Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:08:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Warships 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Warships  (Read 241574 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #280 on: July 19, 2015, 01:59:00 PM

The grind just killed it for me. I'll tinker around with bots when I feel like it, but when I get on teams that have tier 6-7 on my tier 4 that literally 1-shot my Phoenix from across the map when I barely have even registered their marker on the map? No thanks. I pull maybe 280xp each time that happens. I can manage 400xp on a Co-op map. Sure, if I have a good PuG on a random battle I can net +1k, but no way in hell I am slogging through 100 matches for a new ship. Took me a week of co-op play to get the tier 5 carrier with a few failure random battles because I get matched against tier 6 ships that make me dead. But I do like the game though... just not enough to overcome the silly leveling.

BBs are basically shotguns. No matter how good your aim, you'll spray around your target the majority of the time. I have watched vids of player way better than I and still see them miss a ton. That is even if you get to the fight in time.
DDs are great when they are played by the opposition. I can't hit them in a BB and barely in a CA/CL but they can sink me with torps every single time. I try the DD at range, wasted torps. get in close, busted rudder/engine on the first shot. Weave all over the place, still get sunk - torps never hit the target no matter where I place them.
CA/CL St Louis was awesome... then you get stuck with the Phoenix. I have been magazined 5 times over the course of the weekend. Literally, zooming in to take aim, full health, and then perished before my gun sights even zero'd in on a target. And half the time I am with the group until shooting starts then I look around and my team is gone and I am getting alpha'd. Pass...

I fully understand the pay model is at work here and I am going straight free-be route, but it just isn't worth the effort and I am not throwing money at a game in beta anymore.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: July 20, 2015, 03:32:24 PM

The Phoenix is a nice cruiser for its tier, thinly armored like its Japanese counterpart but the guns are accurate, traverse fairly quickly and have a fairly brisk rate of fire.  The key is to not present your broadside to other ships, the experienced players will use AP and take advantage of your large thinly armored citadel, the HE spammers will be presented with an easy target to lay down multiple hits any one of which can cripple you or light you on fire.  Angle your ship at or away from the biggest threat and change heading and speed constantly and you won't be quite so easy to kill.  You don't need dramatic changes of either to throw off someone's aim and the hardest shots to figure lead on are when a ship is angling away or towards you.
disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: July 20, 2015, 11:51:17 PM

I was at 54-55% WR before hitting tier4/5. Now suddenly all teams I am in get smashed before I even enter the battle (3-4 dead, or even platoons with tier4 and 2x2). WR dropped to 45. Its not WoT, you can't turn the battle to Your favor alone. Its started to pissing me off.
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: July 21, 2015, 03:15:34 AM

The Phoenix is a nice cruiser for its tier, thinly armored like its Japanese counterpart but the guns are accurate, traverse fairly quickly and have a fairly brisk rate of fire.  The key is to not present your broadside to other ships, the experienced players will use AP and take advantage of your large thinly armored citadel, the HE spammers will be presented with an easy target to lay down multiple hits any one of which can cripple you or light you on fire.  Angle your ship at or away from the biggest threat and change heading and speed constantly and you won't be quite so easy to kill.  You don't need dramatic changes of either to throw off someone's aim and the hardest shots to figure lead on are when a ship is angling away or towards you.

Which is great and all, until you need to turn around and flee. Then your broadside gets exposed which is how I usually get one shot back to port. In fact, that is how it occurs on all my ships - I do fine with the low profile and a zig-zag until I have to get out of there...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: July 21, 2015, 04:48:29 AM

I solved the problem by buying a Murmansk to see me through that tier. I also slid sideways to DDs

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: July 21, 2015, 09:26:28 AM

I moved to carriers. Lot less stressful. Once my planes are dead, I just sail around trying to ram people - if I live that long.  awesome, for real

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: July 21, 2015, 10:10:05 AM

I was kind of afraid that the game would be way too grindy after going to open beta. The progression felt slow to me even in closed beta so pushing it felt way Off

To be honest I'm gonna buy the murmansk and the Warspite which means I have ships to play up to tier 6. i'mj too old and pissed off for silly grinds anymore. Actually I have the sims for tier 7 so thats good enough for me.

Hic sunt dracones.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: July 21, 2015, 01:44:18 PM

I was kind of afraid that the game would be way too grindy after going to open beta. The progression felt slow to me even in closed beta so pushing it felt way Off

To be honest I'm gonna buy the murmansk and the Warspite which means I have ships to play up to tier 6. i'mj too old and pissed off for silly grinds anymore. Actually I have the sims for tier 7 so thats good enough for me.

I don't think the warspite is available anymore. I only came in at open beta and it's not on the store page. Annoying as I would have liked it.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: July 21, 2015, 02:38:09 PM

Yep, I just found that out. It WAS apparently available very briefly on July 7th and wont be avalible again "for a long time". Very very annoying.

Accidentally bought the Atlanta today when I meant to buy the Murmansk. But it's fun as hell. so I've got a fun ship for when I want to roll into a t7 match. They have a T8 IJN cruiser available but I think I'll pass on that one, I've spent enough money on this game for a while.

In the Co-Op gamer i played with the atlanta there was nothing else but the IJN tier 8 prem. Gues the top tiers are not populated yet :D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 02:41:58 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: July 22, 2015, 01:18:18 PM

Make sure you guys hop into the F13 channel (on the NA server) so we can division together. The more the merrier!

- Viin
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: July 23, 2015, 01:00:45 AM

I'm on US but Aussie Time Zone - I swear you guys are all asleep then.

I get a better ping to US than Asia for some reason

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: July 23, 2015, 10:26:31 PM

I tend to play in the early morning my time, which I think works out to 9 or 10pm your time depending on how soon I get back from my walk.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #292 on: July 24, 2015, 11:01:17 AM

So I noticed IainC is with Wargaming now. Can we bitch at him about the Furutaka and expect changes by the time I get back home from work today?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #293 on: July 24, 2015, 11:17:30 AM

You can but he's in a different group so I wouldn't expect any changes.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: July 26, 2015, 09:22:33 PM

Looks like the first big patch, including new ships, is being released later today.

http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/update-0404-patch-notes/

Version 0.4.0.4 Notes
Ships:

For testing purposes German ships Tirpitz, Bismarck, Dresden, Hermelin have been added. You may spot them in battles occasionally, but they are not currently available for research or purchase.

Bismarck – tier VIII battleship – Bismarck class battleships were some of the strongest ships of their type at the beginning of WWII, and were the pride of the Kriegsmarine. They incorporated the signature strengths of German naval shipbuilding: advanced fire control systems, rugged hull and substantial armor. Bismarck's famous march to the Atlantic in May, 1941 proved that a one-on-one meeting with her could be lethal.
    Tirpitz – tier VIII battleship – A legendary German battleship, Tirpitz haunted Allied forces' from her comissioning in 1941 until her destruction in 1944. During that time, there were repeated efforts to sink her with aircraft and submarines. Her high speed and powerful artillery were complimented by incredible survivability, courtesy of her armor and compartmented layout.
    Hermelin – tier I cruiser – A large armored gunboat able to operate in the high seas that was intended for the colonial service. She would've been well armed and relatively fast for her class.
    Dresden – tier II cruiser – A typical early 20th Century German cruiser, she could serve as a scout, as a raider or as protection for the fleet from enemy destroyers. Her guns were relatively weak, but she was very well protected and quick in her time.

Updated and corrected texture for the ship Marblehead.

Fixed a defect in the lifting of the main caliber barrel on the ship Diana.

Renamed ships: Cincinnati, Pallada, and Sakura. Now: Marblehead Lima, Diana Lima, and Tachibana Lima.
Maps:

On the "Two Brothers" map, removed invisible barrier in the square E5.

Interfaces:

Fixed improper distribution of consumables in the game.

Added consumable "Hydroacoustic Search" on the following ships, starting with the stock configuration:

Kuma
    Furutaka
    Phoenix
    Omaha
    Murmansk
    Marblehead
    Marblehead Lima

Fixed lettering squares on the mini-map in the boot screen. Doesn't coincide with the tablet and minimap in battle.

Fixed the display of the British nation tab during the transition to the tech tree when the Warspite is selected.

Other:

Fixed an error which in some cases led the game client to crash when entering the queue for the battle.

Fixed an error when on the countdown screen before battle, ship models were cut off at the approach of the camera.

Fixed an error which led to an inability to recruit a commander for the ship when one a ship is in battle.

Fixed a graphic artifact that led to the camera going underwater when in binocular mode on the Tachibana and Tachibana Lima.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #295 on: July 26, 2015, 09:50:29 PM

You can but he's in a different group so I wouldn't expect any changes.

Please tell me he's in a group that's going to completely redo World of Warplanes into something that's fun.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #296 on: July 28, 2015, 03:39:34 PM

Nah, pretty sure he's working on World of Bicycles https://youtu.be/zhQSPWQxXBU?t=18s

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #297 on: July 28, 2015, 03:50:54 PM

He said it's something new/unannounced and it's not the MoO revival.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: July 29, 2015, 01:05:03 AM

So I noticed IainC is with Wargaming now. Can we bitch at him about the Furutaka and expect changes by the time I get back home from work today?

I really don't get all the hate for the Furu. I went through it without a single free XP point spent (OK, maybe a little was spent for the upgrades - still got through the 33k XP grind all on my own ). Yes, it plays entirely different from the CLs before it but it perfectly prepares you for your role going forward in that you are supposed to stand by your BBs/CVs and provide auxilliary fire and AA support. I do think it could do with some better turret turn time but other than that it's fine! I still sold it immediately and found the Aoba a clear step up.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #299 on: July 29, 2015, 10:37:54 AM

The issue is that the Omaha is so insanely superlative compared to the Furukaka. I get that the US dds are horked with the short range torps so in another tree WG gives advantage to the US. Its not a mystery. That said, they do need to tweak it a bit, just a bit, to make those turn times a bit more agile. While you can train your guns on a turn while chasing a DD with an Omaha, god help you if you have to turn in a Furutaka; you will get pwnt before your guns are pointed the right way.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: July 29, 2015, 04:49:35 PM

It also doesn't help that they all turn at different rates either.

It's not much of an issue though unless you have to dodge incoming fire, but if you do it will be a while before you get all your guns lined up again. I take my time and aim as accurately as I can since it's got a BB length reload and spread. I just sort of treat it like a BB with DD grade armor and cruiser maneuverability. I don't really have many problems with it though, I normally get a couple kills with it and manage to survive the match. But yeah, it's biggest problem is that it's not a 360noscope/noaim flamethrowing firehose like the Omaha.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: July 30, 2015, 12:29:50 AM

I played a tier IV BB last night and had a ball - never thought I'd say that as I love the speed and agility of DDs.

DD was lining up a torpedo launch just after my guns finished their 30s reload and luck/RNG/got the range right allowed me to drop an entire salvo before he launched - 100% HP to zero in a blink of an eye. I also got a carrier kill and 2 cruisers that game. I now want to tech out 3 trees (cruisers are my go-to).

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: July 30, 2015, 09:17:56 AM

I've actually had something of a good time with my Tier 4 Prem BB. The key is to have the upgrade that upgrades your secondary weapons so they get a bit more range and accuracy. I hate to say it considering I love cruisers but BBs might actually be my thing. Sadly you need to be properly supported and guaranteeing that impossible in a random. At least in a cruiser you can chose to screen your cap ships.

Hic sunt dracones.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: July 30, 2015, 09:56:00 AM

I've actually had something of a good time with my Tier 4 Prem BB. The key is to have the upgrade that upgrades your secondary weapons so they get a bit more range and accuracy.

People really underestimate how much a battleship's secondaries can fuck them up. At higher tiers with the skills and upgrades you can get some of them to fire out to over 9km.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #304 on: July 30, 2015, 11:14:24 AM

I've come to the untimely conclusion that this game is a lot of slow deliberate cerebral work and after 10 battles I'm mentally exhausted. This isn't exactly a put-down, but after making a mess of strategic calculations on how to best approach the threats in the distance, estimating the relative chances of support in a flanking attack, cajoling friendly cruisers to protect key points, etc, you find that the end of the match is contingent on NinjaWarlordz1 who is currently ramming into islands with his guns facing the wrong way.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #305 on: July 30, 2015, 08:12:18 PM

So... just like World of Tanks.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #306 on: July 31, 2015, 10:37:09 AM

Yes, but it just seems that in this game the effort you put into it is greater. It takes a full five minutes sometimes to get into the action. Your valiant efforts to do something effective in battle also take time, and then you look at the map and a good third of your team are wandering about the map like dementia patients in wheelchairs. At least in tanks the stupid over faster.

Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: July 31, 2015, 12:24:00 PM

https://eu.wargaming.net/shop/bonus/

Put in "ALBANY" and get your Tier 2 Albany.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: July 31, 2015, 12:37:54 PM

Yeah, I've learned that I need to budget at least 12 minutes for a match.  So when I see that I have 10 minutes left in a play session I just log out rather than trying to get just one more match in.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #309 on: July 31, 2015, 02:04:41 PM

https://eu.wargaming.net/shop/bonus/

Put in "ALBANY" and get your Tier 2 Albany.

Thanks. btw, if you are in the US you have to go to the US shop, but it works just the same. Just took it out. Its a close range (6 km) St. Louis type. Not bad for a tier 2 freebie.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: July 31, 2015, 04:02:44 PM

Thanks guys, just grabbed it.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: August 01, 2015, 09:19:10 PM

So, I just got accused of hacking to give myself a force field, though I suppose I did accidentally exploit a weakness of the island terrain. To avoid some torpedos I wound up beaching my destroyer up on the actual beach, parallel to the shoreline. THe three destroyers on the other team went crazy launching torpedoes at me, which hit ground in shallow water and detonated before they got to me. I on the other hand had no problem launching torpedos back at them. Of course rather than just shoot me with fucking guns they just bitched about my "hacks" in chat for the rest of the match. Eventually though a cruiser came by and shot me to death.

So, if something similar happens with something you're launching torpedoes at, just shoot them with guns FFS. It was pretty funny to me though.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #312 on: August 01, 2015, 10:17:21 PM

Can you get off the beach or is it a one-way ticket?
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: August 01, 2015, 10:24:19 PM

Can you get off the beach or is it a one-way ticket?

No, I was stuck on it. WHen I hit I was still going forward slowly so I thought I would come off whatever it was, but apparently what it was doing was just shoving me farther up. So when I did finally try to reverse I just sat there.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #314 on: August 01, 2015, 10:37:05 PM

Did it appear possible to sail through shallows that, while not running aground, would prevent torpedoes from making contact?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Warships  
Jump to: