Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:29:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Elite drove me here. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite drove me here.  (Read 20383 times)
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

on: January 30, 2015, 03:21:55 PM

So...   The Elite burnout has already set in.  I'm apparently grinding trade runs so I can buy a bigger ship and do...  more lucrative trade runs?  With no end game, story, or consequences I've given up on Elite for the time being.  It's got all the pew pew I could ask for, but there's nothing else there.  Just started yet another trial account in EVE (think this is my third time trying the game), and so far I actually appear to be understanding it better than I did the last couple of times!  I'm going through the mining tutorial right now and actually sort of enjoying it.  It's nice that it's a game I can have going in my other monitor at work while I draw and do other stuff, just coming back to give new autopilot commands from time to time.  Eventually I'll try to join Bat Country, but I'm taking it slow for the time being.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 04:26:11 PM

Well at least you'll find .. consequences. Not sure about the other two.

The "story" is in the corps and their escapades, so join BC as soon as you can (or some other active corp).

- Viin
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 06:05:38 PM

Well at least you'll find .. consequences. Not sure about the other two.

The "story" is in the corps and their escapades, so join BC as soon as you can (or some other active corp).

Will do.  Like I said, right now I'm just enjoying the fact that it's a good background game.  I've got a lot of drawing to do between tattoos, and it's pretty trivial to direct your ship to an asteroid field and have it mine in the background while I'm doing actual productive shit.  =D
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 10:58:37 AM

I just hope Code doesn't find you.  I guess they'll probably not gank you unless you're in a barge.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 01:15:40 PM

I just hope Code doesn't find you.  I guess they'll probably not gank you unless you're in a barge.

I'm in the Magnate right now, skilling up to cruisers so I can get a beefier mining rig.  Are Code a group of high sec neutral gankers or something?
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 01:58:29 PM

the Firgate miner of chioce is called the venture. Dedicated miners now have "ore holds" that hold ore, so the tradtional battleships minng is now of out the window. you can be in a barge in 2 weeks.

Code are a bunch of dedicated suicide gankers on miners. To deter them somewhat use a Procurer set up something like this

Damage Control I
Mining Upgrade I

Medium Shield Extender I
Thermic Dissipation Field I
Adaptive Invulnerability Field I
Adaptive Invulnerability Field I

Strip Miner

Rigs

Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
Medium Core Defense Field Extender I
Medium Core Defense Field Extender I

Hornet EC-300 x4
Hobgoblin I

Cap stable running tank

Obviously upgrade to t2 on those when you can, but even with that its got something like 36k EHP with minimum skils. Obviously if they really want to kill you, you are dead, but that s a more than suffcant deterrent when they can jump on nice soft targets like retrievers and covetors. My Miner has not been ganked at all with that setup, mining n a .7 system. The EW drones mess up their PVPbear calculations of how many ships it will take to nail you before concord blats them.

Oh and orbit a rock while mining. CODE depend on perfect warpins from cloakers and if you are moving its harder to set that up. Jetcan mining is a waste of time, just warp to station when your ore hold is full. The Venture has a hold of 5000 and mines better than a cruiser
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 02:10:47 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 03:32:46 PM

the Firgate miner of chioce is called the venture. Dedicated miners now have "ore holds" that hold ore, so the tradtional battleships minng is now of out the window. you can be in a barge in 2 weeks.

Interesting....   I got a Venture for free doing the mining agent missions, but it showed its cargo hold at 50, so I just ignored the damned thing.  Good to know.  Equipping it now.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 03:44:28 PM

When one of you get the chance, could you PM me with instructions on how to join BC?  Thanks, guys!  I feel like there's probably a million of these oversights/fuck ups that I could avoid if I just joined the damn corp.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 09:02:57 PM

You probably also won't be able to safely mine in hi-sec anymore once you do that, fyi.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 11:19:21 PM

I haven't used a venture but I have a feeling it has a cargo hold plus an ore hold... doesn't it?

If you want to mine and join BC... make an alt - one to mine in hisec  out of corp and one to do BC stuff.

Of course this is where you end up making another account and the madness begins :D

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 08:53:52 AM

I haven't used a venture but I have a feeling it has a cargo hold plus an ore hold... doesn't it?

If you want to mine and join BC... make an alt - one to mine in hisec  out of corp and one to do BC stuff.

Of course this is where you end up making another account and the madness begins :D

Shouldn't I just be able to mine in systems where we have sovereignty, or is that still too dangerous?
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 09:44:05 AM

Shouldn't I just be able to mine in systems where we have sovereignty, or is that still too dangerous?

If you mine in our sov space then you need to keep an eye in local but yes, you will be fine if you do that.  You'd want to find an ongoing mining op and take advantage of rorq bonuses and tank/droneswarms for defence against rats, but you are basically fine.

If you mine in empire with bat country tags then you will get murdered asap.  It is the price we pay for being the biggest empire ganking force in the game.

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 09:53:04 AM

If you mine in empire with bat country tags then you will get murdered asap.  It is the price we pay for being the biggest empire ganking force in the game.

So what's my best bet?  Should I just set a course for BC territory and only join when I'm ready to make the jump?
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 01:15:21 PM

So what's my best bet?  Should I just set a course for BC territory and only join when I'm ready to make the jump?

Yeah, don't join us until you are ready to renounce highsec and all its sins, at least on that character.

Twitter - Endieposts

Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 04:21:41 PM

Yeah, don't join us until you are ready to renounce highsec and all its sins, at least on that character.

Okie doke.  I'll finish doing all the newbie extended tutorial missions for the skill books and minor goodies and get back to ya.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 01, 2015, 04:39:27 PM

Don't wait too long. EVE burn out can strike unexpectedly especially when you're playing by yourself.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 01, 2015, 06:37:27 PM

Don't wait too long. EVE burn out can strike unexpectedly especially when you're playing by yourself.

You're probably right.  And it doesn't make much sense grinding some of those missions just for a free skillbook I could have bought for a measly 50k or so.  So how does actually joining the Corp work?  Do I need to fill out an app, and should I be waiting in a particular system to make the trek to CFC sovereign territory easier?
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 01:15:38 PM

You're probably right.  And it doesn't make much sense grinding some of those missions just for a free skillbook I could have bought for a measly 50k or so.  So how does actually joining the Corp work?  Do I need to fill out an app, and should I be waiting in a particular system to make the trek to CFC sovereign territory easier?

You can set your medical clone once per year or something punitive like that: since chokepoints can be camped I would set your medclone to QPO-WI.  Things are not hugely lively right now in Deklein but ops do leave QPO several times a day so you are in the right place.  I sent you some cash to buy ships to get blown up in.  Remember to claim reimbursement if you lose ships in PvP so it is effectively free after you buy the first one.

It is worth training infomorph psychology first.  That lets you set jump clones up which will make getting back and forth from empire easier in the future.

Do register for services (especially jabber and mumble) and get into Goonswarm jabber and join the Bat_Country channel.  People in there will help you as a newbie with all that you need to do even if our various Finns and Scots in particular are busy being terrifyingly rude to each other at the time.  You will need both halves of your API key: send me both, too (you only sent the small numeric code and you need to send a long hex string, too).

Twitter - Endieposts

Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 04:02:56 PM

You can set your medical clone once per year or something punitive like that: since chokepoints can be camped I would set your medclone to QPO-WI.  Things are not hugely lively right now in Deklein but ops do leave QPO several times a day so you are in the right place.  I sent you some cash to buy ships to get blown up in.  Remember to claim reimbursement if you lose ships in PvP so it is effectively free after you buy the first one.

It is worth training infomorph psychology first.  That lets you set jump clones up which will make getting back and forth from empire easier in the future.

Do register for services (especially jabber and mumble) and get into Goonswarm jabber and join the Bat_Country channel.  People in there will help you as a newbie with all that you need to do even if our various Finns and Scots in particular are busy being terrifyingly rude to each other at the time.  You will need both halves of your API key: send me both, too (you only sent the small numeric code and you need to send a long hex string, too).

Doh!  Got the invite and started things in motion before reading this.  I sold all my shit and bought a shuttle for the ride to YA0-XJ.  Only 30 more jumps to go!

I'm gonna try to get on voice as much as I can, but I run this game at work most of the time, and with 4 kids and a needy wife my nighttime hours are limited.  Figured at least you guys can make some money off of my mining activity if I'm not the most involved corp member.  Shit, family really fucks up your gaming time.  I can remember just gaming all day with the occasional bout of furious masturbation.  Those were the days.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 12:44:58 AM

Don't feel any huge pressure to get on voice: it is simply the case that when you see a broadcast for a frigate roam leaving QPO in fifteen minutes, that is one less thing to get working.

Bat has a separate Teamspeak server (you can get the address from anyone in our jabber channel) but if the USTZ is anything like the EUTZ then it is probably a bunch of people playing other games. Elite was the game de jour for a while but they burned out too.

Twitter - Endieposts

Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 05, 2015, 11:43:47 AM

Hey buddy!  I think I'm going to go back to high sec until I can skill up to a degree that I can actually do stuff solo in nullsec.  Right now I can't even rat solo without getting my ass handed to me.  And my schedule isn't conducive to grouping with people because I might have to take off at any moment, and that's not fair to them.  I'd love to join back up eventually, but right now all I can do is hang out in station and manage my skill queue.  I've still got the newbie starter money and will happily give it back to whoever you want.  Sorry Endie.  I knew I was probably jumping too quick into this.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 05, 2015, 12:50:50 PM

Hey buddy!  I think I'm going to go back to high sec until I can skill up to a degree that I can actually do stuff solo in nullsec.  Right now I can't even rat solo without getting my ass handed to me.  And my schedule isn't conducive to grouping with people because I might have to take off at any moment, and that's not fair to them.  I'd love to join back up eventually, but right now all I can do is hang out in station and manage my skill queue.  I've still got the newbie starter money and will happily give it back to whoever you want.  Sorry Endie.  I knew I was probably jumping too quick into this.

Remember that newbies don't *have* to make money in nullsec: we'll give you plenty and the alliance and corp reimburse ships to the extent that PvPing actually makes you money, but if you're not comfortable in nullsec then you should definitely do whatever makes more sense for you.  You're always welcome back!

Twitter - Endieposts

Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: February 05, 2015, 01:34:23 PM

Remember that newbies don't *have* to make money in nullsec: we'll give you plenty and the alliance and corp reimburse ships to the extent that PvPing actually makes you money, but if you're not comfortable in nullsec then you should definitely do whatever makes more sense for you.  You're always welcome back!

Very cool.  Thanks, man!  Yeah, definitely not about the money, it's just nice doing stuff, and unfortunately when I can't group I'm just in no position to do anything pve-wise that deep out.  I appreciate everything, though, and you'll definitely be seeing me once I can hold my own.  =)
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #23 on: February 10, 2015, 04:23:27 AM

If you wanna rat, I have played in ages but drakes always seemed to be a skill point effective way to do it. God, I murdered so many drakes..... ;)

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #24 on: February 10, 2015, 11:42:57 PM

Hey man - when you do get tired of high sec ping me here or in bat/on jabber, I generally play half afk at work as well with the weekly foray on fleets or roams, for much the same reasons ie. Toddlers etc. Bat's awesome and low pressure much like GSF in general. Null takes a while to get used to but to be honest I'm more nervous in high sec, course I've been playing on and off for a long time. Anyway, do what's fun but if you get bored, come hang in Dekelin for a while.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 11:54:28 PM by squirrel »

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 12, 2015, 02:19:15 AM

A problem with being in Goonswarm has always been that we have used alliance jabber for conferencing purposes: you can chill in our jabber channel - people from numerous alliances do so - but you must either be CFC or a special-enough snowflake that I'll get an alt of yours into Bat Country on the quiet.

To fix this, and to make it easier just to hang out with us, we are moving our text comms from alliance jabber to slack.  Register at http://kb.batcountry-eve.org/slack and once midge notices your app you'll be able to log in via a browser at https://batcountry.slack.com from work, school, home, wherever.  An excellent mobile app exists, which I leave on pretty much 24/7 on my phone and Surface Pro.  You can also just sign in from any running jabber client you already have.

We'll be tying the service in with auth and creating a corp-only room into which broadcasts are relayed from jabber at smoe point, but for now we are just opening up the lot so if you need help or have questions, feel free to join.

Twitter - Endieposts

Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: February 12, 2015, 05:18:39 AM

Hey man - when you do get tired of high sec ping me here or in bat/on jabber, I generally play half afk at work as well with the weekly foray on fleets or roams, for much the same reasons ie. Toddlers etc. Bat's awesome and low pressure much like GSF in general. Null takes a while to get used to but to be honest I'm more nervous in high sec, course I've been playing on and off for a long time. Anyway, do what's fun but if you get bored, come hang in Dekelin for a while.

I definitely will.  You guys are all awesome.  I just think I made the leap too quick, because soloing anything in null as a newbie in a frigate is tough.  I could rig up a frigate for tackling, but again, that'd only be useful for those rare instances when I can actually give you guys full, undivided attention.

Right now I'm playing in 2 modes.  I've got a coercer that I've rugged up for either running missions or for tracking down cosmic signatures.  Either way I salvage the shit out of everything.  I've also got a venture that is rapidly showing its age that I still use for background mining.  I'm skilling up to a procurer right now and I'll tank it up as much as I can, orbit a jet can while mining, etc.  All that due diligence stuff.  smiley

What do I need to be able to handle a similar playstyle in nullsec?  Will a battle cruiser do it, or will I need a full fledged battleship?
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 12, 2015, 05:26:55 AM

Oh!  I also needed to add that I'm really digging it.  I don't understand why the game never clicked with me before, but for some reason it does now.  Who the hell is the guy in BC with the fucking enormous bounty on him?  Hilarious.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: February 12, 2015, 08:18:27 PM

You can rat in nullsec in a Drake (Caldari BC) successful with moderate missile skills.  Plus it is dirt cheap to replace.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #29 on: February 12, 2015, 10:43:16 PM

You can rat in nullsec in a Drake (Caldari BC) successful with moderate missile skills.  Plus it is dirt cheap to replace.

You can also make pretty decent dosh salvaging in SD-, lots of us don't salvage we just use a MTU to get the loot so you can sit in a destroyer with a bunch of salvagers chewing wrecks once an anomaly is cleared. Kind of like mining actually.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: February 13, 2015, 03:36:46 AM

A procurer's Ore hold s about half a jetcan.  why so serious?

Thinking of plexing another account to mine while exploring

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Elite drove me here.  
Jump to: