Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:55:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: POWER/RANGERS 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: POWER/RANGERS  (Read 13187 times)
schild
Administrator

on: February 24, 2015, 12:44:45 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw5vcUPyL90

This desperately needs to be a thing.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 01:57:33 PM

I fucking hate Power Rangers... but goddamn. That needs to be a thing yesterday. That was better than anything the Waschowskis have done since the Matrix 1, or most of Hollywood for that matter.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 02:00:19 PM

Whoa.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 02:38:27 PM

Look for the NSFW version. It used to be up at Vimeo.

I have never played WoW.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 02:43:13 PM

That seemed pretty unsafe for work to me.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 03:39:04 PM

NSFW is less safe. Vanderfivehead helped write it, apparently.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 04:33:59 PM

Can't find the even more NSFW version, but the regular version is still amazing and needs to be a full movie asap. Holy shitballs
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 05:13:14 PM

Am I the only one who was thinking... is that James Van Der Beek?  Yeah, it was James Van Der Beek.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 06:09:10 PM

Made me wish i had ever watched power rangers so i knew wtf was going on.

I am the .00000001428%
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 06:31:54 PM

Have a son. You'll get to watch all 22 seasons some month and a half.  awesome, for real

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 08:27:20 PM

Well that was Van der Dark.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 08:33:27 PM

I watched maybe half an episode of power rangers, you don't need to watch much to get the gist.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 03:11:26 AM

Unfortunately the guy isn't interested in a longer movie even if they handed him 100 mill to do it.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 03:58:04 AM by MediumHigh »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 03:45:30 AM

Why would they hand it to you ?

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 03:58:42 AM

Why would they hand it to you ?

Auto-correct its a hell of a drug.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 04:07:11 AM

Hey, just while we're here :  Can anyone tell me what or who the fuck the Power Rangers were actually fighting against ?

I never really understood that from the seizure inducing minutes that I watched of the original show.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 04:15:25 AM

Am I going to be the only one to point out that was really crap?
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 04:20:54 AM

Hey, just while we're here :  Can anyone tell me what or who the fuck the Power Rangers were actually fighting against ?

It changed quite a bit over the years, as there was over 20 odd seasons of the thing. The one shown in the film was the first villian of the series, Rita Repulsa.

http://powerrangers.wikia.com/wiki/Rita_Repulsa

Rita Repulsa was a female humanoid sorceress bent on intergalactic domination. Having conquered many worlds in the service of Lord Zedd, Rita was defeated by Zordon of Eltar during her failed invasion of Earth. Imprisoned in a space dumpster by the sage, Rita was cast into space where she would float for ten thousand years before arcing back to the moon. Once freed, she and her minions reclaimed their headquarters and started a second campaign on Earth to defeat Zordon and take the planet for Lord Zedd.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 04:23:03 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 04:21:38 AM

A Space Dumpster.

ok.

Forget I asked.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 04:25:54 AM

Be thankful I only quoted the first paragraph.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Hic sunt dracones.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 25, 2015, 04:31:30 AM

Am I going to be the only one to point out that was really crap?

An oasis appears in the desert!

Seriously...they took Power Rangers, stripped out everything about Power Rangers that is fun and endearing and replaced it with generic grimdark shit.

This is exactly like how DC approaches their properties - with embarrassment for the source material. The people who are like "this needs to be a real move" - let's just say our tastes differ!

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 25, 2015, 04:37:54 AM

I thought it was ok for what it was. I Think the beginning parts where they were running about facing a huge invasion of badness was what a power reanger movie really should go for, but the rest was kung fu crap. I thought it WAS very nicely done and very well acted by everyone involved, but I would have no intention of going to see something like that.

I think something that had the charm of the TV series and its toung jammed firmly in its cheek mixed with a little more of the grit would do very well and be very enjoyable to watch, but this thing would be a "Hitman" style forgettable movie.

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: February 25, 2015, 04:54:18 AM

I think that was pretty much the point Margalis.  The Director dude even said so.

It was funny.  I laughed.  It took a really stupid kids show where there's never any danger and applied some reality to it. 

I think you either missed the point a little or didn't care for the point.  I'm really, really not sure you're meant to take it that seriously.

For Fucks Sake, it had Starbuck and Mr 90210 in it. 

And don't even be comparing it to DC who do that shit without any irony whatsoever...

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 05:05:06 AM

I liked it because its dystopian view of the power rangers. Sure it "could" have fun with the property but I was a kid when I watched the power rangers. Barely able to color within the lines and there's a reason why most people who watched it as kids promptly dropped it after they turned 10-11 years old (while continuing to watch anime, western cartoons like batman and jlu, etc). Besides I saw the potential for a lot of subjects that I don't find preachy, which is rare in my syfi.

My only complaint is that this type of work tends to go the easy way and kill everybody. I'm afraid that if made longer the movie wouldn't have much room to showcase the adult version of said characters or even have them live long enough for additional stories. Which is a complaint the director of this short kinda sorta touched, he doesn't feel like he has the creative juice to extend this past 14 minutes because it may ultimately go nowhere.

Also the comparison to DC isn't apt. You can make something "darker" as long as your not
A. Coming from the perspective of someone who doesn't like the source material
B. Coming from the perspective of someone who doesn't like the genre
C. Coming from the perspective of someone who given a mandate to imitate another properties success
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 25, 2015, 05:21:16 AM

It took a really stupid kids show where there's never any danger and applied some reality to it. 

That's certainly an opinion.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 25, 2015, 05:41:37 AM

What, you're gonna argue they spoiled the high art that was Power Rangers with a short film ?

Hey, you know more than me about it, so I'll take your word for it.  Seriously.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #26 on: February 25, 2015, 06:04:37 AM

It's a neat idea that's fun to watch for just about 15 minutes because nobody (likely including the people who made it) actually gives enough of a shit about Power Rangers lore to want to see it extended any longer than that.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 25, 2015, 06:27:39 AM

What, you're gonna argue they spoiled the high art that was Power Rangers with a short film ?

I'm saying that what they did is the equivalent of making a grimdark version of Scooby Doo.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: February 25, 2015, 06:42:28 AM

I'm saying that what they did is the equivalent of making a grimdark version of Scooby Doo.
I really don't think that would be a bad thing.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: February 25, 2015, 06:47:17 AM

Watched the whole thing and don't get the appeal.  This brought me to two conclusions:

1) Anyone younger than me is fascinated by gratuitous gore and violence more than they ought to be.

2) I'm old. 

My son adored the Power Rangers and I didn't get that either.  All it did was make him want to kick EVERYTHING or hit it with a plastic sword.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: February 25, 2015, 06:52:14 AM

That whole interrogation scene was beyond cringeawful.

Why would anyone want to watch the sparkly twilight boys club kill each other?  Oh wait.. Never mind.

But you still can't call it good unless there is something actually good in it.

Why don't you try our other games?
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 25, 2015, 07:02:17 AM

Watched the whole thing and don't get the appeal.  This brought me to two conclusions:

1) Anyone younger than me is fascinated by gratuitous gore and violence more than they ought to be.

Aren't you the generation that invented the blood squibs? Rambo? Terminator? Robocop? Nightmare on elm street, Jason, Halloween, Evil Dead, Arnold Schwarzenegger? Am I missing anything?
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: February 25, 2015, 07:07:24 AM

My son adored the Power Rangers and I didn't get that either.  All it did was make him want to kick EVERYTHING or hit it with a plastic sword.

It has a catchy theme song, colorful villains and they form a huge robot. What else do you need? Also the black ranger was basically Protoman.

Quote from: MH
I really don't think that would be a bad thing.

I suspect that imagining that in your head is more satisfying than how it would play out on film. It's a one-joke premise. Maybe it could work as 10 minute Adult Swim short.

Quote from: MH
Aren't you the generation that invented the blood squibs? Rambo? Terminator? Robocop? Nightmare on elm street, Jason, Halloween, Evil Dead, Arnold Schwarzenegger? Am I missing anything?

These are all good things though. (Well - except for Friday the 13th) I'll gladly go to bat for the insane violence in Robocop because Robocop is a good movie. I'm no prude - I love violence if the violence serves any kind of point and doesn't exist purely for it's own sake. And even then I'm down if it's just so outrageous that that becomes the point.

But this was none of those things.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: February 25, 2015, 07:16:45 AM

Apparently the original green ranger agrees with you.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 25, 2015, 07:24:06 AM

Its also probably better the LESS you know about the original lore

I mean "Machine Empire" I mean, fuck, that sounds awsome its like massive computers and Skynet robots and Terminators and...

Um... nevermind.  why so serious?

To be honest shorts like this are like short stories. They set up things in your head about the before and after scenarios that are probably better than any film would convey. So, enjoy that.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 07:29:59 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: POWER/RANGERS  
Jump to: