Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:08:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Ghostbusters reboot. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ghostbusters reboot.  (Read 87485 times)
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #315 on: July 12, 2016, 04:38:29 AM

While I agree, it makes a change from old style US market pandering, which used to happen on a much more fundamental levl, moving entire stories to america and giving lead characters US citizenship. That sort of thing happens far less often now.

Fuck yeah.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #316 on: July 12, 2016, 07:43:30 AM

If you build something for too broad of an audience, it doesn't serve any audience well. 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #317 on: July 12, 2016, 07:45:41 AM

Maybe the reduction of American jingoism can be called progress in one area of superficial aesthetics, the accompanying dumbing down of dialogue and addition of large amounts of over the top CGI is a much bigger step backwards.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #318 on: July 12, 2016, 08:30:13 AM

Fwiw, and although I never watched it, the one that annoyed me most was Matilda. You do not fuck with Roald Dahl.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 09:05:32 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #319 on: July 12, 2016, 04:20:24 PM

Metacritic has no time for obsessively sexist bullshit.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #320 on: July 12, 2016, 04:43:42 PM

While I agree, it makes a change from old style US market pandering, which used to happen on a much more fundamental levl, moving entire stories to america and giving lead characters US citizenship. That sort of thing happens far less often now.

Token characters represent significant progress.

The thing about China pandering is not only does it consist of adding Chinese characters and having set pieces in China, it also consists of dumbing down the plot, characters, dialog, etc, so that the film can be easily translated into different languages and basically understood with the sound off.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: July 12, 2016, 06:12:43 PM

Richard Roeper reviews Ghostbusters.

Lol.. the first two words of the article are "So bad."
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #322 on: July 12, 2016, 07:29:30 PM

Woof.

schild
Administrator

Reply #323 on: July 12, 2016, 07:51:47 PM

Woof.
Going to assume this a response to the fact the 4 leads are busted in every sense of the word.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #324 on: July 12, 2016, 08:02:25 PM

LOL. Nope, just how bad that review was. Though yeah, to be sexist for a second... yeah.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: July 12, 2016, 08:53:51 PM

Wow. Eviscerated isn't the right word, but I'm having trouble coming up with a suitable replacement.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #326 on: July 12, 2016, 08:54:57 PM

Hey, how are ya?

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: July 13, 2016, 02:44:15 PM

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ghostbusters-denied-release-china-910563

Looks like they tried real hard to make it palatable to the Chinese audience but it's funny cause they think America is sexist for not wanting this movie but it looks like China doesn't even wanna show it.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: July 13, 2016, 04:46:55 PM

I mentioned this before, but apparently everyone who doesn't like this new Ghostbusters is a Trump supporter according to Judd Apatow.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/03/entertainment/judd-apatow-ghostbusters-trump/index.html
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: July 13, 2016, 05:59:49 PM

I mentioned this before, but apparently everyone who doesn't like this new Ghostbusters is a Trump supporter according to Judd Apatow.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/03/entertainment/judd-apatow-ghostbusters-trump/index.html

Clinton should just go pack her bags then.   awesome, for real
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #330 on: July 13, 2016, 07:08:41 PM

Debated with myself whether to post this, since for a variety of reasons it's a perfect storm of Due Wrong troll fodder...but what the hell:

Why the new 'Ghostbusters' is Gamergate's worst nightmare

This last week has been tough for Gamergate. As overwhelmingly positive reviews for the Ghostbusters reboot come out, Gamergate knows who’s to blame: Corrupt journalists, just like the last time. “Sony has been accused of astroturfing and paying for good reviews!” exclaims one Gamergater. “Ideology over honesty. The Polygon story,” complains another.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a 61 score on Metacritic is not 'overwhelmingly positive'. The 25 of the above link has lots of company in the 40-50 range. Apparently if you don't like Ghostbusters, it's because you have a hate for women disguised as a concern for ethics in gaming journamalism. And a lot of film reviewers apparently have secret GG ties.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: July 13, 2016, 07:51:28 PM

It's at 75% on Rotten Tomatoes, which scares me as I was intending to use "But it got awful reviews!" as my excuse to the wife to avoid seeing it.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #332 on: July 13, 2016, 08:18:23 PM

It's at 75% on Rotten Tomatoes, which scares me as I was intending to use "But it got awful reviews!" as my excuse to the wife to avoid seeing it.

All the good reviews are "Well, it wasn't terrible"

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #333 on: July 13, 2016, 08:39:05 PM

Rotten Tomatoes was bought by Fandango.  I wouldn't trust their ranking system for shit anymore.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: July 14, 2016, 12:46:20 AM

I feel sorry for people who think that GamerGate is behind everything or some sort of all-powerful force in the universe comparable to gravity. Imagine being that dumb.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #335 on: July 14, 2016, 07:29:03 AM

Well, or "GamerGaters" who think the entire world is conspiring against them. There is plenty of dumb to go around.

I'm not entirely sure btw that the proposition that films are stripped of all nuance or made very simplistic just to appeal to the Chinese market (for ease of translation) really holds up if you think about blockbusters from the 1980s onward. Top Gun, for example, wasn't exactly full of narrative complexity or intricate dialogue. I do think there are pandering gestures that a lot of studios are inserting into films, and I'm sure that with something like Ghostbusters, knowing that the peculiar obsession of current Chinese censors with forbidding ghosts, the supernatural, etc. is a major issue and in some cases might kill a script or a pitch for a particular film.

I certainly don't feel any interest in this film myself, even with the lukewarm reviews. It just feels like a mess.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #336 on: July 14, 2016, 09:00:46 AM

Yeah, this isn't surprising.  It doesn't even have to do anything with how bad the movie is or isn't.  Girls don't buy action figures, boys don't play with female toys.  This is why GI Joe only had like 5 female figures out of like 400 and why the only time anyone gives a shit that there aren't any Black Widow toys is when internet feminists find out about it.  There is zero demand for female action figures, make a ghostbuster barbie if you must.

I am the .00000001428%
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #337 on: July 14, 2016, 09:23:04 AM

Not entirely true. Rey was and is in high-demand on the Star Wars figures side of things, so at least some portion is how important that character is to the story.

Ghostbusters figures never sold well to begin with and parent's aren't going to buy non-trendy toys for their kids.

That aside, Target also said it was a mistake in their inventory process.  why so serious?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: July 14, 2016, 09:41:52 AM

Star Wars figures are bought out by neckbeard collectors before any children can get near them.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #339 on: July 14, 2016, 10:04:19 AM

I would guess that the collectors' market for action figures is now considerably bigger than the mass market for kids. It just isn't what most kids want at this point, male or female. So the people who complain that there's no Black Widow have a point: the collectors, even men, will probably buy it if it's well-designed. Catwoman figures sell to collectors well ahead of many other Batman-mythos figures, and it isn't just horny nerds fueling that.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: July 14, 2016, 12:32:00 PM

And now Rotten Tomatoes has this as "certified fresh".  This is the movie that Fandango wants to burn the credibility of Rotten Tomatoes on?  Really, guys?

Movies and TV shows are Certified Fresh with a steady Tomatometer of 75% or higher after a set amount of reviews (80 for wide-release movies, 40 for limited-release movies, 20 for TV shows), including 5 reviews from Top Critics.

I will be seeing this tomorrow, as I cannot dissuade the wife from seeing what looks to be an utter disaster of a movie.  If it is terrible, I sit for 105 minutes, and have something to tease her about for the next 30 years.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: July 14, 2016, 12:42:01 PM

And now Rotten Tomatoes has this as "certified fresh".  This is the movie that Fandango wants to burn the credibility of Rotten Tomatoes on?  Really, guys?

Movies and TV shows are Certified Fresh with a steady Tomatometer of 75% or higher after a set amount of reviews (80 for wide-release movies, 40 for limited-release movies, 20 for TV shows), including 5 reviews from Top Critics.

I will be seeing this tomorrow, as I cannot dissuade the wife from seeing what looks to be an utter disaster of a movie.  If it is terrible, I sit for 105 minutes, and have something to tease her about for the next 30 years.

How exactly does Rotten Tomatoes have anything to do with the fresh/rotten rating?

Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #342 on: July 14, 2016, 01:41:10 PM

They don't. If a reviewer scores a movie >50% that is a "Fresh" rating. Plenty of certified fresh movies are middling, when a lot of reviewers moderately enjoy the movie.

Also the "trusted" almost is always lower than the "general" and "user" ratings as people who review a lot of movies tend to give lower scores in general.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #343 on: July 14, 2016, 04:34:17 PM

All big budget movies are pandering to China now.  They are major movie bucks.

I think you mean "marketing".

Of course, I also think of "China" in the plural. Place is enormous, and about as monothicycally unified as Congress. Except the latter at least speaks one language.

Back on point: any company not thinking of China is hyper local, not in any type of export business, not producing anything in SE Asia, or not publicly traded. If you use "global" more than once in any sentence a week, you're thinking about the Chinese markets (and in about half a decade: India).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 04:35:59 PM by Darniaq »
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #344 on: July 14, 2016, 05:05:01 PM

I do think there are pandering gestures that a lot of studios are inserting into films, and I'm sure that with something like Ghostbusters, knowing that the peculiar obsession of current Chinese censors with forbidding ghosts, the supernatural, etc. is a major issue and in some cases might kill a script or a pitch for a particular film.

I don't think the Chinese have a problem with ghosts - that's just more bullshit made up to defend the new Ghostbusters movies and provide a weak explanation for why it's not releasing there.

China has a problem with skeletons (this is why Dota2's "Skeleton King" was turned into "Wraith King") and with things like flesh eating ghouls. But Chinese culture and film are full of supernatural things, including their versions of vampires, ghosts, etc.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #345 on: July 14, 2016, 05:53:45 PM

A couple people I know saw a screening and said that the movie really isn't that bad and somewhat enjoyed it.  These aren't SJW types either as I was expecting them to just bash the thing to death.  

edit:  These guys also don't have any real attachment to the original in the way most of you and I do.
schild
Administrator

Reply #346 on: July 14, 2016, 06:00:23 PM

They also might be fucking clowns with bad taste. We don't know them.

Edit: Anyway, this is going to be a tough one for me. I absolutely 100% refuse to see it in theaters, but I know at some point I'm gonna have the suffer the indignity of sitting through it. It never had a chance of being good as it was an abortion and throwaway idea at conception. Blurgh.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 06:02:11 PM by schild »
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #347 on: July 14, 2016, 06:23:55 PM

China has a problem with skeletons (this is why Dota2's "Skeleton King" was turned into "Wraith King") and with things like flesh eating ghouls. But Chinese culture and film are full of supernatural things, including their versions of vampires, ghosts, etc.

Yes, which Mao tried to wipe-out in the Cultural Revolution and break from the old ways. The laws the censors use to forbid such things are from that time frame, they're just a convenient excuse for modern regimes to keep things they don't like out.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #348 on: July 15, 2016, 12:29:52 PM

Like shitty movies.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #349 on: July 15, 2016, 12:36:48 PM

My buddy at work went and saw it and said it was good. He also said that it was a lot more "serious" than the trailers made you think (as in it's not really a comedy) and that it was fun.

It's not like he changed my mind on it, since I didn't give a fuck about it when it was announced and haven't seen or heard anything that makes me give more of a fuck about it now.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Ghostbusters reboot.  
Jump to: