Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:47:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Deadpool 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Deadpool  (Read 48441 times)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: February 22, 2016, 05:34:44 AM

How much input did Marvel actually have in this?  I assumed that it was entirely a Fox project that they had full control over, like all the other x-men stuff.

I don't think Fox has "full control" over anything Marvel.

According to the writers they had to run the changes to Negasonic Teenage Warhead (in the comics she has totally different powers) past Marvel execs. So it seems like Marvel has veto power over how the characters are portrayed. I assume the contract has some sort of language about using "good faith" interpretations of the characters or something along those lines.

That said it doesn't sound like Marvel had any input as to the plot or script.
Wait, that's a real character? I really thought that was some silly shit they made up for this movie.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #176 on: February 22, 2016, 07:49:54 AM

It's actually the title of a 1995 Monster Magnet song they used as her name.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #177 on: February 22, 2016, 08:21:03 AM

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: February 22, 2016, 01:25:24 PM

The sense I got was that they needed a character that Marvel would not care about because they needed to morph it to fill all the roles that were going to be filled by the X-men originaly in the script. The writer had an affinity for the name after the brief appearance in the comics and decided to use it for the 'Random Power' mutant they added to the story to replace those written out X-men.  Clearly, based upon the Voltron discussion the final battle was supposed to feature four X-men and Deadpool versus the 5 villains originally planned.  I'm betting it was actually supposed to be Deadpool, Colossus, and three new mutants (including Cannonball) versus the 5 names that are floating around for villians. 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: February 22, 2016, 05:42:16 PM

It worked better with the smaller cast of mutants anyways.

I found both the crocs and the musings on Liam Neeson's character in Taken to be funnier than it had any right to be. A lot of the movie rested on little stuff like that.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #180 on: February 22, 2016, 08:09:40 PM

Yeah it was well written and well directed. Just saw it.  It was a really "small" movie in a lot of ways, and tight!  Deserves to be big and rewatched.  I love movies where I can catch things I missed the first time.  I hope they release a director's cut...
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: February 23, 2016, 08:15:06 AM

When I compare it to other comic movies, it feels a lot more like an MCU picture than a Fox X-verse movie.  Do others agree?  I could see Deadpool chatting it up with Tony Stark more than Professor X.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #182 on: February 23, 2016, 08:27:50 AM

I think that's more a commonality of how RDJ and Reynolds approach the characters, and their ability to sell "Hyper-Competent Smart-Ass".

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: February 23, 2016, 08:38:29 AM

Well, it's also a function of how serious/portentious the Singer X-Men movies have felt. Even First Class, though it was a wee bit more punchy and humorous. In any event, they have a single tonality to them with a range of quality. 

Even the relatively serious MCU films (Age of Ultron) don't have the same feeling, partly because there isn't the threat of genocide/anti-mutant racism hanging over it all.  Plus the MCU has a wide range of tonality overall--there can be a corner where alcoholism and sexual assault are serious sub-themes and another corner where the basic tone is light-hearted caper. Feels totally right that there could be a Deadpool doing his thing off in another corner.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #184 on: February 23, 2016, 09:03:46 AM

First Class was directed by Matthew Vaughn. That combined with the time period gave it a less "SRZBZNS" feel.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: February 23, 2016, 12:47:22 PM

The problem I have with the last couple of X-Men movies is that I care less about these "past" adventures.  I'd rather have modern day X-Men movies.  These feel more like gimmicky X-Men movies than anything else.  Also I assume that Age of Apocalypse will do another additional retcon of the series to set up the new ones coming up.  Considering they are gonna lose at least half the cast after this and Wolverine will need to be recast.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #186 on: February 23, 2016, 07:06:42 PM

When I compare it to other comic movies, it feels a lot more like an MCU picture than a Fox X-verse movie.  Do others agree?  I could see Deadpool chatting it up with Tony Stark more than Professor X.

I think this stuff kinda feeds back on itself. Marvel Studios had the X-men and Spider-man movies that they could look at and build off of for ideas on how to do super-hero movies and now to some extent you have Sony and Fox trying to feed back off of what Marvel/Disney has done. Fox's X-men franchise has been going on for twice as many years as the MCU, and the first X-men movie (along with Blade, although he isn't a super-hero) essentially kicked off the modern era of superhero movies. It's hard to maintain a consistent tone when you have to tie-in to those early movies and also when there are some horrible misfires in the franchise like X3 and Wolverine: Origins. First Class and Days of Future Past were a soft reboot, I think not only to try to unfuck their continuity and write-out X3, but also for Fox to free themselves up a bit to modernize the franchise.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: February 23, 2016, 07:38:04 PM

That whole "let's make R-rated stuff" has begun.

http://peeltheorange.net/2016/02/23/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-to-get-an-r-rated-release/

It's just for the DVD release but I lol'd when I saw this.   awesome, for real
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: February 23, 2016, 08:18:05 PM

Lol WUT?  I mean, wtf.  Exactly what would they do in a Batman Vs Superman movie to give it an R rating?!?  Neither of the title charachaters are even remotely likely to drop a curse word harsh enough to make you blink while staying true to character, let alone with enough frequency to warrent a rating hike.   Violence harsh enough to warrent an R Rating probably wouldnt work either, unless they want to show a lot of civilian collateral damage, which would be totally out of character for any of their francchises to date.  So I guess that leaves topless Wonderwoman and some kind of Steamy Super Sex scene?  You know, I might be able to get behind that idea.....

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #189 on: February 23, 2016, 08:18:58 PM

That is a seriously stupid decision - DVD release or not, Superman does not need an R-Rating.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #190 on: February 23, 2016, 08:35:34 PM

Lol WUT?  I mean, wtf.  Exactly what would they do in a Batman Vs Superman movie to give it an R rating?!?  Neither of the title charachaters are even remotely likely to drop a curse word harsh enough to make you blink while staying true to character, let alone with enough frequency to warrent a rating hike.   Violence harsh enough to warrent an R Rating probably wouldnt work either, unless they want to show a lot of civilian collateral damage, which would be totally out of character for any of their francchises to date.  So I guess that leaves topless Wonderwoman and some kind of Steamy Super Sex scene?  You know, I might be able to get behind that idea.....

Rated R for sequences of violence.

So yeah, probably collateral damage, which wouldn't be out of place considering the last half hour or so of Man of Steel.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: February 24, 2016, 01:07:04 AM

Its a fade before we go back to pg-13 land.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: February 24, 2016, 03:27:46 AM

So yeah, probably collateral damage, which wouldn't be out of place considering the last half hour or so of Man of Steel.
You dont get an R Rating for destroying lots of archetecture.  Graphic Citizen Colateral damage (a la the first fight scene in Deadpool, just with civies instead of mercs) gets you an R, but that would be out of character for literally every Batman and Superman movie to date.  The closest they got in Man of Steel was a falling building narrowly missing someone, and Zod almost eye-lazoring someone.  It would be radically out of place all things considered.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #193 on: February 24, 2016, 04:03:57 AM

You dont get an R Rating for destroying lots of archetecture.  Graphic Citizen Colateral damage (a la the first fight scene in Deadpool, just with civies instead of mercs) gets you an R, but that would be out of character for literally every Batman and Superman movie to date.  The closest they got in Man of Steel was a falling building narrowly missing someone, and Zod almost eye-lazoring someone.  It would be radically out of place all things considered.

Man of Steel doesn't get an R because all the death is implied. It's pretty heavily implied though especially compared to something like Avengers where they actively work to save civilians. I don't think the Nolan Batman stuff was too far off from an R-rating either, at least if MPAA ratings made sense and were consistent. People visibly dying in these movies wouldn't be out of character or out of place at this point. We've already had Superman breaking a villain's neck, and the Joker slamming a guy face first onto a pencil. An R-rated cut of the kind of stuff they've already been doing isn't going to be any real kind of tonal shift. If anything I think it's less hypocritical than showing people getting murdered and  getting the movie a PG-13 rating just because there wasn't any blood when it happened.

That said, an R-rating just for one version of the home release is obviously a gimmick. If they had any artistic integrity then either the R-rated version is what they're artistic vision for the movie is and they should release it in the theaters as such, or they shouldn't be filming extra shit for an R-rated version if it's just to sell DVD's and Blu-rays.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: February 24, 2016, 04:17:49 AM

I literally cannot imagine what belongs in a film of Batman and Superman fighting that should get an R rating. Even if it's following Dark Knight Returns in some respect--the only R-rated thing in that really is the death of the Joker.

This means that on some level Snyder is going to double-down on complaints against Man of Steel. "You think I showed too much collateral damage in the last film? Wait till you get a load of this one. You think Superman didn't manage to save enough people last time? This time you'll get to see some heads lopped off and some viscera spilling out."

I guess it sort of goes with Geoff Johns' DC, where it's always a good thing to have an arm lopped off or a person decapitated.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: February 24, 2016, 04:30:26 AM

That whole "let's make R-rated stuff" has begun.

http://peeltheorange.net/2016/02/23/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-to-get-an-r-rated-release/

It's just for the DVD release but I lol'd when I saw this.   awesome, for real

It's for the Director's cut, not for the general DVD release.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: February 24, 2016, 04:31:50 AM

I still cannot imagine what he's filmed to put in his "director's cut" that will have that effect.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: February 24, 2016, 04:32:56 AM

Money shot on Wonder-Woman.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #198 on: February 24, 2016, 04:41:22 AM

Post-credits scene of Snyder wiping his dick off with a 9.0 graded Action Comics #1?
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: February 24, 2016, 04:44:21 AM

Going by his oevre I'd hazard a guess that he's probably more into dudes.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: February 24, 2016, 05:20:22 AM

Going by his oevre I'd hazard a guess that he's probably more into dudes.
It's like you haven't seen Sucker Punch.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: February 24, 2016, 05:36:09 AM

Friends don't let friends watch Suckerpunch.

It's fucking woeful.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: February 24, 2016, 05:37:15 AM

Sucker Punch was so bad that I had already erased its existence from my memory.

We could do a whole Freudian analysis of Snyders psyche just based on his movies, though. On the one hand Sucker Punch's sexploitation bordering on pedophilia or the very awkward sex scene in watchmen and on the other hand lots and lots of burly hypermasculine men either wearing nothing except baby oil or sporting elaborate costumes while beating the shit out of each other.

He's been married twice though.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: February 24, 2016, 07:14:13 AM

Sucker punch seems like how a gay man would interpret "girl power"

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: February 24, 2016, 07:18:50 AM

I suspect not.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #205 on: February 24, 2016, 07:19:58 AM

To be fair to Snyder, the sex scene in Watchmen was basically from the book, and he's stated multiple times that it was his aim to do as close of a shot-for-shot adaptation of the comic as was possible. Except for the ending, of course. Sucker Punch was just a shitty movie that took its visual cues from anime, not from any particular sexual proclivity on the director's part.

Unless he plans for there to be a steamy sex scene or decapitations, I see no reason for an R-rated version of this movie. There just literally isn't any good reason to do so while holding true to the characters. But having seen the trailers, the only character holding true to its roots appears to be Batman.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #206 on: February 28, 2016, 02:45:29 PM

Saw Deadpool last night.  God damn hilarious.

It's up there with GoG as both my favorite superhero movie, and movie I can't wait to see a sequel to.  It's already been discussed a ton here, but I loved just about every second of this movie.

Though I've had "Angel of the Morning" stuck in my head non stop since I walked out of the cinema.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #207 on: February 28, 2016, 07:18:02 PM

This was a much better movie than I expected as well.

Still not sure about the people taking kids to see this film - saw a few in the cinema I was at.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #208 on: February 28, 2016, 08:42:11 PM

Mine still has staff at the door checking IDs. Good on them for it.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: February 28, 2016, 10:52:16 PM

Mine still has staff at the door checking IDs. Good on them for it.
Thing is, it is 18A here in canada, not a hard R.  Meaning that as long as the kid is accompanied by an Adult, there is unfortunately nothing we can really do about it other then give them the "are you and idiot" stare, and kindly point out the movie might not be appropriate for their 10 year old...  Still loads of fun kicking out the asshole teenagers who dont quite make the cut but still think they can sneak in on their own anyway  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Deadpool  
Jump to: