Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:16:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Opening a bank account in the USA. Have to. Like tomorrow. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Opening a bank account in the USA. Have to. Like tomorrow.  (Read 12531 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: February 20, 2015, 02:39:36 PM

*leans in*

Are you?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: February 20, 2015, 02:40:21 PM

It's crazy that she thought anyone would answer either of those questions honestly.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #37 on: February 20, 2015, 02:43:27 PM

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: February 20, 2015, 02:52:29 PM

When I applied for a mortgage the broker asked me in complete seriousness if I was an illegal alien.

It's the dark Mexican skin you have, right ?

swamp poop

I'm sure it was a little of that (pinche gringas, amirite?) but mostly my complete lack of credit history, coupled with having a more sizable down payment than most first-time buyers and apparently having all the rest of my paperwork in order.  It just didn't add up for her.  She also asked (lowering her voice) if I was involved in some kind of organized crime.  Seriously.

Umm.  They do have requirements to ask about your citizenship and (I think) if you are going to use the account for proceeds from illegal activities.  I have to regularly ask odd questions like this when doing taxes or audits, or filing certain forms.  For instance, some variation of "are you aware of fraud or any other illegal activities" or "are the proceeds from you tax refund going to a foreign financial account".

This sounds like a bank rep tried to get cutesy with questions she is required to ask you, and you taking it the wrong way.  Not being there, it sounds like she didn't like having to ask the questions and tried to make fun of them, but it came off like she's a wakjob.
Zephyr
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: February 20, 2015, 03:18:57 PM

We use First Bank in Colorado and it has a free checking account with no minimum balance.  They have been pretty good for us over the last few years and are pretty ubiquitous around the state.  A lot of people at work like Elevations Credit Union and looks like they have a free checking option as well.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #40 on: February 20, 2015, 03:28:43 PM

This sounds like a bank rep tried to get cutesy with questions she is required to ask you, and you taking it the wrong way.  Not being there, it sounds like she didn't like having to ask the questions and tried to make fun of them, but it came off like she's a wakjob.

She said that she asked specifically because she'd never seen heard of someone come in for a home loan and have zero credit before unless they were deliberately staying off the grid (i.e. undocumented immigrant or a drug dealer).

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #41 on: February 20, 2015, 03:53:25 PM

Also, if you want to get advanced, get a credit card with cash back and pay it off every month. You can actually make money using one if you are disciplined.

I finally started doing this just to make sure I'd have robust credit for future refinancing adventures.  I got the card through my bank, and set it up so that the credit card bill gets paid straight from my checking account each month; then I put all my auto-payable bills on the credit card.  Presto, automatic credit machine!

Love Letters

Thank you, sir. I can now advise clients to do this shit after a bankruptcy (they ALWAYS give you credit cards, shitty one but whatever, after a Ch 7 because you can't refile for years.)

That's like the slacker's credit builder. It's the flex belt of the credit score world.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #42 on: February 20, 2015, 08:17:11 PM

*leans in*

Are you?

Follow up, what are you offering?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: February 21, 2015, 06:00:02 AM

Only advice I'd give is that go through a local credit union rather than one of the big national banks.

My local credit union offers a free checking account, gives you the first box of checks free, gives you a debit card that can also be used without the pin via credit card things in stores (that's the technical term, I'm sure - although on a more serious note I - like several others mentioned - never use this card online).  They have no minimum balance requirement for checking.  I also have a savings account with them has the literal only "drawback" of a 5 dollar minimum balance.

When I moved here I had the whole thing set up in a couple days.  Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: February 21, 2015, 06:58:52 AM

*leans in*

Are you?

Follow up, what are you offering?
An offer you can't refuse.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: February 22, 2015, 07:21:01 AM

When I applied for a mortgage the broker asked me in complete seriousness if I was an illegal alien.

swamp poop

I'm sure it was a little of that (pinche gringas, amirite?) but mostly my complete lack of credit history, coupled with having a more sizable down payment than most first-time buyers and apparently having all the rest of my paperwork in order.  It just didn't add up for her.  She also asked (lowering her voice) if I was involved in some kind of organized crime.  Seriously.

Us white people never have this much fun. When the wife and I bought a house, the loan officer just said we were their kind of people because of how often I went to the liquor store. Was pretty fucking creepy.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 07:24:49 AM by Draegan »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #46 on: February 22, 2015, 04:33:29 PM

On the other hand, even though they have recently stopped harassing me when I walk INTO the United States (I guess they really know everything about me by now), this is the third time in a row that on my way out they swipe my hands for, I presume, drugs. Must be so disappointing for them every time, since I so look the part.

Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: February 22, 2015, 05:18:00 PM

it's actually the precursors or ingredients to explosives that they're swabbing for.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #48 on: February 22, 2015, 06:33:30 PM

swamp poop

I'm sure it was a little of that (pinche gringas, amirite?) but mostly my complete lack of credit history, coupled with having a more sizable down payment than most first-time buyers and apparently having all the rest of my paperwork in order.  It just didn't add up for her.  She also asked (lowering her voice) if I was involved in some kind of organized crime.  Seriously.

Us white people never have this much fun. When the wife and I bought a house, the loan officer just said we were their kind of people because of how often I went to the liquor store. Was pretty fucking creepy.

The really fun part is that Sam is pretty white. Maybe they confuse him with light-skinned Latinos in SF, but around here the assumption would be he was German or Italian.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #49 on: February 22, 2015, 07:18:29 PM

Yeah, I do have more than a little Latino ancestry but you would never ever guess it by looking at me or my last name.  I'm not sure what sort of illegal the mortgage broker thought I was; probably Russian or Canadian.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #50 on: February 22, 2015, 09:10:20 PM

They thought you were a maple smuggler?  why so serious?

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: February 23, 2015, 08:53:44 AM

it's actually the precursors or ingredients to explosives that they're swabbing for.

ACK!

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: February 23, 2015, 09:15:13 AM

ACK!

So the good news is that they don't prejudge you to be a druggie. Instead they think you look like a terrorist.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: February 23, 2015, 09:55:51 AM

To be fair, they assume everyone is a terrorist.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: February 23, 2015, 10:10:47 AM

Fuck Sake People, I was joking.  Sam's whiter than Tippex.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: February 23, 2015, 10:29:48 AM

To be fair, they assume everyone is a terrorist.

In my case, and I base such a comment on almost ten years of airport security experiences, they really have a hard time accepting I am not.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #56 on: February 23, 2015, 10:35:47 AM

Its the Atari T-Shirts.  Only terrorist wear those.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #57 on: February 23, 2015, 11:37:10 AM

Fuck Sake People, I was joking.  Sam's whiter than Tippex.

Every fifth one-liner you use a word I don't understand, and I have to google.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipp-Ex

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: February 25, 2015, 02:59:59 AM

Interesting to hear about the USA banks. The overdraft stuff was particularly interesting. Last time I accidentally overdraft in Australia it was a flat $35 non-escalating fee I had to pay, swiftly followed by denied funds.

Recently a more comprehensive overdraft system has been introduced by my bank (and they tried to sell it to me fairly often until I opted out*) that mimics a credit card. Any amount over-drafted is treated as a pre-approved loan at over 20% interest.

Credit cards work off of their own limit, they have a minimum repayment and any moneys owing longer than an interest free period gets charged interest. Keep the card @ $0 (ie, pay off your expenditure) and it's an excellent payment system with its own fraud protection that earns you points while costing next to nothing.

I'm also a US citizen though and I've been wondering whether it's worth setting up a foreign (ie, US) account to make things easier if I ever move there.

*opting out proved surprisingly challenging because of changing procedures. After brief stint of IT work for the bank I was able to have my profile corrected though.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #59 on: February 25, 2015, 03:14:28 AM

As others have said, opening a free bank account in the US is very simple.  I wouldn't worry about pre-opening one just in case you need to flee to the US in advance of a Chinese invasion force.  If you're a US citizen they'll give you one before you can finish asking.
Yea, see that's what the rest of the world has always called a credit card because it actually gives you credit.
Err, isn't the US version more accurate?  I mean, its giving you a line of credit, not tied into a bank account or anything.  Straight credit.  A self paying Credit Card that auto-withdrawls from your bank account is pretty much just a lazy debit card.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 03:18:10 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #60 on: February 25, 2015, 11:09:17 AM

If Ian is still reading this thread:

It depends where in Europe. In Germany, your credit card is linked to your bank account and every month on a fixed date your credit balance is automatically paid in full. In France and Spain, your credit card is also linked to your bank account and every time you buy things with the card, the funds are immediately debited from your account. You can't spend money you don't have.

A credit card that withdraws funds immediately sounds just like a debit card. If it's not, what's the difference?

(Personally I have both, c & d-card.)

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Opening a bank account in the USA. Have to. Like tomorrow.  
Jump to: