Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:38:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: The Old Republic, now an even better single-player game. 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Old Republic, now an even better single-player game.  (Read 177468 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #315 on: April 01, 2017, 01:04:57 AM

Aye.

Strangely fun at the mo.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #316 on: April 01, 2017, 04:36:06 PM

So my Jedi Consular Sage is level 43, and last level I clicked on Combat Proficiencies. At that point, I realized I could spec into something beyond Sage, and chose telekinesis, and BAM things die even faster.

I am at about level 30 in my storyline arc. I have a ship that I can play space battles in! And it's easy enough for me to handle without the frustration of learning to dock a starship.

There is so much in this game. I feel like Mr. Magoo bumbling around in it. I'm surprised it is not more popular.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #317 on: April 02, 2017, 02:06:12 PM

You can respec ?

ACK!

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #318 on: April 03, 2017, 06:31:50 AM

I hadn't even realized there were even specs, much less respecs.

My Jedi Consular TK Sage is now 50 but storyline about 34, I think. I started a Sith Inquisitor Assassin and went Darkness at 10. I also realized there is such a thing as rested xp. (I like the Sith Inquisitor storyline better so far; JC has become tedious although I like the playstyle a lot).

Playing with the crafting system.

I bought a stronghold apartment, and am having fun furnishing it.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #319 on: April 03, 2017, 09:02:18 AM

I loved the assassin from both gameplay and story. While sometimes it's fun to wade through hordes of mobs, sometimes you just want to get in and out quickly.

And the assassin is great for tackling tough groups because he felt almost like an eq illusionist at times with memory wipes. Used to be able to break up the group individually, soloed a bunch of the pre-nerf group content with my assassin (which geared him decently allowing him to take even more).

Not sure how much they've changed it, this was a couple major revisions ago.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #320 on: April 03, 2017, 12:08:43 PM

I hadn't even realized there were even specs, much less respecs.

My Jedi Consular TK Sage is now 50 but storyline about 34, I think. I started a Sith Inquisitor Assassin and went Darkness at 10. I also realized there is such a thing as rested xp. (I like the Sith Inquisitor storyline better so far; JC has become tedious although I like the playstyle a lot).

Playing with the crafting system.

I bought a stronghold apartment, and am having fun furnishing it.

The Inquisitor storyline was a lot of fun. The Warrior was OK but I stalled out on it to run through the SI instead.  Bounty Hunter was generally MEH. someday I'll go back and finish Republic Trooper which was just getting good when I was distracted by some WOW expansion or travel.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: April 03, 2017, 09:51:02 PM

I thought I might download SWTOR and give it a whirl again, some hack-n-slash sounds like a good break from Rocket League. But, apparently you can't reset your password if you had a security code tied to your account in the past. There is a way to remove an old security code, that is, if you knew your password. And since I can't log in, I can't even subscribe so that I can open a support ticket to remove the old security code.. so I guess I'm SOL!

- Viin
tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #322 on: April 04, 2017, 03:13:49 AM

No idea if this will help but swtor accounts are the same as ea/origin - have you tried doing a password reset from there rather than the swtor site/launcher?
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: April 04, 2017, 06:02:03 AM

I thought I might download SWTOR and give it a whirl again, some hack-n-slash sounds like a good break from Rocket League. But, apparently you can't reset your password if you had a security code tied to your account in the past. There is a way to remove an old security code, that is, if you knew your password. And since I can't log in, I can't even subscribe so that I can open a support ticket to remove the old security code.. so I guess I'm SOL!

Try emailing support@SWTOR.com?

I want to add a security thingie to my account for an extra 100 cartel coins/month, but not if I can't ever reset my password in the future.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #324 on: April 04, 2017, 06:54:22 AM

So I've got two of my chars to 70 - my solo Bounty Hunter (who's fucking awesome and I don't care what you say, I enjoy the story) and my Sith Tank, who levels with the wife.

I enjoyed the story, but then you run screeching into 'The Hutt Cartel' and it would seem to miss little by skipping it.  So FUCKING SKIP IT.  IT'S AWFUL.

Then you're into Revan stuff and, like it or not, it's actually really well done thus far and has a story that drags you along.

I really, really wanted just to skip ahead to the new stuff, but Revan is keeping me here for the moment and Goddamn if opening Command Crates isn't fun as hell.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: April 04, 2017, 07:19:59 AM

What are command crates?

I just discovered that each character has a Sprint command. (Jedi Sage is now 56; Sith Inq is 21. Found it on my Inq first.)
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #326 on: April 04, 2017, 07:44:41 AM

You can call them by phone, at least that's what I did a year ago. It was quick and painless at that time; no wait on hold and was off the phone in ~2min. If that option is available still, try it!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: April 04, 2017, 08:04:24 AM

What are command crates?

I just discovered that each character has a Sprint command. (Jedi Sage is now 56; Sith Inq is 21. Found it on my Inq first.)

Once you hit 70, you no longer get conventional loot drops, but crates that contain 5 random items.

Oddly, it's much more fun, rewarding and better than the old system.  I like it.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: April 04, 2017, 08:10:08 AM

You can call them by phone, at least that's what I did a year ago. It was quick and painless at that time; no wait on hold and was off the phone in ~2min. If that option is available still, try it!

I shot them an email, we'll see if they hit me back!

No idea if this will help but swtor accounts are the same as ea/origin - have you tried doing a password reset from there rather than the swtor site/launcher?

Maybe my account is too old (created when SWTOR launched years .. ? .. ago), it doesn't seem to be linked to an Origin account. Oh well, we'll see if the support guys will help out.

- Viin
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: April 04, 2017, 08:21:00 AM

Got a different but password related issue myself. I connect to MMOs through a cellular wireless account, and for some reason it always trips their account protection system. Every time I log in I have to jump through the password reset hoops, and that is just a little too much effort.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: April 04, 2017, 09:51:19 PM

I ended up creating a new account. Not sure if using my old account would have gotten my anything anyways. Ah well.

So .. much .. running. (And annoyed the sprint ability isn't bound to a key!)

- Viin
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: April 05, 2017, 01:01:47 AM

Dude, it's a toggle ?  And it should never be off ?

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #332 on: April 05, 2017, 06:59:52 AM

There are two sprints. One is called Sprint and is a toggle that increases out of combat speed (that's the one I found at level 56 after discovering it on my level 21 - I think it comes at 14). The other is a power that lasts a few seconds with a 30 second cooldown (Force Speed for Jedi Consular, comes at level 16).
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #333 on: April 05, 2017, 08:36:24 AM

Yeah, I have that on my Consular.

So, you know, bind it to a key ?

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: April 06, 2017, 08:05:12 AM

What's the toggle? None of the typical ones worked for me. Didn't see a control map either, but I was in hurry and only took a quick glance at preferences.

- Viin
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #335 on: April 06, 2017, 08:38:59 AM

Travel is so much better than it used to be, though.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #336 on: April 06, 2017, 02:19:50 PM

What's the toggle? None of the typical ones worked for me. Didn't see a control map either, but I was in hurry and only took a quick glance at preferences.

It's "Run' I think.. I'm 90% certain it's under general skills if it's not on your toolbar.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #337 on: April 06, 2017, 05:26:14 PM

It's under Jedi Consular (or whatever class you are) and available at the beginning.

Sprint. Put it on a quickbar and toggle it.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: April 06, 2017, 05:33:32 PM

Yeah I found it, thanks! FYI: Not available until level 10 for non-premium characters.

- Viin
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #339 on: April 07, 2017, 02:16:13 PM

The Shadow of Revan stuff was actually quite good.  The latest Eternal Empire stuff.... well, it's a shift, that's for sure.

Great storyline, but there's not much actual 'game' there and, worse, there's certainly no 'multiplayer' game there.

I'm on about Chapter 12 or so and, frankly, I'm kinda underwhelmed.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: April 10, 2017, 05:30:28 AM

I played the hell out of this game for the first year after release.  Having gone back to it on several occasions since, I still see the same issues with content, the same bugs, and the same lack of endgame fun that was there years ago.  It's painfully obvious that SWTOR is in maintanence mode with little new to get excited about.  Shame really, this had the potential to be a very good game for a long time.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: April 10, 2017, 11:05:55 AM

I haven't really played it as an MMO at all. There is a new raid coming out tomorrow, I think - the first in a couple of years? I have no interest in doing that, though, because my interest in MMOs is more along the exploration/crafting/story lines than endgame/raiding lines.

My 70 Jedi Consular is in the 40s level in the storyline (Chapter 3). Haven't touched any of the expansions' contents yet.

I've played a few other classes to see what they're about, but haven't gone past 20s on them. They're all fun, but Trooper Commando is especially so, with aoe explody damage.

I don't know how long I'll play but I've already gotten my 15 bucks out of it (one month sub).
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #342 on: April 10, 2017, 11:34:46 AM

If you're mainly interested in the story then the 1-50 class storylines are still by far the best content in the game.  I'd definitely recommend doing the Imperial Agent one if you plan to continue playing after the Consular since it's widely regarded as the best in the game.  Although if you plan on playing some of the other classes you might want to leave IA til last as it ties together threads from the others iirc.  The Sith Inquisitor can be a lot of fun too, if you like delivering lines absolutely dripping with sarcasm. And randomly shocking people with lightning just because you can  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #343 on: April 10, 2017, 12:38:20 PM

I haven't really played it as an MMO at all. There is a new raid coming out tomorrow, I think - the first in a couple of years? I have no interest in doing that, though, because my interest in MMOs is more along the exploration/crafting/story lines than endgame/raiding lines.

My 70 Jedi Consular is in the 40s level in the storyline (Chapter 3). Haven't touched any of the expansions' contents yet.

I've played a few other classes to see what they're about, but haven't gone past 20s on them. They're all fun, but Trooper Commando is especially so, with aoe explody damage.

I don't know how long I'll play but I've already gotten my 15 bucks out of it (one month sub).

Yeah I've never had any interest in MMO endgame content (aside from Realm vs. Realm stuff in DAOC I guess). Shit like memorizing boss fights, DPS rotations, and gear progression all make my eye twitch.

Also there's apparently a news story/rumor making the rounds today that there's a new KOTOR in the works from Bioware Austin.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #344 on: May 08, 2017, 04:24:15 PM

I picked this back up. I have no idea what I'm doing. Last time I played, even briefly, was back when strongholds had just come out.

It appears you don't have to gear companions anymore (yay!). I sold a lot of excess stuff. I continued my Hoth missions. I took ages to figure out how to summon a vehicle, and my spec confuses me. It does seem simpler.

is there a way to handle heroics without spamming looking for group? Because I get...antsy...if I don't finish all the quests, and I still have heroics from the previous planet to finish.

I do enjoy just getting to assign your companions roles. I might have to switch off of the one I've been stuck with to a new one.
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #345 on: May 08, 2017, 06:39:10 PM

I picked this back up. I have no idea what I'm doing. Last time I played, even briefly, was back when strongholds had just come out.

It appears you don't have to gear companions anymore (yay!). I sold a lot of excess stuff. I continued my Hoth missions. I took ages to figure out how to summon a vehicle, and my spec confuses me. It does seem simpler.

is there a way to handle heroics without spamming looking for group? Because I get...antsy...if I don't finish all the quests, and I still have heroics from the previous planet to finish.

I do enjoy just getting to assign your companions roles. I might have to switch off of the one I've been stuck with to a new one.

I leveled up several characters for the first time a few months back and never had any trouble soloing heroics (I think they've buffed companions significantly?).  Set your companion of choice to the Healer role and have at it.

most often known as Drevik
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #346 on: May 09, 2017, 01:17:14 AM

Yes they buffed companions and changed heroics so that they are all solo friendly for leveling.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #347 on: May 09, 2017, 01:47:51 AM

Also, due to the scaling and the end level rewards, there are plenty of level 70's doing heroics to get lewts.  So you'll find a pal when you zone in anyway.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #348 on: May 09, 2017, 09:13:09 PM

Awesome. Also I had to spend all my money on crafting schematics because they redid that too. And like...nothing I had would level my guy.

Oh well. All fixed. I found some...starfightery thing I'll look at later.

In the meantime, I'm gonna play around with my Jedi Knight and try out some of the companions I hadn't really been able to use before. Except that protocol droid. That guy looks annoying.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #349 on: May 09, 2017, 10:52:41 PM

So...you kind kind of play this game now by just playing the main story lines?  I never got past 50 something in the original Sith Warrior line, just got MMO fatigue.  You people are making it sound interesting again.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: The Old Republic, now an even better single-player game.  
Jump to: