Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:01:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Internet Explorer is Dead - Long live Project SPARTAN... Spartan... its manly... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Internet Explorer is Dead - Long live Project SPARTAN... Spartan... its manly...  (Read 11274 times)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

on: March 19, 2015, 03:10:49 AM

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/17/8230631/microsoft-is-killing-off-the-internet-explorer-brand

While Microsoft has dropped hints that the Internet Explorer brand is going away, the software maker has now confirmed that it will use a new name for its upcoming browser successor, codenamed Project Spartan. Speaking at Microsoft Convergence yesterday, Microsoft's marketing chief Chris Capossela revealed that the company is currently working on a new name and brand. "We’re now researching what the new brand, or the new name, for our browser should be in Windows 10," said Capossela. "We’ll continue to have Internet Explorer, but we’ll also have a new browser called Project Spartan, which is codenamed Project Spartan. We have to name the thing."

Internet Explorer will still exist in some versions of Windows 10 mainly for enterprise compatibility, but the new Project Spartan will be named separately and will be the primary way for Windows 10 users to access the web. Microsoft has tried, unsuccessfully, to shake off the negative image of Internet Explorer over the past several years with a series of amusing campaigns mocking Internet Explorer 6. The ads didn't improve the situation, and Microsoft's former Internet Explorer chief left the company in December, signalling a new era for the browser.

"The Internet Explorer will likely have Microsoft in the name"

Capossela also detailed the power of using the Microsoft brand over just Windows or Internet Explorer, and showed off some research data on a new name for the company’s browser vs. Internet Explorer. Putting Microsoft in front of the new secret name increased the appeal to some Chrome users in the UK. "Just by putting the Microsoft name in front of it, the delta for Chrome users on appeal is incredibly high," says Capossela.

Microsoft is clearly testing names with market research, but it’s unclear when the company plans to unveil the final name for its Internet Explorer successor. Judging by Microsoft’s own research, it’s obvious the company will move as far away from Internet Explorer as possible, and it’s likely Project Spartan will have the Microsoft name attached to it.

Hic sunt dracones.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 10:54:02 AM

They could have fixed the whole thing if they had just unfucked Explorer years ago and adhered to the goddamn W3C standards like good little monkeys. By the time IE11 came out, nobody gave a shit because they'd already written the fucking browser off.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 12:10:28 PM

What no more IE?!?!

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 12:11:52 PM

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 12:18:29 PM

My first reaction was "is anyone going to be dumb enough to be fooled by a new name?"  But then I remembered that marketing people have jobs exactly because yes, most people are that dumb.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 12:21:47 PM

No, no, no... they're keeping IE, they're just making a NEW browser to go with it.  Clearly the new browser will be better - right?  ... Right?  ... ... Right?

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 12:55:41 PM

Have they said if they're using a new rendering engine? If so, cue another two decades of having to write web pages and apps twice, once the way that follows standards and once for the Microsoft Way (tm).

(incidentally, that's why Chrome used the much-maligned Webkit rendering engine--Google made a deliberate choice to use an existing rendering engine to avoid the IE problem. Of course, Apple has borked Webkit so badly that Chrome now uses a fork...)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 01:34:39 PM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 01:38:57 PM

I hope it's Webkit.  awesome, for real

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 02:40:40 PM

Not cool, man. Not cool.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 03:36:39 PM

Grats to all you who now have an additional incompatible rendering engine to test against.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 04:03:49 PM

IE will still be around but it will only get security/bug fixes and no new whiz bang features. It will also only be installed by default on Pro/Enterprise SKUs (but able to be added/removed in features). They are keeping it around so the eleventy billion active x business applications will still work.

(This is from what was said by the Microsoft engineer giving us the demo of Win10 the other day.)

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 06:41:45 PM

Grats to all you who now have an additional incompatible rendering engine to test against.

Yep. FML.  Mob

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 06:58:24 AM

Are they still using the name Cortana for their Siri clone?  These marketing people.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 08:26:07 AM

AKA job security.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #15 on: March 20, 2015, 08:36:53 AM

And the main reason web developers drink.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #16 on: March 20, 2015, 09:16:59 AM

And the main reason web developers drink.

Correlation does not prove causation!   why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 20, 2015, 09:18:52 AM

Are they still using the name Cortana for their Siri clone?  These marketing people.

Yes.

I don't get it either.

We have to do demos about a company called Contoso running Cortana.  Given what you know of my favourite swearword, you can imagine how many slips of the tongue I've made with them both.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 09:55:25 AM

Were they really slips though?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 20, 2015, 10:25:55 AM

That cunt Freud says there are no accidents.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #20 on: March 20, 2015, 11:17:42 AM

AKA job security.
It's not nearly as bad these days. All the major Web frameworks (jQuery, Bootstrap, etc.) come with browser compatibility stuff baked in. There will be a few months of confusion after the new browser comes out as people figure what needs to be added/changed in these frameworks but after that things will be fine. Those of you who have to support legacy sites that aren't using one or more of these frameworks have already been fucked for so long that supporting one more rendering engine isn't going to make much of a difference.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #21 on: March 20, 2015, 12:50:35 PM

Ah, good old Contoso.  Microsoft's example for just about everything.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 20, 2015, 05:23:43 PM

Yes.

I don't get it either.

We have to do demos about a company called Contoso running Cortana.  Given what you know of my favourite swearword, you can imagine how many slips of the tongue I've made with them both.

It's not just the name, they are using her voice and personality as well. A a giant Halo dork I find this fantastic and hope it works and sticks. It's like telling a Trekkie their phone will have the Enterprise computer in it. It's a marketing gimmick that's absolutely working on me.  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 20, 2015, 05:52:14 PM

I don't get it.  I've never played Halo.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 20, 2015, 06:31:37 PM

Cortana is an artificial intelligence from the Halo series. Similar to EDI from Mass Effect or GLaDOS.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 21, 2015, 05:07:14 AM

Its a blue naked woman you carry around inside your head and who talks to you all the time.

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 21, 2015, 07:17:20 AM

Cortana is an artificial intelligence from the Halo series. Similar to EDI from Mass Effect or GLaDOS.

Wow.  That makes me cringe now for all those demos I've done.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #27 on: March 21, 2015, 01:54:51 PM

I think the voice actress is different now. And considering how badly 343 has fucked the Halo franchise recently, the number of fanboys out there is getting smaller by the hour.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #28 on: March 21, 2015, 02:02:12 PM

I think the voice actress is different now. And considering how badly 343 has fucked the Halo franchise recently, the number of fanboys out there is getting smaller by the hour.

And concentrated - because the one rabid fan I know defends everything Halo, including Cortana and by extention, Microsoft and all its products... though that is probably a convergence of Xbox fanboism too.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 22, 2015, 01:22:54 AM

Jen Taylor still voices Cortana unless that changed incredibly recently.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 22, 2015, 08:20:26 AM

Does she have a hook, like being dangerously insane or a child learning to interact with the world who ultimately grows into a sexy robot body?

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: March 22, 2015, 12:46:53 PM

Bungie's AI's have a seven year shelf life before they lose their shit and start developing delusions of godhood before entering a catatonic state. They're personalities are all cloned copies of living people in the universe, so they come with a fully formed baseline that deviates depending on their intended job and life experiences. No sexy robot body, merely a sexy holographic body.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 22, 2015, 01:51:56 PM

... which you got to perv over before she got sucked into your head becasue reasons.

Hic sunt dracones.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: March 22, 2015, 05:01:35 PM

Pre-programmed shelf-life.  Sounds like a Microsoft product.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: March 22, 2015, 05:21:04 PM

It isn't pre-programmed, it's a limitation of the technology in universe.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Internet Explorer is Dead - Long live Project SPARTAN... Spartan... its manly...  
Jump to: