Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:49:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Ghostbusters reboot. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ghostbusters reboot.  (Read 87468 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: May 30, 2016, 06:05:26 PM

The latest trailer didn't suck as much as the prior two. But every time I watch any trailer or see any image, I ask why can't they just update the special effects in the original?
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #281 on: May 30, 2016, 08:19:26 PM

And the marketing for the movie wasn't really centered around, "If you don't like it, you're a bad person", until the shit-stirrers came out of the woodwork en-masse after the first trailer.

This movie will probably suck but Jesus, the hate has been on overdrive since day fucking one.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #282 on: May 30, 2016, 09:52:57 PM

And the marketing for the movie wasn't really centered around, "If you don't like it, you're a bad person", until the shit-stirrers came out of the woodwork en-masse after the first trailer.

This movie will probably suck but Jesus, the hate has been on overdrive since day fucking one.
Funny how it just worked out like that. How the discussion is no longer about how the the trailers (which really should be the best parts) make it look like the CGI sucks, the jokes are flat, and the characters are cardboard.

Now it is about how a certain segment of the objections are blatantly sexist. Almost cartoonishly and incoherently. As if someone was picking out the worst examples, and ignoring everything else. And why do we know this? Who decided to call our attention to the mouthbreathers?

Yeah. Funny how that worked out.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: May 31, 2016, 02:34:53 AM

The new journalism is finding the 3 people on earth who have decided to boycott Mad Max because it has women in it and making that national news about a disturbing "trend." It's the equivalent of how the media used to report on those dick-sucking-with-different-colored-lipstick parties that they pretended kids were all into for a while, but online.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: June 03, 2016, 06:48:56 PM

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: June 04, 2016, 07:41:41 AM

I dislike everything I've heard about the new Ghostbusters because it sounds like a gimmicky retread of a movie that really doesn't need a gimmicky retread, and largely worked because of Harold Ramis' writing.  This is a terrible idea, and it's likely to be utterly awful.

The previews they have shown have done the movie no favors.  The first two were awful in terms of trying to ge me to see the movie, and the third one was passable.  I'll eagerly await feedback, and if it's actually a good movie, I'll probably go see it.

I've seen, heard, or read very little to indicate it will be a good movie.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: June 04, 2016, 11:15:33 PM

I honestly can't recall the last time a "major" motion picture cast and crew went on attack mode like this against people who said, "Yo, your trailer looks like indie shit that shouldn't have seen the light of day."

Fucks sake. Even Affleck and Jlo owned the shitfest that was Gigli.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it'll be great. So far there is no indication that it will, and fuck them for doing schoolyard bullshit to try and defend it.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: June 04, 2016, 11:34:42 PM

Even if it is great it's no excuse for their extended temper tantrum.

Right now people can only judge based on the trailers. The point of the trailers is to sell movies and these trailers look bad. That's still on them.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: June 05, 2016, 12:57:56 AM

Right now people can only judge based on the trailers. The point of the trailers is to sell movies and these trailers look bad. That's still on them.

^

Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: June 05, 2016, 07:07:59 AM

Right now people can only judge based on the trailers.

Not anymore.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: June 05, 2016, 03:24:53 PM

The trailers looked awful. That said, the mouth-breathing gamergate/mens rights people did come out of the woodwork and attack them. Yes, they're focusing on that in their replies but that's probably because those people are the most vocal and get the most attention. There is tons to dislike in the trailers I've seen, not least of which is the writing just seems very uninspired and is recycling jokes from the 90s (at the latest!) but trying to pretend a significant portion of the backlash isn't because of the recent misogynistic trends we've seen online is a bit silly.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #291 on: June 05, 2016, 03:47:00 PM

The trailers looked awful. That said, the mouth-breathing gamergate/mens rights people did come out of the woodwork and attack them. Yes, they're focusing on that in their replies but that's probably because those people are the most vocal and get the most attention. There is tons to dislike in the trailers I've seen, not least of which is the writing just seems very uninspired and is recycling jokes from the 90s (at the latest!) but trying to pretend a significant portion of the backlash isn't because of the recent misogynistic trends we've seen online is a bit silly.

Oh please...

At this point everyone involved in this baby killing clusterfuck is looking for a believable scapegoat for after release. When this thing tanks I wonder how they're going to translate online "misogyny" into real life empty seats.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 03:49:10 PM by angry.bob »

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: June 06, 2016, 01:25:02 AM

Its not like there haven't been other movies with female leads that have done well, such as "Thelma and Louise", so claiming that THIS movie is failing becasue it ran into the glass ceiling is pretty stupid. That ceiling is well and truly in pieces and ground into a fine powder.

Hic sunt dracones.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: June 06, 2016, 01:18:33 PM

Its not like there haven't been other movies with female leads that have done well, such as "Thelma and Louise", so claiming that THIS movie is failing becasue it ran into the glass ceiling is pretty stupid. That ceiling is well and truly in pieces and ground into a fine powder.

Don't get me wrong, this movie looks like it is going to fail because it just doesn't look like a very good movie. But to try to pretend the online backlash doesn't have a significant misogynistic component to it is silly.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: June 06, 2016, 03:13:07 PM

The misogynistic narrative was spun the moment casting was announced.  From the very beginning the most complaints were always about the movie shitting on nostalgia and the 'gimmick' of this one having an all female cast and that got turned into the "hordes of neckbeards are against women" narrative but it was never the case. 

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #295 on: June 06, 2016, 03:16:06 PM

Unfortunately, all the Internet's worst MRA shitgoblins who DID shit all over the movie for the gimmicky all-women casting have made it so that they have a ready made excuse for why this movie failed - i.e. it's misogny and not a boring, mediocre set of trailers or what I assume will be at best lukewarm word-of-mouth.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #296 on: June 06, 2016, 03:48:21 PM

There are always shitgoblins, acknowledging them just encourages them. We've been through this before.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: June 23, 2016, 09:54:54 PM

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: June 23, 2016, 10:56:10 PM

Holy fuck. Was the logo the only thing they got right on this fuckfest?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #299 on: June 23, 2016, 11:26:02 PM

I like Missy Elliot but WHAT IN THE UNHOLY NAME OF MONKEY FUCK WAS THAT NU METAL WUBDUB WANKERY?

EDIT: Ok the little bit of Missy Elliot rap was ok, but it was wrapped in a shit burrito of shitty shit shit shit.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 11:27:33 PM by HaemishM »

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #300 on: June 23, 2016, 11:31:28 PM

Man. If you've heard one Fallout Boy song you really have heard them all.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #301 on: June 23, 2016, 11:54:52 PM

You do NOT mess with a plagiarized Huey Lewis song. I mean, WTF.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #302 on: June 27, 2016, 12:52:21 PM

I have never played WoW.
schild
Administrator

Reply #303 on: June 27, 2016, 12:59:39 PM

Man. If you've heard one Fallout Boy song you really have heard them all.

Naw. Early Fallout Boy and late Fallout Boy are wildly different. Fallout Boy has shifted far closer to Panic! At the Disco and the latter has shifted towards Fallout Boy in their last few efforts.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: July 08, 2016, 06:19:29 AM

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: July 08, 2016, 07:09:57 AM

Quote from: Ivan Reitman
“It’s not so much that the trailer was bad. The trailer was fine. It just can’t stand up to more than 25 years of personal experience”

No way bro, 25 years later and I still enjoy the original franchise. Or does he mean 25 years of female rejection has brought it to this  Head scratch

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #306 on: July 10, 2016, 11:13:25 AM

Lots and lots of "it's not THAT bad" reviews coming out today. I don't know that damning with faint praise is much better than a shitstorm of negativity.

That said, the review I watched on YouTube gave me enough eyeroll material that I won't be happy when my wife drags me to the theater next week.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: July 10, 2016, 11:45:14 PM

A lot of the reviews read like "I wanted to call this movie mediocre, but I don't want the trolls to win, so instead I'll say it's passable."

In the end it sounds like a lot of the stuff we get these days - warmed-over content, callbacks and fanservice, bigger set pieces and more CGI with less wit, etc. Basically exactly what you would expect from "what if Ghostbusters was a summer blockbuster?", or more generally "what if we revived this old property for no reason other than that we are risk averse and any known IP feels like a safer bet than something new?"

Like the GI Joe movies, turtles movies, new Jurassic Park, new ID4, etc etc etc.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: July 11, 2016, 01:45:28 AM

Like the GI Joe movies, turtles movies, new Jurassic Park, new ID4, etc etc etc.

It was always going to be this.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: July 11, 2016, 09:29:03 AM

A lot of the reviews read like "I wanted to call this movie mediocre, but I don't want the trolls to win, so instead I'll say it's passable."

In the end it sounds like a lot of the stuff we get these days - warmed-over content, callbacks and fanservice, bigger set pieces and more CGI with less wit, etc. Basically exactly what you would expect from "what if Ghostbusters was a summer blockbuster?", or more generally "what if we revived this old property for no reason other than that we are risk averse and any known IP feels like a safer bet than something new?"

It's all designed for foreign rubes. Less/dumber dialogue + more CGI = easier to translate, dub, or follow in english for people who don't understand it very well. Look at that piece of crap new Robocop movie they made, just awful and flopped in the USA but did $250 million worldwide. Doesn't matter if the movie sucks if it still packs the house in Egypt, India, the Phillipines, etc. Going to have to stop getting excited about blockbusters, because this global model is the new norm.

The good news is that there's a market opportunity for more sophisticated movies aimed at English speaking audiences. Technology has also brought down technical production and editing costs so you can get high quality cinematography even on TV shows now so that lowers the capital barrier of entry for producers and directors looking to make stuff like this.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: July 11, 2016, 09:55:18 AM

Considering Chinese laws about depictions of skeletons I wonder if all the ghosts look remarkably vibrant and non-dead.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #311 on: July 11, 2016, 04:18:25 PM

Considering Chinese laws about depictions of skeletons I wonder if all the ghosts look remarkably vibrant and non-dead.

Holy shit.

They do, to the point of Neon-colored hilarity. You must not have been watching any of the trailers. That would explain why such awful effects have been used.

I wonder if we're also going to get a China-pandering character or scene like all the other recent blockbusters have had.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: July 11, 2016, 04:28:15 PM

All big budget movies are pandering to China now.  They are major movie bucks.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: July 11, 2016, 11:06:10 PM

They do, to the point of Neon-colored hilarity. You must not have been watching any of the trailers. That would explain why such awful effects have been used.

I wonder if we're also going to get a China-pandering character or scene like all the other recent blockbusters have had.

In the Chinese cut Leslie Jone's character is entirely replaced with a Chinese actress with different lines like "supplies motherfuckers" and "the power of Wing Chun compels you."

In all seriousness, I really hate the trend of China pandering. It's a financial incentive to make movies dumb as shit surface-level spectacles.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: July 12, 2016, 02:39:33 AM

While I agree, it makes a change from old style US market pandering, which used to happen on a much more fundamental levl, moving entire stories to america and giving lead characters US citizenship. That sort of thing happens far less often now.

Token characters represent significant progress.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Ghostbusters reboot.  
Jump to: