Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:05:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: Gnomoria: The Land of Sneers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gnomoria: The Land of Sneers  (Read 104550 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: September 12, 2014, 11:53:09 AM

I'm finding it very entertaining.  If I wasn't swimming in other games, I'd be giving it a try.

(Also, what happened to Stonehearth ?)

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #36 on: September 12, 2014, 12:14:26 PM

The last few times I tried the Stonehearth alpha it crashed on me five minutes in, so I decided to give up on it for a while.  It's probably better now, but the longer I wait the less likely I'll find it's still crashy and just give up on it completely.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #37 on: September 13, 2014, 08:15:30 PM

Fuck.

Aha!

FUUUUUCK THEY MULTIPLY FUUUUUCK

OH JESUS CHRIST

WHY

Tune in next week when we pick the armor off everyone's carcasses (those of you who didn't JUMP IN THE WATER FOR SOME REASON.  PAGZ.) and use it to outfit a fresh-faced group of gnomads who can't wait to die next.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #38 on: September 14, 2014, 01:07:31 AM

Getting clever with machinery.

This mechanical wall lets me shut off access to my kingdom by having an engineer throw a switch from the inside.  Here you can see me attempting to use it to trap starving alpacas and stop them from wandering off the map (the wheat harvest was disrupted by the mass beetle killings and that's kind of thrown everything else off).

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: September 14, 2014, 05:03:03 AM

Tune in next week when we pick the armor off everyone's carcasses (those of you who didn't JUMP IN THE WATER FOR SOME REASON.  PAGZ.) and use it to outfit a fresh-faced group of gnomads who can't wait to die next.
Pick me, pick me!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #40 on: September 14, 2014, 11:35:45 AM

Upon arriving at the Land of Sneers, Ezrast is handed a poop shovel and a sword.  Welcome, soldier!

My military is now divided into two types of squads -- a firing squad that is outfitted with mostly crossbows (with one armored taunt tank to protect the squishies), and melee squads that are split between "bashers" (armed with hammers and bonuses vs kneecaps) and "stabbers" (armed with swords and bonuses vs fallen enemies).  The idea is the basher softens em up and the stabber finishes them.

So far it's been working well, and I have a row of ogre skulls to prove it.

The goblin armies have started sending iron armor, which I've been melting down and turning into steel swords.  Ogre leather makes good light armor too. 

SEND MORE COPS.   ZombieSigne

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #41 on: September 14, 2014, 11:55:47 AM

I want to be a gnomad who does something stupid as well!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #42 on: September 14, 2014, 01:10:12 PM

Paelos, you will be joining the engineering corps, which has one of the most important AND stupid jobs.  Every time a trap gets sprung out in No Gnomes' Land, you're going to be one of the brave souls who goes running out to reset it.  If you should happen to run into the thing that sprung it before the military does, your job is to run away at top speed, shrieking as loudly as you can so we know where to send the rescue squad.  For this reason you will not be carrying any weapons or wearing any armor.

You're also tasked with inventing pitfalls and pressure plates ASAP, because I have some fun ideas of things to do with those.

And now here is the last survivor of the most recent group of goblins to attempt an invasion.

RUN, FAT BOY, RUN!

JRave
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: September 14, 2014, 01:23:43 PM

Can you attempt to take a better screenshot of the entrance and surrounding area?  I'm trying to figure out how you are funneling them in like that.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #44 on: September 14, 2014, 01:33:04 PM

I can't show the entire thing because it involved terraforming the entire edge of the map.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  I leveled off everything at the edge of the map (to depth 0, which meant carving a LOT out of the hills at the edges) and then made sure there was either a wall or a trench blocking it off.  Then opened up one square to act as a gate, and built some stuff in front of that.  Devising a deadly funnel is easy once you only have one way in from the edge (which is where all goblins, merchants, gnomads, and mants spawn).

I've also got a system of tunnels one level down that connect the edges; that's so that if my engineers or haulers get stuck out there and get surprised by a bear or something, they have multiple directions to flee and can probably make it back in (through the trap gauntlet which will probably kill any pursuer if the military doesn't do it first) instead of getting cornered.

You can see it in the screenshot above -- the ogre is fleeing down the "corridor" along the edge of the map.  The stairs in front of him lead to the tunnel system I mentioned (which is also trapped).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 05:23:30 PM by Samwise »

brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: September 14, 2014, 04:06:13 PM

Funny, I didn't even bother with those defenses.

I have 5 soldiers with full bronze and steel swords, and I'm in the process of upgrading my shields to steel as those are counted as weapons (sadly we'll lose that legendary bronze shield in the process).

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=314267048

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #46 on: September 14, 2014, 04:10:14 PM

Heh, "Custom Difficulty".   awesome, for real

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #47 on: September 14, 2014, 04:19:05 PM

I always wanted to be a chickenshit engineer.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #48 on: September 14, 2014, 04:47:52 PM

The pressure plate has been invented, and now I can do really fun shit.  Like play practical jokes on my builders.

This is a proof of concept for what will eventually be a devious trap.  Windmills supply power through an axle (under the floor) to the pressure plate, which powers the wall.  When nobody is standing on the plate, the wall is down.  When someone steps onto it, the wall instantly pops up and blocks their path.

Unlike the manually switched wall I built earlier, this means that gnomes (and enemies) will see a path to the other side and walk up to it before it springs shut.  I tested it by telling this gnome to build a torch on the other side, and then laughing at her.

My plan is to put plates and power linkages on both sides, so that it will stop enemies the same way, but only after they've run the trap gauntlet and brought themselves in easy range of my snipers.  I also want it to stop my own guys from going outside until everything is clear.  This should give me a pretty airtight defense against future mant/goblin incidents.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #49 on: September 14, 2014, 05:07:46 PM

Okay, that didn't take too long to set up.  I had to do a little digging and change the layout because the gearboxes (which you need to transmit power around corners or at junctions) act as floors (and can be walked on), but here it is in working order:

Pulling the switch deactivates it and makes the area passable.  My plan is to leave the switch active most of the time and only shut the gate off after all the hostiles have been killed and it's time to go collect the bodies.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #50 on: September 14, 2014, 06:55:45 PM

Shit yes, it works.

Here's a mob of goblins coming in and springing all the traps.  Note my dudes trying to run out and meet them in the kill zone, and getting stopped.

I throw the switch to lock the manually-controlled wall behind the goblins so they can't flee as my guys start picking them off from across the trench with crossbows.  Then there's lots of blood.

Once it's all over, I deactivate the blocker so my guys can collect the dead and reset the traps.

Then everything is set for the next group of visitors.

Time to start sending "ambassadors" to the goblin kingdom with gifts of goblin-bone figurines so they'll send more dudes next time.

brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: September 14, 2014, 07:03:36 PM

Heh, "Custom Difficulty".   awesome, for real
yeah, there's a reason I havn't played it in a month, that game got boring.

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #52 on: September 14, 2014, 07:05:29 PM

Mere moments later, a group of mants arrives, and they go through the same meat grinder.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS  One improvement I think I want to make is adding a manual switch to lock the pressure-plated-activated wall up so my gnomes stop trying to run through it and focus on taking crossbow shots.  Maybe just link it directly to the other manual control so when that switch is thrown, nobody gets in or out of the labyrinth...

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #53 on: September 14, 2014, 09:16:29 PM

Wait, am I dead already? Alas, the life of a gnome is brief.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #54 on: September 15, 2014, 08:47:11 AM

You died a hero, taking two beetles down with you, if it's any consolation.   Heartbreak

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #55 on: September 15, 2014, 10:49:10 AM

Apparently my gnomes motto is be quick, or be dead.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #56 on: September 15, 2014, 01:21:55 PM

So I've got blunderbusses and pitfall mechanisms invented.  Now that I've got my labyrinth tuned to where I can theoretically deal with any number of goblins or mants, I don't need to worry about how much loot I rack up.  Not sure whether I should start digging deeper so I can outfit all my dudes with steel guns and march them to their deaths against an infinite number of beetles (I'm 95% sure they're breeding in these giant caverns that I haven't explored yet, and apparently they'll just keep at it infinitely, which would explain why the game starts lagging whenever I'm near one of those caverns), or see if I can build a better goblin trap.

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #57 on: September 15, 2014, 04:11:02 PM

You died a hero, taking two beetles down with you, if it's any consolation.   Heartbreak

No no, that sounds like a good end. To gnome valhalla!

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #58 on: September 15, 2014, 04:46:54 PM

Oh no, is my guy dead too?

Also, I vote for setting up volley-firing gnome deathsquads.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #59 on: September 15, 2014, 04:55:13 PM

Oh no, is my guy dead too?

Affirmative.  When I have time at home I'll post some stats on your dudes (living and dead).  Gnome-Megrim only had a couple of kills under his belt because he'd been promoted relatively recently, but Gnome-Straz was a veteran and probably killed a lot of shit before he got eaten by beetles.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #60 on: September 15, 2014, 08:00:59 PM

The f13 gnomes, with notable dates, kills, and skills:

Hutch
Died: 8th day of Fall, Year 3
Kills: 9x goblin, 1x monitor lizard
Skills: Mining 36, Sword 46

Quinton
Kills: 2x goblin, 1x honey badger
Skills: Tinkering 228, Sword 14

Strazos
Kills: 2x goblin, 1x bear
Skills: Mining 23, Sword 46

Megrim
Died: 9th day of Fall, Year 3
Kills: 2x beetle
Skills: Animal Husbandry 23, Crossbow 36

Pagz
Died: 10th day of Fall, Year 3
Kills: 2x goblin, 1x honey badger, 5x beetle, 1x skeleton
Skills: Mining 42, Crossbow 45

Ironwood
Kills: 10x goblin, 1x ogre, 1x monitor lizard, 4x beetle, 1x zombie
Skills: Sword 57, Horticulture 53

Kail
Skills: Smelting 43, Armor Crafting 19

Ingmar
Kills: 1x beetle
Skills: Prospecting 38, Gemcutting 15

Paelos
Skills: Tinkering 135, Machining 18

Ezrast
Skills: Animal Husbandry 21, Sword 40
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 08:03:20 AM by Samwise »

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #61 on: September 15, 2014, 09:33:24 PM

I was made to believe I had cut more of a bloody swath across the land than that... Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: September 16, 2014, 02:43:28 AM

I haven't died yet.  That's almost as fun as finding out I was in there at all.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #63 on: September 16, 2014, 07:36:58 AM

I was made to believe I had cut more of a bloody swath across the land than that... Ohhhhh, I see.

Yeah, I hadn't checked and just assumed you'd done more damage.  Maybe it was because you were the tank; your squadmates musta stolen all your kills.

Gorky
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: September 16, 2014, 10:30:57 AM

Gnomoria is currently on sale for $1.99 in the Humble Bundle store for the next 48 hours. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

https://www.humblebundle.com/store
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #65 on: September 16, 2014, 01:02:03 PM

Gnomoria is currently on sale for $1.99 in the Humble Bundle store for the next 48 hours. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

https://www.humblebundle.com/store

I think if you like sim/Minecraft type bullshit you'd be insane not to pick this up at that price.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #66 on: September 16, 2014, 01:05:03 PM

I haven't died yet.  That's almost as fun as finding out I was in there at all.

I slapped your name on a random farmer the first time you posted in the thread and you've been wrecking shit ever since.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #67 on: September 16, 2014, 02:29:04 PM

Ironwood is kicking ass. I'm tinkering with shit and running away.

Sounds about right.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #68 on: September 17, 2014, 09:45:20 AM

Blunderbusses built.  Pimping out the Great Hall to lure more gnomads.

I've noticed a flaw in my gate mechanism, which is that the chickenshit engineers get spooked by the invaders (even though they're on the other side of a barrier) and sometimes run away when I need them to throw the lockdown switch.  Have plans to fix this by building a control room some distance away with all three switches in one spot, and move the tinker bench there so the engies will tend to hang out there when idle.  That ought to vastly improve response times and I bet it'll look cool.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #69 on: September 19, 2014, 12:20:01 AM

The new control room.

White lines added for illustrative purposes -- most of the actual linkage (lines of metal axles) is underground.  With the new setup the engineers are far removed from danger -- they just sit in this little shed and tinker at the tinker bench.  When bad guys enter through the outer door, the two "lock" switches are thrown so the bad guys are trapped in the labyrinth.  After they've been executed by firing squad, the inner lock and blocker are deactivated so that the traps can be reset and the bodies looted; then the blocker is reactivated and the outer door is reopened.  At no point do any of my gnomes enter a hostile area.

To let in merchants and gnomads, I close the outer door after they've passed it, and then deactivate the blocker on the inner door so they can get in.

Blunderbuss training has begun.  It'll take a while to get them as good as they were the the crossbows, but I have high hopes.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: Gnomoria: The Land of Sneers  
Jump to: