Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:05:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: The Horus Heresy: Drop Assault (iOS and now 'droid) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Horus Heresy: Drop Assault (iOS and now 'droid)  (Read 8226 times)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

on: March 17, 2015, 02:56:01 PM

http://dropassault.com/

So I may have found my CoC replacement.  This is essentially CoC reskinned into WH40K (which is enough for me), but with a couple of fairly substantial differences.
-Faction-based (Horus vs. Emperor)
-"Classes" within factions that emphasize certain strat/abiltities
-Troops may be guided if you've got the tactical points
-Combat Ability Energy is an interesting resource; forces you to be smart, quick, and frugal with your decisions.
-Smaller squad-sized engagements (at least in the beginning) with more of an emphasis on powers.
-Your main-base has a variable turret limit (turret points), depending on type - so your defensive strat can change pretty drastically.
-Much of the offline resource gathering depends on territory gained in PvE/P.
-You can craft gear and magicks with relics you find on the map.
-Squad size and type is fairly malleable depending on "barracks" level.  Less swarm tactics.
-RMT seems pretty minimal with a good amount of rewards coming fairly quickly, so buying more TechMarines is pretty easy.
-There is a Live Skirmish mode that apparently offers more apparent tactical choice. (havent tried it yet)
-Yes, there are clans (not sure if territory is relevant here)

I'm only into 1 night but I like it.  It obviously oozes theme, moreso than CoC, and especially games like Boom Beach.  The lore is well-integrated as well.  I dont have much more info. than that, especially on the Clan front.  But it's a fairly well developed game for mobile.  Sadly, it's a hefty DL/update too +100mb.

My faction:  Emperor.
I may start a BC clan once my HQ is high enough.  I'm gonna assume alot of folk on here are gonna try this just 'cause WH.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 09:01:20 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 03:16:44 PM

Do you buy tactical points with cash?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 06:31:49 PM

I downloaded and installed this (Nexus 4) but it gets stuck at 0.0% on the loading screen and nothing happens until the screen times out...

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 07:23:43 PM

You get a certain amount of tac points before every battle.  More can be gained during the battle by achieving/destroying objectives, powers, and so forth.  As for buying more with cash, there might be a RMT in there for that but I haven't seen it.  Pretty cockstabby if so.

I tried Live Skirmish; it's essentially realtime pvp laddermatch towards an objective (fighting over turf). You may have to hold a point, destroy everything etc.  Winner gets the turf, relics, whatever.  You're given more tactical options in this mode and the rewards are higher.  Relics are pretty huge in the game so finding them and building gear is big.

The other mode is your standard attack-their-base for loots routine (like in CoC), but since you're all fighting over the same PvE resource points - these battles have more meaning.  You don't want guys moving in on your nodes.

I downloaded and installed this (Nexus 4) but it gets stuck at 0.0% on the loading screen and nothing happens until the screen times out...

Game is likely getting hammered.  I had similar issues, but it worked itself out with some restarts.   Sometimes just backing out helps.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 07:55:53 PM

You get a certain amount of tac points before every battle.  More can be gained during the battle by achieving/destroying objectives, powers, and so forth.  As for buying more with cash, there might be a RMT in there for that but I haven't seen it.  Pretty cockstabby if so.

Whenever I read a description of a game now I always think "what's the most cockstabby twist they could put on that?" and then make sure it's not hiding somewhere.   awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 09:07:45 PM

You get a certain amount of tac points before every battle.  More can be gained during the battle by achieving/destroying objectives, powers, and so forth.  As for buying more with cash, there might be a RMT in there for that but I haven't seen it.  Pretty cockstabby if so.

Whenever I read a description of a game now I always think "what's the most cockstabby twist they could put on that?" and then make sure it's not hiding somewhere.   awesome, for real

Meh.  My damned jargon was off (typical n the WH 'verse).  Turret Points are what's used to lay defensive turrets.  That's fixed, but grows with level - can't be increased with RMT.  Combat Ability Energy (what I call munitions or tactical points) is what you get during a battle for abilities and beacons.    Also cant increase with RMT.  You can only get it back by blowing up shit.  So far, I've had more than enough to do what I want as long as my plan isnt clownshoes.

The cockstabbery you speak of is why I chose the Sons of Horus legion; they get an extra 10% energy for combat abilities.  awesome, for real   More lategame relevant, but one last orbital strike makes all the difference sometimes.

So yah, so far the only RMT I can find is for spirit... which is only used to buy more TechMarines or finish stuff early.

edit:
I'm ingame as "Ghambit."  Should have chapter availability by tomorrow I think.

edit2:
There is also a trade mechanism in the game for crafted relics.  This is where the chapters make the most sense obviously.  Outgrow one, give it to someone else.  So far I'm only seeing one relic activatable at a time btw; so choose wisely in use.  Recon is free, so that pretty much means always do it and set your relics accordingly.  When you log, switch to defensive.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 01:42:39 PM by Ghambit »

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 09:44:49 AM

I'm in as hgmvhf.  This game does have some bugs.

Like, when the tutorial forces you to instantly upgrade your rally point for 7 gems, and you give it the finger and relog instead.  You break the tutorial so it's stuck and the victory screen doesn't show up anymore after fights.  :/

Also, why does it have to be an exact copy of boom beach?  I only lasted maybe a month before I got sick of that one, we'll see if this one does better.

E2A:  Don't assume you can connect to facebook and reinstall to try to fix a bug or something, it doesn't save your progress that way.  I lost a day.

Why don't you try our other games?
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 03:35:59 PM

Like, when the tutorial forces you to instantly upgrade your rally point for 7 gems, and you give it the finger and relog instead.  You break the tutorial so it's stuck and the victory screen doesn't show up anymore after fights.  :/

Having the same problem myself, except I thought I was following the tutorial breadcrumbs.  At least, up until it tried to push me to PvP (I think?) and as step one had me "recon" the arena at which point I was treated to a view of the battleground with nothing to do and no way to exit.
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 06:39:07 AM

Yup me too.  Good news is it fixed itself soon after with, i think, a chapter hq upgrade.

Also i cant find a Bat Country cult.  Gonna make one.

... As soon as i get the 25k metal it costs
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 06:44:53 AM by grebo »

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 10:41:38 AM

Cult created.  Search seems to be case sensitive for some who the fuck knows why reason.  Bat Country naturally.  Invite only, and i have no clue if you folks can request to join.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 01:08:24 PM

I honestly was in a chapter called "cuddly bears."  I'll join BC then.  Just found out that friends only work through fb (that's a big fail right there).  So the only contact we can really have is through the chapter.  Kinda makes sense for pvp I guess, but it's a bitch for finding people.  Game definitely is buggy; and works likely better on a tablet.  I'm gonna keep giving it a whirl though.

Pressing the 'join' button actually requests to join.  So like, I've requested.  I advise making it 'anyone can join' and just booting if u can. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 01:12:48 PM by Ghambit »

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 02:59:58 PM

crafting edit:
Relics are traded in for shards, not to other chapter members.  hmmm.  The apparent clan interaction is low thus far.  Word is, this will change as the game grows - but for now, lacking.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 09:45:05 PM

Yeah, it's very much a Boom Beach Clone, which has actually been helpful because it's not actually that clear what everything does but being identical down to the UI layout means I can just assume it's roughly the same thing. The graphics are a bit low-res maybe? Lacking somehow anyway. It's also pretty buggy, for some reason now entering attacks or scouts, I don't get any option to exit or complete and need to quit the game and restart. It doesn't actually stop anything but it's a bit frustrating.

The 30K stuff might be enough to keep me playing it for a bit but it really needs some bug fixes and could do with a graphical/UI overhaul to make things a bit clearer. Small things like the making the ruins a noticeably different colour to the area around them in your base would be a start. It's definitely nowhere near as polished as Supercell's stuff.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 01:02:42 PM

My new relic gives +15% troop damage output and +20% energy gains.  It's pretty fancy.

2 workers now, the third costs 1000, fyi.

Also helping is the 2 players I beat up that both had over 40k energy for me to steal.  I'm just gonna upgrade my town hall till I can make a tank.  I can make jet bike things but I didn't bother yet.

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 03:58:56 PM

Am I the only one left? 

This game does get better once you get further in.  I'm TH11 and have the first tank, next level is the walking death machine.  Tanks are ranged and have armor (shocking I know) so they are a big help clearing bases without taking losses.  You have to keep them away from the lascannons though.  I raid with 6 tanks/6 of the walking claw dudes which is pretty easy to get to.

There's skirmish mode which is a live 1v1 that I totally suck at, but it's fun and something different.

The ability to choose what turrets you use in your base means you can custom make your defense to defend against certain attack types, it's rock/paper/scissors - ey sure but a nice feature.

The Relic stuff is fairly nice, you can get some good ones and they help a lot.  I get +50% power from raids which makes leveling stuff easier.

When raiding you don't lose your troops so can sweep the map if you're good/lucky enough and get enough resources to buy an upgrade.  It's easier than CoC with attack/get stomped/attack/get stomped and don't get anywhere..

At first the progression was very fast with just leveling the TH as fast as possible but now I'm to the point where I have to start leveling up all those turrets so it's slowing down.  Still a lot faster that CoC tho.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 03, 2015, 09:12:26 AM

I never managed to get the game to work soooo

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 10:55:45 AM

Grebo, I'm still playing.  Indeed, it does get better as time goes on it seems.  I still like the game, probably because BoomBeach to me was fairly bland thematically (which is what drove me away from it).  This game does not suffer that.  The bugs are lessening and the servers are more responsive, but it does feel like a title that was rushed out the door.  I'm gonna stick around I think.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: The Horus Heresy: Drop Assault (iOS and now 'droid)  
Jump to: