Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:28:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Soylent (the food substitute) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Soylent (the food substitute)  (Read 25325 times)
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: November 28, 2014, 04:43:22 PM

What I'm sure he means is that you can buy Sauerkraut in raw form which you can stew yourself. Already fermented but otherwise unprepared.
Yes. Canned form is disgusting. However they prepare it for canning is too..vinegary? I dunno. Prepared properly it's delicious, out of a can? I've yet to see anyone salvage that.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: November 29, 2014, 08:13:08 PM

What I'm sure he means is that you can buy Sauerkraut in raw form which you can stew yourself. Already fermented but otherwise unprepared.

Sauerkraut isn't cooked in its preperation. The brine you find in the jars is the result of the fermentation process. (or added if your cabbage wasn't juicy enough to cover itself)

What you're describing is literally not possible, because if its not in the brine its either

A) Not sauerkraut

B) in the process of going bad (the brine protects it from doing so)

C) You just took it out of the brine and hopefully are serving it soon.

Sauerkraut that is "raw so you can stew yourself" is motherfucking cabbage. Just like "raw pickles that you can stew yourself" would be a fucking cucumber(though pickling cuces are not tasty) and not a pickle.

It comes in jars because its motherfucking made in jars*!

*Well usually made in crocks, which are not transparent, but same difference. If you're doing it at home, you're probably going to use a jar. Also sometimes it comes in bags, but that bag is still filled with brine. And sometimes it comes in plastic containers, if you go down to the Pike Place Market to buy it out of the barrel but again, that plastic container is going to be filled with brine.

What you're trying to say is "i don't like bad sauerkraut" which is well, totally ok to say, because i don't like bad bourbon. But I sure as shit aren't going to tell you that only fresh bourbon is good and once they put it in barrels for 3 years then it starts to suck.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: November 29, 2014, 10:23:48 PM

Beating a Dead Horse Popcorn

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: November 30, 2014, 07:48:38 AM

f13: We'll argue about anything.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: November 30, 2014, 08:02:46 AM

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: November 30, 2014, 08:15:13 AM

Well I, for one, am fascinated by the sauerkraut discussion.

why so serious?

Real Edit: Speaking of which, this place could use a cooking thread...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 08:16:46 AM by Mandella »
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #76 on: November 30, 2014, 09:07:12 AM

We had one for a long time with Voodoolilly's Snacktastic Thread but after Voodoo's literary career picked up it fell by the wayside.   sad

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: November 30, 2014, 09:25:11 AM

This discussion explains much, though. For example why your Sauerkraut seems to taste like ass, because you make in in jars instead of wood barrels. awesome, for real

Also, yes you take the already fermented Sauerkraut and you put it in a pot and you stew it and do stuff in it to ennoble the taste. Or does your Sauerkraut come pre-packaged with cloves (for example) already and you just put it in the microwave?

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #78 on: November 30, 2014, 10:18:25 AM

Adding cloves, caraway, apples, etc, isn't something people often do in the US, sadly, and apart from a very few examples it doesn't come prepackaged with that either.  As for canned sauerkraut, I agree.  I make my own at home because it's ridiculously easy and it tastes better as well.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: November 30, 2014, 10:44:32 AM

Adding cloves, caraway, apples, etc, isn't something people often do in the US

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: November 30, 2014, 12:44:41 PM

This discussion explains much, though. For example why your Sauerkraut seems to taste like ass, because you make in in jars instead of wood barrels. awesome, for real

Also, yes you take the already fermented Sauerkraut and you put it in a pot and you stew it and do stuff in it to ennoble the taste. Or does your Sauerkraut come pre-packaged with cloves (for example) already and you just put it in the microwave?

If you wanted a different flavor with your kraut you would ferment it with those flavors, the same way you do with pickles. Though i don't think fruit would work well with that method.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #81 on: December 01, 2014, 07:25:06 AM

After my first order of 7 bags, replacing two meals a day as originally outlined, I can say that my stomach has certainly shrunk. Over the Thanksgiving long weekend I did not have any soylent, but I also was satisfied with small portions.  This weekend I only ate two meals a day, a late breakfast at 10am (egg sandwich) and a late lunch at 3pm (leftovers).  There was some side snacking as well with all the extra pie around, but my appetite was noticeably less the last few days compared to my pre-soylent period.

My wife claims that my paunch is a bit less, but my weight is stable. The extra paunch had to go somewhere so maybe she is just imagining it. My brother scoffed at the idea of a smaller paunch but the same weight and I cannot dispute his logic. I am not exercising any more frequently or differently.

I run out as of lunch today, but my new order should be here this week.

I have never played WoW.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #82 on: December 01, 2014, 08:19:49 AM

Good luck, Shiznitz!  Let us know how as it continues.  Are there any side effects using this stuff at all?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: December 01, 2014, 08:29:37 AM

After my first order of 7 bags, replacing two meals a day as originally outlined, I can say that my stomach has certainly shrunk. Over the Thanksgiving long weekend I did not have any soylent, but I also was satisfied with small portions.  This weekend I only ate two meals a day, a late breakfast at 10am (egg sandwich) and a late lunch at 3pm (leftovers).  There was some side snacking as well with all the extra pie around, but my appetite was noticeably less the last few days compared to my pre-soylent period.

The exact same thing will happen if you clean up your diet.  Getting rid of simple carbs, drinking more water, and getting 30 mins of exercise 3x a week will give you fast results for minimal expense. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #84 on: December 01, 2014, 08:52:55 AM

The exact same thing will happen if you clean up your diet.  Getting rid of simple carbs, drinking more water, and getting 30 mins of exercise 3x a week will give you fast results for minimal expense. 

Is the effort worth the savings though? Some people just do not enjoy food (buying, storing, preparing, and/or eating). Don't know what to tell you if you can't fathom that. If there is an easier shortcut that you can justify throwing money at... then I say have at it - it's your coin, throw it at whatever you want. Some people don't think of a car as anything more than a mode of transport to and from home, others pour 10s of thousands of dollars into it without a hesitation.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: December 01, 2014, 09:39:03 AM

Is the effort worth the savings though? Some people just do not enjoy food (buying, storing, preparing, and/or eating). Don't know what to tell you if you can't fathom that. If there is an easier shortcut that you can justify throwing money at... then I say have at it - it's your coin, throw it at whatever you want. Some people don't think of a car as anything more than a mode of transport to and from home, others pour 10s of thousands of dollars into it without a hesitation.

My concern is that these prepackaged fad diets don't take everything into consideration.  Food is very complex chemically and our body needs more than calories from protein, fat, and carbs.  Fiber delivery, good bacteria for our digestive tract, complex and simple carbs, etc.  If I thought drinking a shake twice a day would give me what my body needs, I'd probably do it too. 

The saving grace of this stuff is that it's partial meal replacement.  You're still having at least one normal meal a day... which is good.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #86 on: December 01, 2014, 10:19:53 AM

Good luck, Shiznitz!  Let us know how as it continues.  Are there any side effects using this stuff at all?

I have not experienced any side effects at all.

I have never played WoW.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #87 on: December 01, 2014, 10:22:42 AM

I do not disagree with you at all, but I am unwilling to make the effort to clean up my diet since that would involve eating food I find distasteful.  Soylent is me cleaning up my diet in a way that is much more tolerable to me.

I have never played WoW.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: December 01, 2014, 10:35:27 AM

I do not disagree with you at all, but I am unwilling to make the effort to clean up my diet since that would involve eating food I find distasteful.  Soylent is me cleaning up my diet in a way that is much more tolerable to me.

Which I commented on in my very next post.  I wish you all the best and am happy to answer any questions you have along the way.

-  Mark Twain
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #89 on: December 01, 2014, 01:32:26 PM

My concern is that these prepackaged fad diets don't take everything into consideration.  Food is very complex chemically and our body needs more than calories from protein, fat, and carbs.  Fiber delivery, good bacteria for our digestive tract, complex and simple carbs, etc.  If I thought drinking a shake twice a day would give me what my body needs, I'd probably do it too. 

The saving grace of this stuff is that it's partial meal replacement.  You're still having at least one normal meal a day... which is good.

Completely agree. However, most people's diet, I'd only wager a guess, is hardly including everything into consideration as well - given the fast food staple and vending machine habits I see everywhere. I am not one for fad diets either, but the one thing they try and do is make people aware of what they are eating and what they are lacking... only the fad diets cover up the new lacking parts. But at least it gets people thinking about what they are eating.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: December 01, 2014, 02:13:23 PM

I still can't get my head around the fact that there could be anything more distasteful than this shit. There are so many delicious and easy options out there to clean up your diet with.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #91 on: December 01, 2014, 02:46:54 PM

About 3 and a half hours ago I had a soylent lunch after 4 and a half days without.  I am not feeling particularly well right now.  I would report my nausea as a 3 or 4 on a 10 point scale, with 10 being an intense feeling of imminent puking.

I have never played WoW.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #92 on: December 12, 2014, 07:59:19 PM

I still can't get my head around the fact that there could be anything more distasteful than this shit. There are so many delicious and easy options out there to clean up your diet with.

Post some then. It'd be better than seeing you endlessly bitching in this thread.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #93 on: December 12, 2014, 08:15:56 PM

About 3 and a half hours ago I had a soylent lunch after 4 and a half days without.  I am not feeling particularly well right now.  I would report my nausea as a 3 or 4 on a 10 point scale, with 10 being an intense feeling of imminent puking.

Did the same thing happen when you first started using (that somehow seems like a better verb than "eating") soylent?  Is there some sort of acclimation phase you're supposed to go through before your body produces the enzymes needed to process the stuff?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: December 15, 2014, 04:22:25 AM

Is this soylent stuff high in iron?  That can often cause some gastric distress.

-  Mark Twain
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #95 on: December 15, 2014, 12:55:14 PM

Iron listed at 40% per serving, same as calcium.  While that might cause gastric distress in some people, my pre-soylent diet was heavy on red meat (easily 4-6 meals a week) so it should not have been a shock to my system.

BTW, I have been waiting for 3 weeks for my refill order to come. In the meantime, I have reverted to my old, poor eating habits albeit with smaller portions.  My weight didn't drop while on soylent but since I went off, I have dropped a few pounds. I don't have a good explanation for this.

I have never played WoW.
schild
Administrator

Reply #96 on: December 15, 2014, 02:20:58 PM

In the meantime, I have reverted to my old, poor eating habits albeit with smaller portions.  My weight didn't drop while on soylent but since I went off, I have dropped a few pounds. I don't have a good explanation for this.

Yes you do.

smaller portions

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #97 on: December 15, 2014, 02:38:34 PM

Surely weight loss can't be THAT simple.   why so serious?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #98 on: December 15, 2014, 03:39:12 PM

Just cut off limbs you're not using and you'll lose weight fast.  I've considered it in the past. 

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: December 15, 2014, 03:57:17 PM

I'm not using a whole lot of people's limbs, but I don't see how cutting them off would make me lighter.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #100 on: December 15, 2014, 04:22:54 PM

It's the exercise.
schild
Administrator

Reply #101 on: December 15, 2014, 04:57:58 PM

I'd rather buy a really sharp, preferably automatic, cutting implement than "work" for it.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #102 on: December 15, 2014, 06:22:56 PM

A human leg weighs anywhere between 20 and 30 pounds.  You know, depending on if your a man or a woman and how fat the leg is.  I reckon if you're a man who has fat legs and you're 30 - 40 pounds overweight... problem sorted.  And you don't do this yourself, you find a dodgy surgeon to do it for you.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #103 on: December 16, 2014, 08:45:19 AM

What fascinates me the most is that where I live I couldn't eat fast food every day even if I wanted to. In stupid Italy out of the more touristy areas chains in general are not popular at all yet, the closest McDonald's or equivalent is many kilometers away, vending machines are non-existent outside of train stations, and the local equivalent of fast and shitty food ranges from "some ingredients are processed" to "completely fresh".

Looks like over there chains and fast foods forced smaller and more local business to close, manipulating whoever has a lunch break like Shiznitz to pick between one or another chain of equally processed-to-death food. Me, I am lazy as fuck and I hate preparing my own food, and yet during my short lunch break I couldn't get processed crap even if I wanted as every small cafe or pizza place makes its own stuff out of fresh produce, bread, etc., not because it's cheaper for them or for the customers but simply because it would be unthinkable otherwise. And still, I pay between 6 to 9 euros, coffee and water included.

Nothing new here, but it's crazy how business and capitalism have been methodically killing the diets and health of the people living in the US, while tradition and laziness are still relatively preserving it here so far (SO FAR). I will really miss this once I move to there.

Please bear in mind that I don't like borders, I do not support nationalisms of any kind and I burn flags whenever I have a chance, so I am not in any way slandering one country and their people or claiming the greatness of another.

apocrypha
Terracotta Army

Planes? Shit, I'm terrified to get in my car now!

Reply #104 on: December 16, 2014, 10:01:19 AM

Someone asked on Reddit the other day "Why isn't there a human equivalent of the tins of 'all your dog needs' dog food?". There is, it's Soylent. Enjoy your human-food.  why so serious?

"Bourgeois society stands at the crossroads, either transition to socialism or regression into barbarism" - Rosa Luxemburg, 1915.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Soylent (the food substitute)  
Jump to: