Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:00:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Buh... Bu... Bill Watterson... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buh... Bu... Bill Watterson...  (Read 6705 times)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

on: June 07, 2014, 09:37:12 AM

« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 09:47:28 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 09:45:42 AM

As I commented on Facebook, this is kind of a Pyrrhic victory for his fans. Yea, we all want him back, but not on something so bland and stupid. We did get a nice low-res frame of mayhem though.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 04:11:55 PM

That's interesting, my avatar here since forever has been from pearls before swine.  Pastis has had others draw his strip before since he likes to make fun of himself, comics in general and is very self deprecating so I was wondering who had drawn last week's panels.  I would treat these comics for what they are, a cameo by a much bigger actor in a lesser known work.  Very cool and fun for long time fans of said work and perpexling for long time fans of the star in question.

Edit: Also the actual intro to the week's comics starts here.  Pastis often puts himself into the strip as a joke and his own strip characters hate or mock him.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 05:23:57 PM by Miasma »
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 06:31:43 PM

Today's strip (after the "Libby" run) is wonderful.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 06:15:37 AM

I'll admit, first thing I did at work this morning was pull those three papers out of the recycling bin.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 07:13:02 AM

As I commented on Facebook, this is kind of a Pyrrhic victory for his fans. Yea, we all want him back, but not on something so bland and stupid. We did get a nice low-res frame of mayhem though.

The sad thing is that given the state of newspaper comics today Pearls IS one of the good ones.

My paper has: Blondie, Marmaduke, Reruns of For Better or Worse, Charlie Brown, Dennis The Menace, Beetle Bailey, Dilbert, Get Fuzzy, Red & Rover, Agnes, Pearls Before Swine, Zits.

So, yeah, given that newspapers are read by geriatrics and comics are obviously by geriatrics looking for a nostaliga fix, Pearls is one of the better ones out there.  It doesn't challenge you a la Boondocks (which had a run then was cancelled within a month here.) but it can be subversive and critical without being too offputting like Agnes or crude like Get Fuzzy.

Good cartoons went online years ago, though there's still something to be said for the publication model with its exposure and paycheck.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 08:45:35 PM

Bill did good and got out when he ran out of gas and got tired of it. He never sold out and decided to go have a nice life after he had nothing more to say.

It is best if it stays that way, lest he become Jim Davis.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 05:43:42 AM

Jim Davis is an incorrect comparison.  Davis started from Day 1 with the idea of creating a marketing empire, choosing a cat specifically because it tested better.  He was a marketing and sales guy before he had the flash of insight about how he could work smarter, not harder.

You probably meant Charles Shultz or Mort Walker, whose creations lost all charm years ago.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 11:36:02 AM

But Snoopy really wants you to buy Life Insurance!

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 12:01:36 PM

There is a pretty good documentary about Watterson on Netflix that discusses the marketing aspects. Bill left a lot of money on the table by not marketing C&H - but by not doing so, I think he solidified the comic in history as one of the best. I am glad for this. Takes a huge pair of stones and a rock solid vision of your product to turn down millions.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 05:58:14 PM

I loved Calvin and Hobbes but Bill is crazytown. Straight fucking crazytown.

Marketing that shit would not have ruined the comic. There isn't a transitive property of suck associated with the original work of a thing. TMNT is not worse because of the shit today. Godfather 2 didn't suck after Godfather 3. Matrix 2 and 3 didn't hurt The Matrix. Thief 3 didn't make Thief worse. Blah blah, etc etc.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 09:15:31 PM

Do you think the original Star Wars trilogy would have been different without merchandising considerations?

(I get that his work could have operated independent of other considerations, but it's my opinion he wanted his work to be the dominant medium of visibility for Calvin and Hobbes, and not what would have likely been the more prominent consumerism machine. I don't see the craziness in that.)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 09:18:23 PM by Maven »
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 10:46:01 PM

The implication that Lucas created Star Wars without the intention of marketing the fuck out of it and putting stuff in it for his kids is already absurd.

So. No, as it is an impossibility.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 04:32:14 PM

Also the marketing thing has made C&H a particularly American thing, it's not know much in Australia or other English speaking countries, unlike others, as far as I'm aware.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 08:29:07 PM

The shelves of Calvin and Hobbes books I saw in Ireland in its hayday would call you a liar, and my Girlfriend from Germany was VERY familiar with C&H.

Hic sunt dracones.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 20, 2014, 09:57:21 PM

Maybe just Australia then.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 02:27:02 AM

Maybe just Australia then.

Ummm...no. Syndicated in our newspapers (Sydney Telegraph for years and am piety sure it was in the Melbourne papers too) and books in the bookstores.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 03:39:47 PM

Since someone else bumped the thread anyways, last week the strip focused on Jim Davis.

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 06:45:22 PM

for what it's worth, I, an American, first saw Calvin & Hobbes in Sweden in the mid/late 80's.  Then I searched it out and finally got the jokes as soon as I got back home!  awesome, for real
jag toalla litte svenska.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #19 on: August 15, 2014, 06:57:45 PM

Watch Dear Mr. Watterson on Netflix sometime.  C&H was an international phenom, translated into multiple languages. 2,400 papers worldwide at its peak.
http://nypost.com/2013/11/16/new-doc-explores-the-enduring-cult-of-calvin-and-hobbes/

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #20 on: August 15, 2014, 08:55:33 PM

Did anyone link Calvin and Muad'Dib yet?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 08:57:24 AM

I owe you another beer for this.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Buh... Bu... Bill Watterson...  
Jump to: