Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:16:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam summer sale 2014 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Steam summer sale 2014  (Read 95922 times)
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: June 26, 2014, 07:12:31 PM

So my kid is massively into trains, and I've been considering getting one of those train sims to play together. I know that this isn't most people's cup of tea, but any recommendations of Trainz Simulator 12 at $11.99 versus TS2 2014 at $8.24?

Train Simulator is all about the DLC for new trains/ tracks.  Browse those then decide.
Disclosure: I have a stupid number of hours in this stupid game for no good reason other than I started creating scenarios for it and for whatever reason both really like it and it's a good way to pass conference calls or just oddly scratch the same part of the brain that MMORPG quest grinding hit.

That said, I'd go TS 2014 over Trainz without any hesitation. Both are definitely DLC heavy, but it helps to remember that the DLC is different than other games - the fanbase tends to be rather parochial when it comes to what they want to buy.  Americans tend to focus on North America and Canada, Germans and Germany, Brits and England. Freeware and 3rd Party support tends to fill in the neglected countries.

But as for the Steam Sale - it's a good mix of stuff to toy around with at $8.24.  Hamburg is a really nice German route (though the German fanbase seems to come up with some straight up BS time sensitive scenarios).  London-Faversham is short, but gives you a neat high-speed train to toy around with for passenger runs.  The weak link is really Donner Pass.  Even though they've revised it somewhat, it's just not that interesting a route (at least for me) to run as it's predominately drive up a mountain, drive down a mountain (which some people really like doing, but I'm not one of them).  Also, half the career scenarios/Steam achievements are broken for it.
Still though - between the three, there's a good mix of long/short mainline runs, switching (or shunting if you're a Brit), and passenger runs. 

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #211 on: June 27, 2014, 08:38:01 AM

I want to point and you, laugh and shout "NEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!"

Then I look at how many hours I've put into Cities in Motion 2 in the last few days and calmly shut the fuck up.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #212 on: June 27, 2014, 10:01:59 AM

10% off.  Why even fucking bother?

edit: 25% off.  I guess it takes a bit for the prices to update.  Heh.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 10:27:30 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #213 on: June 27, 2014, 10:22:30 AM

If you want Tropico 4 and don't want to spend the $3, I have a copy.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: June 27, 2014, 10:51:40 AM

Why do they keep wasting space on shit that isn't even 50% off? They should know by now what we're here for.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #215 on: June 27, 2014, 11:24:24 AM

want

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #216 on: June 27, 2014, 12:18:55 PM

Tempted to get Payday 2 so it can sit in the pile of co-op games I'll never play.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #217 on: June 27, 2014, 12:32:23 PM

Saw System Shock 2 was $1.49, so I bought it and while I was in there I tagged it "No Rollerskates".

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: June 27, 2014, 01:06:07 PM

In other online sale news, Gamersgate has the Mass Effect Trilogy PC for $10 (for 14 hours as I post).

Alas, it requires EA's rootkit malware.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #219 on: June 27, 2014, 01:19:54 PM

PSN had the ME trilogy for $15 early this month.  I had to snag it at that price.  I've played ME1 twice to completion, ME2 only halfway and ME3 not at all. 

So I'm committing myself this time. 
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: June 27, 2014, 01:31:11 PM

But didn't the root kit malware touch you in a naughty place?
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #221 on: June 27, 2014, 02:25:22 PM

want

Friend me on Steam if you haven't already. I'll shoot you the copy.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #222 on: June 27, 2014, 03:13:36 PM

I looked for a Paelos in the f13 group but you aren't there so I dunno how to find you.  It's possible I already have you friended but I don't know who you are because your name is something different.   awesome, for real  I'm currently named [f13]Samwise, steamid "samwise".

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #223 on: June 27, 2014, 04:07:43 PM

You can just search Paelos and I think I show up.

But perhaps not. I'll figure it out.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #224 on: June 27, 2014, 04:09:16 PM

I'd defer to Sjofn on that, I haven't played it yet, but on my friends list it says she had like 20+ hours in it or something.

dont judge me

(although some of those hours were afk)

Game Dev Tycoon is the kind of game I like, where you click on things to earn not-XP to get new things to click on. It's not super deep, but I enjoy putting together combinations and figuring out how to dole out my labor and such. I'm almost at 30 hours now, and almost out of shit I feel like doing (which is on the low side for me for Tycoon and/or City Builder type games, to be honest). For how little I paid for it, though, certainly got my money's worth.

I played it now. It's actually really fun. I found myself wanting to log off but instead just making new game combos for another hour. Go figure!

Worth the money! Buy now.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: June 27, 2014, 04:40:52 PM

Anyone interested in getting in on a 4 pack of Payday 2?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: June 27, 2014, 04:49:55 PM

Space Engineer caught my eye. Worth 14 bucks?
schild
Administrator

Reply #227 on: June 27, 2014, 04:52:02 PM

I wanted it til I watched the video of mods.

Suddenly it looked fucking stupid.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: June 27, 2014, 04:53:42 PM

Minecraft already fills the niche it seems to occupy for me.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: June 27, 2014, 05:56:27 PM

I still haven't gotten minecraft. I really should.

I'll grab it. In six months when I get around to it, I'll let you know if it sucks or not. :)
schild
Administrator

Reply #230 on: June 27, 2014, 06:01:45 PM

Notch is a dick now. Don't give him your money. Didn't you get the memo?
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: June 27, 2014, 07:20:20 PM

Space Engineers completely failed to grab me, but that was several builds ago.  It may be less opaque now.

As someone who never played Minecraft, I have to say that I'm enjoying Planet Explorers quite a bit.  But it is also very rough in places.  The structure and vehicle building stuff could be really cool, but right now they are sorta wonky.  But if you got your fill of mining, chopping, and building in Minecraft, this probably won't set your world on fire.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: June 27, 2014, 07:56:57 PM

Get Minecraft. Fuck whether Notch is a dick or not, it's still great. Important great. Like, you don't know games if you haven't tried it great.

The pricing on Steam sales really is baffling sometimes. A humorous typing instruction program that uses an old arcade game as its base for almost $7? When there's some fairly good shit going for $4 and under? Really?
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: June 27, 2014, 08:31:31 PM

Typing of the Dead is good fun.

Also, buy Minecraft. It's one of the best games every made; who cares if Notch is a dick?

schild
Administrator

Reply #234 on: June 27, 2014, 08:45:12 PM

I was being sarcastic.

Yes, legos are fun. Everyone knows it. We can move past that comment now.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: June 28, 2014, 01:37:51 AM

I have found a little local site where I can buy games seemingly cheaper than on Steam, and they practically all have steam codes.  Got Stick of Truth for approximately 20 euros, which is 50% off.  Also got Black Ops 2 cheaper for the boy, Steam had it on sale for 45 euros, but I got it for 20 as well.  Which is all just going to say that these steam bargains are not always the best deals in town.

As far as Stick of Truth goes, it is definitely worth the 20.  Probably even worth 30 if you are a South Park fan.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #236 on: June 28, 2014, 08:07:08 AM

Get minecraft and then shalke the tree Nix is in so he gets the server back up and running because the mod pack he's got is fucking sweet.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: June 28, 2014, 08:27:48 AM

Disclosure: I have a stupid number of hours in this stupid game for no good reason other than I started creating scenarios for it and for whatever reason both really like it and it's a good way to pass conference calls or just oddly scratch the same part of the brain that MMORPG quest grinding hit.

That said, I'd go TS 2014 over Trainz without any hesitation. Both are definitely DLC heavy, but it helps to remember that the DLC is different than other games - the fanbase tends to be rather parochial when it comes to what they want to buy.  Americans tend to focus on North America and Canada, Germans and Germany, Brits and England. Freeware and 3rd Party support tends to fill in the neglected countries.

But as for the Steam Sale - it's a good mix of stuff to toy around with at $8.24.  Hamburg is a really nice German route (though the German fanbase seems to come up with some straight up BS time sensitive scenarios).  London-Faversham is short, but gives you a neat high-speed train to toy around with for passenger runs.  The weak link is really Donner Pass.  Even though they've revised it somewhat, it's just not that interesting a route (at least for me) to run as it's predominately drive up a mountain, drive down a mountain (which some people really like doing, but I'm not one of them).  Also, half the career scenarios/Steam achievements are broken for it.
Still though - between the three, there's a good mix of long/short mainline runs, switching (or shunting if you're a Brit), and passenger runs. 
So I picked this up because my boy loves trains and anything to do with trains, and while I was at it I picked up a steam engine DLC package. I go into the game to play with the steam trains and there is literally no way to use them all individually without buying another 80 bucks worth of routes. Super frustrating.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: June 28, 2014, 10:12:42 AM

Is Shadowrun Returns worth playing through for 3.75?
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #239 on: June 28, 2014, 10:16:35 AM

Yep.

-Rasix
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: June 28, 2014, 01:25:12 PM

WTF, Banished is now only 25% off instead of the 50%.  I thought the previous day's Daily Deals were supposed to stay the same for 24 hours?
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: June 28, 2014, 02:48:28 PM

WTF, Banished is now only 25% off instead of the 50%.  I thought the previous day's Daily Deals were supposed to stay the same for 24 hours?

It's still 50% off ($9.99) on GoG, btw.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: June 28, 2014, 07:03:52 PM

Is Divinity Dragon Commander any good? It looks like a strange melange of flight sim, RTS, and talking with the crew of the Normandy.

And apparently you can marry an undead skeleton. So... yeah.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: June 28, 2014, 07:05:07 PM

Is Divinity Dragon Commander any good? It looks like a strange melange of flight sim, RTS, and talking with the crew of the Normandy.

And apparently you can marry an undead skeleton. So... yeah.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: June 28, 2014, 08:34:22 PM

Is Shadowrun Returns worth playing through for 3.75?
Yes. Shadowrun Returns is worth 4 bucks. Dragonfall is better, much better, in my opinion, but Shadowrun Returns was decent enough.

There's a sizeable community doing custom modules for it to, including some group trying to remake the old Shadowrun game -- NES I think?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam summer sale 2014  
Jump to: