Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:14:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Mad Max: Fury Road 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mad Max: Fury Road  (Read 90395 times)
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: May 13, 2015, 12:56:26 PM

edit:  I read they really didn't even use a traditional script for this movie; just a storyboard that kind of evolved as the movie was being made.  It was essentially one big scene and none of the actors really could tell wtf was even going on contextually.

I imagine the first Mad Max's script was pretty barebones too.

That reminds me of a time a friend and I were flipping channels and caught Mad Max on a spanish channel. We laughed and thought it would be hilarious. Then we realized there really isn't a lot of dialogue.

Edit: As of 10:20am Pacific on Thursday... we're at 102 reviews on RT. only 1 negative review.

Jesus christ. WHATS HAPPENING.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 11:09:08 AM by sickrubik »

beer geek.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: May 14, 2015, 12:09:37 PM

Yup, up to 99% now.  Ridiculous.  "....worth waiting 30 yrs to see."  and "Theron is the new Ripley"  are quotes that have been said.
Though I read an article saying Pitch Perfect 2 would dig heavily into the profits.   awesome, for real    The world is broken.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 12:26:20 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #72 on: May 14, 2015, 12:35:00 PM

If you're looking for some of the best practical effects and stunt work you won't be disappointed.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #73 on: May 14, 2015, 01:29:27 PM

In its defense, the first Pitch Perfect was pretty fucking funny.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: May 14, 2015, 02:32:13 PM

Didn't really NEED another reason to see the film, but thank you mouth-breathers!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/13/mens-rights-activists-mad-max_n_7276144.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

beer geek.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #75 on: May 14, 2015, 02:37:06 PM

/facepalm

Also, shouldn't Mad Max be considered Australian culture and not American culture since the original movie was set in Australia?

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: May 14, 2015, 02:43:04 PM

YUP.

beer geek.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: May 14, 2015, 02:47:03 PM

In its defense, the first Pitch Perfect was pretty fucking funny.

I didn't think it would be my type of movie, but it's definitely one of the better comedies in the last few years.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: May 14, 2015, 03:09:52 PM

Didn't really NEED another reason to see the film, but thank you mouth-breathers!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/13/mens-rights-activists-mad-max_n_7276144.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

Hahaha.  Haha.  Ha.  Fuck You.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: May 14, 2015, 03:17:28 PM

/facepalm

Also, shouldn't Mad Max be considered Australian culture and not American culture since the original movie was set in Australia?

BUT HE DROVE A FORD!!!!

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: May 14, 2015, 07:44:08 PM

oh, christ, someone said Candyman three times. Here it comes.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #81 on: May 14, 2015, 08:32:17 PM

Random crazy person on the Internet says something stupid. Doesn't really deserve even this small amount of attention.

It's a good movie. I'd still suggest tempering expectations somewhat. I know some people are going to see all these great reviews and get their hype meters up to a level no movie can live up to. There's an odd pacing at the start, and it takes a little while for the real action to get underway (it's largely non-stop after that though). The plot is minimal and straight-forward, and there's not a lot of character development. Other than Theron, the women in this movie are all fairly interchangeable. Max doesn't talk much of course, and while Theron eventually offers up a brief origin story, it's not really a big focus. There's never a lot of downtime for the characters to deal with much other than survival, and yet despite most of the cast only getting very minimal characterization there's a genuine tension anytime one of them is in danger. The acting is solid, and Nicholas Hoult in particular does a fantastic job. And like I said before, the action is top notch.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: May 14, 2015, 09:15:46 PM

Well, I just got out... and I see what the reviewers are talking about.  It deserves WAY more than something like Furious 7 will get, bar none.  I mentioned The Matrix before as having been the last action movie to attain this level of critical praise and I see why.  Is it better?  No.  Is it the best non sci-fi, pure action flick in the past 30yrs?  You could make a case.  Best post-apoc?  Yah. 

Tips:
-Go see it in 3D, if not just for the ending.  Very well done effects, though it's not like it's in your face all the time.
-Do not skimp on the movie theatre (like I did).  It's terribly important that your theatre have a pretty strong center channel, as the dialogue struggles to come through over the carnage.  Also, the soundtrack is an important part of the movie. (as evidenced by the drums/guitar).  If you can find an IMAX or RPX, do it.
-See it in a crowded theatre; definitely a group experience.  This movie gives no actual fucks what it portrays really.  The shock value multiplies in groups.

For what you would expect to be a carnage-filled crazyfest, it really is a visually glorious and beautiful film. 
I'm probably going to see it again in a better theatre.

Theron was Theron.  She's no Ripley, but her character does grow on you even without much dialogue.  Hardy nailed it.  Everyone nailed it really.  I'll disagree with Velorath on the women being interchangeable.  They're not at all.  Everything from their mannerisms to the way they look are pretty important, though subtle.  There is no interchangeable vibe there.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #83 on: May 14, 2015, 10:09:48 PM

I'll disagree with Velorath on the women being interchangeable.  They're not at all.  Everything from their mannerisms to the way they look are pretty important, though subtle.  There is no interchangeable vibe there.

Three out of five of them have no real acting experience and almost all of them are known more for being models. Zoë Kravitz is the only one that seems to spend a lot of time acting. Given what's been said about the near lack of script for this movie, I think it's a bit of a stretch to believe their mannerisms are some sort of subtle acting that says something about each of their characters. Their characters all have the same backstory, and I wouldn't even know any of the characters names without looking at IMDB. You could remove at least 2 of them from the movie entirely and it wouldn't change anything.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: May 14, 2015, 10:44:37 PM

oh, christ, someone said Candyman three times. Here it comes.

angry.bob...angry.bob...angry.bob
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #85 on: May 15, 2015, 11:51:12 AM

You might have to wait to see it on an IMAX screen; at least around here those are all still being pretty well monopolized by Age of Ultron.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: May 15, 2015, 12:09:12 PM

The fallback is RPX or whatever proprietary system the theatre uses to pander their quality stuff.  Just don't see it in a regular theatre.  You can see Ultron in a regular theatre; not this.  Similar deal as was with Gravity I suppose.

I'll disagree with Velorath on the women being interchangeable.  They're not at all.  Everything from their mannerisms to the way they look are pretty important, though subtle.  There is no interchangeable vibe there.

Three out of five of them have no real acting experience and almost all of them are known more for being models. Zoë Kravitz is the only one that seems to spend a lot of time acting. Given what's been said about the near lack of script for this movie, I think it's a bit of a stretch to believe their mannerisms are some sort of subtle acting that says something about each of their characters. Their characters all have the same backstory, and I wouldn't even know any of the characters names without looking at IMDB. You could remove at least 2 of them from the movie entirely and it wouldn't change anything.

You say that like it's a bad thing. They're hot sweaty models in the desert with blunderbusses and a 2000hp war-rig.  You've got a spunky, independent redhead.  The crazed half-genius blonde waif with odd teeth.  The pic-perfect eastern euro. "favorite" of the overlord.  Kravitz as the angsty half-black engineer type with close-cropped hair, etc.  Granted, these are all physical things...  I thought they were decently separated.  It's not like they all played the same character, even if they had the same over-arching sexSlave backstory.  Given the idea of the film, that's as far as it could go anyways.

If the movie focused on just the models with Theron, it would've been just as good assuming they'd developed them more.  Max was just some random dude who ended up helping, which was kinda the point.  As has been always.  He has his demons but they don't pound you over the head with it, except when they need the impetus to get him to do shit that would seem Mad.

It's just a fuckin brilliant film.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 12:14:03 PM by Ghambit »

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #87 on: May 15, 2015, 01:57:58 PM

You say that like it's a bad thing.

No I just say it as a statement of fact. There's not a lot of characterization in this story, and there doesn't really need to be.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #88 on: May 15, 2015, 02:42:06 PM

You might have to wait to see it on an IMAX screen; at least around here those are all still being pretty well monopolized by Age of Ultron.

Yep and the next movie scheduled to replace it here is Tomorrowland. No Imax for Mad Max. Boo.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: May 15, 2015, 07:35:43 PM

My friends seem to not be on the bandwagon for this, they said the action is awesome but the story and everything is crap.  I kind of expected them to be fanboys of the movie too.  I personally am not a fan enough to really care to see it in theaters.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #90 on: May 15, 2015, 10:15:37 PM

This movie is bonkers. Loved it and so did my wife (which kinda surprised me).

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: May 16, 2015, 12:37:27 AM

i loved it, it seemed to me that the Max character took a large back seat to Theron's character.  I found that a really brave and refreshing move by Hollywood's standards.  Even though Max took a back seat I thought the character wasn't diminished at all.  I loved the way that the writers/ director showed he was actually mad, it was a great move on their part.  Every change to the character from the Mel Gibson version I liked.  This movie so far has been the most enjoyable to me ( kind of surprised to say that I enjoyed this movie more than ultron).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 12:42:34 AM by MournelitheCalix »

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #92 on: May 16, 2015, 12:27:37 PM

Movie was great. I agree that Max took a back seat to Furyosa, but it didn't matter. The story became hers, Max was a player in it. (Underscored by him doing several things offscreen that would have been onscreen if it were his story.)

The world was so awesomely fleshed-out it really grabbed me. I had a great time watching it, even if it wasn't in 3d or Imax. (The only cheese scene would have been that last explosion.  awesome, for real )

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: May 16, 2015, 01:36:18 PM

Heh, this comment on AVClub summed it up

THIS MOVIE IS LIKE A WOMEN'S STUDIES COURSE, TAUGHT BY 'MACHO MAN' RANDY SAVAGE.  WHILE HE'S ON FIRE.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #94 on: May 16, 2015, 02:02:09 PM

It also makes you want to play Fallout again.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: May 16, 2015, 02:26:33 PM

A friend on Facebook had posted that he wasn't sure if he wanted to see it because it obviously borrowed too much from Borsrlands.

beer geek.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: May 16, 2015, 02:41:00 PM

Heh, this comment on AVClub summed it up

THIS MOVIE IS LIKE A WOMEN'S STUDIES COURSE, TAUGHT BY 'MACHO MAN' RANDY SAVAGE.  WHILE HE'S ON FIRE.
Ooooh, YEAH!

Now I want to see it more than ever.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: May 16, 2015, 02:56:31 PM

Saw it last night, this was a blast. Nonstop explosions and the setting was great. I also want to reply Fallout now.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: May 16, 2015, 03:33:45 PM

Witness me!

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: May 16, 2015, 03:43:39 PM

43,000 user ratings on RT at this point...  93% positive.  98% critical consensus.  For an action film. For me, best movie of the year so far, by far - easily blows away Ultron as a "movie."  I don't see how anyone can have anything negative to say about it at all really, except for maybe it being too graphic for some?  It's really not even that gory; it's more like watching a crazy scene from City of Lost Children or something, with fire, and greasy models.

I didn't get the Fallout vibe, I got the Twisted Metal vibe.  The whole movie is pretty much Twisted Metal on a dragstrip, wherein the world itself is also trying to kill you.  You're exhausted by the end (ala Blackhawk Down), but still want more.  There will be sequels, you can take that to the bank.

My only gripe?

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: May 16, 2015, 04:06:28 PM

The world building they did in the movie, which is god tier, did feel like fallout to me but the movie itself was more in the vein of twister metal for sure.

The shot at the end.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #101 on: May 16, 2015, 04:10:59 PM

There will be sequels, you can take that to the bank.

Hardy is signed on for four movies, and Miller has said he'd like to do a couple more. It took them a long time to get this movie out though (started filming at the end of 2011, and Miller had first started talking about it in 2006) and Miller is 70 now. This isn't the kind of thing they can just churn out sequels for, at least not if they want to have the same quality of movie.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: May 16, 2015, 05:03:45 PM

I wouldn't be so sure. It is not going to be #1 this weekend and will struggle to clear 150M in the US. It will have to do big overseas to make back its money and that is tough with the IP not being that big internationally and no big name star.

-H.L. Mencken
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #103 on: May 16, 2015, 05:12:46 PM

Any potential sequels would likely have nowhere near the budget of Fury Road. Hell, even Fury Road wasn't supposed to have a budget this high.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: May 16, 2015, 05:24:18 PM

This was one long glorious orgy of a road chase.  I loved it!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Mad Max: Fury Road  
Jump to: