Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 12:15:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: SOE now Daybreak, bought by Columbus Nova, going.... "indie?" 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SOE now Daybreak, bought by Columbus Nova, going.... "indie?"  (Read 86149 times)
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: July 10, 2015, 03:07:32 PM

Because a CEO is going off on Twitter about how a 17 year-old is going to "get his" after his judicial system handed down a sentence he didn't approve of?

a) It makes him sound like a whiny baby.

b) He's the CEO of a company--it reflects horribly upon the company.

c) Despite his best efforts to run the company into the ground (or is it a second since I guess he succeeded the first time?), he's still got more power than some teenager in Finland ever will.  Mostly he's just going to win sympathy for the kid while making himself look like a jerk that deserved what he got.  Besides being counter-productive, it's unseemly.

Maybe if someone where to make available info about you and your family's personal details online, send you and your family harassing messages and threats, send in a fake bomb threat to the plane your flying in and cost the company you run thousands and thousands of dollars, you might not be so conciliatory either.   Like I said, it wasn't a good idea for him to respond the way he did, but I can understand it.  This 17 year old "kid" is a piece of shit who got off very lightly with a sentence that in no way can be considered a deterrent to him or others.  As much as we all dislike him, Smedley, and more importantly, his family, are the victims here, not the "kid".  I thought blaming victims wasn't cool?  Or is it ok when it's someone you don't care about?
schild
Administrator

Reply #141 on: July 10, 2015, 06:07:44 PM

I like Smedley.

He's being a retard.

Also, there are rules about "well-off" people being victims.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: July 10, 2015, 06:29:42 PM

I like Smedley.

He's being a retard.

Trust me, if Smedley was a woman, regardless of wealth, there would be a lot more howling about the injustice of it all from the usual suspects.  And yes, he has reacted in exactly the wrong way by...reacting.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 06:31:20 PM by Ginaz »
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: July 10, 2015, 10:11:42 PM

Maybe if someone where to make available info about you and your family's personal details online, send you and your family harassing messages and threats, send in a fake bomb threat to the plane your flying in and cost the company you run thousands and thousands of dollars, you might not be so conciliatory either.   Like I said, it wasn't a good idea for him to respond the way he did, but I can understand it.  This 17 year old "kid" is a piece of shit who got off very lightly with a sentence that in no way can be considered a deterrent to him or others.  As much as we all dislike him, Smedley, and more importantly, his family, are the victims here, not the "kid".  I thought blaming victims wasn't cool?  Or is it ok when it's someone you don't care about?
You're not understanding what I'm saying.

It's perfectly reasonable for him to be mad at what happened, and I'd more than likely be pissed at the verdict were I am in his place.  Nor am I defending anything the kid did, nor saying Smed brought the actions against himself.

I'm saying he's being a moron in his response because all it's doing is throwing out chum.  He can bitch all he wants to his friends and acquaintances, but he should have never, ever, commented on social media, and certainly not in the fashion he did.  There's moral right and wrong, there's legal right and wrong, and then there's basic psychology.  The last one is not on his side.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: July 11, 2015, 10:04:31 AM

Guess we'll see soon if is three days in a row. Yesterday's tweet by Smed were definitely a departure from the ones that began this whole mess.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #145 on: July 13, 2015, 11:59:04 AM

I'll have my people contact your people.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: July 13, 2015, 12:09:01 PM

I really hate the way we turn trolls into some kind of force of nature, like the weather, and then blame the remaining human beings for being human and having emotions. Trolls be trolling, so just never react or feel emotion, otherwise whatever happens next is your fault.
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #147 on: July 13, 2015, 03:09:19 PM

Yeah, saying "trolls just happen" is basically abdicating our common social responsibility, IMHO.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: July 13, 2015, 03:24:06 PM

Smedley deserves all the negative reaction he receives from people like us because of his past actions as the head of a major company.  I don't like him personally and would be very happy if was booted out of the gaming industry forever.  Seriously, fuck that guy.  However, he and his family don't deserve what happened to them.  No one does.  Even as awful of a person that Zoe Quinn seems to be, she didn't deserve the (alleged) harassment she (allegedly) received.  Barring someone being literally Hitler, some sort of child molester or committing other serious crimes, no deserves to be treated like.
schild
Administrator

Reply #149 on: July 13, 2015, 04:18:23 PM

I like him personally and you seriously needs better villains.

There are FAR better villains than Smedley.

Like, for example, Zoe Quinn. Nerd.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: July 13, 2015, 06:42:58 PM

I like him personally and you seriously needs better villains.

There are FAR better villains than Smedley.

Like, for example, Zoe Quinn. Nerd.

I don't hate the guy.  I just think he's been bad for gaming and I'm shocked (well, not really) that he's managed to keep his job after grinding soe into the dirt through mismanagement.  He's just another name in a lost list of people who have been in the industry way too long, contributing way too little and living off of their past success, with that success usually being of the one hit wonder variety. 
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #151 on: July 13, 2015, 07:32:34 PM

And yes, he has reacted in exactly the wrong way by...reacting.

The way he should have handled it would be to stay quiet and hire someone to kill the kids parents and siblings in front of the kid, then kill the kid. I'm sure there's more than a few Russians that would be happy to do it for a reasonable price. Maybe have them do that thing they do where they strangle them with a loop rope they tighten by twisting a strong stick in it. The only organized crime killings more disturbing than Russia's are Thailand. But that's just because the sensation of falling really squicks me out.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #152 on: July 14, 2015, 07:26:13 AM

Yes, let us commit to the sisyphean task of civilizing the internet.

Barring that, let's lock ourselves into incredibly tightly moderated hugboxes that we may sniff our own farts and never be exposed to people who have opinions that make us mad.

This is good for discourse!

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #153 on: July 15, 2015, 07:06:25 PM

I don't hate the guy.  I just think he's been bad for gaming and I'm shocked (well, not really) that he's managed to keep his job after grinding soe into the dirt through mismanagement.  He's just another name in a lost list of people who have been in the industry way too long, contributing way too little and living off of their past success, with that success usually being of the one hit wonder variety. 
No, sorry, not going to let this slide by. Smed has personally come through for me at times when I desperately needed it, and there was no reason to do it except that he's genuinely a nice guy. As for "grinding SOE into the dirt": SOE, even if renamed (I remember when it was Sony Interactive Studios America, then briefly Redeye Interactive, then Verant, then finally SOE, all with Smed in charge) has survived.  Name one other company that has been around through the last 15 years of this industry (I'll give you a hint, there's exactly one). While everybody else in this industry has been trying to figure out how to monetize being an asshole, Smed has quietly and mostly without drama kept the lights on at his shop.

Not without some pain, hell, he's fired *me* twice. But the drama and fireworks has all been generated by other people, and he's been the one that shoveled out all the bullshit afterwards.

--Dave (Technically, Brad McQuaid fired me the first time, the second time was a layoff that caught me, Brad, and a couple of hundred other people)

--Signature Unclear
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: July 15, 2015, 08:45:59 PM

No, sorry, not going to let this slide by. Smed has personally come through for me at times when I desperately needed it, and there was no reason to do it except that he's genuinely a nice guy. As for "grinding SOE into the dirt": SOE, even if renamed (I remember when it was Sony Interactive Studios America, then briefly Redeye Interactive, then Verant, then finally SOE, all with Smed in charge) has survived.  Name one other company that has been around through the last 15 years of this industry (I'll give you a hint, there's exactly one). While everybody else in this industry has been trying to figure out how to monetize being an asshole, Smed has quietly and mostly without drama kept the lights on at his shop.

Not without some pain, hell, he's fired *me* twice. But the drama and fireworks has all been generated by other people, and he's been the one that shoveled out all the bullshit afterwards.

--Dave (Technically, Brad McQuaid fired me the first time, the second time was a layoff that caught me, Brad, and a couple of hundred other people)
Don't come in here ruining the hate train with your facts and personal testimony. awesome, for real

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #155 on: July 15, 2015, 09:26:31 PM

The important thing to take away from all this is that Brad McQuaid and Paul Barnett seem like raging attention whores and unlikeable dicks.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: July 16, 2015, 12:54:57 AM

I'll bite... Turbine?
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #157 on: July 16, 2015, 03:33:58 AM

I've met Smed a few times. He came to Germany a few times to talk to us when we were developing Bullet Run and we hung out with him in LA for E£ back in 2012. He is actually a nice guy who really, really likes games. Apparently a lot of his working day is just him in his office playing Eve or EQII or whatever his timesink du jour happens to be. At E3 he made sure that everyone was ok, he was laserlike in his focus to make sure nothing was preventing us from putting on a good show - all the way down to taking the whole crew out to a Korean Karaoke bar and opening a tab.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #158 on: July 16, 2015, 07:09:57 AM

Smed being a good guy and bad for gaming aren't mutual excursive.

"Me am play gods"
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #159 on: July 16, 2015, 10:31:02 AM

I'll bite... Turbine?
Turbine isn't in the online game business anymore, they have been rebuilt as an in-house shop for Warner Bros.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: July 16, 2015, 10:58:35 AM

I've met Smed a few times. He came to Germany a few times to talk to us when we were developing Bullet Run and we hung out with him in LA for E£ back in 2012. He is actually a nice guy who really, really likes games. Apparently a lot of his working day is just him in his office playing Eve or EQII or whatever his timesink du jour happens to be. At E3 he made sure that everyone was ok, he was laserlike in his focus to make sure nothing was preventing us from putting on a good show - all the way down to taking the whole crew out to a Korean Karaoke bar and opening a tab.
Sounds a lot like the owner of the company I just left.  On a personal level he's a good guy whom I wouldn't mind hanging out with.

The second money or business is involved he devolves into a moron I want nothing to do with.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: July 16, 2015, 02:18:19 PM

I'll bite... Turbine?
Turbine isn't in the online game business anymore, they have been rebuilt as an in-house shop for Warner Bros.

--Dave

Yeah, sadly I believe that before the year is out we'll be seeing a Sundown post for LotRO. They haven't exactly been batting a thousand lately.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: July 17, 2015, 11:42:52 AM

So, related to the hacker news of last week, Smed deleted his personal twitter, and reddit accounts (as of Jul 15). Not like deleting those accounts will remove every record of this recent stupidity, since news places are keeping records of the tweets and the initial reddit thread Smedley started are there.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #163 on: July 17, 2015, 07:53:23 PM

Yeah, saying "trolls just happen" is basically abdicating our common social responsibility, IMHO.

So what's your plan to "fix" them?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Raph
Developers

Reply #164 on: July 18, 2015, 11:21:11 AM

So what's your plan to "fix" them?

All of us should come together united against incivility and other things that undermine our common civilization, then sing kumbaya afterwards when we achieve victory.

Seriously, how else do you think ANY building of social norms happens? You do what you can. You don't say "ah, too bad the barbarians are storming the gates, I'll just relax here while being fed grapes then go for a quiet evening at the vomitorium." Every time you shrug and say "too bad, shit happens," you're actually giving the trolls more power.

"Don't feed the trolls" means "don't encourage them by giving them attention they crave." Not "let them operate with impunity."
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: July 18, 2015, 11:33:15 AM

Yeah, but a public freak out is about the best possible outcome for trolls.  You go on twitter and make an ass of yourself and they basically just won forever.

I am the .00000001428%
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #166 on: July 18, 2015, 11:47:28 AM

Websites have a responsibility to curate their platforms. And by curate, I mean ban everyone who has opinions I really don't like. And by responsibility I mean requirement.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: July 18, 2015, 11:49:13 AM

What gives the trolls their power is how easy people are to manipulate and provoke. It's really that simple, without the reactions, they're just spewing bullshit into the void, but they create positive feedback loops of reactions and counter-reaction. Often, not even with any real goal besides seeing just how big a shitstorm they can create.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: July 18, 2015, 12:03:31 PM

Sounds a lot like the owner of the company I just left.  On a personal level he's a good guy whom I wouldn't mind hanging out with.

The second money or business is involved he devolves into a moron I want nothing to do with.

This is hugely common.  However, I can assure you that the opposite is somehow worse.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: July 18, 2015, 04:47:15 PM

I want nothing to do with terrible guys that are good at running businesses either, so I'm pretty much screwed either way.

Still no winning lotto ticket. undecided

Raph
Developers

Reply #170 on: July 19, 2015, 10:45:00 PM

What gives the trolls their power is how easy people are to manipulate and provoke. It's really that simple, without the reactions, they're just spewing bullshit into the void, but they create positive feedback loops of reactions and counter-reaction. Often, not even with any real goal besides seeing just how big a shitstorm they can create.

--Dave

Ah, cmon, you know as well as I that the stuff they've done to Smed is a bit beyond just "spewing bullshit into the void."

More social media sites should look at that Riot is doing with League of Legends...
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: July 19, 2015, 11:03:28 PM

--Dave

Ah, cmon, you know as well as I that the stuff they've done to Smed is a bit beyond just "spewing bullshit into the void."

More social media sites should look at that Riot is doing with League of Legends...
Oh, they have definitely evolved beyond mere shitposting, and this most recent round with Smed/Daybreak is just their way of saying "Yeah? Well, fuck you too!" But at the core, what they want is control, to make people dance to their whim. They mostly don't care about the larger context or moral calculus of their actions, only about whether it gets other people dancing to their tune.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Raph
Developers

Reply #172 on: July 19, 2015, 11:20:41 PM

Remember, this didn't start with shitposting. It started with DDOSing multiple companies, and calling a bomb threat into a plane. I don't think that happened because of Smed complaining about them on Twitter.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: July 20, 2015, 06:07:08 AM

Remember, this didn't start with shitposting. It started with DDOSing multiple companies, and calling a bomb threat into a plane. I don't think that happened because of Smed complaining about them on Twitter.
Actually it started with DDOS attacks against multiple companies (Blizzard, PSN, SOE), and the reason for the direct attacks at Smed were all because of his reaction (over-reaction?) to LizardSquad in the aftermath. They targeted his plane and him exactly because he was vocal and calling them out for the service outages, mostly via social media (they even got his plane info because of his tweets).

This most recent DDOS was directly resulting from Smed complaining on twitter, about the sentence for one individual in Findland.. Had he not been so vocal in the first place maybe he wouldn't have become an individual target for them, and he is definitely the reason Daybreak incurred the most recent DDOS directed at his company.

So, basically it did begin with shit-posting, and had Smed just had lawyers/investigators handle the whole thing without venting to social media it would've only been the initial DDOS attacks.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #174 on: July 20, 2015, 08:23:08 AM

Just counting words, I'm thinking "social media" pops up whenever someone gets in trouble.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: SOE now Daybreak, bought by Columbus Nova, going.... "indie?"  
Jump to: