Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:44:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Boom Beach 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Boom Beach  (Read 7496 times)
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

on: December 06, 2014, 04:10:30 AM

Similar in structure to Clash of Clans. Build, attack defend. The differences are enormous, though.

You must protect your headquarters. Once the enemy destroys your HQ, your whole base blows up, rendering a win to the bad guy. The same goes for your attacks. Ideally you just kill the HQ. Trying to flatten the whole base the hard way is nigh impossible as the defenses will eventually chew you down.

The Gunboat is your spells. Every round it starts with a set energy, you have different abilities like simple bombardment, or shooting a flare to direct the attack. As your troops destroy buildings, you replenish energy with every ruined structure. Works pretty well.

There are resource nodes that boost your production, but they are highly contested, and the defenses on them level up every time the island changes hands. Meaning if someone steals the base, if you try to take it back it will be stronger than when you had it. You cannot manually upgrade these island defenses.

The most common complaint about the game is that you can only build or upgrade one thing at a time. No option to purchase more builders or anything like that. Upside being that the upgrades themselves are nowhere near as ridiculous as Clash times.

Great game. Give it a shot.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 02:26:11 PM

I've purposely not posted any of the million CoC clones, but I've always been curious about this one for just the reasons you posted.  How is this better than CoC though?

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 01:45:31 PM

I like it because it forces you to actively protect your base. If you throw your hq out to drop medals, you will lose a fuckton of resources, since an hq kill equals instawin. (also no shield, or revenge function.)

I like that you can guide your troops instead of hoping the plinko god is kind to you.

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 06:07:22 PM

I played this up to like level 25 or so, but tired and quit after that because of repetition fatigue.  Just not enough new things to do.

Why don't you try our other games?
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 01:59:49 AM

New update out. Makes it so Task leaders can put up attack orders on ops, which is spectacular so that the crew knows what the plan is and how to hit. Ops, as usual, are fun and the reward is pretty damn good.

They've also added a flamethrower tank, but I don't know what the early consensus is on that bad boy. Looks like a beast though.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 05:54:55 AM

Do we have a BC Task Force?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 04:04:16 AM

Probably not. Ops are pretty participation dependant, and if Clash is any indication, Bat Country in this game would be a mistake.

Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 03:44:42 PM

Running this alongside CoC.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 12:25:29 PM

I'm having a good time with this. It does have some nice features distinguishing it from CoC. Do I need to be conservative with Diamonds? It looks like I have small amount granted at random when I check the map, and I don't see anything to purchase except rapid construction.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 03:56:41 PM

There are a couple chicken-and-egg problems later where they introduce new resources but the mines require you to upgrade your HQ, which costs a bunch of the resources you can't mine yet. Having a stockpile of diamonds to shortcut that process will save you some grief.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 05:49:00 PM

Thank you. Do we have enough active players for some sort of clan?
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 07:23:18 AM

Probably, but the clan structure in Boom Beach is a bit weak as far as I can see. There's far more benefit to being in a big clan than one with people you know, since you can't donate troops, and the operations don't require nearly as much coordination as clan wars. CoC is far more balanced for small-sized clans in this regard imo

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 01:20:28 PM

Game has interesting mechanics but is missing that hook that CoC has. TF are interesting but slow. I am going to keep playing until I unlock more units but the game has this tendency to drag.

It isn't that I dislike the game? Something is absent.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 02:31:13 PM

I like Boom Beach better because I don't really feel like I need to buy diamonds, in CoC it seemed like I always needed to buy diamonds just to take less than a week to get something done.

- Viin
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 06:30:08 PM

The trickle of diamonds is nice!
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 12:24:00 AM

It's definitely designed to encourage raiding other players, what with gold being pretty easy to get and wood being so rmuch slower. I think having one main point of entry and the lack of walls limits the tactical options compared to CoC. Flares also make it less important learning how to properly manipulate AI, which seems simpler (although I'm still only on basic troop types).

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 12:25:31 PM

Stone! STONE! Ugh. Working on next HQ level but the stone comes in a trickle and one attack would set me back an entire day of accumulation.

The game seems to match based on Victory Points -- since I'm an active player on villages, I'm being matched up with bases 10 experience levels higher. Crazy.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 03:21:07 PM

Yep. After you build something and your stores are low, put your HQ out front to lose some medals.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 08:42:57 PM

Stone! STONE! Ugh. Working on next HQ level but the stone comes in a trickle and one attack would set me back an entire day of accumulation.

The game seems to match based on Victory Points -- since I'm an active player on villages, I'm being matched up with bases 10 experience levels higher. Crazy.

For stone I ended up waiting for a VIP reward and taking all the stone it would give me. Then I finally found a resource base for stone, much better! Now wood is my bottleneck (again).

- Viin
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 10:10:24 AM

As far as I can tell, the resource rewards are worth significantly more than the diamond equivalents for VP or Operation loots. I can't really price gem fragments, but imo the only ones worth going for in the reward choice are ice, maaaaybe dark.

Just had my base reamed by grenadiers, who seem stupidly OP at my level. Need to get two more HQ levels to unlock them though :/

Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 12:24:49 PM

Once I hit HQ9, wood became a problem again. I can see how Stone ceases to be a bottleneck. Oh, Iron!
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 11:52:14 AM

Some of the resource issues are due to the weird way they stagger the upgrades for the sawmill/mine/etc; but equally, getting lucky on resource bases changes the dynamic a lot.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Boom Beach  
Jump to: