Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:31:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Heroes Reborn 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heroes Reborn  (Read 10680 times)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: May 05, 2015, 10:40:37 AM

Powers and their implications are really hard for a studio to handle.  It is one of the reasons I've been impressed by Flash - a speedster is so powerful, yet they've rarely had complete failures in the 'why is this a challenge for Barry' category. ...
Wait, what? that's like literally the only real complaint about the show.  That's what makes the reverse Flash part of the plot so good, he is the only villain that Barry shouldn't be able to easily dispatch.  It makes the "robot bee girl" or "regular criminals with fancy guns" episodes just so completely dumb in comparison.
Yes, it is one of the few complaints of the show - but I'm amazed it is a complaint that is only really valid for a few episodes when it could very easily be true for most episodes.  Creating reasonable challenges for a speedster is hard.  When they said they wanted to do Flash on TV, I thought it would be impossible to give him reasonable challenges at all.

They've done very well with it.  I fully agree that the 'Rogues Gallery' foes with their glorified guns should be easy take downs, but a lot of the other foes are valid enemies for a speedster.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36 on: June 30, 2015, 10:08:33 AM

And now it gets a trailer.

Nothing in there makes me think its writers will have learned anything.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: June 30, 2015, 10:39:35 AM

They've said a few of the right things - focusing on capturing a bit of the feel of the first half of the first season... but it feels like one of those limited series comic books they release every decade or so to keep the rights to dormant characters alive.  I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and watch the first episode... but I kind of expect to see my doubt removed pretty quick.  My only curiosity is what they do to address the absence of the two most powerful characters from the universe.  It'd be like Superman disappearing from the DC universe - it must be addressed.

DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: September 24, 2015, 11:28:06 AM

For anyone interested in seeing the new series, it starts tonight.

Check out the prequel videos at this link: Dark Matters

The prequel series explains who at least one of the new characters is and gives an idea of what happened with a few of the characters from the previous series that will be in the new one.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: September 24, 2015, 12:27:41 PM

I've spoken with two people that saw the first three hours.  The most useful review for me:

"It feels like a continuation of the last season of Heroes.  I think.  The last season of Heroes wasn't that memorable."

I'm on the verge of not even watching the first episode.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #40 on: September 24, 2015, 12:34:56 PM

I'll likely end up hate-watching this for the sake of completeness.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: September 24, 2015, 12:39:58 PM

This is getting bashed in reviews.  I don't have much hope for it.  Especially when there are so many good superhero shows on now.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: September 24, 2015, 06:29:31 PM

Katana girl's power is DAOC graphics.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #43 on: September 24, 2015, 09:01:31 PM

That was really, um, not very good.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: September 24, 2015, 09:32:48 PM

Wasn't this show originally going to be an XBox or PSN exclusive? I'm almost certain that at one point it was part of the MS "TV TV TV" pitch.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: September 24, 2015, 09:56:39 PM

I just read a summary of the two hour premiere. I want those 2 minutes back.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #46 on: September 25, 2015, 07:40:23 AM

It was not season one Heroes at all. It was a few sprinklings of half decent season two Heroes, intermixed with a bunch of season two annoying oily eyed girl type stuff, plus a ten minute Poser animation demo.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #47 on: September 25, 2015, 08:05:40 AM

I don't find the story any different than the last series.  Save Whoever, save the world.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: September 25, 2015, 08:56:13 AM

Katana girl's power is DAOC graphics.

Yes its like okay your super power is being transported into a really terrible video game that looks like its over a decade old??? You wuz robbed girly.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: September 25, 2015, 04:39:01 PM

If they simply removed katana girl completely it would be sorta okish maybe?

I am the .00000001428%
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: September 25, 2015, 05:23:24 PM

There's too much stupid even without her. Like, ok you can teleport things but you never tried to figure out how it worked? Or even tested like, one time to see if you could teleport something across the room? Or instead of just sticking his hand through the wall, the Holy Ghost proves he has powers by...completely floating through the confessional to smother the dude like he was an altar boy.

There's just a lot bad writing here.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: September 25, 2015, 06:24:51 PM

True, katana girl is at just a whole other level of badness that makes the rest of the show look better by comparison.  The worst part is i can totally picture the meeting where they decided this was a good idea.

I am the .00000001428%
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: October 02, 2015, 01:06:40 PM

The second episode was on last night. It was a little bit better than the first. Not quite so many WTF moments.

Mostly it centered around Molly Walker, who is from the original series. I had to look her up on the internet to find out her power is to be able to locate anyone by thinking about that person.

They packed a lot into one show. There was a continuation of story for: teleporter kid, Chuck and crazy wife, Molly Walker, Noah and conspiracy dude, Katana girl, and Mexican wrestler's brother. Two new powers were revealed. Two cool power stunts were shown. And there is a big event coming that the villains of the show may be the cause of.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #53 on: October 02, 2015, 03:21:51 PM

I watched the first episode of most of my feelings about it track what you guys have said. The katana girl stuff was start to finish fucking stupid and the CGI world looked fine except for the one part that really need to not suck, which was Katana Girl's model. It was fucking awful. The best looking character (El Vengador) was killed in the first 45 minutes for... reasons and we're stuck with drunk, dumb ass brother of Mexican wrestler whose story is utterly not interesting at all. Then let's kill off one of the few interesting holdover characters from the first series Rene because again... reasons. Why are we continually stuck with the least interesting, most annoying stories out of this?

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: October 02, 2015, 03:54:07 PM

There are some real bad examples of enemies he should be able to cream in season 1, but there are more good ones than I thought they could muster.  It is hard to challenge a speedster with something that shouldn't be a gimme.  They did it more often than I thought they could.  That is what I was saying - not that Captain Cold should be anything other than a quick collar for Flash.   

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #55 on: October 03, 2015, 09:04:33 PM

The second episode was pretty terrible. "We need to rescue Molly Walker. We found you! YAY! Wait, don't go! Oh no, she walked around a corner and got nicked but we will stay around in the building while Pudge here bleeds all over the place to see their secret evil plan that totally uses Molly Walker. We must rescue Molly Walker, you know, the chick we totally had rescued like ten minutes ago."

... THE FUCK?

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Heroes Reborn  
Jump to: