Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:51:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam Broadcasting 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Steam Broadcasting  (Read 6905 times)
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

on: December 02, 2014, 06:22:35 PM

It appears Steam might be trying to take a bite out of Twitch's dominance in streaming games.  It's currently a beta version that's being tested so it's not finished yet but looks kind of promising so far.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/15117/

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/2/7321533/steam-broadcasting

Edit: If you can't get it to work and you're running Windows 7, try the link below.  Worked for me.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steambroadcasting/discussions/0/624076027932897551/#c624076027936640699
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 06:55:48 PM by Ginaz »
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 08:49:18 PM

Yeah, this seems like it could be a big deal.  Not going to impact console games, obviously, but considering Steam's market share this could be massive (especially for Dota).  Is it being monetized at all yet, anyone know?  Or is it just another incentive to develop for Steam?
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 12:09:49 AM

Yeah, this seems like it could be a big deal.  Not going to impact console games, obviously, but considering Steam's market share this could be massive (especially for Dota).  Is it being monetized at all yet, anyone know?  Or is it just another incentive to develop for Steam?

No monetized. But it's still only in beta (need to download the Steam Beta client), so who knows what the future holds.

I just tried with a friend (so only person watching).

System: i7 920 @ 3.5 Ghz, 4 cores + Hyper-threading on, 6 MBit/s upstream available
Stream settings: 1920 x 1080 resolution, 3500 kb/s max bandwith

Actual bandwidth use topped out at 2800 kb/s. CPU utilization was surprisingly modest. It went from ~20% game-only to ~50% when streaming, evenly distributed over all 8 cores.

I'd be curious if the streaming runs via a server or is peer-to-peer, ie. do I need double the bandwidth if two people are watching? (Don't think, so but who knows?)

I can see this taking of. Usage was absolutely uncomplicated. Friend right-clicked my name in Steam, selects "Watch Game". I got a popup asking 'allow yes/no'. And that was it.

I'd be a bit careful with the setting "Anyone can watch my games", especially if combined with the option "Record my desktop when not in game".  wink

Overall a really nifty addition.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 12:15:32 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 05:44:50 AM

Easy to tell if it's P2P or server to server.  If there's a 20-30 second delay that most likely means steam's servers are transcoding the video.

I doubt it's P2P though.  Most likely steam is transcoding the video, if for no other reason then to build up the functionality for them to save clips or full videos for later viewing, to keep you in steam longer.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 08:13:59 AM

The Steam front end is much better lately but still not what I would call an awesome software product.  It will be interesting to see if they can manage this.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 02:15:33 PM

I'd be a bit careful with the setting "Anyone can watch my games", especially if combined with the option "Record my desktop when not in game".  wink

Eh, the "anyone can watch" doesn't seem too problematic for me.  I'm not super concerned about the scandal that would break out if strangers realized how bad I am at Dark Souls, and the odds of anyone actually DECIDING to watch are pretty slim.  AFAIK it's not being archived anywhere or anything.

Though yeah, "record my desktop" and "record my microphone" are definitely settings that would need some monitoring.  I'm not even sure how "record my desktop" would work, doesn't it stop broadcasting once you exit the game?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam Broadcasting  
Jump to: