Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:08:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Lauren Bacall dead at 89 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lauren Bacall dead at 89  (Read 4276 times)
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

on: August 12, 2014, 05:45:39 PM

Another celebrity death to report.  Lauren Bacall was a little before my time so I'm not really familiar with her work but I know she was in some great movies and was married to Humphrey Bogart.  Not nearly as surprising as Robin Williams but still a significant loss to the film world.  Sadly, her death probably won't receive the attention it deserves because it happen so close to Williams, much like what happened with Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett a few years ago.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/lauren-bacall-screen-legend-dead-at-89-1.2734806
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 06:16:33 PM

We had it all, just like Bogey and Bacall. Staring in our own late late show, just like we did in Key Largo.

That's two of the three. Who will be the third?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 06:45:02 PM

What about that guy who was the really old guy from Game of Thrones? 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 07:37:13 PM

War Machine.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 03:23:40 AM

Oh god please not Betty White... Ohhhhh, I see.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 08:45:33 AM

This week has sucked.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 09:11:38 AM

And it's only Wednesday.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 09:32:51 AM

War Machine.

Joke aside, I think this is the third and it started 6 months back with Philip Seymour Hoffman.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 09:48:39 AM

War Machine.

I don't think the type of movies he made would qualify him as a celebrity.
WayAbvPar

Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 09:51:54 AM

War Machine.

Joke aside, I think this is the third and it started 6 months back with Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Speaking of PSH- I stumbled on to "last known photographs' page in a late night surfing session the other day and saw a pic of him passed out on a commercial flight 2 days before he died  Heartbreak
I am sure it seems mostly innocuous at the time, but looking back it is really sad that no one saw how far gone he was in time to try to save him.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 11:07:05 AM

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
WayAbvPar

Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 11:15:48 AM

96 is a hell of a run. Good for him. I remember when he did the Jeopardy voiceover for Weird Al's "I Lost On Jeopardy" and the fact that Weird Al could get him to do it was very cool. And this was back before Weird Al was move than a novelty act, really. Good on him. What a voice.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 07:00:45 AM

I'd have said James Garner started the current three, as he died less than a month ago.

On Seinfeld - in its era, that show was damn funny. For me it takes a special talent to make me enjoy embarrassment comedy. That show had it, Faulty Towers had it. Watching Curb or the Office is like pulling teeth for me on the other hand.

As for Robin Williams - it took me a while to just process this. I can still clearly remember watching the Happy Days episode where Mork first appeared and I just wanted more of it. Not everything he did resonated with me, the manic-ness could sometimes be too much, but you always felt that Williams had something extra about him that no one else had. His ability to pull comedy out of seeming thin air was incredible. It's weird that it never really occurred to me that he had personal issues because his comedy always seemed to be so full of the joy of life. Reflecting on it though, it makes some sense.

edit: crap, wrong thread for most of this. What I get for reading two related threads in a row.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Lauren Bacall dead at 89  
Jump to: