Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:00:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Powers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Powers  (Read 1932 times)
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

on: March 13, 2015, 12:36:24 PM

Playstation Network show.

I just watched the first episode.  It's about a police department chasing bad guys with powers but actually entertaining.  And it has everyone's favorite south african.

Also, people with out powers can get a temporary power by...swallowing.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 01:17:59 PM

Yeah, that's pretty true to the comic.

I think it's pretty wise to dump the whole elaborate mythology that Bendis established in the original series. It got pretty unwieldy pretty quickly, when the basic core of the comic is:

Police procedural in a comic-book world, where comic-book superheroes act like celebrities in our culture act, and to include all the adult material that both police procedurals and celebrity culture imply.

First episode does a fair job (though noticeably on the cheap) at following that premise.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 02:43:50 PM

Tried watching the first episode last night but it just felt cheap and poorly written to me.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 03:33:24 PM

I'd been seeing Youtube ads and hadn't realized it was based on the Bendis series. That's a... hard sell.

World design is tough, and this setting has mutually contradictory source material:

Police procedurals depend on consistent rules, both in terms of the courthouse law and common physics.
Superhero comics depend on consistent insanity and unreality keeping our suspension of disbelief in neutral.

Bendis' writing - on yet a third hand - tends to bluff past any problems in his story by having strong personalities in human conflict talk about it in serious tones for several pages until you're so distracted that another crazy thing can happen.

In the Powers comics this kind of works... for the first few arcs. Then the sheer weight of stupid, ill-considered background details crashes across it like a tsunami and no amount of snappy backchat saves us from how no detective could possibly function in a world where reality is as flexible as it has to be to make the superpowers work. Bendis just hasn't got the world design chops for the challenge, and I somehow doubt Playstation Network's goons are going to do any better.

Is there room for it to be enjoyable stupid? Sure. Is that what Bendis wanted to do, like, ever? Nope. Is that what the Youtube ads are aiming for? Definitely not.

I love what Powers (the comic) wants to be, even as I'm frustrated by what it actually manages. I'll try to watch a few episodes of the series if I can figure out how to access them.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 07:22:13 PM

Yeah, Powers only worked for, I dunno, a few arcs. Then the Deena Pilgrim shit on one hand started to weigh it down and the Christian-is-immortal and then he's Green Lantern just burned it all up.

You can only have cops chasing superheroes if you really establish some strong rules about why that's not flat-out stupid. If you're going to go full superhero-crazy with it, you have to do something more like Top Ten. (Which would make a great adult-audience animated series if the rights are available.)
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 08:16:53 PM

Exactly. Either embrace the comics madness like Top Ten or create a narrow, logical, coherent superpower "science" in order to focus on the police work like... uh...

Hm.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 09:50:15 PM

I haven't read Powers, but I'm not surprised it starts off well before turning to shit. Bendis really hates the concept of super heroes as a whole and should not be writing them, except they are what makes the money in comics (and these days gets you movie work).

schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 11:21:09 PM

And it has everyone's favorite south african.

Chiwetel Ejiofor is British, you racist.

I have not seen this show.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 04:13:33 AM

undecided
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 04:31:06 AM

Oooo, does he make anyone fall on their sword ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 10:23:20 AM

I don't even know if he's on the show.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 10:27:24 AM

awesome, for real

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Powers  
Jump to: