Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:55:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Overwatch 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 235256 times)
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: November 22, 2015, 10:17:14 PM

Played a friends version today. It's not TF2 but it's not... as much fun as Paladins. The latter feels rougher in terms of UI and frontend and has a very liimited number of characters but it's just more fun and I'm digging the card system. Paladins' map feels a lot better in terms of gameplay flow. I'm not surprised because Hires has learned from Smite (although I still haven't forgiven them for the mess they made of Tribes).

I'm hoping Overwatch doesn't ship in this format because at the back of my mind is the thought that these are Titan assets they are trying to salvage and this is the first real Blizzard attempt at this genre based on a game that didn't work and TBH, it just doesn't feel like a game I will commit to.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #211 on: November 22, 2015, 10:31:41 PM

This game's gonna get stuck in a trap where pickup players and low skill players will just mash their heads against defense and fail and feel bad, whereas good players in coordinated teams will be able to slam right through defenses.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #212 on: November 23, 2015, 06:16:08 AM

This game's gonna get stuck in a trap where pickup players and low skill players will just mash their heads against defense and fail and feel bad, whereas good players in coordinated teams will be able to slam right through defenses.

My thoughts exactly. I don't have faith that Blizzard can figure out the matchmaking.

That said, I had a blast playing it this weekend. The movement skills feel great and the weapons feel solid to fire.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: November 23, 2015, 06:45:08 AM

I basically found it to be equivalent to TF2 in this regard.  As I was saying in my previous post, I was playing a lot of junk rat and a lot of times I would take out a turret and / or Bastion and my team would just... sit there... instead of attacking the point.  By the time they figured out what was going on he'd just respawn.  But you get those onesided matches in TF2 sometimes too, and it's fine.  Although there things like scramble teams exist and with players dropping in and out of the server all the time it's a bit different.  TF2 also has the ubercharge, so that plays a big role in breaking/holding defenses.  You know, I'm just talking myself into reinstalling TF2 right now.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #214 on: November 23, 2015, 07:58:31 AM

There's also heroes who basically gigantic traps for bad players like Bastion who seems really great until you come up against people who know how to play. Then there's heroes with really high skill ceilings that when reached will let people basically just pubstomp with relative impunity.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: November 23, 2015, 08:38:56 AM

There's also heroes who basically gigantic traps for bad players like Bastion who seems really great until you come up against people who know how to play. Then there's heroes with really high skill ceilings that when reached will let people basically just pubstomp with relative impunity.

Again, a similarity, not difference, with TF2.  My prediction is we see a lot of Luscio and Mercy combined with a lot of Parah and Junkrat.  Tracer probably has a role here somewhere because I can't imagine a character with that much mobility not managing to find some place (see also: scout).  Having a single tank actually does make a fair amount of sense, but I am not sure which one I think is likely to play that role yet.  D. Va's ultimate is very strong and that might play a role in displacing enemy teams, Reinhardt's shield is probably absurdly good when used with a team that actually knows what it is doing, but I haven't seen that in practice yet.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #216 on: November 23, 2015, 09:53:47 AM

Reinhardt seemed absurdly good in The one game I played. His pin charge is almost an insta kill in anyone and is how I got my three kills.  His shield recharged fast and takes a ton of damage to bring down and has a wide field of blockage.

His problem is he IS a tank and public groups have no idea how to teamwork. I'd have the shield going and my team would either hang back or fire into it instead of focusing on the enemy who had to come around the sides now.

The opposite side picked up a Reinhardt after he saw me pin and block and they just decimated us after that.

Yeah it was only one game but seeing a team with a few working together against my own pug of Rambos they just stopped us cold as soon as they realized what a tank does.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: November 23, 2015, 10:59:26 AM

I did see some neat synergy with Zarya and D.Va with both heroes using their ults in succession to pull the entire team into the blast radius (Zarya's ultimate is a black hole thing, D.Vas is setting her mech to self destruct killing everyone in the blast radius).  I suspect there are some other synergies/"wombo combos" out there that need to be worked out.  That particular combo broke our defense at one of the capture points.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: November 23, 2015, 11:10:09 AM

I think Overwatch is going to be to FPS what HOTS is to MOBAs.  It's a fun little game.  It's just not going to live up to Blizzard's expectations.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: November 23, 2015, 02:42:25 PM

Reinhardt seemed absurdly good in The one game I played.

Yeah, he seemed basically like the "win" button for payload objectives.  Stand with the cart, put up your shield, and let the rest of your team shoot around you.  If you've got a decent healer who glances your way every few minutes you never die, and neither will anyone behind you, which is a huge help if your team doesn't have great coordination (which you need with most of the other defensive specials).

Played with Symmetra some more and I'm liking her more and more.  Her teleporter isn't super useful in a lot of situations, but her shields always are.  Her turrets are nowhere near Tor's level, but she can plop them down constantly and on ambush surfaces like walls/ceilings for some nasty traps.  Her weapon is a lot better than Tor's gun, too, I find.  Tears up almost anyone at close range and can smash stationary targets at long range if you charge it.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: November 23, 2015, 04:33:46 PM

I think Overwatch is going to be to FPS what HOTS is to MOBAs.  It's a fun little game.  It's just not going to live up to Blizzard's expectations.

I'm not sure why they've gone the more TF2 route. Sure, TF2 gets played a little still, but it's not that big. Meanwhile CS is getting bigger and bigger every year, and has demonstrated many ways to make money.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #221 on: November 23, 2015, 05:17:17 PM

I finally got out of BAD LAND into NOT EXACTLY BAD land and actually got some of my fucking twitch muscles back from sheer atrophy and started to see a complete reversal in how effectively I could utilize pharah. She has a valley; at low skill levels you can just noisomely spam rockets and do ok. At medium levels you will just get erased by exposure counters. At high levels and with team coordination she's probably a fucking nightmare, if my aerial terror campaigns and concussion discombobulations were any indication.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #222 on: November 24, 2015, 03:32:13 AM

Nobody in the beta knew how to look up when I played so if you just stay vertical as Pharah you can rack up kills.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: April 15, 2016, 07:58:47 PM

Beta test this weekend, 15-16 April, fyi.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: April 15, 2016, 09:11:34 PM

This is good! I've been playing the stress test weekend and it's nice and polished. Paladins has a long way to go to catch up.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: April 15, 2016, 09:26:22 PM

Got in the beta this weekend.  Good game.  Definitely not for old men.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #226 on: April 15, 2016, 10:26:15 PM

Servers are pretty unstable for me so far (booted prematurely out of two games so far).

And whoever thought it was good idea to have movement abilities and non-movement abilities both bound to SHIFT is an idiot.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: April 16, 2016, 12:27:08 AM

Got in the beta this weekend.  Good game.  Definitely not for old men.

That's my only problem with twitch based games now. I know I was quicker in my 30s :D As I move closer to 50 I've found that I need to get new glasses for gaming unless I want to play World of Warships for the rest of my life

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: April 16, 2016, 12:29:44 AM

This is good! I've been playing the stress test weekend and it's nice and polished. Paladins has a long way to go to catch up.

I actually prefer Paladins over...Overwatch.  I didn't like any of the tank classes and as Trippy mentioned, having movement and non-movement abilities bound to shift is a bad idea imo.  I also got booted from the training room because "game lasted too long" or something.  Not overly impressed so far and I doubt I'll be pre-ordering.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: April 16, 2016, 01:31:49 AM

The server issues and things are allegedly an intended part of the beta.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/19973717250
FRIENDLY REMINDER: As this is a stress test, please anticipate uneven game performance and server instability, and note that restarts and downtime may occur without warning. One of our goals for this test is to really push our hardware to the limit, and these side effects are all part of the process.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #230 on: April 16, 2016, 01:43:33 PM

Is it just me or is Bastion way OP?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: April 16, 2016, 02:20:22 PM

Is it just me or is Bastion way OP?

Maybe a little.

High school kids jacked up on Mt Dew are far more OP.  I suck at FPS.

-  Mark Twain
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: April 16, 2016, 02:23:57 PM

Bastion goes down pretty easy to demoman or um, quake rocket launcher woman. Yes, this is how I think about the characters.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: April 16, 2016, 02:31:59 PM

Bastion goes down pretty easy to demoman or um, quake rocket launcher woman. Yes, this is how I think about the characters.

Her NAME is Spinfusor chick from Tribes, you ruffian

edot: spellang
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 02:38:46 PM by Kail »
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: April 17, 2016, 01:30:52 AM

Spinfusor bestfusor!

I loved that fucking Frisbee of death.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: April 17, 2016, 04:51:15 AM

In general I think the updates they made to the game since the last time I played it were quite good. The classes felt better, on average. The new maps are pretty decent. I pre-ordered and am looking forward to this.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #236 on: April 17, 2016, 10:34:43 AM

Route 66 was a shitty map IMO.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: April 17, 2016, 01:29:52 PM

Yeah, I generally had a blast.  Looking forward to the next beta on the 3rd or whenever.

I don't know if it's just because I'm a noob that sucks, but there were a few changes I have minor gripes with:

Lucio feels like he was nerfed in to the ground, or I'm just misremembering.  His heals are terrible now, to the point where I would seriously, no exaggerations take Soldier 76 as a better healer AND better offensive character.

Symmetra's shields look like they're kind of in a similar place, I have no idea if they do anything now.  They add like 1 pip to the lifebar.  I won't say she sucks, though, because her turret spam is more hilarious than ever and her teleporter is game winning even though it charges way slower than it used to.  If the enemy kills the teleporter she's kinda screwed, but there are maps (like Route66) where you can pin the enemy team behind a bottleneck and they can't get to it.  But it feels weird for the game to be yelling at you in the team select screen to get a "support" character and once you pick Symmetra the game is like "Oh, good, she's basically as good as Mercy at keeping her teammates up, check that box off the to-do list".

D.Va and Genji seemed like pretty junky characters, too.  Maybe I just need to get good at them, but both of them seemed pretty behind the curve in terms of "damage they can deal versus how hard it is to kill them"

My personal "holy shit this character is OP" vote is Junkrat.  He's the counter to half the characters in the game (Symmetra, Bastion, Torbjorn, anyone who relies on LoS), his damage is crazy and he's essentially unbeatable if you fight him in an enclosed area.  He just finds some safe spot and lobs grenades over a wall or through a doorway or something the whole round and nobody can touch him because he's behind cover.  Sometimes he'll ult and get another few free kills from a completely unreachable position.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: April 17, 2016, 02:16:51 PM

Junkrat, Pharaoh, and Tracer all feel quite strong to me due to having very high mobility. I tend to beat this drum a lot, but mobility is worth a TON FPS games and I think is generally undervalued, and drastically increases the skill cap on a character. Junkrat is basically Demoman, and demoman is similarly overpowered. I think their weapons are balanced on the idea that its harder to hit with them in deathmatch situations, but that really only applies to bad players.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: April 18, 2016, 07:27:41 AM

Cynical me wonders how much of the "every nationality gets a character" is just to sell more copies globally.

Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: April 18, 2016, 08:52:24 AM

Cynical me wonders how much of the "every nationality gets a character" is just to sell more copies globally.

Well, yes?

Same reason Civ always goes out of its way to make sure every area gets represented.

What's wrong with the fact that putting more nationalities into the game results in more sales? Surely that's good pressure, and an appropriate response to market forces?
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: April 18, 2016, 10:38:42 AM

Yeah, kind of a weird thing to bring up too. A game has a diverse set of characters? Something fishy must be going on!  Ohhhhh, I see.

But really, I don't even think there is a discussion to be had here, the characters are pretty cool.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #242 on: April 18, 2016, 12:05:32 PM

So is the game like HOTS in that you level up characters?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #243 on: April 18, 2016, 01:48:43 PM

No in-game or out-of-game hero levels in Overwatch. You do level up your account to unlock loot chests which give you random cosmetic items.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #244 on: April 18, 2016, 02:24:40 PM

It may be a net negative given how badly some of the characters are voiced/portrayed. E.g. Hanzo doesn't know how to pronounce "arigato" properly. He says "ah-ree-gah-tay-oh" instead of "ah-ree-gah-toh". And Mei sounds like she's voiced by at least 3 different people (at least her Mandarin is decent).
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Overwatch  
Jump to: