Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:45:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Z Nation 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Z Nation  (Read 3011 times)
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

on: January 21, 2015, 08:12:09 AM

So this just showed up on Netflix here in Canada. Decided I'd take a look. Yeah - I'm still not sure if this was meant to be a parody, a punishment to tv viewers, or a first year film student's pet project. That might have been the worst tv first episode I've seen for a show in a genre that I enjoy.

I snickered slightly at a casual Walking Dead reference half way through. I thought, ok I like DJ Qualls (kind of), so there's that. Acting started off kind of weak (it got worse). By the end - oh my God it was so full of stupid.

I'll put the ending of the episode in a spoiler, just because it will be funny if any of you actually submit yourselves to watching this.

This is actually worth watching the first episode just to see how bad it is.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 08:13:51 AM

Z nation is one of those things thats almost so bad its kinda good. Some of the reactions people have to some situations are stuff I could see mine doing. Like they come across a herd of amish zombies. One of the guys is like amish zombies? really? REALLY?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 08:39:41 AM

It's really terrible in a B movie sort of way, but without quite as much excitement.  Not even comparable to Walking Dead IMO.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 09:36:55 AM

I actually watched the whole season . . .

I think it got better as it went on. The ending of the first episode was indeed appalling and you could imagine some TV execs sitting around saying "hell yeah, this will really shock people!!". It was both dumb and kind of desperate.

But it gets better (a bit). To enjoy the show you have to be willing to accept that it has a B-movie, sub-Tarantino, may or may not actually be a parody vibe.

If anyone's interested, it takes on some of the story lines I think Walking Dead deliberately avoids, such as how did the plague start, is there a cure etc.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 09:38:21 AM

My IT guy at work watches this and says you should think of it as the TV show about zombies Roger Corman would do.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 10:09:49 AM

I love it.  Especially Murphy.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 02:04:54 PM

My IT guy at work watches this and says you should think of it as the TV show about zombies Roger Corman would do.

That sounds about right it has had some funny stuff if one is in the mood and can accept its pretty damn campy it can be enjoyable. The season finale ended at a really hilarious point.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 02:50:37 PM

It reminds me more of something that Sam Raimi would be involved in.  It's no Evil Dead 2 or Army of Darkness but it's good fun in that genre (or whatever you would call it).  I laugh a LOT watching it and I also sometimes say "eww".  AND IT HAS GARTH IN IT!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 04:10:53 PM

Season two has just begun in the UK.

I like the way it's unashamedly fun and silly and, most of all, the humans in it are nice people excpet for the odd actual villain. Being nice is the norm.

Walking Dead is on on Mondays and now this is on on Tuesdays, for me, and wow it really makes the Walking Dead seem depressing!
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 03:16:13 PM

This isn't supposed to be taken seriously.  It's Zombie lite.  I'm enjoying it.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 11:40:46 PM

I've started to like Z Nation more than Walking Dead since it doesn't get bogged down and instead keeps the events going. It's a fun show that doesn't take itself too seriously and the second season so far seems to have even gotten better than the first in some aspects.  awesome, for real
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 19, 2015, 04:11:43 AM

Season 2 of this just ended and I really enjoyed it for the mindless zombie-apocalypse fun it was. I might go as far as to say that this is more my kind of zombie fun than Walking Dead which takes itself far too seriously at times considering the premise.  why so serious?

edit: Z Nation has been renewed for season 3
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 04:13:54 AM by satael »
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 19, 2015, 04:32:01 PM

I like it but I wish a little more would happen to advance the plot.

That said I liked a lot of the gimmick episodes this season - the Mad Max one, the one in the office building, the Alien one, etc.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Z Nation  
Jump to: