Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:12:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Halt and Catch Fire 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Halt and Catch Fire  (Read 2998 times)
Shannow
Terracotta Army

on: June 03, 2014, 12:01:52 PM

AMC's new series regarding the PC boom in the early '80s .

Caught the first episode on Sunday, it was entertaining but not riveting. Two things though that I really enjoyed: It's the early '80s, so basically I can relate shit back to my childhood (when we called PCs IBMs, floppy disks! etc etc). The acting/actors, the fact that they LOOK so '80s is a big plus to me.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 01:36:39 PM

The girl looks like Mary Stuart Masterson, circa Some Kind of Wonderful. That's enough for me.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 06:53:04 AM

The first season turned kinda meh.

The second season has gone in an almost completely different direction.

Female characters from the first season are now the lead and are running an online gaming startup. Worth a second look I think.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 02:13:01 PM

We really liked the first season, and this looks like a completely plausible development from there. I'm psyched :)
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 04:46:09 PM

Just finished season 2. Fucking exceptional. Goddamn.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 09:50:02 AM

Just finished season 2. Fucking exceptional. Goddamn.
Fargo/Breaking Bad/Mr. Robot good?

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 10:16:09 AM

I just started watching Mr. Robot, literally, I'm like halfway through the first episode. I couldn't get into Breaking Bad. I haven't yet bothered with Fargo, that'll likely be a binge when the series is totally over.

Time's season 2 finale article was titled "Halt and Catch Fire Became the Next Mad Men When It Stopped Trying to Be." Don't read it, because spoilers, but yeah, it's a pretty accurate statement.

Edit: Also, it's basically about a goddman indie dev studio making a BBS in the early 1980s and a bunch of companies surrounding it. It alternates between tech nonsense and human drama, and it's excellent.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 02:12:30 PM

Fargo/Breaking Bad/Mr. Robot good?

I would say no, though not terribly far behind. First season is pretty rocky. Second season is a marked improvement. If it continues improving, it might get there.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 02:15:04 PM

I haven't yet bothered with Fargo, that'll likely be a binge when the series is totally over.

You know that it's an anthology series, right? Each season is a separate storyline. There's some references between seasons, but you could watch season two never having seen season one, and you'd be fine. You're missing out on some damned fine media by waiting.
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 07:54:22 AM

I haven't yet bothered with Fargo, that'll likely be a binge when the series is totally over.
You know that it's an anthology series, right? Each season is a separate storyline. There's some references between seasons, but you could watch season two never having seen season one, and you'd be fine. You're missing out on some damned fine media by waiting.
I did not know this. But it actually decreases my interest in it.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 09:03:32 AM

Not to Hijack the H&CF thread, but the connection between Fargo seasons (and the movie) is not weak... they feature different cast, but tell parts of a larger story that all works together.  I sat down and rewatched the movie and both seasons in a long weekend - the connectivity and reliance between stories is deep.  They stand alone - and together - incredibly well.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 09:53:59 AM

To reiterate, you absolutely should not skip Fargo the series for any reason. It's just that goddamn good.

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 08:14:38 PM

To reiterate, you absolutely should not skip Fargo the series for any reason. It's just that goddamn good.

Why don't you try our other games?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Halt and Catch Fire  
Jump to: