Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:33:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Warships 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Warships  (Read 241583 times)
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #105 on: June 16, 2015, 01:27:44 PM

I got the humble bundle, so if anyone wants a World Of Tanks code, let me know.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: June 16, 2015, 03:35:57 PM

I got the humble bundle, so if anyone wants a World Of Tanks code, let me know.

Same here, also have a WoWS cbt invite code.
WayAbvPar

Reply #107 on: June 16, 2015, 03:40:44 PM

I have one of each. Engels, hit me up on Steam if you wanna toon some boats.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #108 on: June 16, 2015, 06:33:09 PM

I'll be in at some point as Strazos.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Strazos

Reply #109 on: June 16, 2015, 06:45:30 PM

Ridiculous question - where does one get the WoWS client?

Bleh, email went to Spam - now just trying to actually access the page.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 06:47:42 PM by Strazos »

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: June 16, 2015, 06:51:57 PM

Suranis1 on the EU server here

Hic sunt dracones.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #111 on: June 16, 2015, 08:31:28 PM

Jesus Christ, this game is fucking crack. I just played like 7 or 8 games in a row and had to make myself stop playing. There's something about tech trees, experience gathering and upgrades that is utterly irresistible. The difference in gameplay between destroyer, battleship and cruiser is pretty stark. Few questions:

1) Does the Erie just plain suck? It seems to have less firepower than the destroyer.
2) Should I buy every ship I research, or just skip some of the ones that don't look that good like the tier 2 cruiser? Once I buy a ship, can I sell it back to free up a slot?

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #112 on: June 16, 2015, 08:58:28 PM

2) Should I buy every ship I research, or just skip some of the ones that don't look that good like the tier 2 cruiser? Once I buy a ship, can I sell it back to free up a slot?

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: June 16, 2015, 08:59:46 PM

The Erie is the tech 1 starter ship. Yeah it sucks compared with later ships. Basically as you go up the tiers ships become technically more powerful as you are going forward in time for that race, supposedly. The Eirie gives a little big of every tipe of gameplay that you will encounter later, but they are pretty terrible yeah.

You get destroyers at Tier 2 so yeah the will be better than the T1 ship. The T2 cruiser US Cruiser would be the Chester.

If you buy a ship you can sell it if you don't like it, but its best not to do so until you have played it enough to reserch the ships on its upgrade path. Then you can sell it to free up a slot.

To reach the next tier you generally have to play the previous tier to get enough "research points" to unlock it. So the Eire would need to be played enough to generate enough points to unlock the Chester and then more for the Sampson Destroyer. Later you  get "free XP" that you can use on anything. And of course you can use gold to convert bits and pieces of XP from ships that have everything researched (elite ships)

Of course once you get to the Higher tiers it takes more and more XP to unlock stuff and research the Next tier. Its their way of forcing you to pay for premium time.

When you research a module you can equip it. This will generally make your ship better, but you can hover over them to see what exactly they do. For example the tier tier 5 US battleship has an upgrade to its hull that hugely increases its AA, but reduces its Secondary batteries by half, so sometimes you actually think "do I want this upgrade?"

Coming From World of tanks I like to keep at least one ship that I like at each tier so I can hop into something at every tier if I feel like it

For now I'd look at unlocking the USN St Louis cruiser. Its atypical for cruisers in that its slow, sluggish to turn, has practically no AA and it does not have torpedos, but what it does have is a MASSIVE amount of guns. Its great fun to play around with. Try the first few IFN ships as well.

But Remember that your progress will be wiped soonish once the closed beta ends, so don't get too attached to your upgrade progress. Just take this opportunity to play around with stuff.

*edit* I found this video very helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMOZBuUrfF4 I dont 100% agree with him on how to range on things but its helpful on how to find your ship stats and how to read what your ship can do and so on. It also talks about team tactics.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 09:04:34 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #114 on: June 18, 2015, 07:41:39 AM

New developer blog for patch 0.4.0

http://blog.worldofwarships.eu/developer-bulletin-update-0-4-0/

Gist of it: One new map, premium consumables and new commander skill. The stupidest of which is the carrier one: manual targeting your torpedo bombers is now a perk that needs to be unlocked.  Ohhhhh, I see.

In general I have some complaints about the direction the game is going, but it's mostly higher level game-play cripes which I don't want to bore anyone with. So biting my tongue!

Updated the original post with the names of F13eers playing, hope I didn't mess up the regional allocation.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 08:00:01 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: June 18, 2015, 08:17:10 AM

In general I have some complaints about the direction the game is going, but it's mostly higher level game-play cripes which I don't want to bore anyone with. So biting my tongue!

I'd like to hear it.  When I got to tier 6 ships the game changed for the worse and I lost interest. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: June 18, 2015, 08:20:33 AM

New developer blog for patch 0.4.0

http://blog.worldofwarships.eu/developer-bulletin-update-0-4-0/

Gist of it: One new map, premium consumables and new commander skill. The stupidest of which is the carrier one: manual targeting your torpedo bombers is now a perk that needs to be unlocked.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Updated the original post with the names of F13eers playing, hope I didn't mess up the regional allocation.

That carrier perk is 100% bs but atleast it's a level 2 perk and not higher. The more I play the game the more it feels like one where  actual group tactics might matter (like screening battleships with cruisers to prevent enemy from doing easy torpedo bomber runs on them).
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: June 18, 2015, 01:00:26 PM

Notice about a test client and server for 0.4.0 here http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/sea-trials-common-test-040/
Strazos

Reply #118 on: June 18, 2015, 06:03:09 PM

I love the nublet carrier drivers who just load bombers - easy targets for my fighter squads.

Fear the Backstab!
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: June 18, 2015, 06:55:45 PM

I love the nublet carrier drivers who just load bombers - easy targets for my fighter squads.

If it's a Japanese carrier they don't have much choice. You can get one group of 4 fighters that will die in a fight against any American fighter group and kill maybe 1-2 american fighters on the way out. It's much better to just take an extra torpedo bomber group and have the extra planes.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: June 18, 2015, 07:25:47 PM

Yeah, you take 2 IJN fighter wings against 1 USN fighter wing and the one USN fighter wing will win, losing half its planes if the IJN player is lucky. Not only are USN fighters better, but they come in wings of 6 not 4. The only use for IJN fighters is to park them over something with lots of AA and hope they get a couple of splashes. Its not even useful in defence as the IJN Carrier AA is crap.

That said, I was in a game a couple of days ago with a T4 IJN Carrier and I took a single flight of fighters and I was up against a USN T4 Carrier with just 2 bomber wings and my single flight of fighters totally neutered him. It probably was a hell game for the poor bastard. If he had gone with a wing of fighters and a wing of bombers, he might well have neutered me.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 07:33:07 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: June 18, 2015, 08:31:23 PM

Yeah, you take 2 IJN fighter wings against 1 USN fighter wing and the one USN fighter wing will win, losing half its planes if the IJN player is lucky. Not only are USN fighters better, but they come in wings of 6 not 4. The only use for IJN fighters is to park them over something with lots of AA and hope they get a couple of splashes. Its not even useful in defence as the IJN Carrier AA is crap.

That said, I was in a game a couple of days ago with a T4 IJN Carrier and I took a single flight of fighters and I was up against a USN T4 Carrier with just 2 bomber wings and my single flight of fighters totally neutered him. It probably was a hell game for the poor bastard. If he had gone with a wing of fighters and a wing of bombers, he might well have neutered me.

Yea - I hate it when I go up against a higher tier carrier or one with 2 flights or fighters.  But then you only have dive bombers at low level and those are horrid.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #122 on: June 19, 2015, 12:59:51 PM

Looks like ships, upgrades and ship slots are all 50% off right now.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: June 19, 2015, 01:26:49 PM

Is there an F13 division or channel on the NA server?

- Viin
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: June 19, 2015, 06:35:05 PM

Well there doesn't seem to be an F13 channel, so I created one. I *think* you can join it by hitting Create Channel and just typing in F13.

- Viin
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: June 19, 2015, 07:35:07 PM

I'll look for it later tonight. Anyone know when CBT ends? Only up to 33 matches right now and wondering if I need to pound out the last few to get the free ship or if I have plenty of time.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #126 on: June 19, 2015, 09:24:00 PM

veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: June 19, 2015, 10:41:29 PM

Awesome, thanks!
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: June 20, 2015, 04:47:02 AM

According to a poster on the EU forums the end of june OBT isn't happending according to a WG staffer on the German forums.  wink

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: June 23, 2015, 03:15:29 AM

And to contridct the last statment:

I have to say OBT in a week sounds way too early, too many issues with the game (Destroyer and Carriers, both gameplay and balance for example).  Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 03:28:35 AM by calapine »

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: June 23, 2015, 03:47:17 AM

Open beta might as well be the release if there are no more wipes scheduled so I would agree that it's too early and the impression players will get might not be the best one.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: June 23, 2015, 06:07:30 AM

Open beta might as well be the release if there are no more wipes scheduled so I would agree that it's too early and the impression players will get might not be the best one.

Yes, exactly that.

Just today they announced another PBT test starting this evening (20:00 CEST / 18:00 UTC / 14:00 EDT) until tomorrow. The rush they they are betraying here suggests they are pushing hard for OBT.

Patch Notes:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 06:09:16 AM by calapine »

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: June 23, 2015, 06:26:57 AM

Commander's skill "Manual Control" has been removed

Any idea if that means you can control without a skill or that there is no manual control anymore?
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: June 23, 2015, 06:57:17 AM

Any idea if that means you can control without a skill or that there is no manual control anymore?

The former. Anything else would be too absurd.   why so serious?

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: June 23, 2015, 07:18:40 AM

The former. Anything else would be too absurd.   why so serious?

You never know. If they felt it would take too much work to balance the manual version they just might have got rid of it while they hurry to get the open beta out.  Ohhhhh, I see.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: June 23, 2015, 07:31:13 AM

No manual control would be a lot more realistic but it would also be game breakingly bad. Especially with friendly collision damage on.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: June 23, 2015, 07:46:46 AM

Aaaaaand the Open Beta Announcement is out...

http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/open-beta-announcement/

WayAbvPar

Reply #137 on: June 23, 2015, 10:56:10 AM

Nice to see an official announcement,  but I don't think this is ready for the public yet. It is fun, but it is opaque as hell. The only reason I have even a shadow of a clue is because I have been reading about it. A new player coming in blind will really be at a disadvantage. There are also tons of bugs fixes/improvements needed.

If you in the mood to grab pre-order boats, I love my Yubari and Sims. Haven't played the Russian boats enough yet to get a feel for them.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #138 on: June 23, 2015, 11:15:20 AM

Yeah it definitely feels like they are rushing it out.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: June 23, 2015, 01:24:43 PM

Yeah it definitely feels like they are rushing it out.

Well, on the plus side, you can at least practice on bots, unlike WoT.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Warships  
Jump to: