Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:51:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Possible some type of f2p incoming? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Possible some type of f2p incoming?  (Read 7452 times)
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

on: December 18, 2014, 06:27:12 PM

Not sure if anyone has seen this or not, but there's been an official post on the WoW forums talking about a way in the future to convert your gold into sub time or buy gold within the same system.  It sounds like Trion's system with Plex or Neverwinter's astral diamond/zen exchange.

"New Ways to Play
We’re exploring the possibility of giving players a way to buy tradable game-time tokens for the purpose of exchanging them in-game with other players for gold. Our current thought on this is that it would give players a way to use their surplus gold to cover some of their subscription cost, while giving players who might have less play time an option for acquiring gold from other players through a legit and secure system. A few other online games offer a similar option, and players have suggested that they’d be interested in seeing something along those lines in WoW. We agree it could be a good fit for the game, and we look forward to any feedback you have as we continue to look into this feature."

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/13113971367
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 10:42:54 PM

Welcome to EVE and Wildstar currency for subscription models and to a lesser extent GW2s cash for gems.

Seems to work ok for them.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 11:11:24 PM

Yeah, but a 10 year old economy that has had gold-spewing dailies for 7-8 of those years?  I can't help but feel they'd have to do some sort of currency devaluation to make this work for WoW.   Otherwise, when they reveal that the prices are 100,000g per month, it'll just scare off anyone who's unsubbed but that this might pull back in.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 11:37:56 PM

Those auction house moguls sitting on billions of gold will have some use for it other than building Scrooge McDuck-style money bins, I guess?

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 05:51:23 AM

Well they don't really have to set a price for the time now do they? They can auction the time via that other AH, and then let the early market decide how much they want to blow out their asses. After that, things might normalize a bit.

I think it's an incredible idea. It provides a real sink for gold, which is the one thing WoW's economy never had.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 06:30:54 AM

I got the sense that someone would have to pay $15 for the 1-month token, and all this would do is let players sell said tokens to one another. Thats a kind of f2p I guess, but it's more like sanctioned RMT than any kind of gold sink.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 09:07:49 AM

I got the sense that someone would have to pay $15 for the 1-month token, and all this would do is let players sell said tokens to one another. Thats a kind of f2p I guess, but it's more like sanctioned RMT than any kind of gold sink.

Not necessarily. You can let players sell them to each other, and you can sell a limited number of them via Blizzard on the Black Market House for an auction fee. This would provide two ways of dumping gold, because the AH would take a cut as well.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Possible some type of f2p incoming?  
Jump to: