Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:40:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cash for Gold! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cash for Gold!  (Read 34050 times)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

on: March 02, 2015, 11:29:55 AM

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 11:37:14 AM

They're just legitimizing something that I've seen players doing since I came back. Right now it's easy to scam people by selling game-time cards for gold, and several folks have been burned buying already-used codes.  This is Blizzard trying to knock that shit off while still letting high-gold players buy game time and getting a cut of the loot.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 12:23:40 PM

I await to see how much gold these are going for.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 02:32:30 PM

Annnnnd, there it goes.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 03:04:17 PM

It went years ago. This is just the last bits of the veneer crumbling away.

People got 401ks to manage, man. You understand this!

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 03:40:48 PM

Technically it's not a gold sink, because no 'gold' leaves the system, it just swaps from one player to another. It's pretty much the same as the Eve Online "plex", as described (except for the 'soulbinding' on auction purchase, you can pass Plex on after you buy them in Eve).

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 04:33:40 PM

Finally. Just coming back to the game and I wanted to level an all but the amount of gold for heirlooms and upgrades and flying training is alot. I'd rather throw a few bucks at the game for 30k gold and be done with it.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 10:45:07 PM

You make all that gold just by leveling or within a week of hitting cap. It's just going the way of EvE/GW2/Wildstar et al because the cow needs milking.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 06:05:07 AM

I can't wait for their Q1 report. The stock is riding such a bubble right now.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 09:15:29 AM

That'll be next month, right?

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 10:56:10 AM

You make all that gold just by leveling or within a week of hitting cap. It's just going the way of EvE/GW2/Wildstar et al because the cow needs milking.

Sure if you play a shit load of time.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 11:27:10 AM

That'll be next month, right?

Usually the announcements of the quarter and the full earnings come about a month after quarter end. So April.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 12:29:38 PM

Sure if you play a shit load of time.

Log in, cycle through alts for missions, open salvage boxes, vendor salvage, log out.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 08:51:11 AM

I think my 3 100s earned something like 15k each by leveling 90-100 from questing/killing silver frames.

I haven't kept track of what they've earned since, but once a garrison is built up, it's a money factory for sure.

I don't know how to make money off the auction house anymore. I think time is better spent running content now in terms of money (unless it's content where you're dying, which costs you). Old raids are particularly lucrative.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 09:08:13 AM

Technically it's not a gold sink, because no 'gold' leaves the system, it just swaps from one player to another.

Not only is it not a gold sink, I suspect it will have the opposite effect. I predict inflation of WoW currency, as those who work for a living will trade their hard-earned cash for these tokens in great number. People who would not risk going to a gold seller before because it was too risky.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 09:57:06 AM

I think my 3 100s earned something like 15k each by leveling 90-100 from questing/killing silver frames.

I haven't kept track of what they've earned since, but once a garrison is built up, it's a money factory for sure.

I don't know how to make money off the auction house anymore. I think time is better spent running content now in terms of money (unless it's content where you're dying, which costs you). Old raids are particularly lucrative.

To expand on this: I earn 4-600g a day on alts that I only login to once. This happens via missions and salvage. If I'm lucky then a current-content purple drops and that means big money. That's happened twice and they sold at a 'low' price of 15 and 25k each. 

I have bought the "architect" title by purchasing 40 plans on 2 characters and purchasing heirloom upgrades for 60-90 and 90-100 on about 20 pieces, in addition to the heirlooms I missed (all Pants, & necklaces and 1/2 the helms).   I still have 205k gold despite this extravagance.

As for the AH, you had to do what several folks on my server were doing.  Prior to this last patch they were spamming "send me all your ore COD. I will pay 80g per stack of 200!"  The market at that time was ~60g per stack.  Now that supplies have dried-up on the garrison side they're reselling for 200+g a stack and buying-up people listed below them.

I'm finding that old enchanting mats are selling once again. I can also make a decent amount with a real enchanter character because the purple mats for current x-pac don't come as often on the building.  Also the high-end weapon enchants aren't available through the building, only through the players.

Technically it's not a gold sink, because no 'gold' leaves the system, it just swaps from one player to another.

Not only is it not a gold sink, I suspect it will have the opposite effect. I predict inflation of WoW currency, as those who work for a living will trade their hard-earned cash for these tokens in great number. People who would not risk going to a gold seller before because it was too risky.

It's definitely going to be inflationary. The question is how much so.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 02:55:48 PM

You can sell your ore to the ore trader for primals and then trade primals for blood. Probably pays better.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 12:02:22 AM

Anybody  got a good  method of figuring out what to charge if you want to  sell the crafted upgrade kits on a "your Elements / Bloods, my Crafted Reagent" basis?  I have a shitton of Taladite Crystals / Burnished leather / Hexweave cloth, but I am unsure about how to set a market value on the crafted stuff.

Since most of the cooldown reagents (fur, leather, ore) go for around 1g or a bit more per on my server, and eacch work order needs 5 I was figuring just charging 10g x cooldown mat plus a bit of markup for the cooldown (Ie, if it takes 200 Taladite Crystals, then charge around 2.2k or so)  And yea, i know you get 2x mats with a follower in the building, but I consider that a bonus to me, i dont factor that into it.)

Yet value can fluxuate a lot from item to item.   For example, Hexweave bags currently list on the AH For between 2.4 to 3k on my server.  With Sorc Earth going for about 40g a pop, that puts the individual hexweave at roughly 20g per.

Just wondering how some of you guys price that stuff?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 06:10:57 AM by SurfD »

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 07:14:08 AM

I don't think it works quite that way. Hexweave bags are priced what they are because of the cost of the next smaller sized bag, Royal Satchels, which are priced just under hexweave. At least it seems so to me. And I don't think people will pay for first tier tailored gear, second tier maybe? third is probably too expensive for the average WoW player due to the bloods.

I don't know, I'm totally guessing.

I suspect the price of savage bloods will drop really soon (although I'm still surprised it's as high as it is).

Alchemy catalysts sell directly on the AH (as far as I know, it's the only crafting reagent that does in WoD). Flask prices are all over the place.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 08:58:52 AM

People on WoW forums are complaining that TBC and WOTLK quests are no longer rewarding gold, and that missions/crates were nerfed in 6.1, and that it's all part of a grand conspiracy to lower the amount of player resources gained by questing so force players to buy the new tokens. Other people are responding that it must be a bug.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 09:26:46 AM

People on WoW forums are complaining that TBC and WOTLK quests are no longer rewarding gold, and that missions/crates were nerfed in 6.1, and that it's all part of a grand conspiracy to lower the amount of player resources gained by questing so force players to buy the new tokens. Other people are responding that it must be a bug.

Sounds fishy.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 01:53:50 PM

I'd suspect that if Cata/ Pandaria quests are still giving gold then it's a bug, or they're looking to expand the free trial to BC & WOTLK instead of just the first 20 levels.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 07, 2015, 11:05:09 AM

I am  still getting a metric crap ton of stuff out off my mission crates, so I have no  idea what they are talking about.  Every day i end up with half a dozen blue soulbound level 100 blue items, half a dozen assorted BoE blues from other expantions, and like 50 - 60 junk vendor greens (as well as at least 200g in grey vendor trash).  And that is just off of 3 toons who roll missions when  i  have the chance to cycle through them.

No idea about the TBC / Wolk quests tho,  that definately sounds like a bug, as quests have pretty much ALWAYS given you at least a small amount of gold.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: April 06, 2015, 06:55:11 PM

Wow Tokens go on sale tomorrow 4/7/15 for 30,000 gold or $20 (US) from the shop.

http://www.wowhead.com/news=246971/wow-token-live-april-7th-guide-to-obtaining-and-selling-the-wow-token
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: April 06, 2015, 07:31:54 PM

At least now I'll be able to come back whenever they patch flying back in.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 07, 2015, 03:30:49 PM

On Korgath, the price opened at 30,000g and it is now at 31,218g four hours later. Predictions on it going up or down in a month?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #26 on: April 07, 2015, 08:08:55 PM

Hard to say especially given that Blizzard is effectively setting the price.

On TERA when they had this the price did eventually stabilize (fluctuated within a small range) though I don't know if it was higher or lower than the initial recommended price cause I started playing relatively late during the subscription-era and also players set the sell price themselves.

Edit: hard
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 10:58:13 AM by Trippy »
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #27 on: April 08, 2015, 06:21:04 AM

It'll skyrocket. Unless I'm misunderstanding this, it's just passing the gold around, not sinking it.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #28 on: April 08, 2015, 08:37:07 AM

There are gold sinks the game like the AH.

Edit: apparently down around 25% now so supply is currently outstripping demand.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 10:57:34 AM by Trippy »
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #29 on: April 08, 2015, 11:06:49 AM

Yeah they dropped to around 27,000 last night around 6pm PST when everyone on the West Coast got home from work.  They'd been at 31,000 before that.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: April 08, 2015, 11:42:49 AM

I wonder how many AH moguls (and such) have spent a chunk of their gold on several years' worth of tokens. I also wonder whether they will still think buying that many tokens was a good idea during Content Drought #235897.  awesome, for real

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: April 08, 2015, 01:59:27 PM

It'll skyrocket. Unless I'm misunderstanding this, it's just passing the gold around, not sinking it.

It has the potential to do both.

If I sell a token for 30k gold, I will get 30k gold.  But if no one buys it for 30k gold but they instead buy it for 40k gold due to rise in demand, the 10k gold gets lost.  If the price goes down to 20k gold when someone buys it due to not much demand, 10k gold is created.

At least from my understanding.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #32 on: April 08, 2015, 02:15:08 PM

The price will eventually match whatever the average gold seller price equivalent of $20 is.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #33 on: April 08, 2015, 02:20:30 PM

I'm not sure, I watched the market implode with D3, how is this different?

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 08, 2015, 02:39:30 PM

I expect that there will be some kind of floor built into their pricing algorithm.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cash for Gold!  
Jump to: