Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:42:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Warships 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Warships  (Read 241638 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #245 on: July 07, 2015, 11:33:07 AM

I've managed to unlock the tier 4 destroyer and battleship (US) and am working my way up to unlock my first carrier. I think I've gotten a better handle on destroyers. I still don't expect to survive a battle but I'm happy if I can get some hits, especially torp hits. Seeing the insane XP requirements to go tier 5, I have no idea how anyone could get as high as 9 without nonstop playing.

Question about one of the commander skills - the one that gives you +20% torpedo acquisition range. Is that for shooting torpedos or is it for being warned you are about to take 6 torps up the ass?

WayAbvPar

Reply #246 on: July 07, 2015, 11:52:07 AM

It is for seeing incoming torpedoes, I believe.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #247 on: July 07, 2015, 11:52:14 AM

I've managed to unlock the tier 4 destroyer and battleship (US) and am working my way up to unlock my first carrier. I think I've gotten a better handle on destroyers. I still don't expect to survive a battle but I'm happy if I can get some hits, especially torp hits. Seeing the insane XP requirements to go tier 5, I have no idea how anyone could get as high as 9 without nonstop playing.

Question about one of the commander skills - the one that gives you +20% torpedo acquisition range. Is that for shooting torpedos or is it for being warned you are about to take 6 torps up the ass?

It's the warning.  Link below explains all captain skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKV4k0Ahgls

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #248 on: July 07, 2015, 12:09:11 PM

Jesus Christ, that dude has like $300 worth of doubloons.  swamp poop

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: July 07, 2015, 02:14:09 PM

Jesus Christ, that dude has like $300 worth of doubloons.  swamp poop

I was under the impression that Wargaming likes to hand out lots of rmt currency to their most loyal and popular streamers/video makers.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #250 on: July 07, 2015, 02:37:01 PM

Or he could dump coin from his Youtube moneys.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: July 07, 2015, 03:29:38 PM

Or he could dump coin from his Youtube moneys.
Technically he could write that off as a business expense. I think.

Paging Paelos.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #252 on: July 08, 2015, 01:04:29 AM

I can't kill anything in a battleship for some reason, and destroyers are way too fragile.     

Battleship spread is really disheartening. More often than not I'll have 12 barrels lined up for plunging fire to pound another battleship dead midline and when the shots land 2 of them hit while the other 10 plunk into the ocean in a circular pattern around the other ship. Or I fire a test shot with one turret and the two projectiles fly off at a 45 degree angle to each other, like some sort of eye lasers coming from of a walleye carp. And even when they do hit they don't seem to do a lot more than cruiser damage unless you get a citadel hit.

Cruisers on the other hand seem to be super accurate and will start at least one fire with every salvo. Two hits for 1000 or 4 hits for 670 + fires, cruisers are the way to go.
I'm having the opposit problem.  I can fairly consistently broadside other BB's, scoring 8-10 hits each time.  It just does no fucking damage to them at all.  Meanwhile, every other broadside shot at me hits me in full, and takes out 1/3 to 1/2 my life per hit.  AP or HE, makes no difference.  Very aggravating.  Also, DD's need a nerf.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #253 on: July 08, 2015, 01:18:55 AM

DDs are ok except for lowest tiers where there are no aircraft or only a few. There's very little a DD can do if there's an aircraft spotting it since their AA is usually too weak to be a threat and you can't outrun the aircraft. Smoke helps but it limits you to a certain radius  and there's only a limited number of uses and a cooldown (and DD can't take more than a few hits before sinking once they are detected).
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: July 08, 2015, 03:07:09 AM

DDs are ok except for lowest tiers where there are no aircraft or only a few. There's very little a DD can do if there's an aircraft spotting it since their AA is usually too weak to be a threat and you can't outrun the aircraft. Smoke helps but it limits you to a certain radius  and there's only a limited number of uses and a cooldown (and DD can't take more than a few hits before sinking once they are detected).

Lower tier JP DDs are rough... By the time I get in torp range, I am getting fired upon. 2 volleys and I am dead - even with smoke. And the torps never hit a target. Slogging along I suppose.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: July 08, 2015, 03:39:25 AM

I'm having the opposit problem.  I can fairly consistently broadside other BB's, scoring 8-10 hits each time.  It just does no fucking damage to them at all.  Meanwhile, every other broadside shot at me hits me in full, and takes out 1/3 to 1/2 my life per hit.  AP or HE, makes no difference.  Very aggravating.

Its not just hitting the target its where you hit it too. When I'm aiming at ships I try and aim more for the superstructure but aiming lightly up from the waterline. Hitting on the waterline can do damage if you pen the armour but it tends to be the most heavily armoured part of the ship.

Hic sunt dracones.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #256 on: July 08, 2015, 10:29:32 AM

I can't kill anything in a battleship for some reason, and destroyers are way too fragile.      

Battleship spread is really disheartening. More often than not I'll have 12 barrels lined up for plunging fire to pound another battleship dead midline and when the shots land 2 of them hit while the other 10 plunk into the ocean in a circular pattern around the other ship. Or I fire a test shot with one turret and the two projectiles fly off at a 45 degree angle to each other, like some sort of eye lasers coming from of a walleye carp. And even when they do hit they don't seem to do a lot more than cruiser damage unless you get a citadel hit.

Cruisers on the other hand seem to be super accurate and will start at least one fire with every salvo. Two hits for 1000 or 4 hits for 670 + fires, cruisers are the way to go.
I'm having the opposit problem.  I can fairly consistently broadside other BB's, scoring 8-10 hits each time.  It just does no fucking damage to them at all.  Meanwhile, every other broadside shot at me hits me in full, and takes out 1/3 to 1/2 my life per hit.  AP or HE, makes no difference.  Very aggravating.  Also, DD's need a nerf.

If you are in a BB fighting BBs you want aim at (just above) the waterline. For damage the RNG is all in the trajectory part, the damage values are fixed. If you hit but do no damage and all there is a sort of "clank" sound the shell bounced or failed to penetrate. If you hit but have oddly low damage (around 1000 per shell hit, and always exactly the same number) it's an over penetration.

• Citadel penetration: Maximum nominal AP shell damage. For a Wyoming that would 8300 per shell, for example. Where the citadel area is differs from ship to ship, but it's mostly the area below the turrets (ammunition magazines) and below the smokestacks (engine, boiler rooms). The yellow "citadel hit" badge pops up in game, telling that you scored one.
  • Penetration: 33% of nominal AP damage.
  • Over-penetration: 10% of nominal damage. Hits to superstruture / bow, any section that is too lightly armoured to trigger the AP fuse.
  • Bounce or failure to penetrate: No damage at all. You hear a sort of "clank" sound, which tells you the shell hit but didn't go through.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 10:32:35 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: July 09, 2015, 06:55:05 AM

I'm having far too much fun playing destroyers right now so a nerf must be coming soon. I finally had a 6 kill game in open beta.  why so serious?
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: July 10, 2015, 02:04:50 PM

Looks like the Rising Sun flag used for Japan in game is being removed because some consider it offensive, esp. in parts of Asia where Japan was an occupying power before and during WW2.  I mean I know some countries in Europe, most notably Germany, have banned even historical references to the Nazi flag in video games for years but I can't say I support doing so.  It's being used in a historical context rather than in a malicious manner.  The same thing happened recently to Ultimate General: Gettysburg and other US Civil War era games in Apple's app store.  They were removed and told they couldn't return with the Confederate flag in game.

http://wccftech.com/world-warships-removing-rising-sun-flag/
http://techcrunch.com/2015/06/25/apple-bans-games-and-apps-featuring-the-confederate-flag/#.gdnrmj:wRNr
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #259 on: July 10, 2015, 04:14:25 PM

Well, we're a bit removed from it, I guess, but I don't think its quite like removing the stars and bars from video games, since, after all, the civil war was a bit ago, but Japanese imperialism wasn't all -that- long ago. There are probably still survivors of the Japanese rape camps in Korea.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #260 on: July 10, 2015, 06:59:48 PM

There are probably still survivors of the Japanese rape camps in Korea.

It's pretty doubtful, they'd be at least 85ish. Early 80s if they didn't mind raping prepubescent girls. What am I thinking, it's Japan. The country that finally managed to outlaw businessmen paying 6th graders for sex about 10 years ago. So okay, there might be a couple in their early 80s.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: July 10, 2015, 07:04:00 PM

There are probably still survivors of the Japanese rape camps in Korea.

It's pretty doubtful, they'd be at least 85ish. Early 80s if they didn't mind raping prepubescent girls. What am I thinking, it's Japan. The country that finally managed to outlaw businessmen paying 6th graders for sex about 10 years ago. So okay, there might be a couple in their early 80s.

The Japanese military still uses the Rising Sun flag and its pretty prominent in other areas of Japanese culture.  The stigma of that flag isn't the same in Japan as the Nazi flag has in Germany.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rising_Sun_Flag
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: July 17, 2015, 08:32:03 AM

So I finally opened up US carriers. I like the change of pace in game play and seem to do better. I still get sunk if a sneaky fucker gets past the line and I am still fine tuning my manual torpedo bombing play, but I am enjoying it enough. Beats watching my perfectly aimed 5km ranged battleship shoot everything but the vessel I am zero'd in on or my destroyer getting alpha striked prior to getting a smoke and/or torpedoes off.

Regardless... holy shit is this game a fucking slog. XP just trickles, even winning random battles. Looking at the higher tiers... +100k xp needed for some of these ships and I am netting 800-1200 a session? Fuck right off... I'll go back to punching bots in the face. I haven't felt the grind this bad since FFXI.

WayAbvPar

Reply #263 on: July 17, 2015, 11:49:29 AM

Was in a match today with 2 tier Xs (one a carrier). That is someone with a TON of free time and/or money to convert free XP. It just boggles my mind.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: July 17, 2015, 01:06:10 PM

Yeah, the grind is pretty grindy and starts pretty early on. I think they've tuned on people getting 3000xp wins and 1300xp losses. That's not that hard to get even if your team is full of dolts, but it would be nice to not have to decide between full-on promode every single game or having to settle for 300-500 xp on a loss.

I honestly don't know how anyone could have tier X's already short of grinding with a tier VII premium and then converting the XP.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #265 on: July 17, 2015, 01:23:00 PM

Yeah, the grind is pretty grindy and starts pretty early on. I think they've tuned on people getting 3000xp wins and 1300xp losses. That's not that hard to get even if your team is full of dolts, but it would be nice to not have to decide between full-on promode every single game or having to settle for 300-500 xp on a loss.

I honestly don't know how anyone could have tier X's already short of grinding with a tier VII premium and then converting the XP.

Carrier (high XP) and Premium flags (40 as CBT reward and then 10 extra each day from 'Confederate'). A supertester on EU reached Hakuryu (T10) with ~220 games.

To me it doesn't feel grindy (as it's a game and should be fun) as long as the ship is OK. Going through Furutuka felt like living hell, but now that I look at my stats I only played 20 games with that piece of crap.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: July 17, 2015, 01:43:59 PM

Each game is about 12 minutes right? So that's only 4 hours!

The part that sucks is getting dinky Exp when you just played a 15 minute game but your team loses. If I die in 5 mins, sure give me nada but if it was a slog of a fight I'd like to get more than 400-500 exp please.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 01:45:47 PM by Viin »

- Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #267 on: July 17, 2015, 02:52:44 PM

One of my big beefs is it taking XP to buy modules AND research new ships. So you slog through a shitty boat only taking required modules to get to the next tier, but have to waste XP on said modules, all the while skipping potential improvement modules that may or may not be that big of an improvement. In other words, the daunting XP needed for the research for the next tier really costs more when you factor in the required modules you need on your current PoS - looking at you Myogi.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: July 17, 2015, 03:11:55 PM

Is this your first wargaming title?  I ask because get tank/plane use xp to unlock modules to open up the unlock for the next tank/plane is pretty much what they built the company on.   I don't find the game grindy, but that's partially due to having premium time and partially because in alpha/closed beta I learned what lines I liked to play and I'm not wasting any time playing the ones I don't like.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #269 on: July 17, 2015, 03:15:41 PM

I've just got the last modules for the New York and the notion of grinding this thing for the ~20-30 battles it'll take makes me weep. It is fun when a new ship is fairly close at hand, but day after day of the same ships is gonna make me quit this, I'm pretty sure. Also, wtf is up with the Furutaka. Its a total horror comparied to the other cruisers at the same tier or below. That gun turn time is horrid, and you'd think they'd compensate by giving it enhanced range, like they do with IJN battleships, but nooo.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: July 17, 2015, 04:34:57 PM

I've just got the last modules for the New York and the notion of grinding this thing for the ~20-30 battles it'll take makes me weep. It is fun when a new ship is fairly close at hand, but day after day of the same ships is gonna make me quit this, I'm pretty sure. Also, wtf is up with the Furutaka. Its a total horror comparied to the other cruisers at the same tier or below. That gun turn time is horrid, and you'd think they'd compensate by giving it enhanced range, like they do with IJN battleships, but nooo.

Good news is the Devs are aware of Furutuka being crap.

Bad news is it's just crap. It is a Tier 5 cruiser that does less DPS/DPM/ouchies per minute than any Tier 3 cruiser in game. That alone says all imho.

It can't take damage very well, but if you dodge and weave your turrets can't track. The only way I found it playable was to stick behind a battleship/group of cruisers, wait until they engaged and then do damage while the enemy ships are distracted. But it's just not fun to play.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 04:38:22 PM by calapine »

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #271 on: July 17, 2015, 06:33:23 PM

Yeah, the Furrytaco is what I'm on right now in the IJN cruiser line. The turrets tracking at 5 different speeds is pretty annoying but other than that it's not bad. I play it like a really fast BB and that seems to get me at least 2 kills a game, sometimes more.

Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #272 on: July 18, 2015, 12:38:50 AM

The grind felt just about right to me in closed beta but for release they severely nerfed XP and I quickly lost interest.  Wargaming devs just love grind. 
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: July 18, 2015, 12:59:23 AM

I have the same problem as the awful Furutaka is a pain to grind and going to Mutsuki (tier 6 destroyer) from Minekaze doesn't feel like an upgrade especially due to starting with 6km torps on a 5.9km detection range boat (compared to Minekaze's 7km default torps) and even fully upgraded the Mutsuki doesn't seem rally any better than Minekaze.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #274 on: July 19, 2015, 07:43:38 AM

I enjoyed this game at first, but after coming back since open beta, its wearing me down.  DD damage output is way above BB's.  Games are nothing but a mess of torpedoes shot from beyond visual range that you cant see till the last minute.  Pretty much the only enjoyable ship to play is a DD since I can rape with it.  Cruisers are OK, but fairly ineffective.  BB's are almost totally useless except for drawing fire.  Their DPS is sad, and outmatched even by cruisers.

They need to hardcore re-balance this game.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #275 on: July 19, 2015, 10:25:15 AM

The only balance really needed is to have a hit or two from a bb utterly obliterate any dd. Right now, I have to bean a dd 5-10 times to destroy him in a bb, and that shit isn't even remotely realistic.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #276 on: July 19, 2015, 10:49:11 AM

That's funny, I've found that unless I equip the signal that gives me -100% chance of magazine detonation, my DD's are usually cored in like one to three hits unless I'm doing a lot of jinking.

WayAbvPar

Reply #277 on: July 19, 2015, 11:33:30 AM

Grind and incredibly slow pace is killing this for me. If I division with teammates in a DD and make a mistake early (and get killed), I have a 15 minute wait before I can play again. That is way too goddamned long. Will play occasionally, but I don't see myself getting into this too deeply unless there are some changes made.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #278 on: July 19, 2015, 11:48:10 AM

That's not really any different than World of Tanks, though.
WayAbvPar

Reply #279 on: July 19, 2015, 01:03:43 PM

I can play 3x the number of tanks games in the same time period. I also have a far greater ability to affect the outcome of the game in most tanks. The current ships meta of 'everyone hide in the back and one team caps all the points' is also boring as fuck to play.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Warships  
Jump to: