoes (with 2 salvos compared to Omaha's 4). That said Omaha is turning out to be my favorite cruiser so far combining insane rate of fire with decent torps making it capable of taking out pretty much any opposing ships (especially with scout plane and sonar to counter destroyer sneak attacks)
disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #339 on: August 17, 2015, 06:59:09 AM

I just can't get over how awful Furutaka is compared to Omaha. I'm actually not sure if there is anything good to say about Furutaka since unlike most Japanese cruisers it's inferior even in torpedoes (with 2 salvos compared to Omaha's 4). That said Omaha is turning out to be my favorite cruiser so far combining insane rate of fire with decent torps making it capable of taking out pretty much any opposing ships (especially with scout plane and sonar to counter destroyer sneak attacks)

Using only AP (citadels after citadels on other cruisers) and playing like BS makes Furu managable. After 10k exp on this thing I stoped hating it.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #340 on: August 17, 2015, 08:57:59 AM

And the Aoba, while no Cleveland, is still very decent. Had a 6 kill game on it (end in a draw OF COURSE) the other day.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: August 17, 2015, 10:34:33 AM

The problem is that US cruisers are just in general significantly better than the IJN cruisers after tier 2. That does not mean the IJN cruisers are bad ships, its just they pale in comparison to the US lines.

Hic sunt dracones.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #342 on: August 17, 2015, 11:50:02 AM

I don't think its quite as simple as that. The Omaha and Cleveland forgives bad aim by sheer volume of shell spam, while the IJN cruisers have fewer guns, so you need the shots to land. If you are a good shot, there's a good chance you will outdamage a Cleveland with an Aoba with a player of comparable skill. However, most folks aren't good yet, so the Cleveland looks comparably more awesome.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #343 on: August 17, 2015, 05:10:42 PM

Good point.

In other news on the EU server the Atago is on "special" meaning you get it a portslot 2000 gold, 7 days prem  AND
x24 Damage Control Party II - bonus;
x12 Hydroacoustic Search II - bonus;
x12 Defensive AA Fire II - bonus;
x24 Catapult Fighter II - bonus.

For a whole 3 euros and 16 cent less than the total!!!!!!

I feel special.

Hic sunt dracones.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #344 on: August 17, 2015, 10:32:36 PM

I don't think its quite as simple as that. The Omaha and Cleveland forgives bad aim by sheer volume of shell spam, while the IJN cruisers have fewer guns, so you need the shots to land. If you are a good shot, there's a good chance you will outdamage a Cleveland with an Aoba with a player of comparable skill. However, most folks aren't good yet, so the Cleveland looks comparably more awesome.

Upgraded Furutakas ROF is 3.5/min@4.7k AP or 3.3k HE (16% chance of fire) with 6 turrets (45s turn) and 2x3 6km torps

Upgraded Omaha ROF 8.6/min@3.1k AP or 2.2k HE (12% chance of fire) with 10 turrets (24s turn) and 4x3 5.5km torps
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #345 on: August 18, 2015, 02:07:39 AM

Now now there are other important stats like sped and armour.

So the Cleveland has.. er... more armour, a tighter turning circle and the same speed.

Well, that was productive.

Hic sunt dracones.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #346 on: August 18, 2015, 07:40:43 AM

Handy dev tracker site http://shipcomrade.com/redtracker.html it tracks EU, RU and NA dev forum posts.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #347 on: August 18, 2015, 07:47:48 AM

Using only AP (citadels after citadels on other cruisers) and playing like BS makes Furu managable. After 10k exp on this thing I stoped hating it.

Exactly, you need to keep other ships at range and aim your shots carefully.  It has better dispersion than the Omaha, and the shells hit harder.  Also learn when to run, you're not going to stand alone against multiple ships.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #348 on: August 18, 2015, 10:56:35 AM

I find this game fascinating but I don't care about navy stuff. I hope some one makes one space ships or air ships.

"Me am play gods"
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #349 on: August 18, 2015, 01:47:36 PM

I'm in destroyer hell. Just moved to the Farragut and it just feels... clumsy and clunky compared to its predecessor. I'm not convinced its upgrades will save it.

On the other hand I'm loving my upgraded New Mexico and am most interested in continuing up the battleship line.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Warships  
Jump to: