Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:39:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Neighbors 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Neighbors  (Read 841 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

on: May 27, 2014, 08:54:17 AM

It's a Seth Rogan flick, so it's going to be dumb. It was dumb. The movie as a whole is pretty uneven, as there are parts where you're smiling and nodding, parts where you're laughing, and parts where you just want them to move the hell on with it. Lisa Kudrow is in this as a Dean briefly, and her performance is painfully phoned in. Basically all of her scenes left me questioning why the hell she was even given a cameo in this.

The frat parties are well shot, and you do get a college nostalgia feel if you're in your late-20s-early-30s. Hot chicks, booze and weed everywhere, and a solid soundtrack. The dialogue goes from really believable to forcefully hackneyed and awkward.

Seth Rogan's wife is played by Rose Byrne, who really steals the show in my mind. She's cute, funny, has believable dialogue, an Australian accent, and plays a perfect foil to Seth being an idiot.

The main issue with the movie is it's all over the place. It's supposed to be an escalation of behavior, but it doesn't really feel that way. It sort of plods along in this odd reactionary montage of stupid. While it can be funny, I think the director basically blew it, or the cutting room floor really took it's due.

Verdict: Rent it when you're drunk.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 09:59:11 AM

Rose Byrne was the only thing I enjoyed in this movie. I saw it a couple weeks ago, but am struggling to think of a single scene that made me actually laugh out loud.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 10:45:35 AM

Yeah, we saw it right when it came out but if you asked me what happened in the movie, I really couldn't tell you.  Some of the bits were really off humor-wise, like Rogen having to "milk" his wife because she couldn't pump or nurse why?  It took until partway through to movie to realize that they lived in a college town and that's why the frat was there, although the whole movie would have been pre-empted by some basic laws such as noise ordinances and keeping your trash off the lawn, stuff like that. 

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 11:09:58 AM

It's not a thinker, no. I thought the scenes where the parents both show up to the fraternity trying to look cool, and partying with them were amusing. There were amusing parts of the whole, but nothing uproarious.

The whole premise was ridiculous, but no less ridiculous than Old School. However, Old School blows this thing out of the water because the writing and direction is so much better. Also, I don't think I've seen Seth Rogan be really funny. Yet I keep going.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Neighbors  
Jump to: