Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:23:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Gordon Walton Leaves SOE 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gordon Walton Leaves SOE  (Read 34273 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #35 on: March 10, 2005, 07:52:52 AM

Avoiding that sort of thing is why Trammel was born. You can't have it both ways.
I don't want a virtual world, I just want MMO Morrowind instead of MMO Diablo.

We already have that. It's called EQ1. There's an overarching story that is hidden so well, only 1% of the players ever have the perseverence to see it. There's tons of mobs you can bash over and over again to level up. There's quests everywhere, many of which have nothing to do with each other. There are long travel times full of nothing in between them (or there used to be before the Nexus and POK).

The only thing I know of that Morrowind had that EQ didn't was thieving.

Mi_Tes
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: March 10, 2005, 10:46:45 AM

Give me multiple paths of advancement, quests that can be completed in more than one way, visual fluff to define my character, and a faction system with a little depth to it for starters.

I don't want a world so realistic that I get mugged and left in a gutter on the way to virtual work, but I do want a world that notices things I do and reacts in some fashion.  Is this too much to ask?

It shouldn't be too much to ask.  I also want choices and uniqueness, not to follow the same path everyone else has to get the same shiney item everyone else has.  Throw some CoH character creation into an AC1 type of skill progression (no skill trees), in a world more like Mythica was going to be where quests could be completed in different ways to get to the shiney (not just one where you do x and get y).  Add to it other ways to advance in MMO's besides just killing crap (why not advance by crafting or by solving a puzzle - at least try some of these types of quests) and at least some persistance where what you do has some small impact on the "world".  That is the game I would love to play someday!

We never do anything half-assed, with us its either full-ass or no-ass!
To win is not always a victory, to lose not always a failure.
Akkori
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: March 15, 2005, 10:01:41 AM

No word on Gordon yet, but this just popped up on the Dev Tracker...

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/board/message?board.id=Announcements&message.id=492#M492

JustG wrote:

We would like to announce that Jon "Calandryll" Hanna has left our team and is moving back to the east coast to be closer to his family.  As a result of Jon’s departure Diane "Tiggs" Migliaccio has assumed the role of Director of Community Relations for Star Wars Galaxies.  We wish Jon well and congratulate Tiggs on her new role!

I love the position : "You're not right until I can prove you wrong!"
schild
Administrator

Reply #38 on: March 15, 2005, 10:22:11 AM

I think Tiggs threatened to ban me once. Maybe I'm just getting her confused with someone else. I liked Calandryll. This is sad.

Tiggs has probably stepped into what is most likely a bigger shitstorm than the WoW community manager position. Best of luck, you'll need it.

Should I say something I know about Gordon here? I don't know. Maybe I should just make threatening faces to the devs so that they step up to the plate.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: March 15, 2005, 11:20:27 AM

Damn, Jonathan Hanna too?  Although they give a "family" excuse, I can't help but wonder if it's not people fleeing a sinking ship.

Strange they'd still not mention Gordon's departure, though.

Bruce
schild
Administrator

Reply #40 on: March 15, 2005, 11:21:41 AM

Damn, Jonathan Hanna too?  Although they give a "family" excuse, I can't help but wonder if it's not people fleeing a sinking ship.

It's not people fleeing a sinking ship.

Strange they'd still not mention Gordon's departure, though.

No, it's not strange.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: March 15, 2005, 11:29:16 AM

Thank you, John Smedley.

Bruce
schild
Administrator

Reply #42 on: March 15, 2005, 11:30:52 AM

Thank you, John Smedley.

Look, jackass. Sony has enough money to simply not let any of it's ships sink. Particularly SOE given they're probably the only qualified people in the company that can run those MMORPGs. Also, it's not strange Gordon wasn't mentioned, simply because maybe it was a terrible split. Maybe no one wants to mention it. Bruce, if someone wanted to tell you, they would have.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: March 15, 2005, 01:14:29 PM

SOE posted at least 15 job openings on March 9th. Two positions they are promoting on the Planetside login are Designer for Planetside and Community Manager for Planetside and EQOA.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: March 15, 2005, 01:16:31 PM

Er, yeah, someone did tell me, so I guess they wanted to tell me.

Usually even in a terrible split, when the person is visible in the community and has a high position, it gets announced.  Not the details, of course; just that the person is no longer with the company if nothing else.

"Ships sinking" is a metaphor, and shouldn't be taken to literally.  Of course I don't think SWG is going to close down imminently.  However, I do think this is a sign that it's on the decline and good people aren't willing to or aren't being allowed to try to make it better.

Bruce
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #45 on: March 15, 2005, 01:21:50 PM

Didn't both of them just get put on the SWG team?

SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: March 15, 2005, 01:23:20 PM

Yes, they did.  Late last year I believe.

Bruce
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #47 on: March 15, 2005, 01:24:27 PM

Then I think we can officially measure the length of time a decent man will put up with being shackled to an albatross.

schild
Administrator

Reply #48 on: March 15, 2005, 06:16:32 PM

I've spoken to Calandryll and I guess we're the first to have the news.

He's the director of Community Relations at Turbine. F13.net will have constant contact with Turbine Entertainment now.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: March 15, 2005, 06:18:38 PM

They are powered by fans you know.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
schild
Administrator

Reply #50 on: March 15, 2005, 06:22:05 PM

They are powered by fans you know.

That was terrible.
Sayre

Email
Reply #51 on: March 15, 2005, 11:36:40 PM

He's the director of Community Relations at Turbine. F13.net will have constant contact with Turbine Entertainment now.

* dm^O_o was kicked by Boogaleeboo (Yeah, it's hard to have constant contact with Turbine)
* dm^O_o has joined #hate
schild
Administrator

Reply #52 on: March 16, 2005, 12:04:28 AM

* dm^O_o was kicked by Boogaleeboo (Yeah, it's hard to have constant contact with Turbine)
* dm^O_o has joined #hate

Sorry Ray, you are banned from using this forum!

Just can't stay away, can you?
Calandryll
Developers

Would you kindly produce a web game.

Reply #53 on: March 16, 2005, 06:41:36 AM

Just give me a chance to get situated here. Between the move, getting to know all of the projects, and learning to drive in the snow again, I've got a lot on my plate. :)
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: March 16, 2005, 06:57:06 AM

[

Is the consensus that you can't?  I think that the problem is balancing open pvp is just too difficult for the current crop of devs.  At least I sure hope thats the problem.

The problem isn't the devs, it's the players. See my inner asshole post about open pvp

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Mi_Tes
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: March 16, 2005, 07:14:57 AM

Just give me a chance to get situated here. Between the move, getting to know all of the projects, and learning to drive in the snow again, I've got a lot on my plate. :)

I am jealous, I want snow!

We never do anything half-assed, with us its either full-ass or no-ass!
To win is not always a victory, to lose not always a failure.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #56 on: March 16, 2005, 08:01:49 AM

NO SNOW!  No more snow, please God, no more snow....

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #57 on: March 16, 2005, 08:52:17 AM

You will, of course, give us all the free betas on Dungeons and Dragons Online that you can. The power of Christ compels you.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #58 on: March 16, 2005, 09:15:00 AM

Give me the Wand of Orcus now, please.

I have never played WoW.
Calandryll
Developers

Reply #59 on: March 16, 2005, 10:31:04 AM

You will, of course, give us all the free betas on Dungeons and Dragons Online that you can. The power of Christ compels you.
I kinda figured I had no choice in that matter. :)
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #60 on: March 16, 2005, 10:52:10 AM

Hmmm....seems like a big risk giving people here a free beta...

If even cynical, jaded  bastards like us like your game, then it should probably do well.

If it's a bomb, well....Negative reviews from a visible site are never good.

Regardless...

Yes Please, I'll take a free DDO Beta Pass....and also a MEO pass as well.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #61 on: March 16, 2005, 11:00:29 AM

I'll test anything for a while, and I'll become a glowing fanboi if I like it. If I hate it, I'll spew piss and vinegar.

As for Haemish, if his reviews are indications he wants a sign pointing to the fun. Please add this to the game.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #62 on: March 16, 2005, 11:12:08 AM

And just so we don't forget our past, right next to the sign for fun, put a sign that says "Monsters" on it with a big arrow. Because one can never have enough patronizing signage in an MMOG.  evil

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #63 on: March 16, 2005, 11:22:52 AM

And just so we don't forget our past, right next to the sign for fun, put a sign that says "Monsters" on it with a big arrow. Because one can never have enough patronizing signage in an MMOG.  evil

If you take Haemish's good advice, you may as well rename it, "The Fable of Horizons".

I hope you're writing all this down.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Calandryll
Developers

Reply #64 on: March 16, 2005, 12:32:32 PM

Hmmm....seems like a big risk giving people here a free beta...

If even cynical, jaded  bastards like us like your game, then it should probably do well.

If it's a bomb, well....Negative reviews from a visible site are never good.

Regardless...

Yes Please, I'll take a free DDO Beta Pass....and also a MEO pass as well.
Well I am not promising anything. Besides, that's what NDAs are for!

Seriously, reviews will come eventually no matter what. Personally, I'd rather hear from the cynics than the fanboys anyway.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #65 on: March 16, 2005, 01:31:05 PM

I only charge $5 for emails saying that your game sucks.

I have never played WoW.
WayAbvPar

Reply #66 on: March 16, 2005, 02:34:36 PM

Good luck in your new place, Cal. Glad you are working on something that still has a chance to not suck.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: March 16, 2005, 02:42:27 PM

I'm far more interested in DDO than MEO, myself, but I'd certainly like to try them both out. :)

Bruce
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 04:16:48 PM by SirBruce »
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: March 16, 2005, 02:56:19 PM

I'm far more interesting in DDO than MEO, myself, but I'd certainly like to try them both out. :)

Bruce

Oddly I have little interest in MEO myself. DDO I'd give a shot. Well..MEO if it was free, who am I kidding?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Gordon Walton Leaves SOE  
Jump to: