Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:38:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: 7 days to die (server) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 7 days to die (server)  (Read 51145 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #175 on: June 18, 2017, 04:12:32 PM

After a few false starts trying to 'fix' wolves (after getting constantly mauled to death), I finally figured out how to tweak it better than trying to learn the new spawn system (across multiple xml): just tweak the class directly. Can slow them down, reduce awareness, etc.

Or be like casual me and swap them out for stags. Stag pack spawn still makes me chuckle.

Srsly fuck stock wolves, had packs spawn directly in front of me and take me out before I could get a second swing in.

One of the great things about this game is how customizable it is for casual to hardcore, and the design for harder core players is actually fun and I keep incrementing towards it every new game.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: June 28, 2017, 06:18:10 AM

Did I mention the traps and electricity in A16?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pl3OD1qYI4
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: July 13, 2017, 06:31:15 AM

Alpha 16 stable is out! Not without its share of bugs, but it's very playable and there was a huge amount of content added. Well worth another look if you haven't played in a while. Good timing because my computer crashed last night (unrelated to 7D2D) and wiped my save. Not the first time, so I've been backing up, but I had just looted the massive amount of book crates in the new corporate building for Crack a Book...

http://7daystodie.com/a16-early-streaming-release-notes/

Grab a cuppa or a coldee and behold:

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: July 16, 2017, 01:15:50 PM

Goddamn undead vultures have got to go. I hated the hornets, but at least they stuck to the cities, and you could pull honey out of them. First encounter I had in version 16 was a goddamn vulture swooping on me. No problem right? two hits and it's dead -- and I'm infected.

Hey, let's head to Trader Joe's and maybe he'll have some antibiotics... Nope, and now there is a horde outside trying to tear down his wall.

Anyway, flying infection vectors need to stay out of my zombie apocalypse, and I'm looking at you too 28 Weeks Later!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: July 16, 2017, 07:22:55 PM

Yeah, the new spawn system is giving me trouble with removing entity classes entirely (I had been swapping dogs and hornets with stags). So I just nerfed the shit out of them, made them extend the timid class and gutted their AI routines to target the player. So far so good.

Honey is a bit more common as loot, check stumps. I almost died from infection and also dysentery, that's almost never happened in the game, so it's probably a good change overall.

Though the vultures not respecting the day 1 safe zone is a bug and is supposedly fixed with the hotfix yesterday evening.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: July 17, 2017, 07:19:24 AM

I also run the console command 'weathersurvival off' at the beginning of each session. Unsure where to alter that via xml, and for now I'm avoiding the jacket donning/removal simulator until it's a more interesting system.

As amazing as this update is, be aware zombies are super broken right now. They can't hear well or smell at all. I believe they shut those off to work on other systems, but it makes for some really unbelievable moments, like trailing a horde and picking off singles without anyone else noticing.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: July 17, 2017, 12:19:33 PM

The weather system doesn't bother me too much, although things can certainly get pretty funky near the edge of the biomes. I actually like the zombies being a bit broken right now, since they are pretty thick on the ground. I can use every chance I get.

Restarted, got bit by a vulture again. I really hate to do much modding/config editing on an Alpha game. Too much of a moving target. But I might have to to get rid of those things. Do not like them, no sir.

I'm also apparently having the worse RNG this patch too. Dozens of tree stumps and dead nurses have dropped not one antibiotic. Not even a bandage, although I did get a vitamin once.

All I need is a mushroom and I might be able to make my own, but I have a bad feeling I'm going to have to go down into a cave to get any shrooms, and I hate caves.

Things look a lot better now. The ragdoll effects are certainly more realistic. Seeing buildings in the distance is also a nice touch. But they might have cranked up the game difficulty a little too much for this casual player.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: July 17, 2017, 07:51:46 PM

I'm pretty newbish at it and only nerf the vultures (because fuck them) and the wolves (until they stop being nigh instadeath with their sight range/close speed/pack spawn). It's got very friendly xml to edit, though it got a LOT more complex with the new spawn system (I've yet to remove an entity class or even swap it without errors...need to learn how to fix sleeper cell calls).

It's tougher but in mostly enjoyable ways, or at least in interesting 'make me a better player' ways. I play way less lazy now (still totally lazy though)
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: July 17, 2017, 11:10:57 PM

Yeah, I've messed with the xml in the previous Alphas enough to nerf the whole 7 Days horde spawn thing, which now has been replaced by the Blood Moon? Which sounds kinda interesting, so I haven't tried to change it for this playthrough, yet.

I'm less about wanting to build forts in this game and more about wandering around establishing temporary bases while I explore and "level up."
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: July 18, 2017, 07:13:01 AM

The two basic play styles are Builder and Nomad, so you should be fine.

Why would you nerf hordes, they're the best part :) There are now 3 kinds of hordes: screamer, wandering and Blood Moon.

Screamer hordes are spawned when a screamer zombie senses you. A screamer is a rare spawn on the normal spawn tables, more commonly she'll show up if you get a base going because of the heat map mechanic (lots of forges, workbenches, torches, etc). She's kinda asian long hair creepy girl, you'll be more scared of her here than those movies.

Wandering hordes are new, the game will randomly throw a horde in your direction to keep you from getting too lazy. It breaks up the regular gameplay nicely imo, reminds you to keep your head on a swivel because it's not just a zombie or two, it can be a train of them. And they can be big, a couple dozen is not uncommon. Luckily the AI being crippled in code right now means you're only in danger if you're right in their path. But you should still take them out, lots of loot and xp (especially for Nomads).

Blood Moons have been around a while now, it's the 7th night horde. On day 7, 14, etc, you'll have constant zed spawn that is always hunting you. Can't hide. You can build a base and traps or just fight it out, both styles are valid. Most of the devs actually play as Nomads, Gazz doesn't even have walls on his base, it's just his bedroll, forge, workbench and some crates. Anyway, these are relentless and will spawn a number based on your calculated gamestage, and the number in the options menu (when you create or continue a game) is how many will be alive at one time. So if your gamestage spawns 70 zombies for the Blood Moon and you chose 16 in the menu, the game will try to keep 16 zombies coming at you until it hits 70 total spawned. If you cream them early, I think it will continue to send stragglers, unsure (I always seem to get a stream of stragglers after the main horde is down).

Gamestage is also new. The game looks at your gear type and quality level, how long you've been alive, what game day it is. Then it calculates a number called the gamestage that it uses to populate the spawn calls (and of course the contents of those calls are all open to xml). All spawn systems use the GS as a basis for populating their call.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: July 18, 2017, 01:58:28 PM

Looks like they've changed the way the 7th Day Horde/Blood Moon interval is calculated. With an admittedly quick scan of some of the xml files I don't see a quick and easy way to change the value. In old games I would set it to be like once a month or longer, to better suit my playstyle.

Point me to the particular spot in the xmls where I can change the value? Otherwise I could just nerf the gamestages I guess, but I'm not looking at making all that much effort...
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: July 18, 2017, 03:13:21 PM

In spawning.xml, look for NightHorde. Change the day values to increment however you want.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: July 18, 2017, 10:25:53 PM

In spawning.xml, look for NightHorde. Change the day values to increment however you want.

Aha. Thanks.

It's not even the hordes that bother me, just the "always seek you out" crap.

And yeah, dogs/wolves are even more OP than ever. I was being chased by some zombies, suddenly a canine form shot past me and attacked the two zombies. Cool, I thought, until he knocked them over then turned on me. Took like two bites.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: July 19, 2017, 06:13:41 AM

I nerfed their hp. Still a danger, especially in packs, but at least if I'm quick to club them down I have a chance. For the first week they're just too brutal because you can't mete out damage or mitigate theirs well. Also was in the wasteland for a bit, so I can attest that the AI nerf for vultures worked great. I did have one come at me, not sure if it was intentional or he just swooped near me. But most of them left me alone, which was fine.

Found the Crack a Book HQ and got the spiked club, now I can 1-shot the first two tiers of zombies (I've trained Pummel Pete, though). As a non-combat-focus character it makes me happy.

Now I've got to improve my base for the 2nd week horde. Going to try the spike pit, I've got decent enough tools this week and hopefully can get enough concrete mixed (I found three mixers on the construction site, I'll spend a day or two there mixing). My week 1 base was a 9x9 room with horizontal pole walls (poles have same SI as full blocks, but you can shoot through them and unlike metal bars, collect loot) and a 2-wide spike moat.

Had the usual issue with zombies piling up on the spikes, making them difficult to repair. Have to think about that one, it's a perennial problem. Or just suck it up until I can make a layered defense with turrets and whatnot. It's a really good Alpha phase to try base building, btw. Hordes are extra dumb and we got a lot of new toys.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: July 25, 2017, 06:41:09 AM

Somehow I never made it far enough in A15 to get a minibike (I was focused on learning proper base building and how SI works, I had always played mostly nomadic). Such a great addition to the game! I only had a QL80 engine to build the first bike, but quickly found a QL 250 engine, huuuge difference! And then looting last night, I came across a QL 550 basket! The mobile storage helps a lot with the longer distance scavenging.

Spike pit worked ok, but had the problem where they mill around at the top. Reloaded my backup and tried again with the max alive cranked to 64, which helped knock a few in as they jostled around. Trying a bit of an upgrade to the design. One nice thing is that by putting my workshop under the pit, screamers are drawn there instead of my bedroll/storage/POI house. Spent week 3 connecting my 1st week tower, the POI and the pit base and building it out with walls. Now I have some mobility and my first pretty darn decent base.

Starting to pick the countryside pretty clean, so I may go scouting for a new location for the next level base, or maybe just expand out the defenses around the pit and keep that as a central core. Having the bike helps a lot, though I'll need to get a chem station pretty soon, as I've been scavenging the cars in the area as I drive around...and I'll need a ton of gas for generators when I put in electricity soon (trader joel had a crappy generator for sale, cheap)
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: July 25, 2017, 09:35:49 AM

I ended up nerfing the zombie dog speed, and then further nerfing the hit points of all living dangerous creatures by 90 percent. It just didn't feel right to be in the middle of a massive altercation with zombies and have to panic when a couple of wolves enter the scene.

I left bears alone though. Bears should be insane.

Been experimenting with the base-all-up-on-concrete-columns-with-traps-below design. The neat thing is that the zombies help you in knocking out the lower floor walls!

I've never actually completed a minibike either. I think I'll make that a goal for this playthrough.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: July 25, 2017, 10:00:45 AM

Main problem I have with a stilt design is that once your spikes are gone, you have to stay centered so they don't knock out the support columns.  In A15 I fortified a POI (which I feel is unnecessarily too large for an early base) and used half slabs so I could repair the spikes outside.

I'll take some pics of my week 1 and week 2/3 bases.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #192 on: July 25, 2017, 11:47:57 AM

I've been setting up multiple mini-platforms with bridges to nearby POIs, leading the hordes around to snipe and run them over spikes. As long as they don't dig holes and destabilize under the posts everything goes fine. I suspect once puking cops start spawning it'll all go to shit, but I haven't come up with any real defense against those.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: July 25, 2017, 01:22:01 PM

I put a block or two of foundation under my posts, my walkways are pretty much still wood frames at this point, benefit is I can pull them up if a spider gets up top.

Underground bases can be kinda cheaty since zeds don't deal with them well, but my point isn't to avoid confrontation, just trying to build a better zed trap. The spike pit will stop being effective when exploding cops show up, so I'll use the next couple weeks to develop my science skills.

I should probably go into creative mode and try out different ideas, but I'm stubborn about learning under fire :)
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: July 25, 2017, 10:00:07 PM

http://imgur.com/a/jSSm5

Just got steel as night fell and upgraded the spikes to steel. The worst ones were only 70% damaged, so it was more than enough for what fell in. Need to rework the upper opening, they tore out all my wedges. Way more fell in on the 21 day horde than the 14 day, but maybe there were just more overall. Still need a better way to get them in. Next build will probably be a gauntlet style, where they have to make it through a hallway of traps. Trying to balance killing the most zombies with the least repairs and most loot.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #195 on: July 27, 2017, 09:42:53 AM

Shotgun turrets essentially solved horde night for me.  I dug a pit 20 blocks down.  At 15 I set up the zombie kill floor, surrounded by iron bars.  Floor is quarter blocks.  I stand under the kill floor and loot as zombie fall in and get destroyed by 5 shotgun turrets.  I didn't even bother looting the last tow horde nights, just went afk under the kill floor.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: July 27, 2017, 11:19:53 AM

Holy crap! Well, I don't think I'll be sharing the pics of my modest two room walk-up in the burbs. I have a forge and a workbench. I actually spend time worrying about insulating and venting the firebox. Yes, I know the game doesn't model that sort of thing, but it just doesn't look right sitting on a wooden floor in a closed room.

What the game does model is weather, and I have to say as awkward as the interface is for changing clothes I wouldn't want to remove it. Just too big a gameplay and construction effect. For instance, the hatch in my roof leaks (considering that I built it out of scrap wood and ripped off metal siding I'd be surprised if it didn't). Big puddle of snow under it in the center of my room. Can't dry out anywhere near it. So I went up and build a shed over it on the roof. Gripping adventure!

But then I've nerfed the Horde spawns so much now that the game is less "7 Days to Die" and more "Plenty of Time to Mess About With Construction While Being Inconvenienced by the Occasional Undead."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: July 27, 2017, 08:19:17 PM

Up until this build, I mostly played like that. A15 was my first serious attempt at a base that could survive horde nights and A16 is the first I not only didn't nerf hordes, but bumped them to max spawn size.

Last couple nights went on what was going to be a minibike ride to the trader but turned into a huge tour of the map, setting up caches of scavved stuff as I went. Unfortunately forgot my wrench and didn't find one, so I ended up back home with 6% gas (despite looting a gas station along the way!).
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: July 31, 2017, 09:57:27 AM

Day 28 horde ripped the shit out of my pit trap. Trying to get them to funnel into it was a pretty epic fail. Day 21 they bashed up the ramps pretty good, but day 28 they took out about the top 10 blocks of the shaft, and most of the ground around it, too. Seems like some radiated cop explosions, since I got three or four of them in the pit. Pit held up fine and no base penetration, but I'll need to build something new for day 35, for sure.

Luckily, I've been training some science skill and the traders got me a couple bits of electrical trap stuff to get started (a crap generator, a couple trip wires, some fence posts and relays). Also need to settle on a gun skill to work and build out ammo for it.

Also found a QL500ish engine for the scooter, holy crap that thing fliiiies. Like, literally, have to be wicked careful to not damage the crap out of it!
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: August 03, 2017, 06:48:04 PM

So mucking about I found what I thought to be someone's basement bomb shelter to actually be a fairly large underground facility. Cool, I thought, I might want to move down here and let the Hordes pass over.

Then I remembered that said Hordes can auto-detect you, and would likely make a bee-line to me by burrowing through the ground. I would probably last an hour, then there would literally be zombies raining down.

I understand what the mechanic is trying to simulate, but I really, really hate it.

Did I mention that the RNG is being really mean to me this play-through? I still haven't found the mini-bike. Hell I haven't found the spiked club schematic (which is okay, since I prefer the sledgehammer anyway).
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: August 03, 2017, 07:55:27 PM

You mean the mini bike book? The bike is just the frame, place it on the ground and add parts (after you have read the book). The new Crack-a-Book corporate tower is good for books, as is the day care center.

I'm stuck on design for a day 35 base. Don't quite have the resources for a decent build, but my current base won't survive another horde night, most likely. I've got some cool corridor style grinder ideas, but trying to funnel in the horde is rough. I actually tried a quick mockup in creative and the horde came from a different direction for the first time. Actually pretty clever, but kinda blew my hope that I could develop the north end of the defenses to handle most of it...
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: August 03, 2017, 08:13:46 PM

You mean the mini bike book? The bike is just the frame, place it on the ground and add parts (after you have read the book). The new Crack-a-Book corporate tower is good for books, as is the day care center.

As luck would have it, found the Mini-bikes for Dumbshits book as soon as I logged in after posting. And I need cotton for the damn seat. Sigh. Well, time for a hike into some biome other than arctic.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #202 on: August 04, 2017, 05:53:57 AM

Got my skymall platform forts set up, and decided to try crack-a-book (fun but a little crazy toward the top) the construction site (watching sleepers fall off was fun) and then tried the pharmaceutical building. Crazy hard when you get up to the lab area, lots of first aid packs looted, none left by the time I gave up. Feral radioactive cops are too tough.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: August 04, 2017, 06:56:14 AM

I just snagged a few choice items and got out of the pharma area. It got super hairy, zeds were taking themselves out on mines and they were banging on the walls everywhere. I apparently went up the back way and . bypassed a lot of the traps...but the sleepers were waking up like mad and setting them off. Nice, fun chaos. But it was my least thorough loot of any building thus far.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: 7 days to die (server)  
Jump to: