Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:34:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Warships 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Warships  (Read 241582 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #35 on: May 21, 2015, 08:04:40 AM

Cool, thanks.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #36 on: May 21, 2015, 11:41:33 AM

The role of premium vehicles in WoT is for cash earning and crew training, and that doesn't really work till tier 6 or so. I suspect that the same applies for WoPoBS

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
WayAbvPar

Reply #37 on: May 21, 2015, 12:03:06 PM

The role of premium vehicles in WoT is for cash earning and crew training, and that doesn't really work till tier 6 or so. I suspect that the same applies for WoPoBS

I wish!!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: May 22, 2015, 02:30:25 PM

seems like the NA server is awarding 5x XP for your first win this weekend.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39 on: May 22, 2015, 02:52:31 PM

XP already seems to accrue pretty quickly (the boost calapine referred to earlier). Now if it was 5x all weekend...
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: May 23, 2015, 08:14:05 AM

Got 12k xp in one good match with my to US BB.  Sadly when open comes xp gain will be nerfed hard.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: May 23, 2015, 05:45:22 PM

Got 12k xp in one good match with my to US BB.  Sadly when open comes xp gain will be nerfed hard.

I imagine the same will happen with silver.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: May 24, 2015, 04:58:04 AM

Yup, they've said that cbt income and xp are inflated to allow for testing all tiers and the various modules you can buy for ships.
Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: May 24, 2015, 11:42:46 AM

Haven't played much but really enjoying it more than I did WoT.  The bot combat probably helps, at least with the low tier battles. 
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: May 24, 2015, 11:46:53 AM

Haven't played much but really enjoying it more than I did WoT.  The bot combat probably helps, at least with the low tier battles. 

Yeah, I wish was co-op play against bots for WoT.  It's a great feature to have.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #45 on: May 25, 2015, 08:06:58 PM

seems like the NA server is awarding 5x XP for your first win this weekend.
It's 5x XP for the first win per ship.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #46 on: May 26, 2015, 09:20:17 AM

So I can get in on the fun if I preorder a bundle. Has anyone here purchased the boats in question? I am inclined to go for the Tier VII US destroyer bundle...

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
WayAbvPar

Reply #47 on: May 26, 2015, 10:14:42 AM

I bought the 3 boat pack for $70. Not sure which are in it, since I haven't bothered to log in during beta. Want to keep it fresh so  I don't burn out quite as quickly.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #48 on: May 26, 2015, 10:24:05 AM

So I can get in on the fun if I preorder a bundle. Has anyone here purchased the boats in question? I am inclined to go for the Tier VII US destroyer bundle...
I bought it and I'm satisfied with the purchase. I don't particularly like destroyer gameplay so 2 of the ships aren't as useful as I'd like. They do have the advantage that any captains can use them without penalty regardless of what sort of ship they're trained to use. Between the ships, the gold, and the early access my opinion is that it's well worth it.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #49 on: May 26, 2015, 10:24:36 AM

I bought the 3 boat pack for $70. Not sure which are in it, since I haven't bothered to log in during beta. Want to keep it fresh so  I don't burn out quite as quickly.

Oh wow. That might be the first time I see a game cheaper to buy Euro prices.  fucking Valve

€ 49,99 converts to $ 54,35 at the current rate.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #50 on: May 26, 2015, 11:30:35 AM

NA gets 1250 more gold (5500 total) and 60 more Premium days (90 days total) for the Triple pack. That's an extra $6.69 + $12.59 + $12.59 or ~29 €. So you are still screwed why so serious?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #51 on: May 26, 2015, 11:34:34 AM

I have the triple pack though I haven't played them yet either awesome, for real

In my case it's cause they don't unlock other ships and I'm still unlocking the other ship types. I did just unlock the rank that gives you the Free Experience perk, though, so I may start playing those ships to see what they are like.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: May 29, 2015, 08:34:12 PM

Or if it's a overpowered monster like the pac40.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: May 30, 2015, 06:12:43 AM

I heard this game was full of autolock/auto find hacks. That true?
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: May 30, 2015, 10:24:39 AM

I heard this game was full of autolock/auto find hacks. That true?

There was a "lead prediction aim bot assist" that showed you where to aim (mainly useful for battleships) - assuming the target doesn't change course. A patch two weeks ago supposedly encrypted the scripting part of the game to prevent this.

Whether some inventive Russians already circumvented this with a new version I can't tell as I don't go looking for such things. The aim bot-complaints on the forum have stopped for now at least.

Edit: Corrected as by Trippy.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 10:45:21 AM by calapine »

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #55 on: May 30, 2015, 10:30:11 AM

Yes, this is the Aim Assist mod (it's not a bot):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-F4-dFtdKY

World of Warships like World of Tanks is moddable and Wargaming.net originally they said mods like these were fine but they've apparently changed their minds. It'll be interesting to see if they do something similar with WoT. Some of those mods seem really OP.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: May 30, 2015, 11:00:00 AM

Oh yes, there is another, so far legal, mod that unlocks the camera birds-eye-view. I tried it once and it's quite an advantage for aiming and allows shots over islands that would normally be impossible. I hope they ban it, else it might become a "must have mod".

Screenshot (complete with an ugly crosshair mod):

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #57 on: May 31, 2015, 08:48:42 AM

Looks like the arty camera mod, which can't really be banned, seeing that Wargaming gave the coders of the mod the Wargaming Developers award -for it-.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #58 on: May 31, 2015, 11:25:49 AM

Must. resist.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: May 31, 2015, 11:34:54 AM

Looks like the arty camera mod, which can't really be banned, seeing that Wargaming gave the coders of the mod the Wargaming Developers award -for it-.

It's been around since alpha.  The original GUI used this overhead view as the primary view for shooting, but WG decided it wasn't as immersive as they wanted and changed to the binos view we have now.   The mod makes it a little easier to shoot over islands but doesn't let you see anything that isn't already in view.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #60 on: June 01, 2015, 03:50:32 PM

Yeah, I don't see that mod making anywhere near as huge a difference as the arty mod does. That's like playing a whole different game.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: June 05, 2015, 06:42:20 AM

Yeah, I don't see that mod making anywhere near as huge a difference as the arty mod does. That's like playing a whole different game.

Well, I disagree. Mods that alter the camera to give an advantage are cheating. Those who use them are cheaters and should be banned!

---

Anyway, something different: The default view on the ship is zoomed in rather close, which hinders situational awareness quite a bit. So I made a mod that alters the camera to provide a wider field of view. Should be an advantage when navigating between island groups for example.

Default view stays unchanged, but now it's possible to zoom out another step.

Download link
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 07:36:15 AM by calapine »

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: June 10, 2015, 07:10:00 AM

It seems the step from closed to open beta is imminent™ soon™.

The Asia region was informed about an incoming account wipe.

More below spoilers:

Closed Beta Test accounts to be wiped soon - rewards to follow

The Closed Beta Test will be undergoing another round of wipes very soon as we take one step closer to Open Beta and the eventual release of World of Warships. To create fair conditions for everyone who will join after the start of Open Beta, all progress will be removed, such as credits earned and ships purchased,

However, there are significant benefits to those who have participated actively in the testing. Here are the following benefits of your labour to reap:

• Account Level will be partially restored based on the number of battles you fought.
  • Signal flags will be partially restored based on the number of battles you fought.
  • Two experienced commanders will await you in your port with a certain amount of free skills. This amount is dependent on your participation in the testing phase. These commanders will be at your service on Tier I US and IJN vessels until an appropriate account level is unlocked. At that point you can retain these two gentlemen to command any ship you desire for free.

Note: Contents of any purchased pre-order packages will be invoiced to your account after the wipe, as previously stated in the package description and on our portal. Iwaki Alpha will be restored to your port if you received this ship for your participation in the Closed Alpha phase. Please note that you will receive only the ship – modifications and crew will be wiped.

CBT Reward: USS Arkansas

Being a Beta Tester is all about sticking with the game for the long haul, and we're fortunate to have some very loyal players with us while we tighten the screws and polish the game in time for release.

To reward those of you who have been sailing the seas and battling online foes throughout the Closed Beta, all players that have participated in at least 50 battles will receive the USS Arkansas, a unique warship not available anywhere else.

USS Arkansas is one of the brightest examples of U.S. battleships. While having relatively a low speed of travel and firing range, Arkansas is characterized by good manoeuvrability, well-armoured citadel, and anti-torpedo defense system. She is equipped with anti-aircraft armaments and multiple primary guns. Not only that, the ship will also be painted in a unique camouflage scheme to make it stand out whenever it leaves your port.

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: June 10, 2015, 08:15:50 AM

I like the beta reward ship choice.  Between it and the Sims my US training ship needs will be covered.  I think they still have significant work to do on balance, especially HE and fires but I'm ok with the transition to Open Beta since WG has a track record of continuing to develop and change games after release.  Current WoT bears very little resemblance to what it looked like at release. 

Also there's another patch inbound 3.1.4 it buffs low tier US carriers, nerfs higher tier Japanese carriers and buffs AP.  Patch note discussion from EU page in the spoiler.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: June 10, 2015, 03:12:52 PM

I haven't played for like 2 months.  I think I played over 150 matches, but don't know if there was a wipe since.  Would be great to get the reward ship... though I'm not sure I'll ever play this again.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #65 on: June 10, 2015, 03:26:18 PM

I'm waiting for the Graf Spee.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: June 10, 2015, 03:48:18 PM

I'm waiting for the Graf Spee.

You Nazi!  Heart

My guess for the order of introduction: Bismarck as premium ship (she already in the game files), Russian Navy with looots of fictive paper ships, Kriegsmarine, Royal Navy.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 03:50:02 PM by calapine »

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #67 on: June 10, 2015, 04:12:39 PM

I don't remember which geek comic it was (it was one of those comics like Dork Tower or Knights of the Dinner Table) which had a strip about gamer types and included the guy with an unhealthy fascination with Germany's WWII war machine. That was me as a kid -- I always liked playing the Germans in WWII wargames (the type with cardboard counters) cause they had the coolest units awesome, for real

Getting back to the Graf Spee, there were a lot of us in my neighborhood growing up that played wargames and one of them was Seapower, a naval miniatures wargame. We didn't play it that much cause of one of us would have to dedicate our home's living room for a afternoon or more because of the scale involved but it was fun. The mainstays of my fleet was a pair of Deutschland-class cruisers -- i.e. the Graf Spee and her sister ships. They were awesome cause they were the size of heavy cruisers but had the range of a battleship -- i.e. they were totally OP DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #68 on: June 10, 2015, 05:37:13 PM

They were awesome cause they were the size of heavy cruisers but had the range of a battleship -- i.e. they were totally OP DRILLING AND MANLINESS

What's that a direct result of the treaty of Versailles?

TOV: Germany shall have no battleships and nothing over x-tonnes!
NG: Ok. *proceeds to pump everything into cruiser tech until they surpass most battleships*

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #69 on: June 10, 2015, 10:12:09 PM

Yes it was, though Germany did go on to build real battleships like the Bismark mentioned above later on.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Warships  
Jump to: