Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:37:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: Gnomoria: The Land of Sneers 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gnomoria: The Land of Sneers  (Read 104548 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: October 03, 2014, 09:14:02 AM

Oh Dear.  Did you delve too deeply and too greedily ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #106 on: October 03, 2014, 09:29:31 AM

There was a big vein of platinum right near the lava lake.  I needed it.  For things.  Luckily the gnome who lost his legs wasn't anyone important.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #107 on: October 03, 2014, 10:56:22 AM

I was me wasn't it. Damn you.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: October 03, 2014, 11:01:45 AM

Purchased.  Fuck it.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #109 on: October 03, 2014, 12:44:57 PM

It was having a gnome lose his legs in a horrible mining accident that clinched it for you, wasn't it.   why so serious?  Sadly bionic limbs aren't in yet, although they are on the dev plan.

Paelos isn't on mining (or hauling) duty so he's unlikely to die that way unless I start trying to build lava pumps.  In which case he's VERY likely to die that way.  But I don't think I'll be doing that, since liquid is sufficiently wonky that I'm hesitant to even play with water.  After Pagz drowned, I had to drain the lake to recover his equipment (miraculously I managed to do it without drowning any of my miners), and then I built a fence around it to prevent further accidents.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #110 on: October 04, 2014, 08:40:06 AM

Not much new to report as far as monster attacks.  I did build a new base of operations at level -80 to facilitate greedy delving efforts.  Here's what that looks like:

12 bedrooms in the upper left, dining room and hospital in the middle, training grounds in front of the entrance to the great unlit caverns (which I'm steadily mining away at and lighting up).  The bedrooms have statues of platinum and rose gold, which both makes them highly desirable and minimizes the amount of time their occupants need to spend in them.  As you can see from the pile of corpses, undead periodically lurch out of the darkness, and since they have to go right through my military guys to get to anything valuable, my military guys can just smash them to pieces and then go back to what they were doing.

A few of the melee weapons are now legendary -- even poorly crafted weapons "level up" to maximum quality (and get named) if you use them to kill enough things.  Ezrast has a sword named The Muddy Sword which has slain many zombies.  

(edit) Ironwood's hammer recently acquired the title of the Romanced Wailer.  I couldn't make this stuff up.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 08:41:49 AM by Samwise »

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: October 04, 2014, 10:26:08 AM

My gnomes are all fucking retards and my house is a shitpit.

Heartbreak

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: October 04, 2014, 10:28:49 AM

Also, my yaks aren't fucking.

SAM, WHY AREN'T MY YAKS FUCKING ??!

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #113 on: October 04, 2014, 10:38:32 AM

Also, my yaks aren't fucking.

SAM, WHY AREN'T MY YAKS FUCKING ??!

They don't do it when you're looking.  

Also gestation takes 12 days, so it takes a while for your herd to get to the point where you're popping out a baby yak every day and leading it to the slaughterhouse.  You can speed things up by buying more females from a merchant, but that requires doing a whole bunch of other shit (you have to host a diplomat, build a merchant stall, wait for a merchant to show up, then have stuff to trade him).  It's a lot to juggle while you're trying to get other stuff built.

For your first game just aim for a wheat field (which'll also take a while to actually produce wheat, so plant it FIRST THING or you'll run out of straw and your yaks will starve) and a sawmill.  If you can get that stuff up and running before the goblins and/or mants eat you, you're doing good.  Along the way you'll get a good idea for specifically why your gnomes are retards and you'll figure out how to trick them into being less retarded (like all that stuff I was doing with having lots of specialized stockpiles -- that's all so my gnomes don't do stupid stuff like not build things because there's a big pile of dirt where the finished table needs to go).  Then your next time around you'll already know to do that shit and you'll get further.

You could also play on "peaceful" but where's the fun there?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: October 04, 2014, 12:52:14 PM

I think you may need some animal husbandry gnome.  Started again and got another yak right quick.  Previous game had been weeks and weeks in game time and nowt.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #115 on: October 04, 2014, 01:01:06 PM

I think you may need some animal husbandry gnome.  Started again and got another yak right quick.  Previous game had been weeks and weeks in game time and nowt.

You need a gnome assigned to the "rancher" profession (which I think you start with), and your yaks need to be in a pasture, and you need to have wheat straw so your rancher can feed them.  You also need one male and one female yak, which again, you start with, but if you lose one you're boned until you can buy a replacement.

Technically you don't need a "rancher", you just need somebody with "animal husbandry" or whatever enabled -- of the default professions "rancher" is the only one with that.  You can edit the professions and set it so your miners feed your yaks if you want; some people just set every gnome to a profession that does everything and let them manage themselves.  I didn't go into any of that because it's lots of boring ticking of boxes but there's a lot you can do to manage what your gnomes do.  Two major profession changes I ended up making in my game were adding more crafting tasks to the ranchers (to take some of the cooking burden off the farmers) and adding "smelting" to the miners (so I could have one master blacksmith with other gnomes feeding him metal bars so he could work faster).  I also took "hauling" off engineers because I didn't want Paelos off rearranging dirt while I needed him to pull a goddamn lever RIGHT NOW.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #116 on: October 04, 2014, 02:50:40 PM

Still waiting to encounter a cave spider so I can end this radicalthon with a boss battle.   awesome, for real

In the meantime, I built a water feature.  There's a switch to turn it off because moving water lags the game up something fierce, but here's what it looks like when it's running:

Here's the inside:

There are three pumps stacked one on top of the other; each is turned by an axle (through the wall) that connects to a gearbox.  The three gearboxes are linked by vertical axles, and the top one is linked to the five windmills that power it all and a switch to turn it off.

Utterly pointless but it was fun to build.  Miraculously, no gnomes managed to drown themselves during construction.  I thought about building a new death trap where the goblins get drowned instead of splatted (I could use mechanical walls to seal a room, pump it full of water, then turn off the pump, open the doors, let the room drain, and loot the bodies), but the lag during goblin slaughters is bad enough as is.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 02:52:14 PM by Samwise »

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: October 05, 2014, 10:24:00 AM

Lost two kingdoms today (as well as pretty much all of my Sunday), but I'm learning lots.  There are lots of wee fiddly bits it's best to work out yourself, especially the damn military.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: October 05, 2014, 10:55:55 AM

Also, can I just say, the option to track other items in a list is fucking awesome.  No idea if it ever made it in to DF, but it helps SO MUCH.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #119 on: October 05, 2014, 12:05:47 PM

Also, can I just say, the option to track other items in a list is fucking awesome.  No idea if it ever made it in to DF, but it helps SO MUCH.

It's super awesome when you're still trying to figure out how to set up your various production pipelines.  Takes the mystery out of "why can't I build this fucking thing" when you can glance over and see that you're out of wood, or stone, or you aren't producing planks as fast as you need to, or whatever.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: October 06, 2014, 02:18:20 AM

At work right now, so I can't check, but can you create new professions ?  When I alter the basic templates it comes up as 'Custom' and I'd rather something more descriptive !

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #121 on: October 06, 2014, 04:19:26 AM

At work right now as well so can't give you the click by click instructions, but yes, you can.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: October 06, 2014, 06:33:38 AM

Nice.  I knew you could do that kind of things with Soldiers, so it seemed daft not to have it on professions.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #123 on: October 06, 2014, 08:23:25 AM

Population > Professions > New

Type new profession name where it says "New Profession".  Uncheck/check boxes and rearrange priorities to your heart's content.

Up to 45 platinum statues in the Great Hall and I don't even know how many rose gold.  Population's up to 54.

Note the perimeter defense system with 5 levers -- if the middle one and rightmost one are both active, anything trying to enter the kingdom will be deflected (that's the middle lever) and then will attempt to detour through the pitfall trap (that's the rightmost lever).  If someone arrives whom I want to let in, I throw the middle lever.  Otherwise the first notification I get of new arrivals is "a goblin has fallen to his death".

Oh hey, exactly as I typed that, it happened:

If they ever patch in winged mants I'm fucked.   awesome, for real

I'm deliberately digging out dark rooms at the bottom level to try to entice cave spiders to spawn because it's the only enemy in the game I haven't seen yet, but still no luck.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: October 07, 2014, 02:41:52 AM

This game is brilliant.  Totally addictive and much, much, much easier to get into than DF, while doing pretty much exactly the same job.

However, I've noticed that I have the same problem with it as I do with DF.  The MINUTE that something goes wrong for me, or I think of a better way to do something, I just start again.   awesome, for real

It's a real problem !

Come on Sam, make with some updates today.  I'm at work again and just itching to fire this up on my spare surface which is hidden from view of the rest of the drones. 

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #125 on: October 07, 2014, 08:14:33 AM

At this point most of what I'm doing looks like the stuff I've been doing -- just mining more and incrementally upgrading my equipment. I told my smiths to smelt down any armor that's not better than "average", which means they're churning through HUGE amounts of iron in the pursuit of outfitting every gnome with "fine" steel armor.  Gonna provoke another big goblin lagfest to give me raw material.

If I spend long enough waiting for cave spiders I might revamp my entrance.  The setup I have now has grown organically and I feel like I could do better if I designed it all from scratch.  That might be entertaining.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: October 07, 2014, 08:58:17 AM

I might revamp my entrance. 

fnar.

(Also, It's too dark and fiddly to play on a Surface.)

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: October 09, 2014, 10:26:16 AM

I'm so glad I found this thread.

I'm becoming more retarded as I grow old. Could not figure out how to turn off the music (thanks to Kail for telling me). First kingdom, I made a mine pit, which is not exactly the right way to mine, is it?

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #128 on: October 09, 2014, 11:52:01 AM

You mean, just strip-mining the surface for dirt and stone rather than tunneling down deep to get at the veins of metal?  You can use the Prospector workshop to convert the cheap stuff into random metal bits, so in theory you can get your metal that way, it just might take a while.

I pretty much follow the same plan I use in Minecraft, though, which is to dig a bunch of stairs to get down deep to where the good stuff is and then start digging a bunch of corridors to look for it, placing torches along the way.

Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: October 09, 2014, 11:29:30 PM

I'm becoming more retarded as I grow old.

I think have to relearn a new system over and over is the problem. One nice thing about games borrowing design from each other is that you don't have to relearn some basic things like how to turn off the sound.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: October 10, 2014, 11:41:39 AM

Speaking of retarded, the floor/wall system is a bit shitty sometimes.  I also don't like that gnomes can wall themselves in or leave themselves standing in mid air on a bit of floor, slowly dying of thirst.

Idiots.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #131 on: October 10, 2014, 12:37:13 PM

It's the hardest part of the game to figure out, yeah.  Each square can have a floor, a floor and a wall, or neither.  Gnomes can only stand in squares with a floor but no wall.  Stairs provide a floor for the square above them.  Etc.  Once you can wrap your head around that AND how the various build orders interact with the terrain (eg "dig hole" removes this square's floor and the lower square's wall, "dig stairs" is that plus building a stair in the lower square, "mine stairs up" replaces this square's wall with stairs, "build stairs up" creates stairs in an already empty square...) you can figure out how to rescue trapped gnomes, but I lost a few like that early on.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: October 12, 2014, 06:09:10 AM

I've had four statues as 'Pending' for about a year.

According to the Wiki, statues should be at the Carpenter, the Stonemason and the Metal Chap.

I don't have any options to build them.

What gives ?

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #133 on: October 12, 2014, 09:22:39 AM

Stonecarver (not stonemason) or Metalworker (not blacksmith).  I don't remember the Woodcarver (not carpenter) doing statues but that'd be the equivalent.  Those use different skills as well as being different workshops, so make sure someone is assigned to them -- I *think* miners have stone carving and blacksmiths have metalworking by default?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 09:24:56 AM by Samwise »

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: October 12, 2014, 10:00:49 AM

Yeah, but Statue isn't there as an option on ANY of them.  Tearing my hair out here, 'cause it looks bugged, but I have no idea why.

Everything else is going great on this run through except those.  

EDITED TO ADD : I'M A TIT.  WHOA.  SUCH A GREAT BIG TIT.

Thanks Sam.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 10:07:05 AM by Ironwood »

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: October 12, 2014, 03:03:03 PM

FUCKING GODDAMN MANTS.

Unlike Sam, I chronicled the....slaughter.

So, the take away here is don't stock up on food.  Or you get the Mants.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: October 12, 2014, 03:12:13 PM

The funniest bit is the 6 or seven guys you can see there dead on hospital beds.

As they died from an advanced case of Mant.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #137 on: October 12, 2014, 04:10:01 PM

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: October 12, 2014, 04:35:08 PM

Oh, and for anyone wondering, the 'BloodGod' tally is a little tracker for when I have Goblin skull spare.

Because then it gets put on a stick outside.

Before the dark times.  Before the Mants.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: October 12, 2014, 06:14:57 PM

So, the take away here is don't stock up on food.  Or you get the Mants.

Wait, I totally had something for this  awesome, for real

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: Gnomoria: The Land of Sneers  
Jump to: