Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:32:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: Gnomoria: The Land of Sneers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gnomoria: The Land of Sneers  (Read 104553 times)
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: October 15, 2014, 07:03:36 PM

I am now afraid of Mants.

I haven't trained my guys at all or given them weapons or anything. Goblins came and killed my third yak (male, but I still have one of each).

I am not really sure I'm even in control of these guys anymore, because I've told them to do too many things, I think. Waiting for the end to come.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #141 on: October 16, 2014, 12:15:54 AM

FINAL BOSS BATTLE!

I was kinda hoping it'd take a few more hits and maybe spin some webs or inject some venoms or something.  Guess I have to wait for them to patch in a Balrog.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #142 on: October 16, 2014, 12:29:50 AM

I rarely comment on Radicalthons, but I read all of them and harvest the juicy bits.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: October 18, 2014, 03:28:09 AM

I couldn't be arsed walling in the entire map so I made this :

The power of Wind keeps both pressure plates running.  When the lever is on, one of the plates stops the Gnomes from running out.  The other one traps incomers in two mechanical walls and shuts the hatch.  Naturally, they go for the hatch and it...opens.

Why yes, that is a 10 floor drop to their death.  Why do you ask ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: October 18, 2014, 04:43:19 AM

There's a skeleton doing a poo in our vegetable patch.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: October 18, 2014, 10:46:50 AM

And, despite all looking great, that's that game over.

I accidentally tunnelled into a chasm and from it emerged about 50 Beetles (not joking here).  They swarmed up all the levels just eating my men one at a time.  The 3 squads of Militia fared... Poorly.

There was no-one BEHIND the drop trap, so no one survived.

Shite.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #146 on: October 18, 2014, 04:33:16 PM

Those beetles are the devil.  Supposedly once you have full steel armor they become inconsequential, but at the time I encountered them they ate about half my guys, as you may recall.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: October 19, 2014, 02:43:25 PM

I wish I'd taken more screenies, but one dude got his head snipped off.  The descriptions in the game are quite brutal actually.  Especially when he rubbed it in that the chap was also 'blind' and suffocating.  Well, you would be.  You have no fucking head.

I can't see how those assholes ever become inconsequential.  My guys all had heavy weapons and blunderbusses and it was just a fucking carve up.  It was like that scene from Aliens.  Out of the Goddamn Walls indeed.

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: October 19, 2014, 11:12:51 PM

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: October 21, 2014, 04:10:26 AM

New Playthrough, New Deathtrap in the making.  Currently the spikes and 2 squads hold off the Goblins, keeping food to a minimum so no Mants yet and I'm being hugely fucking careful of tunnels, so no beetles.  Also, putting torches everywhere just in case.

It's interesting that you can potentially 'cheat' by realizing 3 things :

1 - You never ever need to plant any trees.  Ever.
2 - You don't need any farms beyond wheat farms.  Ever.
3 - Getting a Jewelcrafter and Gemshop up quickly means you hardly ever have to do any actual mining except for gems either.

All odd little things that involve the most powerful part of the game (and quite broken, I think) that is the Market Stall.  By making statuettes with the Bonecrafter and Stonedude and the occasional Gemmed Ring, you will be able to buy everything you'd ever need.  When you have 3 pastures with Emus, Alpacas and Yaks, you will have all the eggs, milk and sausages to make constant Sausage or Cheese omelets.  You will also never have to harvest cotton since wool will drop like rain.

The Market chap will come around selling wood and ore and anything else you might need and when you get your second town, it's likely it'll be a logging town and that's you sorted for wood.  For ever.  You can summon the shop dudes almost constantly, so you're only limited by the raw bartering shit you can make.

You can also use multiple Tinker Benches to zoom through the technology in the game and get straight to the 'Ten Drop Of Death' and if you have it all setup, you don't even need to wall off shit except a small patch of land that will host 6 5x5 wheat farms and 3 10x10 pastures.  Make a separate entrance to the second level that filters the baddies down and switch on that floor trap.

Just remember to fucking switch it off when the ambassador or the merchants come because it's funny when they fall to their death, but not if you're about to run out of supplies.  

Using this method, you can pretty much gear up your chaps with some nice armor and weapons and then start delving depths properly.  All I would say is make sure that the way down to the deeps is similarly trapped with Blades and Spikes or the Aliens will GET You.

It's an excellent game, but as ever once you've found an optimal path, you wonder at the usefulness of some of the other stuff.  I still have no idea why anyone would make a Kiln, beyond the ceramic tiles that make things pretty and put the KV up....

But I've been wrong before.  A lot.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 04:13:38 AM by Ironwood »

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #150 on: October 21, 2014, 08:50:58 AM

Nope, you are correct.  Once you have the death trap running, goblin loot is also easy merchant fodder since you can insult your way to huge amounts of it very quickly.

That is the flaw with this game as compared to DF, I think: you can get to a point where you basically "win".  It's very fun getting to that point, though, so it's not a fatal flaw.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: October 21, 2014, 08:57:20 AM

No argument from me.  I've lost a substantial portion of my life to it recently and the 3 fallen kingdoms have been like losing relatives.

Not close relatives, more aunts you didn't like but gave you pressies every now and again.  But still heartbreaking to see them...er...decapitated.

The metaphors not working, is it ?

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #152 on: October 21, 2014, 10:56:46 AM

It is not. No.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #153 on: October 21, 2014, 11:06:58 AM

Also, putting torches everywhere just in case.

Oh!  Really important mining safety tip.  You can bind a key to "show darkness" (it's unbound by default but HUGELY USEFUL).  When you press it, areas that are "dark" (i.e. will spawn zombies and beetles and stuff if you're below -7 depth) are shown with a red floor.  This lets you know where torches need to go.  Only dark squares at the correct depth with a path to your dudes will spawn monsters, so light your own tunnels and don't break through into any natural caverns and you're completely safe.

I totally understood the familial decapitation metaphor, btw.  Must be a Tudor bloodline thing.   why so serious?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 11:08:43 AM by Samwise »

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: October 21, 2014, 11:24:45 AM

You mentioned that (I think it was you) and it WAS a great tip.  Been using it. 

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: October 23, 2014, 08:53:48 AM

You can but I haven't figured it out yet.  To prepare an area for mushroom farming it needs to be flooded or something.

Just to let people know :

This is actually a LOT easier than it looks.  Basically, find an area next to a river or water (more squares for more square foot).  Now dig your farm 'shape' next to it, leaving one wall thickness at one point of the proposed farm.  Makes SURE that all the underground tiles are sheltered from the sun (ie, with a roof ABOVE them, or a whole wall and roof.)  You need to keep your soil moist and the Sunnsss, it burnssss usss precious.

One you do this, select the 'Dig Hole' option at your one wall bottleneck.  Watch the water flood in.  As soon as it's touched all the areas you want to farm, use the 'fill hole' to turn the water off.  Once the water drains a little, you have mud and if you've bought mushroom seeds from the merchant, you can plant them merrily away on the mushroom farm you designate.

I've seen people who've made mechanical walls and levels to re-flood things, but I've never ever seen the need.  Once a tile is moist, it doesn't dry out no matter how much you farm.  It's only the sun that bothers it.  So make all the mushroom tea you want.  Mushrooms also seem to grow quite fast, though I've found them fairly useless myself.

In other news, you can actually run windmills underground in a strange bug - as long as it has a one floor clearance above it, it'll apparently run.  Who the fuck knows how that works.  Wind through the tunnels or summat, I guess.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: November 10, 2014, 07:25:20 AM

Well, that escalated quickly;

Lost another Kingdom, which was actually quite advanced and was Rich as Hell and had some great works being built and was about to Own the Universe.

"But How So ?"  You ask.

I don't really know if it's a bug or something, but apparently I left a small area untorched.  This allowed a Single Zombie to spawn.  This fucking guy, let's call him Patient Zero, decided to bite a passing Miner and managed in a single hit to tear out throat.  At the time I was dealing with a Goblin incursion;  and when I say 'dealing with' I was watching them fall ten floors to their death like lemmings while laughing hilariously.

So Patient Zero gets joined by Gnome McThroatRip as he gets up and shambles towards the next fucking asshole who's come to mine that wall unarmed.  And then again.  All the while I'm getting coffee and dealing with Elena making MORE FUCKING HUNTERS on WoW.

I get back and before I can say 'DYING TO GET IN CHORAL', I notice that there's a fucking plague of eight zombies EATING ALL MY FUCKING DUDES.  What was surprising is how well the Zombie Gnomes fared against my platemail wearing fuckers, hence my accusations of bugs or something.  It was almost like they came to life the same 'level' as the chaps who died, including hidden equipment.  The whole fucking dungeon, shuffling and moaning.  It was worse than the Beetles escapade.

Kingdom Falls, curtain goes down, Lauri gets shot, divers alarums.

Damn this fucking game.  It's too good.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: November 10, 2014, 09:58:18 AM

I get back and before I can say 'DYING TO GET IN CHORAL', I notice that there's a fucking plague of eight zombies EATING ALL MY FUCKING DUDES.  What was surprising is how well the Zombie Gnomes fared against my platemail wearing fuckers, hence my accusations of bugs or something.  It was almost like they came to life the same 'level' as the chaps who died, including hidden equipment.  The whole fucking dungeon, shuffling and moaning.  It was worse than the Beetles escapade.

That sounds very logical and truly fucking evil.

Hic sunt dracones.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #158 on: November 10, 2014, 10:20:42 AM

Yes, I lost an early kingdom that way -- I think it was before I figured out how the spawning mechanics work.  I learned subsequently that if you get a zombie infection, you want to strip the patient of their equipment at the very least so that if they reanimate they aren't armed to the teeth.  Once you have ninja zombies carrying swords it's all over.

I had one zombie infection in the Land of Sneers, which I spotted early and dealt with by putting the patient in a special "quarantine" squad with no uniform and assigning her to patrol duty outside the wall.  She ended up reanimating and charging in, where the real guard squad took her down without further incident (I think it was actually the gnome they call Ironwood who dealt the killing blow).

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: December 03, 2014, 09:12:30 PM

This was a fun read, thanks!  I don't know if I will ever play this game. I'll probably buy it at least.  But now I'm off to play Minecraft with visions of death labyrinths and fall traps and such. Oh, and I was wondering why you didn't have similar defensive stop gaps set up behind the miners, in case they did dig too deep.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #160 on: December 03, 2014, 10:28:59 PM

The mechanical defensive setup isn't selective, so it needs to be manually switched off in order for gnomes to get through.  That's pretty rare at the kingdom borders since none of my gnomes have a reason to go out there for the most part, but miners are going back and forth between the tunnels and the "safe" areas all the time.

Self-powered floor traps are selective, but they provide a negligible amount of stopping power compared to a gnome in steel armor.  Once I started digging into unsafe areas I just had multiple squads of fully outfitted gnomes standing at the "border" and nothing that spawned underground came even close to getting past them.  (They still would have had trouble with a goblin attack force just due to sheer numbers -- a thousand goblins can pile into a single square to attack one guy, and no matter how tough you are, if you have a thousand goblins attacking, well, 50 of them are going to roll natural twenties.)

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: December 04, 2014, 06:42:52 PM

Yeah, I was thinking more an emergency barrier that would be always open except when something unexpected shows up like that zombie that infected Ironwood's kingdom and someone upstairs hits the switch to cut off the losses, sorry bout those guys on the wrong side of the door when it closes! Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I guess once you have the gomepower, resources, and time to build something effective though you may already be past the most dangerous early exploration phases and it's easier to just plug the hole with the army by then, and they can move further in as the dig progresses!

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #162 on: December 04, 2014, 08:41:43 PM

In a pinch you can also close a hole by just putting up a dirt wall, deconstructing a stairway, etc.   awesome, for real  If you're just trying to seal off a breach that's eighty floors down, you've got plenty of time for that.

An alternative could be to set up a death trap mechanism outside your Great Hall, use an alarm bell to pull everyone in there if you've gotten in over your head, activate the death trap once all the gnomes are in (to splat any zombies/beetles/etc trying to get at them -- hope the gnomes all make it in before the monsters do), and deactivate the trap before sounding the all clear and letting the gnomes back out.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: December 09, 2014, 04:48:32 AM

If you're just trying to seal off a breach that's eighty floors down, you've got plenty of time for that.

NO.  YOU DON'T.  DON'T BELIEVE HIS LIES.

DRUMS IN THE DEEP.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: February 07, 2015, 01:59:47 PM

Apparently a lot of updates for this.  Anyone played em recently ?

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #165 on: February 07, 2015, 02:41:39 PM

I must have stopped playing right before the second to last update, because they added thresholds to stockpiles then and I know I used to manage that just by constraining the physical size of the stockpile and how many crates I put in it. 

Prosthetic limbs sound interesting.  I'm tempted to fire up my old save and try to turn you into the Six Million Dollar Gnome.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: February 07, 2015, 03:38:57 PM

Automatons too !

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: March 25, 2015, 03:29:38 AM

Going round again on this one.  They seem to have changed the combat a little and the tinker rate, because it's all  much much harder than I remember.

I have quite a few Gnomes with missing limbs, but not researched Stark Armor yet, so I'm kinda eager for that to happen.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: March 30, 2015, 03:14:23 AM

The Prosthetics stuff is actually wondrous and really useful, but oddly, it's one of the last things you research so by the time you get it, you should have armored up your gnomes so much that you will rarely need it.  Having a gnome limping around pathetically almost from the first goblin attack finally get new legs and be zipping about was a sight to see tho.  Shame it was a female or she'd be renamed to Dan or something.

I also have the automatons researched but as yet haven't seen a single golem, despite all my dirty, dirty piles.

Also, the current map has some utterly huge caverns under me, so I expect to get zombie Beetle swarmed any day now.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #169 on: April 01, 2015, 04:55:42 PM

How do automatons work?  Do you have to have a wild golem and tame it somehow?

IIRC golems only spawn in the dark, so make sure you're leaving those dirty piles somewhere unlit.  Make sure your golem spawning chamber is near the surface if you don't want it spawning beetles and undead too.   awesome, for real

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: April 02, 2015, 06:20:56 AM

No, you kick seven types of shit out of normal golems and about one in every five will drop a golem core, which can be used to create and automaton.

Still no joy, but if it truly has to be dark, then I've fucked it up big style.  They can spawn in stockpiles now too, so I might make a pile between level 1-7 in the dark and see what I can get....

Other games took over for a while, but I must get back to it.  I want a Robot City.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #171 on: April 02, 2015, 10:37:35 AM

The way I got them in my game was digging lots of dirt outside (flattening a terrace for farming or something like that) and not stockpiling it because all my haulers were busy elsewhere.  Since I didn't bother lighting the outside (since nothing spawns out there normally), at night it got dark and the dirt turned into a dirt golem.  I also got rock golems once or twice when mining tunnels out if there was a delay getting the torches installed.  Luckily golems are complete pushovers.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: April 02, 2015, 02:05:14 PM

AND IT IS ON.  GIVE MY CREATION LIFE.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: April 02, 2015, 04:10:32 PM

So, he's basically a Gnome with fuel in him.  It's kinda fun.  I've called him Data.

Because.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #174 on: April 02, 2015, 04:17:01 PM

Are there any benefits over fleshy gnomes, like not needing sleep, or fuel being easier to produce than food?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: Gnomoria: The Land of Sneers  
Jump to: