Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:29:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Ghostbusters reboot. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ghostbusters reboot.  (Read 87469 times)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

on: January 28, 2015, 05:11:24 AM

Direceted by Paul Feige, cast announced just now http://www.superherohype.com/news/328081-the-ghostbusters-reboot-cast-revealed

I....don't hate it?  Just so many mixed emotions.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 05:38:50 AM

Was the script already written and they were just waiting on a cast? 18 months to scout, shoot, post-produce and re-shoot seems ambitious.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 05:39:20 AM

It is scheduled to release in competiton with a Power Rangers Reboot.   Fucking POWER RANGERS.  I gather the studios obviously dont have much faith in this thing taking on any serious competition in the box office.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 05:53:02 AM

Power Rangers are still a big thing among boys 9-11 (at least here) AND hit the nostalgia curve for the original audience of 9-11 year olds who are now 30-32 at the high-end. I expect it to do better than you're implying.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 09:53:08 AM

The cast is a good cast.

The "worst" one is McCarthy, but she can be good when used correctly. The rest of the cast, especially McKinnon, is fantastic.

beer geek.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 09:56:20 AM

Hollywood is officially out of new ideas. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 10:15:21 AM

I have zero interest in this now.  If they wanted to switch up the gender mix, then it should be a mix.  I assumed Hollywood would steal liberally from Biog Bang Theory for this. That's how I would have pitched this movie.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 10:17:41 AM by shiznitz »

I have never played WoW.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 10:23:23 AM

Immediately put off by the cast announcement, but let's see what they do with it.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 10:37:21 AM

Totally stoked for Guy Richie's King Arthur, though!
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 10:42:14 AM

I'm reserving judgment until the first trailer.  They're talking about this having more darkness than the original (the ghosts are a real threat rather than just funny).  That could go either very right (Half Ghost Busters, Half Evil Dead 2 could be good) or really wrong (like trying to drop the rogues gallery from the 1960s Batman into Christian Bale's Batman). 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 12:16:31 PM

Ghostbusters had as much threat as Back to the Future or Indiana Jones. By which I don't mean none, I mean about the right amount for an adventure comedy.

I'd expect they'd want to amp it up a bit to allow for the production values people expect 35 years later, but I wouldn't say the ghosts were 'just comedy' even last time around.

I seem to remember the hell hounds and marshmallow man being some serious shit from the perspective of a kid in the eighties.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 12:58:40 PM

I seem to remember the hell hounds and marshmallow man being some serious shit from the perspective of a kid in the eighties.

"Get her!" That was terrifying at the time.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 01:03:57 PM

Maybe McCarthy and Slimer can have a hotdog eating contest....

I have never played WoW.
WayAbvPar

Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 01:06:34 PM

Magic 8 ball says 'Outlook not good'.

Hopes are not high. Willing to re-evaluate, but I have already had my fill of some of these people (McCarthy in particular...one trick pony). A good script and a good directorial effort could save it, but I am not going to hold my breath.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 01:08:06 PM

buckle up for some female comedy
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 01:47:46 PM

Ghostbusters is just forever tied to the 1980s for me.  I can't see it translating well to 2015.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 02:23:24 PM

I was never all that invested in the Ghostbusters as a franchise, so I didn't really care about this when it had the original cast attached. I sure don't care much now.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 12:51:15 PM

I'm with WAP's magic 8 ball on this one.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: January 30, 2015, 02:59:43 PM

This whole "all female ghostbusters" thing was a throw away comment like a year ago.

That it materialized is just fucking depressing. None of those girls stack up to any member of the original cast. To that point, no recast would stack up to the original cast.

What a disaster.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 30, 2015, 05:47:39 PM

The best thing I can say so far is that Wiig and McCarthy have both done much better acting 5+ years ago than they've done recently. They have the potential to be better than their recent stuff... but that is not saying much.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 06:17:47 PM

Nostalgia is evidently a mind-cleansing instrument.

Let's take Murray and Ramis. Coming off of a shambolic, sometimes-funny-as-hell-sometimes-Hollywood-dumb film (Stripes), they kind of struck gold. I think without knowing how or why they did. If there had been websites like this in 1981, your spiritual equivalents would have been saying, 'I dunno, sounds kind of dumb'. Even the film itself doesn't really stand up that well to really tough scrutiny. It just...it kind of was what it was. An accident, a glorious accident. There are patches in it that are kind of shit or awful, there's Ernie Hudson doing I don't know what, etcetera.

It's bad to act as if it is reasonable to repeat it--but equally bad to act as if it's impossible to, if you know what I mean. None of you would have expected it to be what it was when it was. So who knows?
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #21 on: January 30, 2015, 07:23:49 PM

You shut your mouth about Ernie Hudson.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 30, 2015, 07:40:56 PM

You shut your mouth about Ernie Hudson.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 30, 2015, 10:09:47 PM

Ghostbusters might as well be the Virgin Mary to techies and pop culture fanatics. Several Blizzard developers *revered* that movie. With the Marvel movies drawing out "that crowd," it surprises me little that so much effort was put into a new Ghostbusters.

The fandom was only for the original. We do not speak of the sequel.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 30, 2015, 10:31:42 PM

Ghostbusters might as well be the Virgin Mary to techies and pop culture fanatics. Several Blizzard developers *revered* that movie. With the Marvel movies drawing out "that crowd," it surprises me little that so much effort was put into a new Ghostbusters.

The fandom was only for the original. We do not speak of the sequel.

It's not that effort wasn't put forward it's that Murray was kinda holding things up then well, Ramis passed away.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 31, 2015, 10:11:06 AM

Yeah, I don't blame Murray either. I should have been more specific, I meant in the last three to five years.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 31, 2015, 01:09:16 PM

The best thing I can say so far is that Wiig and McCarthy have both done much better acting 5+ years ago than they've done recently. They have the potential to be better than their recent stuff... but that is not saying much.

In regards to Wiig, what the hell are you talking about? Go watch Skeleton Twins. And her starring roles are only about 3.5 years ago. McCarthy's film roles aren't that old either. But I also don't know much about her stuff aside from maybe Bridesmaids.

beer geek.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: January 31, 2015, 01:18:02 PM

I have not seen Skeleton Twins - Wiig could be good in it for all I know.  However, everything I have seen her in recently was been disappointing - and she has been disappointing in those things.  Same for McCarthy.  However, both did some stuff in the 2000s that I respected and enjoyed. 

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #28 on: January 31, 2015, 01:54:03 PM

Like what?

I can't name a single movie McCarthy was in during the 2000s, though I'm sure she had a couple of bit roles before Mike & Molly/Bridesmaids.  Same for Kristen Wiig because she was on SNL and wasn't doing many movies and when she did they were minor roles.  Bridesmaids was only like three and a half years ago.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: January 31, 2015, 02:05:57 PM

Crimany.  Both of these actresses have been acting since early 2000s... go check IMDB. 

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: January 31, 2015, 02:28:33 PM

Just a reminder that there was the Cartoon Series "the REAL Ghostbusters" which carried the franchise along. It was actually quite good but went in a different direction to the movies

Ghostbusters to me was the characters in the move. "Ghostbusters" with tits does nothing for me. Why the everloving fech should I care?

And Ernie Hudson rocked.

Hic sunt dracones.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: January 31, 2015, 03:00:11 PM

Crimany.  Both of these actresses have been acting since early 2000s... go check IMDB. 

Are you suggesting that both did better in bit parts? That's their resumes prior to around 2010. Aside from SNL for Wiig and... Mike and Molly for McCarthy.

beer geek.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: January 31, 2015, 03:03:59 PM

I'm not opposed to an all female or a mixed female/male cast, but holy shit this is an awful casting.

Nostalgia is evidently a mind-cleansing instrument.

Let's take Murray and Ramis. Coming off of a shambolic, sometimes-funny-as-hell-sometimes-Hollywood-dumb film (Stripes), they kind of struck gold. I think without knowing how or why they did. If there had been websites like this in 1981, your spiritual equivalents would have been saying, 'I dunno, sounds kind of dumb'. Even the film itself doesn't really stand up that well to really tough scrutiny. It just...it kind of was what it was. An accident, a glorious accident. There are patches in it that are kind of shit or awful, there's Ernie Hudson doing I don't know what, etcetera.

It's bad to act as if it is reasonable to repeat it--but equally bad to act as if it's impossible to, if you know what I mean. None of you would have expected it to be what it was when it was. So who knows?

Akroyd and Murray, by the time Ghostbusters would have been announced and not counting SNL, had at least made more than one thing that I found entertaining. Wiig and McCarthy have been funny once with Bridesmaides, and have been nothing but annoying and unfunny besides that movie. 

For Ramis (as an actor) and Ernie Hudson I would not have been excited and I'm the same way with McKinnon and Jones where I haven't seen enough of them. However, at least I could have thought "Ramis is writing this? It has hope." I can't do that with the 2016 one since Paul Feig has done all shit but Bridesmaides and Bad Teacher (not great but kind of funny) and Dippold's best work was MadTV.....enough said about her.

Nostalgia isn't clouding judgement as much as it may seem.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #33 on: January 31, 2015, 03:15:01 PM

Yeah, now that you mention it, Melissa McCarthy was spellbinding as "paramedic" in White Oleander.  Such a stirring performance.  It's a shame she isn't getting roles that inspiring anymore.   swamp poop

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: January 31, 2015, 04:10:39 PM

...and this is the first time I've been really tempted to use that idiotic face palm smiley that gets overused here...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Ghostbusters reboot.  
Jump to: