Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:30:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: FIFA World Cup 2014 (Brazil) SPOILERS: Read at own risk 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: FIFA World Cup 2014 (Brazil) SPOILERS: Read at own risk  (Read 137788 times)
WayAbvPar

Reply #105 on: June 14, 2014, 09:18:35 AM

LOLSpain.

DVR'ed all 3 matches yesterday, and watched them all. Glorious day of great soccer.

Somehow my chlidren let me sleep in this morning. Woke up at 9:04am and thought, oh Columbia v Greece just started. I am sure I didn't miss anyt....welp.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 11:25:13 PM by Trippy »

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #106 on: June 14, 2014, 09:29:27 AM

Very excited about the Azzurri's debut tonight (midnight CET): we're a big question mark, and nobody knows what to expect, really, no matter the Euro championships final of two years ago. Oh well, can't go worse than four years ago, right?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #107 on: June 14, 2014, 09:31:47 AM

Watching all these games on Univision is having an odd side effect of making me learn Spanish.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: June 14, 2014, 10:42:52 AM

So I decided to try the WatchESPN Roku app just to see if my comcast account with no espn sub would work...and the Roku app did not ask for authentication at all. So if you are on Comcast internet with a Roku you might be able to stream Engkish language for free.

I did get the Univision app on my iPad to airplay to my appleTV if espn fixes the glitch just in case.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: June 14, 2014, 11:43:20 AM

why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: June 14, 2014, 11:57:56 AM

Is anyone else getting a chuckle at the FIFA ads along the sideline saying "Stand up to Racism"?

Maybe Sepp had them cook that up last minute...

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: June 14, 2014, 02:16:55 PM

LOL at the Facepalm Cup pic :D

Uruguay - Costa Rica

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: June 14, 2014, 02:22:27 PM

Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: June 14, 2014, 05:04:56 PM

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: June 14, 2014, 05:15:43 PM

England vs Italy

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #115 on: June 14, 2014, 10:23:58 PM

Uruguay - Costa Rica

England - Italy

« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 11:26:10 PM by Trippy »

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #116 on: June 14, 2014, 11:27:08 PM

Stop with the spoiler tags. This thread is silly right now.
WayAbvPar

Reply #117 on: June 15, 2014, 05:09:10 PM

^^

If someone clicks on this thread and gets spoiled, they are fucking retarded.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this World Cup. Hoping I can still say that in about 24 hours. I know Klinsmann has been training the shit out of this team to prep for this match in the goddamned rainforest, so hopefully fitness wins out. Although I am sure heat and humidity aren't exactly strangers to Ghana  awesome, for real

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: June 15, 2014, 05:53:24 PM

Bosnia really showed great form today against Argentina. If that own-goal didn't happen, that would have probably been a draw. And Messi is insanely good on the dribble. I think he is using stick'um.  why so serious?

As for France... was really hoping Benzema was going to get awarded that goal off the post to get the hat trick. Shame on that. He seemed always in the right spot all game.

Finally that Swiss game. Holy shit. I leave to go for a nice walk in the park at half with them losing - enjoy the walk, come back at the 88min mark and watch them win it in stoppage time.  ACK! Amazing. More so because the ECU could have put it away not 30 seconds prior with the ball inside the box and what looked like a decent look. Oh well. Was rooting for the Swiss anyway and was not disappointed.

OK... think I spoiled each one there.  awesome, for real

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #119 on: June 15, 2014, 05:59:36 PM

Gotta give full marks to the ref in that Switzerland game for giving an advantage on a foul and sticking with it. And to the Swiss player who got knocked the fuck down on the play, got up and still made a pretty killer pass to the wing.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: June 15, 2014, 06:01:09 PM

That Swiss ending was wacky. At the beginning of extra-time it really looked like both teams were going to be content to just pass the ball around and take the draw then 90seconds later it was furious paced attacking for both sides.

Bosnia played a good match, I think they will probably end up making it out of group play if they play like that.

Messi's ball handling skills are just insane. Argentina really needs to figure out how to attack better with that original lineup they had because defensively in the second half they were super-vulnerable.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: June 16, 2014, 03:02:41 AM

In the last couple days I watched:

- First half of Ivory Coast - Japan
- France - Honduras
- Argentina - Bosnia 'til the 2-0 by Messi

-I thought Ivory Coast sheer physicality would prevail over Japan from the get go, but Zaccheroni (Japan's manager) managed to put out a very disciplined team, with good enough technical skills, and the first half was all about that, since Ivory Coast possession and placement all over the pitch was a confused mess.

- France vs. Honduras....LOL, what a mess; national anthems not playing, "goal-line" technology showing both the "goal" and the "no goal" with the referee getting confused; Honduras players trying to kill France players with tackles. But yeah, can't really get worse than the central american team. France didn't really impress me.

- Argentina vs. Bosnia: Argentina still doesn't have a peculiar tactical identity, nor a particular style of play. That often happens in national teams with such amount of talent and the tactical anarchy of their best players. The potential, and that has been true for the last 8 years, is HUGE. Messi is the icing on the cake.
Still, when they'll be put under pressure by continuous attacks from the best teams of the competition (Germany, Netherlands, Brazil), I'm not sure their defensive players will be up for the challenge.
Finally, great game by Bosnia; pity that they lack a quick, short and unpredictable player in the advanced midfield. Dzeko is great but would benefit even more with a player with those characteristics.
---

Today, Germany vs. Portugal should be very good; good luck to the U.S. against Ghana :D

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #122 on: June 16, 2014, 09:19:18 AM

Bosnia needs a David Silva to feed Dzeko.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #123 on: June 16, 2014, 09:37:59 AM

What. A. Moron.

-Rasix
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: June 16, 2014, 09:39:36 AM

Pepe, your clubhouse leader for stupidest moment at the 2014 World Cup.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
WayAbvPar

Reply #125 on: June 16, 2014, 09:39:44 AM

Portugal is a fucking joke.

e- nice half, Portugal. Have they canceled their hotel reservations for the knockout round yet?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 09:48:33 AM by WayAbvPar »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #126 on: June 16, 2014, 10:44:50 AM

What. A. Moron.

Yep. Just utter useless stupidity. I mean it isn't like Portugal were presenting any danger before but forget about it now. Love how Rinaldo is not expected to defend and yet still can't make much of an impact.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #127 on: June 16, 2014, 11:17:43 AM

This is a good week to live on the Iberian peninsula.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: June 16, 2014, 11:58:16 AM

I need to add that Germany might be the only team that can score four times and still bore me the fuck to sleep.  They are technically great, and I mean GREAT.  But fuck me, they are always so boring.  ZzzZZZZzzzzzzZzz. 

If Portugal doesn't put their shit together, they will lose to BOTH Ghana and the US. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #129 on: June 16, 2014, 12:33:28 PM

I do not understand how you can say that Germany's play is boring. Patience and methodical, yes. I only started watching football in 2006 but I like the German style of play. It's not Spain WC2010 exciting, but it's still great technically proficient football.

Also, Portugal do not look like a team. They look like a collection of marginal players thrown together around 1 entitled manchild with the abilities of a God (though the two abilities he seems to lack are defending and being able to play as an entire team by himself) and 1 entitled manchild who thinks he's as good as the first manchild only he isn't. I laughed my ass off when Nani tackled his own fucking player in the German box because he couldn't stand for someone else to have glory on a ball he thought was his own. Way to play as a team there, douchenozzle.

Also, no Contreao, no Alemida and no Pepe means very good things for the US side.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #130 on: June 16, 2014, 12:37:24 PM

Yeah I don't know how you can call Germany boring. Boring is going 1-0 up then putting 11 players behind the ball for the rest of the match. They scored, kept pushing, scored again, kept pushing, scored again and then again. A lot of teams would have just cruised that second half but Germany still went for it.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #131 on: June 16, 2014, 12:37:56 PM

Boring is going 1-0 up then putting 11 players behind the ball for the rest of the match.

Or in other words, Chelsea.  why so serious?

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: June 16, 2014, 02:42:41 PM

Germany was spectacular, head and shoulders above any other teams we've seen so far, IMO.

Mueller and Ozil are now more experienced than 4 years ago; Gotze is great, Kroos more and more a key player, and finally you have veterans like Lahm. Their possession shows they're quite confident in their game. Plus, they got better and what I think is the most important tactical aspect of football: the off-the-ball movement of the players. Germany, but the german league in general, finally mastered that, after years of much more boring (albeit still effective) football.

Brazil is still my favourite pick to win this WC, because of home (and referee :P) advantage, but then comes Germany and finally Netherlands.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: June 16, 2014, 03:01:54 PM

Ok, that was quick.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #134 on: June 16, 2014, 03:08:34 PM

Such ugly uniforms.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: June 16, 2014, 03:15:52 PM

Such ugly uniforms.

Yep, need moar blue and stars :D . But hey, lots of U.S. fans in the stands, didn't expect that many. Nice chanting too.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: June 16, 2014, 03:19:37 PM

And a vibranium shield

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: June 16, 2014, 03:23:55 PM

Looks like a muscle strain for Altidore. Bye bye world cup for him.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: June 16, 2014, 04:05:12 PM

So I got home and saw the score and thought it was like 30minutes in, then I looked at the clock and it said 4:23  ACK!

Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: June 16, 2014, 04:07:33 PM

Thank god for that goal because the USA has looked like shit thus far. Can't pass worth a damn.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: FIFA World Cup 2014 (Brazil) SPOILERS: Read at own risk  
Jump to: