Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:38:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Mad Max: Fury Road 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mad Max: Fury Road  (Read 90394 times)
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #280 on: September 17, 2015, 09:14:27 AM

Also, Mad Max is a superfluous clown character. There's no point to him anymore. Which is a shame. It could've been all Furiosa and gone full retard with feminism, and I still would've been entertained.
I like the comparison to Spider. The guy passed in to legend.

EDIT: I.E. Post Apocalypitic Odysseus
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 09:18:13 AM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: September 17, 2015, 09:16:08 AM

The movie had no shit parts, your argument, like furiosa is invalid.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #282 on: September 17, 2015, 09:21:59 AM

The movie had no shit parts, your argument, like furiosa is invalid.

Damn. I can't even be that proud of stuff I created myself. But definitely not someone else's.

I kind of make a shitty "fanatic", I guess.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #283 on: September 25, 2015, 07:03:37 PM

This was pretty terrible. It was as if Micheal Bay made a remake of Thunderdome without any of the plot to slow stuff down.

Also, this needed to not have Mad Max in the title.

Also, fuck Tom Hardy for being a completely cunty shitwad in interviews.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #284 on: September 25, 2015, 08:52:27 PM

Well, at least the crazy contingent is all in agreement on this one.   why so serious?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #285 on: September 25, 2015, 10:06:49 PM

Well, he is right about Tom Hardy though. Guy's a festering shitweasel to lots of people.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: September 25, 2015, 10:34:31 PM

I will make one complaint about the film. In the scene before he gets the chain cut off his neck, only the blood line is showing, not the chain.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: September 26, 2015, 10:01:13 AM

This was pretty terrible. It was as if Micheal Bay made a remake of Thunderdome without any of the plot to slow stuff down.

In a long and storied career of being wrong this is truly your magnum opus.

I am the .00000001428%
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: September 26, 2015, 10:02:21 AM

Link ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #289 on: September 26, 2015, 11:09:10 AM

Link ?

I don't have links, but he gets very shitty to people that want to ask about his sexuality. Which, he should, because it's none of anyone's fucking business and has zero relevance to his ability as an actor.

I'm of the exact opposite opinion on bob's post, but this is not new territory for me.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #290 on: September 26, 2015, 12:38:16 PM

Well, here's a link that will help put things into context for this next thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNOBl1CQ2dg

Summary:

Back when Hardy was a nobody actor and myspace beefcake model he played a closeted gay english mob guy. He gave an interview to a gay magazine. When asked if he had ever had sexual experiences with other men he said yes and bunch of other shit. Quotes are in the first link. Inception comes out and the interview gets reprinted in a bigger magazine. Hardy comes out with a "Wait a minute, I'm all man. Gay stuff doesn't bug me, but I don''t like dicks. I've never put my dick in another guy and never had a dick in my ass." Apparently follow ups about his mouth go unresolved.

So now, the second clip is from a press conference for Legend, where he plays the Kray brothers. So once again, a role directly related to homosexuality. The guy asking the question did a really terrible job following up and clarifying, and it certainly wasn't the ideal setting for the question. But it's not as if the question was random bullshit out of thin air, or not related to the role, and it certainly has a direct relevance to Hardy's history in the industry. There were a lot of other ways Hardy could have dealt with that weren't as dickish. For instance pointing out that it's the second gay gangster he's played, but that doesn't make him a gangster either. Or an answer about the importance of public perceptions on an actor's career. Or an answer about the natural sexual experimentation during youth. Or just saying it's not something he talks about anymore because what he's said in the past has been taken out of context. Or, in this case not taken a general question about the difficulty in discussing sexuality in the industry and turned it into a specific, direct question about himself just so he could be a dick.

That's just one example though and he gets like that about any subject, not just his sexuality. That's pretty much the way he is. He just has no tact or class. I get a really strong Russel Crowe level asshole vibe from him. Hopefully he torpedoes himself like Crowe before he gets Crowes success.

In a long and storied career of being wrong this is truly your magnum opus.
The three statements I made are all factually correct. If you disagree then state your case. Otherwise slink back under whatever shitass rock you crawled out from to snark like a bitch.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 12:43:34 PM by angry.bob »

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: September 26, 2015, 12:48:57 PM

Dude sucked a dick and now has PTSD and gets agitated when the subject is broached. 
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: September 26, 2015, 12:51:44 PM

"This was pretty terrible" is not a factually correct statement, it's an opinion.  The opinion of someone who is wrong about everything ever to be more exact. "It was as if Michael Bay made a remake of Thuderdome without any of the plot to slow stuff down" is once again an opinion, once again coming from you, which makes it factual only in your addled brain. Just because YOU can't figure out a plot without a George Lucas style introductory crawl doesn't mean every movie needs to be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. "Also, this needed to not have Mad Max in the title" doesn't even make it to the opinion level, it is more of a suggestion and a pretty idiotic one to boot.  "Also, fuck Tom Hardy for being a complete cunty shitwad in interviews" no, fuck cunty shitwad interviewers for asking personal questions about where someone likes to put their dick, Tom Hardy's reaction was fucking perfect.  Also, that's not a factual statement you dumb asshole, its your retarded opinion.

I am the .00000001428%
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #293 on: September 26, 2015, 01:05:16 PM

I don't see any problem with the way Tom Hardy responded in that video. The way Bob set it up I was expecting some crazy fucking rant, but I think Hardy responds about as well as anyone could have when you're there to promote a movie as opposed to talking about sexual orientation in the film industry. Also in that article excerpt he states pretty unambiguously "But I’m not into men sexually". I'm not sure why any "journalists" would feel the need to follow that up. Are they asking for specifics about what he's done with other guys? If he touched another man's dick at some point in his life does that somehow make him gay, even if he's not actually into men sexually? Is there any reason anyone should give a shit?

Edit: Debated just deleting this post because there's really no need to help Bob drag a movie thread down into politics, especially since he has his own thread down there for this sort of stuff, but I'll refrain from deleting my post for now.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 01:09:59 PM by Velorath »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: September 26, 2015, 08:28:18 PM

Bob gets bored with the traffic in Politics now and again and goes cruising. I'm just surprised he didn't decide to talk about Furiosa.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: September 26, 2015, 08:33:41 PM

Bob gets bored with the traffic in Politics now and again and goes cruising. I'm just surprised he didn't decide to talk about Furiosa.

Pleased don't fucking give him any ideas about additional topics for here, either.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #296 on: September 27, 2015, 10:14:10 AM

Yeah, I don't really see anything wrong with Tom Hardy's comments or his reactions in that video. I thought the question was kind of stupid.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: September 27, 2015, 10:46:43 AM

Yeah, I don't really see anything wrong with Tom Hardy's comments or his reactions in that video. I thought the question was kind of stupid.

If some "reporter" started asking me about my sex life, I think I would tell them to fuck right off.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: September 27, 2015, 11:23:54 AM

It seemed like a pretty dumb question that was either so broad as to be largely off-topic (if we take it to be all about Hollywood and sexual openness) or so specific as to just be asking Hardy if he finds it difficult to talk about his sexuality (though again pretty off-topic). The reporter really did a bad job of linking it to the movie.  He was kind of a dick about it but nothing seemed to be Russel Crowe levels.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #299 on: September 27, 2015, 11:55:15 AM

This movie could have been named "There and Back Again". Because that was the entire plot, really; Going from location A to location Æ (they moved slightly past their intended target, Z, and went all the way into the Norwegian alphabet), and then back to start again. With explosions along the way at C, D, H, M, N, R, S, T, U, W and X.

Entertaining, but I hope it doesn't win any "storyline of the year" awards.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: September 27, 2015, 12:09:50 PM

I don't people are blown away by the depth and complexity of the plot, what is impressive is how little dialogue and plot manages to convey a pretty well told story. There is very, very little dialogue really in this movie but at no point was I ever bored and just hoping something would happen. Neither was I ever confused about who the fuck someone was, what they were doing or why they were doing it. I mean some of the why was down to my own interpretation but I had plenty of material to base my guesses off. It's a good example of visual storytelling.

I found the separation of the viewpoint character from really the 'main' character of the plot interesting. I enjoyed it because I thought the movie was strong enough to carry that and I think it's a brave creative choice that's really fucking rare in Hollywood movies. I thought it was handled well but it's going to be jarring for people because it's not something we commonly see. I know my dad hated it because Max didn't really do anything and spent the first third stuck to the front of a car (he also hated the Man from UNCLE because it was all too stylised). I think it's fair to bring that up as something you didn't like about the movie, I think it's wrong to use it as a critique of why it's a bad movie.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #301 on: September 27, 2015, 12:56:58 PM

Trying to do complex, over-the-top "EPIC" stories in every film is one of the reasons so many fail and are unfulfilling after being watched. The reliance on exposition rather than telling things visually in modern films doesn't help, either.

Somewhere along the way studios forgot sometimes you can tell a simple story and do it well. This movie did that and was well-rewarded for it.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #302 on: September 28, 2015, 09:33:35 AM

One criticism I often have for movies is "that story was basically 2 pages worth" because all too often Hollywood tries to stretch that thin veneer into 2-2.5 hour movies and it doesn't work. Michael Bay is a huge culprit of this because things like his Transformers movies are these huge, sweeping, epic shitfests that when boiled down become 2 pages of story surrounded by 80 gigs of Baysplosions. And even that 2 pages is utterly fucking incomprehensible (the second Transformers movie was this - the story never made sense even though it was essentially robots fight over new thingie).

Fury Road wasn't great because it was a vast, complicated story - it was simple story told visually with style. Everything made sense with the barest of exposition. And it was visually stunning. It should be required viewing for every action director/screenwriter ever.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: September 28, 2015, 02:15:50 PM

The reliance on exposition rather than telling things visually in modern films doesn't help, either.
This right here is why I loved this film; Fury Road nails "show, don't tell."

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: October 06, 2015, 12:56:39 PM

there's nothing modern about exposition. Bond films, My Dinner with Andre, Noir Films....

beer geek.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: October 06, 2015, 04:20:30 PM

Picked it up on blu-ray yesterday, watched it over dinner with some family who hadn't seen it yet. Pretty much everyone forgot they were eating at various points. If you can make my family shut the fuck up and/or tear themselves away from hot chicken and crusty french bread for a movie, you're working miracles. Miller had them.

Quote of the night: 'Well, there goes the hot one..." - my sister's GF as Splendid meets Monster Truck.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #306 on: October 08, 2015, 04:11:43 AM

Maybe I was really tired but I fell asleep in this. Explosions. Driving. Couple hotties. Psycho white guys wanting to die for mask dude. Driving through the desert. Breaking down for 10 minutes but somehow the huge pack of bloodthirsty speeding maniacs seem to be taking their time. I made it to some mountain pass where they had some deal and I think I passed out then. I'll probably try rewatching it just cause I usually agree with the majority in here, but I wasn't super awed by this in any way.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
WayAbvPar

Reply #307 on: October 08, 2015, 08:48:21 AM

Maybe I was really tired but I fell asleep in this. Explosions. Driving. Couple hotties. Psycho white guys wanting to die for mask dude. Driving through the desert. Breaking down for 10 minutes but somehow the huge pack of bloodthirsty speeding maniacs seem to be taking their time. I made it to some mountain pass where they had some deal and I think I passed out then. I'll probably try rewatching it just cause I usually agree with the majority in here, but I wasn't super awed by this in any way.
Pretty much exactly my response. I was bored for long sections of the movie.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: October 08, 2015, 09:34:09 AM

Hic sunt dracones.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: October 14, 2015, 07:38:49 AM

Tried watching on a plane. I'm kinda with Van Damme and dumpster fire on this one.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #310 on: October 14, 2015, 12:37:31 PM

It is a very visual movie, so an airplane probably doesn't do much justice to it.  I only ever saw Gravity on an airplane, and was equally unimpressed with it, despite a lot of the praise given to it by people here.  Same goes for Oblivion, though I think it suffered other major issues, heh.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: December 24, 2015, 08:34:15 PM

We've been looking for a new Xmas Eve movie to replace Fellowship of the Ring, and we tried this. On a big screen TV, it totally fit the bill. This is a ridiculously entertaining and sometimes beautiful movie.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: February 28, 2016, 06:53:55 PM

How many academy awards is this going to take???

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #313 on: February 28, 2016, 08:40:53 PM

Apparently every single effects one. I'm beginning to think it will get picture too.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #314 on: February 28, 2016, 10:37:59 PM

There was too much Oscar bait for that to happen.

-Rasix
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Mad Max: Fury Road  
Jump to: