Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:02:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Utopia 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Utopia  (Read 1396 times)
CmdrSlack
Contributor

on: September 21, 2014, 11:59:41 AM

So Fox has some new reality show called Utopia. It's basically a bullshit survivalist show. For example, they have power...they just had to run conduit from point A to point B.

I am watching the first few episodes right now. It's both stupid as hell and kinda a guilty pleasure.

I was hoping that it was going to be more of a failed Galt's Gulch.  Sadly, they appear to have power, water, and natural gas.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 12:30:27 PM by CmdrSlack »

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 08:27:48 AM

It apparently also cost them $40-$50 million to make (because reality shows are supposed to be expensive or something) and has gotten utterly dreadful ratings.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 09:00:04 AM

We knew that some network at some point would forget that the only reason reality TV ever got on air is because the shows were so cheap to produce. 

I have never played WoW.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 10:15:54 AM

We knew that some network at some point would forget that the only reason reality TV ever got on air is because the shows were so cheap to produce didn't need to pay residuals.
FTFY.  Of course, it turned out that the secondary market and syndication for reality TV was zero, but it's non-union hours on the schedule, which is always good (from the exec's viewpoint) even as only an implicit threat when negotiating with actors and writers.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 11:57:58 AM

I don't see how you could watch more than the first episode, Slack.  I caught it because it was a dead evening and even then I switched off halfway through. 

They deliberately chose a few random psychos in the mentally unstable atheist black guy and Jesus-loving redneck to pit them against each other.  It's a ridiculous premise whose only underlying goal seems to be, "how much sex can we show and how close to can we get these guys to killing each other without allowing it to happen."

Utopia, my ass.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 04:01:05 PM

Oddly enough, the crazy black guy and the redneck were best bros. crazy black guy left, then came back to get baptized by the Pentecostal preacher.

As to how I endured five episodes......I just started a course of benzodiazepines and had a growler from the local brewpub. 

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Utopia  
Jump to: