Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:38:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: Gnomoria: The Land of Sneers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gnomoria: The Land of Sneers  (Read 104554 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

on: September 04, 2014, 08:59:41 PM

Welcome, gnomads, to the Land of Sneers!  We'll see how long I can keep you alive before you're inevitably eaten by zombies, goblins, and/or cave spiders.

There were a couple of requests to do this as a "how to", so I'll try to 'splain stuff as I go, starting with the stuff I'm gonna do before I even unpause the game.  My gnomes have arrived in this new land in a little pile with all of their meager possessions, including some tools, some food, a couple of yaks (very important) and some wheat seeds (also very important).  

The first order of business is going to be getting all that precious agriculture up and running, so I designate a yak pasture (agriculture > pasture) and a wheat farm (agriculture > farm).  I pick some flat areas because a single designated area needs to be all on one level and I don't want to try to manage a yak herd across a bunch of different pastures.  Not all of the land is clear just yet, so I also issue some orders to fell some trees and forage some plants (agriculture > forage and fell).  Once I unpause, my woodcutters and farmers and ranchers will set about felling trees, tilling land, picking berries, and pasturing yaks.

Mousewheeling down (or hitting -) drops me down a few levels, where I'm going to start digging into the mountain (terrain > mine wall).  I have some general ideas already for what I want to put on the main floor, so I start digging some rooms accordingly.  This is all easy to change later too.  Ready?  Let's unpause and let the gnomes work.

A few seconds later my first big room has been dug out, so I can start putting stuff in it. Dirt stockpile (designate > stockpile) to one side so all those piles of dug-out dirt have somewhere to go (later I can set up a prospector gnome to sift them for scraps of precious metal).  I also start outlining my carpentry pipeline, which I want to get up and running ASAP since it'll be needed to build all the other workshops.  Log stockpile on one side, that's where my woodcutters will bring freshly felled trees.  Workbenches in the middle (I'll replace these with sawmills ASAP).  Plank stockpile next to the workbenches/sawmills.  Carpenter next to the plank stockpile.  I'll dig the room out a bit more soon to make room for the carpenter's stockpile.

Unfortunately, to make the workbenches, I need stone, and I don't have any.  Time to do some vertical digging -- I give orders to mine and dig stairs (terrain > mine for up, terrain > dig for down).  I only give orders to dig as far as level -7, since that's as far as you can go without worrying about monster spawns -- should be stone (though probably not metal) at that depth.  The stairs up go to level 1, where I'll be building bedrooms and stuff.

Tune in next time when some stuff will actually get built!  I'm now taking requests for gnome names.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 09:02:03 PM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 09:30:58 PM

Success!  On level -4 we hit stone.  I'll start my stone mining and masonry operations down here.  Let's designate a room to dig out and go back upstairs to see how the construction is doing.

Green indicates a task that a gnome is actively assigned to -- the two workbenches turned green because my miner produced stone, which means now the materials are available for a builder to assemble the workbench.  You can also see that the gnomes who aren't working on felling trees or mining are busily arranging items into their respective stockpiles.

In not very long at all, the workbenches are all built, and once they're done felling trees, my woodcutters (who are also my carpenters) come inside to start working on the components for the next build job, which is the carpenter.  The crude workbench can produce all of the components that the carpenter needs (but slower than a carpenter or sawmill would, which is why I have three of them -- to the extent I can have multiple woodcutters working at once I want to make sure they have places to work).

Once the carpenter is up I'll be able to build a stonecutter and a stonemason, which will be able to produce the sawblades I need to make sawmills, which will produce planks much faster  than crude workbenches and in turn speed up everything else that's built out of wood.  I'm not going to start any other build jobs until that first sawmill is up, because I want to get it as soon as possible, but once I can produce planks quickly I can start seriously expanding this operation.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 09:59:39 PM

Uhoh!  My excavations on level -4 have broken through into a natural cavern.  Scrolling down through the levels I see that this crack runs all the way to level -33, which means that nasty things could climb up through there and eat my gnomes' faces.  (I also see some veins of metal, which I'll be going after later.)

For now, I just build a floor over the crack and wall it up (build > terrain) to make this area safe.  I also designate a stone pipeline that's fairly similar to my wood pipeline -- raw stone pile, stonecutter, blocks, stonemason, finished products.  At this point I can wander off and without any further supervision my gnomes will build the carpenter and then use the carpenter to build the stonecutter and stonemason. 

In fact, now's a good time for me to give the order to build that first sawmill, since once the stonemason is up it'll then automatically start working on the sawblade.  I also plunk down a trough (built by the stonemason) to make feeding my yaks easier (unfed yaks will wander off; if there's a trough my rancher will fill it with straw and the yaks will eat as soon as they get hungry).  Again, that'll get built automatically once all the prereqs are in place.

Now I'll need to wait a bit for the gnomes to grind through all those jobs.  In the meantime maybe I'll see about getting some sleeping quarters set up...

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 08:58:43 PM

Upstairs on level 1, I carve out some rooms and give them the appropriate area designations -- a hospital, a great hall, a stockpile for bandages in easy reach of the hospital and the stairs, and a bunch of personal bedrooms.

For now I just put a few straw beds in the hospital -- the gnomes will sleep there in favor of on a bare floor, and I don't want to equip all of the bedrooms with even the meager luxury of straw beds since I don't have any way to get more straw until the first wheat harvest comes in, and I'm going to need most of my starting supply to keep the yaks fed until then.  Actual beds are a ways off since they require a few resources I'm not producing just yet.

Oh, and I plan out some tables and chairs for the great hall since my carpentry operation is up and running now.  Let's take a look at that.

With two sawmills operating at full speed milling logs into planks, I can start building crates and barrels, which greatly increase the capacity of my stockpiles.  I also start working on a brewing operation; fruit may grow on trees, but wine doesn't, and my gnomes will eventually die of thirst if I don't get a renewable source of drink for them.  I forgot to label the stockpiles in this pic, but there's a big grain stockpile that will eventually be shared by the distilleries and the kitchens (for making beer and bread respectively), and above that a fruit stockpile (for making wine), and on the right stockpiles for the beer and wine that the distilleries will produce.  Kitchens and other stuff will go over on the left.

Meanwhile I'm clearing more of the forest outside, both to feed the ravenous sawmills and to make room for more agriculture.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 02:08:58 AM

So here's the outside at this point.  Right on the front doorstep is the yak pasture, and I've got a couple of fields on the hillside where I've planted wheat and cotton.  I'm also starting an apple orchard (in space I've cleared by felling a grove of orange trees) next to the pasture.  Items made of apple wood are more valuable than items made of orange wood, and the fruit is equally useful, so if you only have one kind of tree, make it an apple tree.  I could have a bunch of different orchards but why bother?

I've also started on a training room that opens onto the hillside.  Usually I put this inside but it occurred to me that there's nothing in there which needs to be protected, and the only gnomes which go there will be suited up for combat.  My stonemason and carpenter are working on a set of primitive weapons (stone swords and wooden shields) that I'll be using to outfit my first militia.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 02:36:29 AM

As I'm getting ready to draft my first militia, I start figuring out what the squad's strategy is.  My settlement started with a set of metal armor, sword, and shield, so the squad leader will get that -- the other four squad members will have stone swords and wooden shields plus whatever bits of armor I'm able to scrape together.  In previous games I've usually had my unarmored fighters go unarmed and use the "Way of the Gnome" perk that gives them bonuses for being unarmed and unarmored, but this time I'm going with wooden shields and the "Shield Wall" squad perk that will help them block.

First I set up a uniform that will tell the gnomes to equip the stone sword and wooden shield (I don't have bone or leather armor yet, but will start making it as soon as I'm able and those gnomes will just put it on as it's available):

Then I set up a squad position that uses that uniform:

Then a formation that uses four "Grunt" gnomes and one "Sarge" (another position designed for the one heavily armored guy, this one specifies the standard "platemail" uniform and the perk "taunt" which steals aggro):

I set up a squad with this formation, assign some gnomes to it, and book them a regular time in the training room so they'll be ready when the first goblins show up...

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 11:56:17 AM

Here's my squad training up.  So far I've only assigned three gnomes to this squad (out of five slots) because with only 9 gnomes I don't want to pull more than a third of them off their normal jobs for half the day.  Once I get my first gnomads I'll use them to round it out.

I've also started using the "tracked items" option (under "Stocks") to keep track of my agriculture yields.  We can see that I'm still not producing enough grain to keep up with the demand from my brewer and baker, so I'll start expanding that wheat field.  Luckily I've got more fruit than I have room for in my stockpiles, and the vintner has filled a few barrels with wine, so our basic needs are well covered.

Back inside I've got another big chunk of workshops planned out.  Most of this won't come into play until I find something to butcher, but that point is fast approaching and I want to be ready.  The crafting pipelines get a little trickier here -- the butcher produces meat, bone, and hides, which are going to be consumed by the kitchen, bonecarver, and leatherworker respectively.  Leather armor also uses padding, which is produced by the tailor, who consumes cloth woven by the weaver.

The tailor can't be built until I have a bone needle from the bonecarver, which of course requires some bone.  This will need to wait until either my squad kills something (like a nice squishy goblin -- I could send them to attack one of the giant lizards roaming around the wilderness but they might not survive) or I butcher one of my yaks (not gonna do that until they start multiplying and I have excess) or I establish some trade (which I'm going to start working on soon).

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 01:59:50 PM

Summer arrives, and with it a group of gnomads.

I put them to work as farmers and miners, and add 2 of them to my squad.  No sooner is my squad full than a monitor lizard gets stuck in an excavation I'm working on around the edge of the kingdom, and I send the squad out to do battle with the beast before there's an unfortunate incident with one of my unarmed miners.

After almost a day of pitched battle, the lizard quietly bleeds out while my soldiers are running home to tend their own wounds.

Coming soon: bones!

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 02:06:27 PM

Fast forward to the start of the fall, and the arrival of a new gnomad, who finds that the entire kingdom is surrounded by a dirt wall that he has to pace around before finding the way in.

At some point this wall will funnel invading goblins into a death trap.  For now it's just a mild inconvenience.  The new arrival is drafted into service as our blacksmith, who will be very busy as soon as I set up a forge.

A honey badger also shows up and tries to start some shit, but all he manages to accomplish is bleeding all over the yaks.

We haven't even finished mopping up the badger blood and converting the dead badger into badger sausages before a group of goblins shows up, no doubt lured by our legendary yak cheeses.

All they accomplish is adding a fresh supply of ground meat to our kitchens.  (Yes, goblins are edible -- and delicious!)

The addition of bone to our raw material stocks has allowed the construction of a tailor shop, and with it many new wonderful amenities -- comfortable beds, a renewable supply of bandages, sacks for hauling grain, and padding for leather armor (the supply of which increases each time we kill and butcher something).

The bedroom with the fancy furniture and statues belongs to a visiting ambassador (the blonde gnome who can always be found loafing around my Great Hall).  She needs a nicely-furnished room to stay happy, but as long as she's around, merchants will visit periodically from her kingdom and I can trade stuff with them -- I'm producing carved bone statuettes for lack of anything better to do with all these goblin bones, and the merchants usually have useful livestock for trade.

The next project will be setting up blacksmithing workshops to put my new blacksmith to work.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 06:10:53 PM

So is this the approachable-version of Dwarf Fortress?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 06:54:37 PM

So is this the approachable-version of Dwarf Fortress?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

It probably looks more difficult than it is, most of what he's describing is higher level stuff for optimization.  It's mostly optional and pretty flexible (my fortresses end up looking pretty different), I think he's just describing the thought process behind why he's doing what he's doing in case someone else is having trouble and wants to copy him, not "ZIS IS DER VUN TRUE WAY TO PLAY" or anything.

IMO What you NEED to know to start out:
  • You can mine stone and cut down trees with your starting tools
  • You can use wood and stone to build Crude Workbenches, the most basic of all the workshops
  • After you've got a crude workbench or two, there are a bunch of different "families" of workshops, one (or more) for each material (stone, metal, wood, etc.) and you can see what they need in the build order.  But you don't really need to care about that at first, because the gnomes will automatically craft the parts you need.  So just drop plans for one of each workshop grouped so that you can locate them, and your gnomes will automatically build all of them... eventually.
  • Worst case scenario, if you completely botch your placement, you can deconstruct the workshop and move it somewhere later if you want.
  • Winter is a bitch in this game, since your plants won't grow, so make sure you have a lot of food (like, 300 or so depending on your population) stockpiled in the autumn.  Remember that a lot of food is probably going to be doing double duty as drink, too (turned in to wine).
  • Attacks from Goblins and other monsters are arguably the other biggest threat, so if you're starting out, you might want to play one or two rounds on "easy" or "peaceful" difficulty, because the military stuff is a bit counter-intuitive at first.
  • If you can't figure out why X isn't being built/produced, you probably have a bottleneck somewhere.  When you run out of something, nobody's going to tell you, they just stop work.  This isn't always obvious, (for example, to make a blacksmith you need an anvil, so your first instinct might be to go looking for metal, but you also need wood to make in to charcoal to fuel your forge) so make sure you've always (when possible) got a buffer of wood, stone, cotton, and other common materials.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 07:49:26 PM

Yeah, I'm definitely not sure if anything I'm doing is optimal, each new game I start ends up being different based on what gave me trouble in the last game.  There's a lot of other stuff I'm monkeying with and not mentioning, like changing job priorities and assignments (eg I told my farmers to prioritize farms ahead of crafting so they'll get the whole wheat harvest in before they start converting it to beer).  The big dirt wall is a new idea that won't pay off till I invent traps.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 10:36:30 PM

Winter has arrived, and the crops stop their production, but our stores are ample, and there is work to be done underground.

This will look familiar to anyone who has played Minecraft -- as we burrow into the earth, we plant torches to keep the darkness at bay.  Below level -7, dark squares have a chance to spawn monsters, so lighting becomes important.  Mining out a few veins of ore is enough to set Kail, our new smith, to work producing some decent armor for Strazos, captain of the guard.

Strazos here took over for the previous captain, Quinton, who was a hell of a fighter until he lost his left arm in battle.  Lack of arm protection might have had something to do with that.   why so serious?  So far we've managed to outfit Straz with a fancy bronze shield and one copper gauntlet, but now we're bottlenecked on leather (which we need for straps).  To make things worse, a band of goblins manages to kill our stud yak before we can drive them off.

Luckily, a gnome merchant comes to the rescue.  Not only can we replace the dead yak, but we can branch out into a new source of food and hide...

These emus will lay eggs, which we can turn into delicious yak cheese and/or sausage omelettes.  Might need to widen the hallways.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 01:39:41 PM by Samwise »

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 11:51:18 PM

I take it you don't farm underground in this like in DF?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 12:52:26 AM

You can but I haven't figured it out yet.  To prepare an area for mushroom farming it needs to be flooded or something.

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 02:56:21 AM

I wish to volunteer for the militia! Or yak poop cleaning. Either/or.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 04:53:49 AM

This is awesome.  I need to make some time for Gnomoria this week.  Maybe I'll finally get used to their wacky selection wireframe dealie.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 08:37:45 AM

This is awesome.  I need to make some time for Gnomoria this week.  Maybe I'll finally get used to their wacky selection wireframe dealie.

What helps a lot is to make sure your view is focused on the plane/depth that you want to select on.  You can select stuff from lower levels that you can see, but that's where the selection gets wonky and it gets hard to tell what you're doing.  It's better to mousewheel down until the thing you want to do is the topmost thing visible; then start your selection from somewhere on that plane.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 08:47:01 AM

What's the cost for this ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 09:39:36 AM

Currently $8 on Steam.  I think I got it for half off during the summer sale, but it's easily worth $8.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 04:47:29 PM

My previous question was said without any snark - would you say this is more approachable than DF?

I've always been fascinated by what you all do with DF, but that interface... swamp poop

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 05:41:20 PM

Definitely more approachable than DF, a big part of that is because of the interface being mouse driven, rather than DF's keyboard shortcuts.  It's not perfect or anything, there's still a lot of clicking involved if you want to, say, mine out a room, and there's not a lot if direction in terms of what you should build when, but it's way simpler than DF and the graphics make things a lot clearer.  Unfortunately, it's a bit simpler mechanically, too, especially in terms of things like interpersonal relationships (which basically don't exist in Gnomoria) and weird supernatural events (vampires, mythical beasts, etc.).
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #22 on: September 08, 2014, 05:59:42 PM

They do have zombies, which are pretty terrifying because their victims come back as more zombies.  Sadly, unlike with vampires in DF, you don't get to carry on with a settlement full of zombie gnomes.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 01:12:26 AM

From deep in the basement, as Kail forges new bronze weaponry and Ingmar polishes emeralds, Quinton announces his latest technological breakthroughs.

This doesn't do much for us just yet, but crossbows and traps won't be far behind.

The goblins manage to kill the occasional yak, but at this point the herd is large enough that it's able to sustain its numbers in the face of occasional losses; a yak is born roughly ever day, and the pasture has reached capacity so that means a yak is also butchered every day.  All of the soldiers are now outfitted with leather armor, and the larder is overflowing with delicious meat sandwiches.

Ore remains an unrenewable resource, so the mining operations have expanded significantly.

The grid pattern seems to be a good way to cover a lot of area looking for veins while using the minimum number of torches and doing the minimum amount of digging.  Tin in particular is a welcome sight since together with the abundance of copper from trading and smelting it means I can crank out a good supply of bronze gear.

The influx of gnomads has dried up, probably due to insufficient grandeur.  This suggests a good project for next time...

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 03:08:26 AM

Your oddly shaped rooms are offending me.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Pagz
Terracotta Army

I AM GOING TO WRESTLE THIS BEAR WITH MY BARE HANDS!

Reply #25 on: September 09, 2014, 08:53:31 AM

DF is a more approachable DF Ohhhhh, I see.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #26 on: September 09, 2014, 10:23:39 AM

Your oddly shaped rooms are offending me.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

My OCD desire to have nice square rooms is at odds with my OCD desire to pack all the workshops and associated stockpiles together as tightly as possible and not have any wasted space.  HALP.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #27 on: September 09, 2014, 11:33:23 AM

Also hooooooly shit I feel dumb for not getting screenshots of the Fucking Mant Invasion of 2014, but I was extremely preoccupied with trying to keep everyone from getting carried off by Giant Fucking Bugs.

In a nutshell, I was keeping too much food in our stockpiles, and by the time I realized my mistake a mant scout had already found it and called in five mant workers to help relieve us of the surplus.  They killed a farmer, a woodcutter, a group of incoming gnomads, and a bunch of livestock.  I managed to salvage the situation by temporarily disbanding the militia (there were too many mants to fight), sounding an alarm bell to withdraw everyone to the Great Hall (which doubles as a panic room), and letting the mants plunder our food until they went away. 

Not the most glorious chapter in the history of the Land of Sneers, but we live.  I'll be keeping an eye on food/drink stocks more closely in the future, believe me.   swamp poop

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 09, 2014, 12:07:28 PM

Also hooooooly shit I feel dumb for not getting screenshots of the Fucking Mant Invasion of 2014, but I was extremely preoccupied with trying to keep everyone from getting carried off by Giant Fucking Bugs.

In a nutshell, I was keeping too much food in our stockpiles, and by the time I realized my mistake a mant scout had already found it and called in five mant workers to help relieve us of the surplus.  They killed a farmer, a woodcutter, a group of incoming gnomads, and a bunch of livestock.  I managed to salvage the situation by temporarily disbanding the militia (there were too many mants to fight), sounding an alarm bell to withdraw everyone to the Great Hall (which doubles as a panic room), and letting the mants plunder our food until they went away. 

Not the most glorious chapter in the history of the Land of Sneers, but we live.  I'll be keeping an eye on food/drink stocks more closely in the future, believe me.   swamp poop

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 09, 2014, 12:19:25 PM

LOL.

I got that reference.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #30 on: September 09, 2014, 12:20:18 PM

That is indeed how you get them.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #31 on: September 10, 2014, 09:41:31 AM

The gnomes took a vote and decided that if they were going to have to spend days cowering in the Great Hall hiding from Giant Fucking Bugs, it'd need to be a little less cramped.  And maybe have some showers.

We're still working on getting running water (I don't think showers are actually a thing), but the new and greater Great Hall is coming along quickly.  Decorative stone walls (in serpentine), stone doors (in sandstone), apple-wood chairs and tables.  I'm even going to fire up the kiln and start on some ceramic tile for the floor.  Shit's gonna be fancy.

In technological news, Quinton has invented some useful things: traps and crossbows.  Two bronze crossbows have been built and are waiting for me to come up with a new squad formation that will make use of them.  In the meantime I'm finally trapping the fuck out of the gated entrance to my kingdom.

Right before I snapped this screenshot, a bear ran through the line of blade traps around the map's edge and took enough hits to start bleeding, so I'm hoping I'll see a message later telling me it's bled out and I can just go pick it up.  You can see I've built a labyrinth (lined by a trench instead of a wall so that I'll have the option of having snipers take potshots at enemies while they run the gauntlet) and am setting spike traps all along that.  I'm not actually sure yet what the difference is between the two; I think blade traps have more AoE, so I'm having them around the outer edge with the idea of softening up big clumps of lightly armored goblins.

We've also got a new crew of gnomads, so everyone killed in the mant incident has been replaced.  Next task will be figuring out this whole crossbow thing, and maybe doing some more mining because all of my ore has mysteriously been used in trap construction.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #32 on: September 12, 2014, 12:12:32 AM

The new traps are working out well.  Here's the aftermath of a squad of goblins springing all the traps and then arriving on my doorstep minus a few gallons of blood:

My kingdom worth is high enough now that the goblins come with lots of armor and even the occasional ogre.

The new and improved militia is up and running.  Two squads now, each headed by a guy in full bronze armor, with three light-armored backstabbers and one sniper.  Megrim has been promoted from full-time yak poop shoveler to part-time poop shoveler and part-time marksgnome.  I've also moved the training area over to the Labyrinth of Pain so that my soldiers will see incoming goblins BEFORE they get to my doorstep, and before poor Quinton goes running out to reset the traps.

Mining operations continue; I've mined out a few levels now, which is how I'm able to upgrade my military equipment (I'm working on adding more heavy armor to the squads so there's a higher tank:squishy ratio).  I've also finished remodeling the Great Hall, and added a few more bedrooms to accommodate the new gnomads that the hall is attracting:

New tech developments have been coming in as well; we now have levers and mechanical walls, which might be enough for me to start experimenting with more advanced trap designs.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #33 on: September 12, 2014, 12:29:24 AM

Thanks for this write up Sam!

Looks good, going to give it a try when I return.  Even if it doesn't quite have the sociopathic level of detail DF has, I mostly gloss over that shit and never pay attention to individual dwarves anyways.  This looks like it still has all the core systems I liked to play with in DF (plus some original stuff).

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #34 on: September 12, 2014, 10:21:25 AM

I'm glad this is actually useful/entertaining to people.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS  I'm taking suggestions from the peanut gallery if anyone wants me to focus on something in particular.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: Gnomoria: The Land of Sneers  
Jump to: