Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:55:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: Gnomoria: The Land of Sneers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gnomoria: The Land of Sneers  (Read 104544 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #70 on: September 19, 2014, 11:01:15 AM

I'm now locked in a control room with some levers and desks.

It's gnome tax season.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 01:30:03 PM by Paelos »

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: September 19, 2014, 01:12:24 PM

LOL.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #72 on: September 20, 2014, 11:14:48 AM

So, annoying development with my control room.  The engineers finished inventing all the things, meaning they no longer have a reason to hang out at the tinker bench.  Now they spend all their time loafing around the Great Hall.

After trying different ways to entice them to hang out in the control room again (for example I tried making it a guard post and assigning them to a special "engineering" squad scheduled to sit there, but they wouldn't pull the switches while on guard duty, lol), I decided it was time to do some more building.

The control room is now part of the newly expanded Great Hall, as seen here:

Axles run from the switches (which are made of solid silver now, because they need to go with the decor) to gearboxes behind the walls that transfer the power up a level to the outside:

What about power?  As a stopgap measure during construction I had a steam engine running inside the Great Hall, but even though we have ridiculous amounts of firewood (overflowing our stockpiles, as you can see by all the logs lying around outside) I prefer renewable energy sources.  So I built a driveshaft that runs almost the entire length of the kingdom:

to another gearbox that links up with a wind farm on the other side of the mountain:

Mechanical response times are way up again, and now I can control the gate mechanism from the security of the panic room, so that's pretty awesome.

Meanwhile, the entire military is getting outfitted with steel equipment (slowly but surely), to the point where we don't actually need any of this high-tech security apparatus anyway, but I still derive great satisfaction from seeing two-headed ogres gnashing their teeth impotently from the other side of a mechanical wall before they're gunned down for their precious hides.

Mining operations have gone down to level -50, which is far enough of a hike downstairs that I've built a new set of luxurious living quarters down there for the miners:

Regular bulk food deliveries keep them from having to come upstairs to fill their bellies, and an on-site prospecting station means they can process large amounts of raw stone into smaller amounts of metal, minimizing hauling time.

I suppose from here there's nowhere to go but down.  I've read that cave spiders are the worst thing in the game and they start spawning at level -78 and lower...

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #73 on: September 20, 2014, 03:29:52 PM

SKULLS FOR THE SKULL WALL!

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #74 on: September 25, 2014, 10:44:08 PM

In recent news:

LEGENDARY.  The mants will be coming from all corners of the earth to try to pillage that treasure.

Meanwhile I'm relocating my military to the bowels of the earth.  Training grounds, hospital, nicely decorated bedrooms, the works.  I plan to have my miners start opening up the natural caverns, and I want a bunch of gnomes in full steel armor ready to beat the shit out of whatever comes out.

The melee squad has been shifted to full time active duty -- I created a "Soldier" profession that's assigned to do nothing at all, swapped all the heavies over to that profession (no more legendary sausages for Ironwood, he's a full-time kneecapper now), and put them on a 16-hour training schedule.

In the above screenshot you can see a yawning chasm just behind the rooms.  It goes all the way to the bottom of the map.  Are we ready to find out what's living in there?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: September 26, 2014, 12:03:15 AM

WORSHIP MY GLORIOUS SAUSAGE.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #76 on: September 26, 2014, 08:35:58 AM

WORSHIP MY GLORIOUS SAUSAGE.

Oh dear lord.  why so serious?

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #77 on: September 26, 2014, 09:00:12 AM

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #78 on: September 27, 2014, 01:01:16 AM

My firing squads have gotten so deadly that the last group of goblins to face them panicked and turned tail before they'd even made it through the trap labyrinth.  The engies were a little slow on the draw and didn't manage to shut the outer door quickly enough to keep them all penned in, and a bunch of them got away.

Fuck that noise.

So here's how this works (I think).  Dudes come into the courtyard via the hatch, which is closed until something steps on the pressure plate (which is only on the inside).  Hatch opens.  Anyone right behind the dude (like more dudes) falls into the hatch, which just leads to the passageways under the labyrinth (only way out is the stairs up into the courtyard).  Once you're inside the courtyard, you can't get back out, because the hatch opens as soon as you step on the plate.  It's a one-way door.

If any of my dudes need to get out (like merchants leaving the kingdom, or my "ambassadors" bringing truckloads of skulls to the goblin lands to piss them off), I throw the switch that opens the escape door on the side.  Eventually I expect I'll want to tie this back to the great hall with the rest of the control levers and the giant wind farm so my lazy-ass engies don't have to walk as far.

Will this work?  My last goblin diplomatic mission is due back any day now, so we'll find out.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #79 on: September 27, 2014, 01:22:03 AM

Goblins check in...

...they don't check out.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #80 on: September 27, 2014, 04:41:12 AM

Is there a tutorial on this somewhere? I bought it for a few bucks, and have no idea wtf I am doing.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #81 on: September 27, 2014, 09:10:56 AM

Read the first few posts of this thread?   awesome, for real

I've also found the Gnomoria Wiki helpful as a reference, but I mostly figured out the basics by just messing around with what's on the toolbar.  In the first few posts of this thread I tried to call out which commands I was using to do the basic startup stuff.

Designate stockpiles, harvest things, build workshops.  (Again, in the start of this thread I call out which workshops are good to build first and that kind of thing, so read that -- I learned the hard way by just trying to build everything and that works too.)  Make sure you have food and drink.  My first few games ended in spectacular defeats, so expect that to happen a few times.

If there's anything specific you're wedged on lemme know and I can do a little tutorial in this thread, but start with that basic stuff and you'll probably have a good idea of where you want to go from there.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 09:20:39 AM by Samwise »

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: September 27, 2014, 11:15:44 AM

A tutorial is on the "to do" list.  I assume he's keeping it until later so that he doesn't have to re-write it every time something changes.

Until then, you've got us to help you!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #83 on: September 27, 2014, 12:26:53 PM

TBH the thing I like about this game as compared with many others (especially DF) is that I was able to just fuck around with it and start having fun without having to sit through a boring in-game tutorial or dig through wiki articles.  I wound up consulting the wiki to figure out how stuff works but I was already hooked by then; when I tried to play DF I just couldn't get into it to the point where I wanted to learn more.

Gnomoria is kinda more like Minecraft that way, where you'll end up going to the wiki to figure out specific pieces of information, but you can figure out the basics of "punch tree, dig hole" very quickly and get an idea for the basic mechanics before you need to delve into the details.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #84 on: September 28, 2014, 12:01:42 PM

Best goblin conga line yet.

...I may have gone a bit too far in a few places.

This is around the time I'm wishing I'd built an automated mashing device in there.  Shooting them is taking too long.   why so serious?

This isn't even all the corpses.  I'm not sure if we're going to be able to butcher them all before they rot.  Oy.

And this is the scrap pile after we've looted the corpses.  Once Kail smelts all this stuff down we should have enough for our two heavy melee squads and three firing squads to have all steel equipment, and two-headed ogre leather armor for all the shooters.  Hot damn.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 12:38:49 PM by Samwise »

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #85 on: September 28, 2014, 09:30:42 PM

When you have too much food lying around, you get mants.  This is what happens when you don't sweep up.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: September 28, 2014, 10:53:37 PM

A bit late but KNEEL BEFORE ZOD'S SAUSAGE!!

Hic sunt dracones.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #87 on: September 29, 2014, 07:24:35 AM

Who is on corpse and poop duty? They are falling down on the job.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #88 on: September 29, 2014, 09:03:09 AM

Almost everyone except the full-time soldiers and the engineers is on hauling duty (usually as their lowest priority).  Problem is there's still a giant backlog of goblin scrap to sift through so everyone's too busy to clean up the dirt.

Luckily dirt golems ain't nuthin.  That one armored gnome beat them all to death with a wheelbarrow before his backup arrived, then went back to tidying.

brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: September 29, 2014, 08:59:50 PM

Almost everyone except the full-time soldiers and the engineers is on hauling duty (usually as their lowest priority).  Problem is there's still a giant backlog of goblin scrap to sift through so everyone's too busy to clean up the dirt.

Luckily dirt golems ain't nuthin.  That one armored gnome beat them all to death with a wheelbarrow before his backup arrived, then went back to tidying.
With the way the weapon system works, it was probably a legendary wheelbarrow.

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #90 on: September 29, 2014, 09:44:13 PM

I have had legendary wheelbarrows in other games, but none of my melee weapons are legendary this time because I've done so well with my mechanical/ranged defenses.  Every single gun has a name, though.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #91 on: September 30, 2014, 01:51:19 AM

My new ammo-saving device.  I call it the High Dive.

A manually operated drawbridge leads from the labyrinth to this elevated platform.  The other end of the platform leads into my kingdom.  When the labyrinth is on lockdown and I open the way to this platform, whatever is in the labyrinth will come up here.  They will walk onto the gold pressure plate -- at this point the copper wall to their left (which was on their path forward) raises, blocking them.  The tin wall raises behind them, blocking their way back.  The hatch closes, creating a path forward.  They step onto the hatch, and off the plate.  The hatch opens, with them on it.

This is where they land, 17 stories down.  The ditch around it is so that my gnomes don't get crushed by falling bodies from above until I'm sure they're all done and it's safe to start looting.

This should solve the problem of having to wait for my firing squads to individually execute two hundred goblins as they mill around in the labyrinth -- now I just open a few switches and they'll file to their deaths in an orderly fashion.

The trickiest part of constructing this thing was making sure none of my gnomes fell victim to the trap while it was under construction.  I chose the order in which to build things very carefully and made sure the gnomes would always take the path out that DIDN'T lead to a long fall.  Now the whole thing is kept inaccessible except under very controlled conditions, and the design shouldn't ever result in any litter in the trap itself that anyone will want to try to clean up.

To test it, I send a diplomat off to goblin lands, carrying not only the usual gifts of goblin skulls and sausage, but this time even some of the ogre-leather armor that was too poorly made for any of my gnomes to want to wear it.

This will take a few in-game days to see results.  In the meantime, please admire the lovely Great Hall.

I'm puttering around adding nicer statues to the living quarters too, since I read that it improves the quality of sleep to have a statue made of precious metal looming over you all night.

Oh hey, a million goblins are here.  Let's see how they're doing.

Yes, there's a blood trail in the air because a bunch of them have already had holes shot in them by snipers by the time they take the long fall.  Also, a few of them are crushed by their falling comrades a split second before the fall kills them, so they register as having been killed by falling objects.  LOL.

I don't even know how many goblins there actually were, but it was enough to lag the bejesus out of the game.  I think we might be good on scrap metal for... ever.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: September 30, 2014, 01:56:13 AM

You really, really dig on this kind of shit, don't you ?

You savage.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #93 on: September 30, 2014, 09:58:14 AM

If you like sausage, never ask how it's made.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: September 30, 2014, 12:24:04 PM

Especially if it's the Sausage of Zod.

Hic sunt dracones.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #95 on: September 30, 2014, 12:49:22 PM

'Legendary Sausage of Zod'

Should be his title, really.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #96 on: September 30, 2014, 01:21:05 PM

I don't even know how many goblins there actually were, but it was enough to lag the bejesus out of the game.  I think we might be good on scrap metal for... ever.

Oh, duh, I can figure this out with the "Stocks" screen since "corpse" is an item.  A bunch have been butchered by now but I've still got about 700 lying around.  

I had on the order of a thousand goblins and ogres attacking my settlement of fewer than 50 gnomes, and killed them all with an elaborate practical joke.   why so serious?

Figured out a good shortcut around the smelting process.  Merchants will take goblin scrap as trade, and it doesn't need to be in a stockpile to be traded -- so I just told a merchant to take away all he could carry in exchange for all of his ore.  Way less labor for my dudes.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 01:37:24 PM by Samwise »

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #97 on: September 30, 2014, 02:00:23 PM

You're 300 corpses from a Rob Zombie movie.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #98 on: September 30, 2014, 04:40:57 PM

You're 300 corpses from a Rob Zombie movie.

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Okay, next up I'm going to do the spelunking thing.  I've been putting it off because I wanted all my guys to be well equipped before I march them to what might be their deaths, but everything is as maxed out as it can get.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #99 on: October 02, 2014, 12:39:18 AM

Spelunking time!

No sooner do we start exploring the caverns than a herd of Walking Dead extras lurches out of the darkness.

Luckily all the goblin target practice has paid off, and gnashing teeth are ineffective against cold steel.

While my military is assigned to stay below ground and fight the undead, my kingdom's above-ground defenses have been delegated to the engineering team, who flip levers in order to manipulate and/or kill attackers.  At one point we manage to get a group of mants trapped in the same room as a few goblin soldiers, with hilarious results.

Below ground, here's an excerpt of Ironwood and Ezrast kicking ass and taking names.  Note that at one point the skeleton picks up a severed zombie leg and tries to beat Ezrast to death with it.

While this is going on, I'm sending gnomes through the natural caverns and having them plant torches everywhere.  I'm seeing if I can render it a spawn-free zone by improving the lighting...

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: October 02, 2014, 04:16:16 AM

Crushing The Brain !  Oh Yeah !

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #101 on: October 02, 2014, 10:28:28 PM

We've hit molten rock bottom.

No cave spiders yet...

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: October 03, 2014, 01:32:50 AM

Now what ?

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: October 03, 2014, 02:11:58 AM

Hic sunt dracones.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #104 on: October 03, 2014, 08:06:37 AM

I learned that mining close to lava is bad for gnomes' health.  Apparently it's rather hot.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: Gnomoria: The Land of Sneers  
Jump to: