Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:55:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Long Dark, no zombie survival game 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Long Dark, no zombie survival game  (Read 23287 times)
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

on: September 22, 2014, 10:14:41 PM

I've been reading about this game for awhile and noticed that its now on Steam early access.  Its a survival game that puts you in the northern wild and forces you to explore the world to find resources and shelter in order to survive the cold, hunger, fatigue, wild animals and other things can kill you.  Single player only as of now and I don't know if there are any plans for multiplayer. 

http://store.steampowered.com/app/305620/
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 11:38:58 PM

I've been waiting for a year for this game!

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 11:48:47 PM

I've been waiting for a year for this game!

Me too.  I broke down and bought it.  Not too bad so far but it still needs work.  Also, fuck wolves. Mob
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 09:32:02 AM

You need to get Liam Neesons up in that piece.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 12:35:11 PM

This may be the game I've been in the mood for.  I wonder if any of my survival stuff will actually help?  How twitchy is it? 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 04:58:33 PM

How does it compare to Don't Starve? besides apples and oranges, I mean - is it fun? I've played Don't Starve plenty and still enjoy it.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 06:25:45 AM

That looks pretty nifty. I like the graphical style and also it has wood stoves.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 07:11:55 AM

I know!  Wood Stoves!!  How can you not LOVE it!?!1!

Have I told you lately how weird you are, Sky?   awesome, for real

It really does look fun, though.  And a little bit scary.  Maybe it will toughen me up a bit for the new Silent Hill, which I will play, alone, in the dark, happily terrified.  I'm sure Sky will play it by the glow of his wood stove, the bastard.  I want a wood stove, too.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 11:39:20 AM

I would play a game where you're movie Liam Neeson. That's a great starting point for a design.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 03:59:57 PM

Then you'd know the player dies in the end.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 04:21:16 PM

You're thinking of Sean Bean.

-Rasix
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 04:43:55 PM

Well, that's the joke, but Liam did bite it in The Grey. Maybe. Probably.
Rasix

Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 04:57:03 PM

Never saw it.  Now I don't need to.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 06:21:11 PM

I'm so confused.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 08:59:54 PM

I'm so confused.

Basically...fuck wolves.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 07:23:41 AM

Both Sean Bean and Liam Neeson.  Neeson's done a little better with his recent string of action movies, but his death count is still pretty high.

Any movie we see with them in it we're like, "Woo, [Sean | Liam]!  Fuck.  They're going to die, aren't they?"

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 08:14:08 AM

i like how wolves remain a staple foe in zillions of games despite the fact that they are less dangerous to humans than toothpicks are IRL
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 08:22:44 AM

Really? I don't know much about these things. Even wolves actually starved to death?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 09:37:53 AM

I know!  Wood Stoves!!  How can you not LOVE it!?!1!

Have I told you lately how weird you are, Sky?   awesome, for real

It really does look fun, though.  And a little bit scary.  Maybe it will toughen me up a bit for the new Silent Hill, which I will play, alone, in the dark, happily terrified.  I'm sure Sky will play it by the glow of his wood stove, the bastard.  I want a wood stove, too.
Yup.

I got a nag email from TUG about installing Steam keys (which have been available since April for KS backers). So I installed and played a bit last night, it's actually playable now...but the entire time I was thinking about this game.
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 11:06:12 AM

I think I have a review code for this coming. I look forward to being Liam Neesons.
Rasix

Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 11:08:48 AM

Ohh, get more codes.  I want to die of hypothermia. 

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 11:10:09 AM

Typically for single-player games I have to have a reallllllly good excuse for asking for more than one code.
Rasix

Reply #22 on: September 25, 2014, 11:18:58 AM

Yah, I got nothing.  My birthday was a week ago, use that.   awesome, for real

This does look interesting, but $20 and early access.  I'm not that brave/desperate. 

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #23 on: September 25, 2014, 11:37:25 AM

Yeah there's no way I'm paying $20 for an unreleased game. I barely like paying that for released games.

Looks interesting though, in a bleak way.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 26, 2014, 04:29:10 PM

I think I have a review code for this coming. I look forward to being Liam Neesons.

Be interesting to get your feedback.  I'm on the fence about this one.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: September 26, 2014, 05:30:37 PM

Key received. Game installed. Also got a strange game called Styx: Master of Shadows.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: September 26, 2014, 06:14:46 PM

Key received. Game installed. Also got a strange game called Styx: Master of Shadows.

I can see the sequel...

Styx: Blue Collar Man.

-  Mark Twain
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: September 26, 2014, 06:19:55 PM

Styx is the sequel to Of Orcs and Men, I think, but some kind of stealth game instead of an RPG?  I guess?  Styx was the shifty sidekick in the original game, I guess people liked him better than the growly generic main character.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 27, 2014, 01:26:13 AM

New patch seems to fix the "wolf problem".  It also seems like they're making it generally easier to survive longer.  They seem to be pretty quick with bug fixes and updates so far.  Five updates since it released Tuesday.

The Long Dark -- Sandbox Alpha -- v.127 Changelist

* Reduced % chance of Fluffy spawning in the Dam.
* Fluffy will no longer respawn in the Dam after X days.
* Wolf population has been modified to reduce overall density.
* Wolves will show more interest in the player and be "drawn" to them based on behaviour.
* There is now a chance that a Wolf will Flee when it detects the player at a distance (vs. going straight into Stalking behaviour).
* Fixed bug where Wolves would sometimes ignore lit Flares. Lit Flares should now provide significant deterrent to Wolf attacks.
* Fixed bug where Wolves would ignore Campfires. Campfires should now provide almost certain deterrent to Wolf attacks.
* It is now easier to "break" the Wolf Stalking behaviour by gaining distance from them.
* Dropped decoys are now more effective at slowing down Stalking wolves.
* Reduced initial damage inflicted during Wolf struggle.
* Reduced range of player damage inflicted during "light" Struggle attack.
* Increased effectiveness of full-strength Struggle attack.
* Reduced chance of contracting Food Poisoning for all Food Items.
* Reduced chance of contracting Dysentery from Non-Potable water sources.
* Reduced Calorie costs for all activities.
* Reduced Clothing Condition decay rates when indoors.
* Reduced per/day Starvation damage.
* First-pass fixes to Hunger.
* Improved HUD and Survival Panel prompts around First Aid events (i.e. Afflictions).
* General art fixes.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/305620/announcements/detail/225501838968982052
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 01:34:56 AM by Ginaz »
schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: September 27, 2014, 07:42:31 PM

Futzed around with it. My prime problem with the game right now is that "survive" isn't very compelling. Was talking to Rasix and I compared it to Diablo Hardcore Mode. The goal there is to get as far as you can without dying. And when you die you have a sort of history of what you've done. There's a tangible quality difference between runs. Sure, luck with loot comes into play, but it's still a thing with history.

In The Long Dark there is no "get as far as you can" portion. It's an incredibly bleak, depressing experience where your only goal is to slow your death as much as possible. That's not much of a carrot.

I'm sure Sky would love this game because its just like real life for him.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: September 28, 2014, 02:10:58 AM

Futzed around with it. My prime problem with the game right now is that "survive" isn't very compelling. Was talking to Rasix and I compared it to Diablo Hardcore Mode. The goal there is to get as far as you can without dying. And when you die you have a sort of history of what you've done. There's a tangible quality difference between runs. Sure, luck with loot comes into play, but it's still a thing with history.

In The Long Dark there is no "get as far as you can" portion. It's an incredibly bleak, depressing experience where your only goal is to slow your death as much as possible. That's not much of a carrot.

I'm sure Sky would love this game because its just like real life for him.

There is a story mode that's not yet implemented.  All thats available now is a condensed sandbox mode.  Maybe the story will have more things to do and goals than what we have now.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: September 28, 2014, 08:54:34 AM

I'm fascinated with games with this theme but implementation matters so much. Not the bleak theme, but the explore/gather/build/survive theme.

Is there a skill tree or something that one follows to make stuff?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: September 28, 2014, 10:33:16 AM

I'm trying not to buy this game.
schild
Administrator

Reply #33 on: September 28, 2014, 10:43:36 AM

It is literally what your life will be due to global warming within 5 years. May as well start training.
schild
Administrator

Reply #34 on: September 28, 2014, 10:44:08 AM

I'm fascinated with games with this theme but implementation matters so much. Not the bleak theme, but the explore/gather/build/survive theme.

Is there a skill tree or something that one follows to make stuff?
Not that I saw, you simply improve skills by doing things, which is just super boring to me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Long Dark, no zombie survival game  
Jump to: