Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:52:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Noise cancelling headphones 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Noise cancelling headphones  (Read 5758 times)
murdoc
Terracotta Army

on: December 16, 2014, 07:39:40 AM

We've had a few headphones threads over the years, but figured I'd start one more. My sister is going to Australia in the new year and has asked for nosie cancelling headphones for the 22+ hours worth of flights she is taking. Having read up on them a little it seems that only the very high end ones actually work and I feel she is just asking for noise cancelling without actually knowing what they do.

Anyone here have any experience with them? I feel I may be better served just to get her a really nice quality over-ear headphone and that will do everything she wants it to without being a stupid price. I know she wants a set of Beats but I since I have decided to purchase these for her, I would like to show her that you can get a really high quality, comfortable headphone without paying the premium price for what is popular.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 08:52:52 AM

The BOSE in ear ones are pretty good too, but expect to pay north of $200.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 09:08:36 AM

I have the Bose noise canceling headsets made for airplanes, they are OK but I find that wearing them on my ears for more than an hour or two makes them uncomfortable. I also find the noise canceling itself to be annoying at times.

Today I use in-the-ear headphones, which (for me) are more comfortable: http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K-Isolating-Earphones-MicroDriver/dp/B004PNZFZ8
(I've also put Comply Foam tips on a lower end Shure, which works good too)

Honestly, the international flights aren't that loud. After flying to NZ and back a few times this year, I just wear the headphones provided by the airline to watch yet another movie I never would have watched except I'm stuck in a seat for 13 hours with nothing else to do but read or pretend to sleep.

Alternatively, simple in-ear foamies work great for blocking noise to try and get some sleep or read.

- Viin
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 09:15:40 AM

I have been looking at those Shure 215s instead of an over-ear type design and they might be more what I am looking for.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 09:24:18 AM

I dunno, other than the physical torture of cramped seats, I find that the white noise of the engines and pressurized air system of airplanes is actually conducive to me being able to sleep. Of course, ear plugs are a must if you are a light sleeper. Also, see if your sister can stay drunk for 22 hours. That's the best way and good training for Australia.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 10:25:16 AM

That or spend the 300 dollars to bribe the gate agent for an upgrade to business class..:P

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 10:36:06 AM

If you are also looking at sound isolating in-ear earphones I recommend the Etymotics. I use the HF3 with the foam tips with my iDevices. In my ears those block a substantial amount of outside noise and the sound quality is very good.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 10:59:15 AM

I know this isn't particularly constructive, but I just want to add that I do not like Beats headphones.  Way too much bass without EQ.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 12:08:41 PM

It's all about the bass.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 01:28:25 PM

I know this isn't particularly constructive, but I just want to add that I do not like Beats headphones.  Way too much bass without EQ.

Also ridiculously expensive for what you get.

I think I am going to forgo the noise cancelling stuff and just look for a really solid over the head earphone - she is really against the in-ear ones.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 01:45:52 PM

The over-the-ear ones that seal well tend to be big and bulky. Not very convenient for carrying onto planes. That being said I would recommend the Audio-Technica ATH-M40x. The ear cups have good sound isolation (though that'll vary depending on the size and shape of her head and ears) and it's collapseable. I use the previous generation slightly higher quality sound M50s here at work when I'm doing audio work.
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 02:07:15 PM

I have the Bose QuietComfort 3 headphones. I find them amazing on planes - basically, you put them on and the roar of the engines disappears. Once you have them, it's very difficult to go back to flying any other way.

Having said that, if I were to do it again, I would get in-ear headphones. The QuietComfort ones are just take up too much room in my carry-on bag.

But if you fly a lot, you want noise-cancelling. No question.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 02:48:13 PM

It's all about the bass.

No, treble.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 02:57:21 PM

awesome, for real
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 09:53:32 PM

I need to get a new pair of earphones too! Primarily for listening to podcasts on my phone. I like headphones with a remote and microphone since it lets me take calls and I can pause the track I'm on when I need to talk to someone. They get a lot of use and end up coiled and put into my pocket semi-regularly. It seems at least once a year or more frequently the headphone on the remote/mic side will stop working, I'm guessing a wire coming loose due to getting mashed around. Current ones are RHA 450 and it seems their life is up.

Sound quality really isn't my top priority, I am seriously bad at picking up on distortion or any level of subtlety as long as the music isn't painfully screeching when there's any high notes (and like I said, it's mostly for podcasts). I would like one that can stand up to getting stuck in pockets and has the remote/microphone, in-ear also preferred. Any ideas?

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 10:11:28 PM

Standard iPhone earphones? I use mine every day at work.  You can probably even find someone who has an extra pair or two still in the box (I do!).

- Viin
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 11:43:55 AM

Nowhere, I've been using these for years. The mic is not great quality, but the sound is pretty good for in-ear headsets. 6ish hours of battery life, if active. Idle I think its far more.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 10:13:22 PM

Hmm... I'm not really a fan of bluetooth stuff as a rule but since I seem to keep mangling wires it might be worth considering a switch.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 11:59:01 AM

Just one caveat: the blutooth on that thing has trouble outdoors. You have to have the phone close since it seems that blutooth in general relies on walls to bounce the transmission off of. If your use is primarily indoors, you're golden. Just don't use a microwave around it or it'll kill the signal.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 22, 2014, 08:55:52 AM

Also ridiculously expensive for what you get.

I think I am going to forgo the noise cancelling stuff and just look for a really solid over the head earphone - she is really against the in-ear ones.

If you go for traditional cans I found you can improve them further by replacing the foam seals with gel inserts designed for aviation headsets...
https://www.davidclark.com/HeadsetPgs/accessry.htm

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #20 on: January 07, 2015, 01:37:06 AM

I'd never pay $200+ for headphones if the cables aren't replacable. For one because that is pretty much standard for studio and monitoring headphones in the same price range and I don't see why it shouldn't be possible for consumer headphones also. Secondly because the cables always break at some point, especially when you carry them around in pockets and bags.

Going by the amazon reviews of the Bohse ones, this will be an issue with the QC ones also at some point.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Noise cancelling headphones  
Jump to: